PDA

View Full Version : Window moulding removal

phpd7102
04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Okay, does anyone know how or has anyone removed their window mouldings? I got the top chrome strip off pretty easy (1 screw and popping about 8 clips) but the chrome parts along the bottom of the 4 windows I chickened out on.

From the looks of the replacement black ones its just clips again but the idea of prying on those things with no knowledge freaks me out to much to just jump right into.

Anyone have the knowledge?

I posted this on the other board as well, between the 2 I hope someone can educate me.

08G8V8
04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
For the front doors, you need to remove the door panels because you need to remove the side mirrors.

These were a pain in the ass to remove because the clips are pronged and don't want to come out once installed without breaking the prongs on the clips.

Put some tape under the very back corner of the front trim pieces, and at both the front and back corners of the rear trim pieces. The reason for this is once you start pulling on the trim, it pivots and wants to dig that corner of the trim into the door and chip your paint. I got a chip on one door before I put some tape under the trim.

For the front trim, you pull up on the front of the trim and use a screw driver or something to dislodge the pronged clips from the retainer on the door. I believe there is only 1 clip at the rear of the trim.

For the rear trim, you pull up in the center of the trim, and then work on the clips. I believe there is 1 at the front and 1 at the rear of the trim.

Maybe you will have better luck removing the trim and not damaging the clips than I did, but I don't see how it can be done. Since you aren't re-installing the trim, it's not that big of a deal to break the clips. I figured I'd buy new clips if I ever decided to put the chrome trim back on.

Good luck. It will look so much better de-chromed. I have a black G8 and it changes the look of the car.

phpd7102
04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Great! Thanks for the info, not looking forward to removing the door panels.

08G8V8
04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Door panel removal is EZ!

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=300

Just make sure all the white and blue clips are removed from the door itself before you re-install the panel. Some pull out of the panel and stay in the door and need to be removed and re-clipped into the panel before re-installation.

Look at the first pic in post #3 from the above thread. There is a blue clip stuck in the door that shouldn't be.

-Ray-
04-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Great info guys.

mdogg
04-23-2009, 04:14 AM
Anyone happen to have some part numbers available for the clips that are prone to breaking? It would be great to have all of this info in a single place on the forum - and might make searching for it a bit easier too!

I think I'll be tackling a project of my own pretty soon too ;)

08G8V8
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
This is what I got from Crazy Paul back in November. I have not ordered any clips yet because I don't need them. Maybe Paul has got more information since then on the straight pieces:

For the straight pieces of door trim moldings he couldn't find any part numbers for clips.

For the long curved upper gutter drip moldings there were these.
Starting from the front of the car. Same both sides.
7 x 92207444
1 x 92207443
2 x 92207442