PDA

View Full Version : GXP Diffuser Alternative

kje141
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I am looking into an alternative for the GXP diffuser. This is what I have cooked up. Anyone feel free to tell me "not possible" since I do not have experience with these materials.

What if I were to use a dremel and completely remove the honeycomb part (that I do not like) that is a part of the GT diffuser. After that it would obviously be ugly so I would want to use body filler both there and were the red reflectors are then paint to match. Does the material of the diffuser remove the possibility of me being able to use body filler? I have never touched the stuff, but I wonder if the flexibility of the piece would cause the body filler to crack. Any one have any clue??

J Wikoff
04-22-2009, 07:23 PM
It'd probably simplify filling the area to just fill it without cutting the honey comb out.

kje141
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
It'd probably simplify filling the area to just fill it without cutting the honey comb out.

Maybe, but for the application of body filler I think it would need to be sanded prior to an application.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Body filler would crack, it's not flexible. You would have to use fiberglass, it's much stronger than Bondo.

DewieJr
04-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Body filler would crack, it's not flexible. You would have to use fiberglass, it's much stronger than Bondo.

+1 on this....plus I would say its easier and cheaper to just pay the $80-$90 bucks and get the GXP diffuser and be done with it. .02

eggydoo
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
maybe a carbon fiber diffuser? just need a mold to match the GXP diffuser

PerfectD3
04-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I would use fiberglass (kitty hair to be exact) and NOT cut the honeycomb. It would be a major pita without the honeycomb as a backer. Then again, I would just buy the GXP diffuser if I wanted to change that area of the car.

vert
04-25-2009, 03:42 PM
My idea is to cut the honeycomb out and replace it with an aftermarket mesh grille. I plan on to paint the visible part of the bumper cover matte black and probably fill the area in where the hitch goes.