PDA

View Full Version : Vararam Install for a Newb (to the mod scene at least)

foreosu
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
So I am planning on buying the Vararam intake tomorrow once I get home and can get my credit card (out of town tonight). In addition to the intake, I'm also planning on heading up to VMS for their tune, but its going to be a few weeks before I can get up there, so I have some questions. Please keep in mind that I've never modded a car before, as this is my first car that has ever been worth a damn.

Question # 1: Should I do the Vararam install myself now, before going up to VMS for my tune? I've read some reviews that said the car ran like crap before getting the tune, so I want to avoid that. If this is NOT the case, then let's move on to my next questions:

Question # 2: If the car will run ok without the tune, I'll install it myself as soon as I get it. How hard is this install though? Keep in mind that the only work I've ever done on a car is changing the oil, spark plugs, and replacing a couple alternators. So I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to working on cars.

Question # 3: What tools will I need? Just want to make sure I have everything on hand before getting started. I've got a lot of basic tools, but just curious if there is anything special that is required.

Thanks guys - I feel bad because I'm also asking questions on this forum and can never lend any good advise in return!

G8GXP4now
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Okay, I will chime in.

#1 A tune is not required but the ECM will have to go thru a "relearn" by disconnecting the battery. Since I had a mail order tune, I didn't have to do that step.

#2 If I can intall this thing, then anyone can. One area I'd like to warn you about : There is a small rubber thing that will drop down between the front grill and radiator once you remove the radiator mounts if you are not careful. Its not easy to get it out once it falls there.

#3 The only tool I needed was a flat head screw driver to install the vararam. You will need a 7mm socket to remove the stock air tube/MAF. If you are removing the airbox I hear you will need an allen wrench.

GRRRR8
04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Tune is not required to run, just to maximize performance. YES the tune is out of calibration when you move the MAF.

r33pwrd
04-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Very easy to install just set aside plenty of time so you do not rush! Mine ran fine without a tune or disconnecting the battery (I got a tune the next day)

PS im still trying to figure out wht the instuctions said you need a allan wrench??

G8GXP4now
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe that is just on the newer purchases. Did your setup come with a 90 degree elbow for the PCV tube? On the back of that page it mentions allen wrench.

99-LS1-SS
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Very easy to install just set aside plenty of time so you do not rush!

This.

r33pwrd
04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe that is just on the newer purchases. Did your setup come with a 90 degree elbow for the PCV tube? On the back of that page it mentions allen wrench.

yes

08G8V8
04-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Very easy to install just set aside plenty of time so you do not rush! Mine ran fine without a tune or disconnecting the battery (I got a tune the next day)

PS im still trying to figure out wht the instuctions said you need a allan wrench??

The allen wrench is to remove the bottom of the stock airbox.

r33pwrd
04-22-2009, 12:56 PM
The allen wrench is to remove the bottom of the stock airbox.

hmmm I didnt need that??

08G8V8
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I have not removed the base of my stock airbox yet, but I did see a allen bolt at the bottom of it. I just finished the install a little while ago.

norm8332
04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I have not removed the base of my stock airbox yet, but I did see a allen bolt at the bottom of it. I just finished the install a little while ago.

Vice grips work.

Kermit
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I installed my Vararam about 2 weeks ago and still have not gotten a tune yet, nor did I disconnect the battery. My car runs fine. I know it will "wake up" once I get a tune but still saving a bit more before I do that. Bottom line; don't worry about not having a tune yet. Take your time and you should have no problems. :)

g8_ogre_gt
04-23-2009, 07:16 AM
I took my time and did the whole thing in about 30 minutes, including removing all the factory intake stuff.
There was a whole lot of stuff that came out of the car. LOL

Did the battery disconnect and it ran fine right away. It's definitely learning what to do with all that extra air though. Has a nice snarl under throttle now (no exhaust mod yet).

foreosu
04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks everybody!