PDA

View Full Version : G8 vs CTS V

dukeofpg
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Both of these cars are an absolute thrill to drive. The V is more fun than any vehicle I have ever driven. In the end I chose to buy the G8 for a few reasons. The first is price. I got a stupid low price on a G8 that had gone home for the weekend with some one and came back on Monday when they did not qualify for the loan. The nose had bottomed out and had a 3 inch gouge in the underside and there was a door ding. All this with just 150 miles on the car.

The second reason is the interior room. While the differences are just inches, the rear accommodations are huge. Sit in both and you will agree.

The third reason is Utah. We have had some hard snowy winters and there is a lot of sand and salt used. If I had the Caddy, I would leave it in the garage till the sun comes out. Having that attitude, I would still be waiting for the snow to go away so I can drive. The G8 is an everyday car. While I still hate the weather abuse, I can put up with it.

The final reason is that I love to wrench on cars. The G8 affords tons of opportunities to build the car into a vehicle with tons of power and track ready. The V is the king. It has it all and I don't think I could do much to make it better. I drove tons of laps on the Monticello track with the CTS V, XLR V and standard CTS. It was the most fun driving day of my life without a podium finish. The car is flat out amazing with more luxury than any euro sport coupe could hope to have. (Well the M5 is close).

The Commodore
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
You made the right decision. The G8 GT is only a little slower than the CTS-V but is bigger and looks better IMO. Also the CTS-V has rear end problems, something that's not good if you want to modify. I was looking at a used CTS-V before deciding on a G8 GT.

This means nothing if you are referencing the new LSA CTS-V. If that's so then it's better than the G8 in every way other than size.

Darkside
04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, please specify which Cts-V. If I could comfortably afford a new V, then the G8 would be in a used car lot by now. The older V and I can see your point. I had a Mallett V which was alot of fun. Even with 430rwhp in it, I'm confident my H/C G8 would whoop its ass on the strip.

dukeofpg
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
It was the 2009 556HP CTS V that I drove in New York at the track. It is a great car, but I am very, VERY happy with the G8. I look forward to time under the hood. It is very therapeutic to make mods ie. engine, brakes, suspension ect... then crank the key and drive. The vehicle becomes you when you make a decision to surgically tear into it and then savor the augmentation! Whoops!! went a bit Froidian there. Sorry Sigmund, you were right.

Darkside
04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
You have a long road ahead of you to get on the same levels as the new V with a G8. I love my G8 as my dwindling funds will attest, but I know I'm just buying time until I get the new V.

Pulley, exhaust, and tune on a new V might make it the ultimate car IMO.

dukeofpg
04-22-2009, 05:46 AM
Trust me, I am aware that I will never have a G8 to equal a V. But I am having a blast driving what I have with a 5 year $340. a month payment at 0%. I even have taught myself not to lust for the V as I drive past the dealership. ( I lie so well) We chose to have 6 kids and educate them over lots of boy toys and a big fancy house. It is working out so far as two have earned PHD certs and we have 4 beautiful daughters in law and 3 wonderful grand children. Not too bad for a guy that spent more time in the Deans office than the classroom during High School. I always tell folks that I am a graduate of "FK" (Phoenix College).

jnak
04-22-2009, 05:54 AM
The V is a sweet car. I love the CTS and was pretty close to buying one (not a V) before I got the G8.

But like you, I have absolutely no regrets about buying the G8. What's just as therapeutic as wrenching is hitting the go pedal.

'02 ws6
04-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Honestly, at the time when my wife and I were car shopping I was set on a CTS-V, but fortunately we got the G8, and I couldn't be happier.

Now the new V is a beast, I would gladly trade the G8, hell even MY car the TA for one. They're just that sweet to me, but I don't have nowhere near enough money to afford one.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

99-LS1-SS
04-22-2009, 06:21 AM
I tried to talk my wife into the CTS-V and we could have swung it but she couldn't stomach the thought of me driving an "old person's" car. So, I got the GXP instead. I still wouldn't have minded have the factory supercharger.

'02 ws6
04-22-2009, 06:28 AM
What is it with that stereotype!?!? My wife said the exact same thing when I showed it to her. I kept bragging about the motor, HP, brakes,etc etc. She said, "Wow I didn't know they had dragstrips in retirement communities?!" Lol.

99-LS1-SS
04-22-2009, 06:31 AM
What is it with that stereotype!?!? My wife said the exact same thing when I showed it to her. I kept beagging about the motor, etc etc. She said, "Wow I didn't know they had dragstrips in retirement communities?!" Lol.

LMAO! Your wife and my wife might be related! I tried the same engine arguments. I might as well have been talking to Helen Keller.

We were riding down the road and it was a cold day. A Cadillac was in front of us and it, apparently, hadn't warmed up all the way yet because there was steam coming out of the tailpipes. My wife said, in a snide way, "must be because it's a Cadillac". She's never owned one and I'm not sure she's ever ridden in one but she refuses to buy one.

GTPprix
04-22-2009, 06:33 AM
The V2 is an incredible car, if they have the deals on them in December when I turn my CTS in that they do now I might get one for awhile ;) Then again my GXP will be making 600RWHP by then so who knows :\

99-LS1-SS
04-22-2009, 06:36 AM
The V2 is an incredible car, if they have the deals on them in December when I turn my CTS in that they do now I might get one for awhile ;) Then again my GXP will be making 600RWHP by then so who knows :\

Damn you Chris! Why must you torture me? lol

'02 ws6
04-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Yea sounds like a horrible life you're living right now with such shitty options lol. :)

GTPprix
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Damn you Chris! Why must you torture me? lol

Motivation :D Mod time man! Do eeeeeeeeeeettt!

Yea sounds like a horrible life you're living right now with such shitty options lol. :)

Hey I'm not 'bitchin I'm just sayin heheh V2 is an amazing car for the money OR if you are into tinkering like I am (I'm assuming most of you guys are) take a GT or GXP and upgrade it to the same level of performance (or close ect) :D

'02 ws6
04-22-2009, 07:07 AM
I was just being sarcastic no harm intended....I'd love to be in your position with a GXP and an option to get a V! :)

99-LS1-SS
04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
I was just being sarcastic no harm intended....I'd love to be in your position with a GXP and an option to get a V! :)

One day....one day....

The Commodore
04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
What is it with that stereotype!?!? My wife said the exact same thing when I showed it to her. I kept bragging about the motor, HP, brakes,etc etc. She said, "Wow I didn't know they had dragstrips in retirement communities?!" Lol.

Women have more car stereotypes than anyone. My ex was like that.

Darkside
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm good to go once their prices drop, my wife actually loves the V. If I suggest an auto, she'll actually push for one. :D

jnak
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Wow, sounds like everyone's wife is the same. When we were checking out the CTS, my wife said, "look, they put headlight washers on it because old people can't bend down to clean the headlights!"

G8GXP4now
04-22-2009, 11:58 AM
But Caddies are for old people. When we were 18 didnt we think 40s was old?

GTPprix
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Wierd, my fiance' loves the CTS; she steals it from me any chance she gets! Only problem I see is I really dont need another garage ornament at this point something would have to go and I cant really use a CTS-V as a daily driver in Michigan winter :\

bigtreepu
04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Wierd, my fiance' loves the CTS; she steals it from me any chance she gets! Only problem I see is I really dont need another garage ornament at this point something would have to go and I cant really use a CTS-V as a daily driver in Michigan winter :\

Are you adopting and can I be your 27 yr old son?

Darkside
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I cant really use a CTS-V as a daily driver in Michigan winter :\

Why not? It can't be much worse than the G8.

GTPprix
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Why not? It can't be much worse than the G8.

I wouldnt drive a G8 in Michigan winter either but the CTS-V rears are HUGE LOL

dukeofpg
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
This has been a fun post. My wife also thinks a caddy is for old people and I am a Grandpa!! She also thinks if I buy a Vette then she is certain that I am gonna look for a younger model bride too. I drive fast for ME! Not some bimbo.

ETIDMotorsports
04-22-2009, 10:35 PM
The "FK" huh? I am taking a class there right now lol I haven't ever run into someone who also calls it that

Trust me, I am aware that I will never have a G8 to equal a V. But I am having a blast driving what I have with a 5 year $340. a month payment at 0%. I even have taught myself not to lust for the V as I drive past the dealership. ( I lie so well) We chose to have 6 kids and educate them over lots of boy toys and a big fancy house. It is working out so far as two have earned PHD certs and we have 4 beautiful daughters in law and 3 wonderful grand children. Not too bad for a guy that spent more time in the Deans office than the classroom during High School. I always tell folks that I am a graduate of "FK" (Phoenix College).

rrchea
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I tried to talk my wife into the CTS-V and we could have swung it but she couldn't stomach the thought of me driving an "old person's" car. So, I got the GXP instead. I still wouldn't have minded have the factory supercharger.

hi,

i am new here. I also have a 200 9 G8 GXP phatom black (AUTO) for almost 2 months now.
i am looking at the Vararam ram air intake. I notice that was one of your upgrade. How do you like it? How is the noise? Does it perform as its claim?
whatever you can tell me i would love to here.

thanks

grandmacpubah
05-19-2009, 07:25 PM
hi,

i am new here. I also have a 200 9 G8 GXP phatom black (AUTO) for almost 2 months now.
i am looking at the Vararam ram air intake. I notice that was one of your upgrade. How do you like it? How is the noise? Does it perform as its claim?
whatever you can tell me i would love to here.

thanks

Oo how freaking random was that :threadjacked: ...sorry..lol and welcome.

Devilish34
05-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Went for a ride this afternoon and stopped at the Caddy dealer to drool all over
the 3 CTS Vs they have 2-Silver and 1-Red

timg8
05-24-2009, 07:01 PM
You can buy a GT and a sedan for the price of the CTS-V. One for winter and one for summer plus the joy of tinkering with 2.

Wait you can get 2 GT's or a sedan and a GXP for that price.

BTW-call me old all you want if you're gonna give me an 09 CTS-V...call me anything you want, just call me when you go to give it away.