PDA

View Full Version : VE vs RPM vs MAP

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Im trying to follow CPIG's tuning guide step by step for WB 02 users. I cannot find the VE vs RPM vs MAP table anywhere. I go to Engine>Airflow>General Airflow and it has a title for Main VE but directly under that is the title for Reversion. The only table I can find for VE vs RPM vs MAP is under cranking VE. This is both 2.22.3152.18236 and the beta 2.23. Anyone?

PS - This is the same post on HPT forums.

boomer
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
There is no actual VE table on the E38 PCM's. I would not use that guide exactly when tuning the E38s. I would just do a simple MAF tune with your wideband/narrowbands. what kind of mods do you have? Dial in your MAF part throttle fuel trims with your stock narrowbands so they equal 0 to -5%. I generally like to dial them in up to 7500Htz. 7500Htz+ you can tune with your wideband. you'll need to log with your histogram (MAF - AFR Error %). first you want to set up you PE table where you would like your AFRs to be across the RPM range. Then it will properly display the AFR error of your commanded PE table when doing WOT stuff.

If you need more in depth explaining just say so :)

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
So :)

PS - I've read every post you've had on HTP forums cuz you seem to be one of the few going your own route and actually talking about it. Did you pick up the tune@home books... how'd you learn all this stuff? I've been doing my own HW reading the forums and have Banish's & Hartman's books, but they both give generics as far as tuning.

parish8
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
what happens if you don't work on the ve tuning and only work on the mass air tuning?

boomer
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
So :)

PS - I've read every post you've had on HTP forums cuz you seem to be one of the few going your own route and actually talking about it. Did you pick up the tune@home books... how'd you learn all this stuff? I've been doing my own HW reading the forums and have Banish's & Hartman's books, but they both give generics as far as tuning.

I have just learned from trial and error really. and reading a lot of stuff on the HPT boards. I've had HPT for quite a while (since 2005). so i'm pretty comfortable with the software (but i am by no means a pro).

For a while I've been thinking about doing a decent little write up on some basic tuning methods for the G8's (MAF tuning with a wide band O2 sensor). mainly for people who are just getting started with using HPTuners since I've always like helping people learn how to use HPT (it's so fun! but not always the easiest to grasp).

what happens if you don't work on the ve tuning and only work on the mass air tuning?

Jim, coming from the truck world like you, i have always dialed in VE table first before touching the MAF. I know you had a pretty cool setup with the megasquirt and all on your truck. was that a MAF tune on that?

So far on my G8 I have had no troubles with only tuning the MAF. Trims stay very consistent from day to day and in big temperature swings as well. And as long as i have no positive fuel trims, my WOT AFRs always stay right where i would like them from day to day as well. thats after i get my WOT AFR Error % close to zero.

So i don't really see too many down sides to this tuning method. Cammed/forced induction cars might find different results though.

Steve
04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
For a while I've been thinking about doing a decent little write up on some basic tuning methods for the G8's (MAF tuning with a wide band O2 sensor). mainly for people who are just getting started with using HPTuners since I've always like helping people learn how to use HPT (it's so fun! but not always the easiest to grasp).

GO for it! We'll make it a sticky!

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Please! I get confident in this stuff at night, then the next morning I hesitant when I go to load it on the car! I'm not wanting a canned tune by any means, I just want to know the limits of what I shouldn't do and what I should do. LOL I'm looking for a mentor!

parish8
04-22-2009, 03:33 AM
on my truck i started with only the pe tables and that worked well for awhile. i have never messed with any ve tables. after i started adding boost to my truck there were funny things going on during transitions. lean spike kind of things. i am pretty sure that was because i wasn't messing with the ve tables.

on the g8 i am stepping up to the 2.5bar os before i even start to tune on it na. i want to be ready when i goto boost it. i have the 2.5bar os and a wideband and 2.5bar map on the way. i am going to learn to tune the ve tables like you are suppose to.

boomer
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
on the g8 i am stepping up to the 2.5bar os before i even start to tune on it na. i want to be ready when i goto boost it. i have the 2.5bar os and a wideband and 2.5bar map on the way. i am going to learn to tune the ve tables like you are suppose to.

Sweet, I really like the way the new 2.5 bar os looks. is it officially released for the G8 or are you going to be using the beta?

GTPprix
04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Is there a 2.5bar plug and play MAP for these cars yet? I need one that will fit in the maggie...

johnh
04-22-2009, 07:49 AM
I agree you shouldn't need to touch VE (or in our case the Coefficients) unless you change the cam or go FI. MAF tuning would be fine.

PerfectD3
04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Is there a how to out there for MAF tuning? Im at work and the military com guys block alot of sites from us (except forums, go figure!).

PerfectD3
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm looking for something like this, but for HPTuners...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8961