PDA

View Full Version : Single Turbo kits

Blown396
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Anyone have one available for our cars? I know of the TT APS kit, but I was curious if anyone has a single turbo kit on their ride? Whether it be a shop kit or a DIY'er.

EB

G8GT721
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
as far as i know there isn't one, so it would be a custom setup for someone

MtbDoc
04-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Martin Donnan (Aussie bloke who builds mucho fast LSx cars) has repeatedly stated that twins are MUCH better for these engines (as a family), as it is much better to keep each side of the engine operating 'in balance' (not exactly the words he uses, but that conveys the idea). This GenTT kits have done well in many applications. APS has also done well with their turbo kits. I really would think twice about trying to 'reinvent the wheel' unless it is for an absurd, one-off race car. For a DD if you want turbos, these kits would be my choice.

parish8
04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Martin Donnan (Aussie bloke who builds mucho fast LSx cars) has repeatedly stated that twins are MUCH better for these engines (as a family), as it is much better to keep each side of the engine operating 'in balance' (not exactly the words he uses, but that conveys the idea). This GenTT kits have done well in many applications. APS has also done well with their turbo kits. I really would think twice about trying to 'reinvent the wheel' unless it is for an absurd, one-off race car. For a DD if you want turbos, these kits would be my choice.

turbos and they way they are set up are pretty forgiving. for the most part if you can keep it from leaking it will work well. you can talk fluid dynamics and all kinds of other crazy shit but in the end if the exhaust if forced thru the turbo it will spin and if it is spinning it will make boost. it would be hard to not make more power than you know what to do with so long as the turbo was sized right.

the aps set up is a work of art and worth every penny if you have that kind of bank.

when i goto build a kit for my car it will likely be a single low price mp76. cheap ebay intercooler. log feed thru header on the drivers side and probably just a 3" down pipe tied into the stock exhaust. i would be surprised if it didn't break 600rwhp easy.

GeorgeInNePa
04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
turbos and they way they are set up are pretty forgiving. for the most part if you can keep it from leaking it will work well. you can talk fluid dynamics and all kinds of other crazy shit but in the end if the exhaust if forced thru the turbo it will spin and if it is spinning it will make boost. it would be hard to not make more power than you know what to do with so long as the turbo was sized right.

the aps set up is a work of art and worth every penny if you have that kind of bank.

when i goto build a kit for my car it will likely be a single low price mp76. cheap ebay intercooler. log feed thru header on the drivers side and probably just a 3" down pipe tied into the stock exhaust. i would be surprised if it didn't break 600rwhp easy.

Do you have any links to the parts you are describing?

parish8
04-22-2009, 03:38 AM
something like this but in a q trim and cheaper for the turbo >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Master-Power-Turbo-TO4E-T-76-%2f-P-TRIM-%2f-.96A%2fR_W0QQitemZ270288699804QQcmdZViewItem

something like this for the intercooler. they have a few sizes and i dont know what will fit the best >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Intercooler-Hybrid-30-75x11-25x3-Universal_W0QQitemZ180347789876QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item180347 789876&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

something basic like this header but custom built to fit the car.

http://www.trickperformanceproducts.com/images/turbofinal_pics/manifold_sideview.jpg

KenV
04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Parish: Do you have plans for the transmission in advance, or are you going to just upgrade it as any weaknesses come up? You've probably seen the Livernois example where a stock 6L80e gave up after 30K miles of 651rwp. Just wondering, as it appears I could build a decent single turbo kit for about 2K here. Thanks.

parish8
04-23-2009, 03:31 AM
Parish: Do you have plans for the transmission in advance, or are you going to just upgrade it as any weaknesses come up? You've probably seen the Livernois example where a stock 6L80e gave up after 30K miles of 651rwp. Just wondering, as it appears I could build a decent single turbo kit for about 2K here. Thanks.

30k at 651rwhp seems pretty good to me coming from the 4l60e in a 5000lb truck world. i don't worry too much about things till they break.

$2k might get you close on just the turbo kit parts. probably more in the $2500 range once you add up all the pipe, flanges, silicone, clamps, oiling stuff, air filter. just in wg, bov, turbo, intercooler you are up to $1300.

then there are fuel system upgrades and a tuning solution.

parish8
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
after looking closer at the aps kit they use the stock exhaust manifolds. that might be a good way to go.

only issue i see is low mount air filters. probably wouldn't effect me much but it might some.

KenV
04-23-2009, 06:52 PM
30k at 651rwhp seems pretty good to me coming from the 4l60e in a 5000lb truck world. i don't worry too much about things till they break.

$2k might get you close on just the turbo kit parts. probably more in the $2500 range once you add up all the pipe, flanges, silicone, clamps, oiling stuff, air filter. just in wg, bov, turbo, intercooler you are up to $1300.

then there are fuel system upgrades and a tuning solution.

Thanks for the insight. Since this is a work car I couldn't see going far past 500rw anyway. Plus it won't see the track aside from a "what'llitdo?" run or two.

Hopefully I'd be at half the cost of one of the complete kits by the time I finished up. But three grand that I put together as time passes beats dropping six for the kit in one shot, even though it's obviously a nice setup. The used part option may help things along, as I built a decent 383 for the Formula with good used parts from people who upgraded to 406/427 SBCs. At least that is what I tell my wallet before I drain it.

I haven't measured yet, but flipping both stock manifolds side-to-side and piping them to a single may work. I know the catted downpipes would have to go. I don't think the nose is quite that long. :)

johnh
04-27-2009, 05:24 AM
the Livernois example where a stock 6L80e gave up after 30K miles of 651rwp

IIRC that car was pushed very hard as well, so it wasn't like it "just broke".

Yeah I was wondering where a nice single turbo kit was...heck put one together for under $4K ...

KenV
04-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I was using Livernois as a worst-case scenario, where a car is put through its paces at every opportunity. I figure that a 30K figure on that car makes for at least that many miles in a heavier car at 500rw or so, given that I don't plan on dragging this car....just enjoying the drive to&from work a bit more. Well, a lot more. :D