PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking with HPTuners

Pages : [1] 2

PerfectD3
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
To those that are experienced, please chime in with some pointers or feedback. Also, anyone know how to load the data bit up for logging our shift times? I'm posting up my tranny tweak file, stock file, and a log that I took during the tranny tweak road test (albeit it wasn't logging any tranny parameters).

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f6c8940c07d1ef8cd6baebe61b361f7ce04e75f6 e8ebb871

PS - Charlie, you think you can add the .hpt and .hpl for attachments?

BTW - SOTP, I didn't feel a difference.

g8_795
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
PS - Charlie, you think you can add the .hpt and .hpl for attachments?

YES. We need this. I have been meaning to have them add this format for a while but I am lazy.

norm8332
04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
First, I'm not an expert in that I don't do this for a living.

Try disabling power downshift TQ management. It takes the lag out. It's not hard on it at your power level.

You could raise the shift pressures by about 20% IMO. Also you only adjusted the normal desired shift times, I'd do special and downshift too.

Good luck.

PS: I'd like to see attachment support too, as long as tunes aren't posted that were paid for.

Steve
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
YES. We need this. I have been meaning to have them add this format for a while but I am lazy.

Done

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 01:38 AM
:bump:

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Steve - How big can we upload as well? I want to say the standard .hpt file size for our car is 3.3Mb and the max .hpl that I have seen is 1.7Mb. Since I have seen very few people here even discuss HPT tweaks, I don't think it'll kill your server.

boomer
04-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Steve - How big can we upload as well? I want to say the standard .hpt file size for our car is 3.3Mb and the max .hpl that I have seen is 1.7Mb. Since I have seen very few people here even discuss HPT tweaks, I don't think it'll kill your server.

Testing, looks like it works :)

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Hey Boomer, I see your posts all over HPT forums in regards to the G8. Do you have any input as far as my tranny settings? I'm waiting for my WB bung to be welded in so the ECM is off.

PerfectD3
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
w00t! Got my WB bung welded in after work and the guy even fixed the rear hangers on my ARHs for me for free!

G8-4-Speed
04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Here is a copy of my G8 HPT file. Would say it is anything special but the trans works great. Changed all the shift points and properties. Worked very well on a second G8 I loaded it on. If you drop the shift times to .15, it will rip into 3rd also. Wouldn't change any of the pressure as I haven't seen a need. You can change the shift speeds enough to make it violent.:beer3:

PerfectD3
04-23-2009, 01:57 AM
You've done alot of changes, I'll have to look over it more in detail tonight. I hope you don't mind questions, I'm still trying to learn everything I can. I think I may use your rpm vs torque though, seems smarter than my 6042 across the entire range.

PerfectD3
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey that's not too bad. I'm going to scale my normal pattern back to somewhat stock for driveability~longevity's sake. I also got a good log for my maf calibration now and am going to work on it some.

G8-4-Speed
04-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey that's not too bad. I'm going to scale my normal pattern back to somewhat stock for driveability~longevity's sake. I also got a good log for my maf calibration now and am going to work on it some.

Thanks, it is a lot work to do it all so I did some "group" changes since I was so irritated with stock shifting.
I just re-looked at my setting and adjusted my normal vs A Pattern. Just a slight change.....since it was a little bias toward the normal. I changed all my shift points also since it was subburn about down-shifting. My shift points in "A Pattern" currently give me 6100-6200 shifts.

PerfectD3
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah I noticed a 2-3 flare though. Any idea on how to get rid of it?

GRRRR8
04-24-2009, 06:25 PM
HPT question. When you are doing a histogram and all the boxes have colors in them and numbers, then there are some that dont. I am lost. I searched HPs website..nothing that talks about it specifically, looked it 3 different books, and I know that this is how you are calculating, but I have clicked every help and cant get a clear understanding. I cant be that busy or stupid so what gives?

PerfectD3
04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Charlie,
If you are talking about boxes that remain white without any values, then that just means there wasn't any information for that spot collected. Either you didn't hit it (chasing kPa and MAF hertz is a bitch) or your minimum cell count for your histogram is too high.

GRRRR8
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Charlie,
If you are talking about boxes that remain white without any values, then that just means there wasn't any information for that spot collected. Either you didn't hit it (chasing kPa and MAF hertz is a bitch) or your minimum cell count for your histogram is too high.

The white boxes that a # pops up in. The blanks I understand, its the white boxes when a # shows up that I am trying to figure out. Do you know any good articles I can read about this?

PerfectD3
04-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Can you post up a screenshot? White with numbers may mean the middle ground for when you setup your histo. ie. 0 as your min 50 as your high, 25 (and around there) will show up in white.

GRRRR8
04-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I didnt save it since it didnt make any sense.

PerfectD3
04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
You remember what the number in white was? Double check your histo config it may have fallen into the middle that I was talking about in my last post.

PerfectD3
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Charlie, this is the pdf I pm'ed you about but mediafire bit the bullet on.

First table is 50 to 0 to -50
Second table is 20 to 0 to -20

It's an ugly pdf cuz Im on my mac and have to run HPT virtually.

johnh
04-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Here's mine.

My shift times are pretty conservative, and I did up the line pressure a bit.
Thanks to Boomer on some the settings.

Now I have all tqm enabled. There's a table called shift torque factor that will let you tune the tqm based on rpm/torque--I go from normally 90% of stock tqm to about 60% WOT. My car shifts softly and smoothly at low speeds, but WOT it will bark the 1-2 and sometimes the 2-3.

I'd like the to tune the AF ratio better, but I don't have a bung for my WB yet.

My car was very consistent at the last track outing 13.3s with good launch.

G8-4-Speed
04-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah I noticed a 2-3 flare though. Any idea on how to get rid of it?

Did you use the "Compare" feature on HPT when you changed your trans setting with what I posted? You may have missed a shift property adjustment. There are three SHIFT TIME adjustments. If you only adjusted the BASE, you will be missing it. When I tried to do a quick change for a guy at the track with a stock 09 running 14's, I only adjusted the BASE and was disappointed knowing how mine shifts. Went with all the adjustments and dropped the BASE shift times down to .15 with TM down to .3, now will even rip the tires shifting into 3rd with all the Properties adjusted.

Now we just have to calm down the NORMAL from SPORT.

If you have you BASE SHIFT TIME to far away form the other PROPERTY UPSHIFT and TRANSITION settings below it that could be where your flare is coming from.

ALSO make sure you DISABLE the DISCRETE TORQUE SHIFT TORQUE. It affects 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Bottom of center column in the SHIFT PROPERTIES.

If you use the COMPARE feature in HPT, you will find everything different in green and it will also show the difference.

G8-4-Speed
04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Question.....Since I haven't looked into it much, my DOD wont activate and figure it is just from dropping my DYNAMIC AIRFLOW Enable/Disable RPMS to 900/1000.

Anyone know what will all cause DOD not to activate when making adjustments?

As far as colors on tables, it would have to be out of range for the table properties not to show a color, OR it is a neutral number(center of the range).

G8-4-Speed
04-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Charlie, this is the pdf I pm'ed you about but mediafire bit the bullet on.

First table is 50 to 0 to -50
Second table is 20 to 0 to -20

It's an ugly pdf cuz Im on my mac and have to run HPT virtually.

What sensor inputs did you use.

PerfectD3
04-25-2009, 05:43 PM
What sensor inputs did you use.

The one I posted was for the MAF, but I was just giving him a generic "this could be it" scenario. If you want my histo I can post it up.

PerfectD3
04-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Did you use the "Compare" feature on HPT when you changed your trans setting with what I posted? You may have missed a shift property adjustment. There are three SHIFT TIME adjustments. If you only adjusted the BASE, you will be missing it. When I tried to do a quick change for a guy at the track with a stock 09 running 14's, I only adjusted the BASE and was disappointed knowing how mine shifts. Went with all the adjustments and dropped the BASE shift times down to .15 with TM down to .3, now will even rip the tires shifting into 3rd with all the Properties adjusted.

Now we just have to calm down the NORMAL from SPORT.

If you have you BASE SHIFT TIME to far away form the other PROPERTY UPSHIFT and TRANSITION settings below it that could be where your flare is coming from.

ALSO make sure you DISABLE the DISCRETE TORQUE SHIFT TORQUE. It affects 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Bottom of center column in the SHIFT PROPERTIES.

If you use the COMPARE feature in HPT, you will find everything different in green and it will also show the difference.

Like I said I didn't use all of your settings, but I will however go through it again.

G8-4-Speed
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
The one I posted was for the MAF, but I was just giving him a generic "this could be it" scenario. If you want my histo I can post it up.

That would be great if you had a histogram configuration file. Mine keeps giving me the "unsupported histogram" message.

johnh
04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Anyone know what will all cause DOD not to activate when making adjustments?

Disabling Cat over temp protection will do it. (COT)

johnh
04-26-2009, 06:23 AM

Can you explain this? The Initial and Final are listed as Percentages...not time.

G8-4-Speed
04-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Can you explain this? The Initial and Final are listed as Percentages...not time.

You are correct, they are percentages. I can only guess that they reference of a seperate value that is not shown and if you adjust the base time without initial and final that they don't match and can cause a flare or just be diappointing. Just like turning off DOD with COT disabled, there is no direct link but one affects the other. Same with shift points and trying to adjust them by RPM. OR even changing MPH shift points without making a difference. Shift points seem be changed by more than the last cell values. If the last three cells are the same it seems to want to MPH past the shift point or shift early if there is a big difference befoer the last cell. Sorry to ramble but it just brings up that some adjustments don't have direct link or reasoning that are easy to see unless you stumble across them. I don't have a clear answer for you on it.

The only example I have was the 09 I just started tuning on. With my 09, I made "group" changes before I installed the tune and never had any flares or weird shifting. Last week when I was at the track, there was a 09 G8 that showed up which I ended up messing with. There wasn't much time so I only did some basic changes to timing and trans setting. I only adjusted shift MPH, BASE Time, TQ Management, PE table, and timing. With a quick return road run, it had weak shifts. Even when I was more aggressive with time and TQ Management it was weak and even flared. When the rest of the trans shift properties were matched to mine, it was flat out EVIL with the more aggressive BASE SHIFT times, and .3 on TQ Management. If you look at the 09 Vette trans setting they are 0 for shift times.....see attached file.....Yes, it is an auto a6 vette..

Thanks on the DOD/COT. I turned it off at the track once and never turned it back on. ops....

shane
04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
good thread. ill be getting my Tuners tuners very soon..

timing and VE tables and all that are old news and pretty easy, its this tranny stuff i gotta learn..

PerfectD3
04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
good thread. ill be getting my Tuners tuners very soon..

timing and VE tables and all that are old news and pretty easy, its this tranny stuff i gotta learn..

There aren't any VE tables with the G8, it's all coefficient based now.

shane
04-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Really... thats new too..i was used to me 04 gto

johnh
04-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks, yep this ECM/TCM combo definitely has its quirks....

PerfectD3
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey Johnh and g8-4-speed, thanks for posting up your TCM tune. I ran around with johnh's for a few days and gotta say it is very nice. I have changed the TM values to .6 and made Pattern A shift just as fast as g8-4-speed and I gotta say that this hybrid between y'alls and the middle ground for the TM is awesome. Normal is nice and quick without being intrusive, Pttrn A is nasty, and 0 flares w00t!

shane
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
post it up?

i got mine yesterday and im looking around in it!

shane
05-01-2009, 06:11 PM
u guys getting a TCM u101 error once in awhile that goes away? this is just from flashing the stock tune in and out>?

PerfectD3
05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know the error code, but when you read the ecm/tcm it does pull a tcm error code. Just pull the TCM fuse under the hood for a minute and you will be good to go.

I left my netbook at work, but when I pick it up I'll post up my Johnh/g8-4-speed hybrid tune.

MtbDoc
05-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Guys, thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and experience. This is TRULY valuable. And the neat thing is that it is so easy to compare different tranny tunes and try them out. Now, if I could figure out what needs to be done w/ HPT when I go to headers and a smaller pulley on the maggie!

One SPECIFIC question: what about throttle tip-in stuff? This is in the TCM and I have been very displeased with this since installing the blower. Brian @ Magnuson has a guy looking at it, but it is annoying. Delay when stepping on the gas is NOT RIGHT!

G8-4-Speed
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey Johnh and g8-4-speed, thanks for posting up your TCM tune. I ran around with johnh's for a few days and gotta say it is very nice. I have changed the TM values to .6 and made Pattern A shift just as fast as g8-4-speed and I gotta say that this hybrid between y'alls and the middle ground for the TM is awesome. Normal is nice and quick without being intrusive, Pttrn A is nasty, and 0 flares w00t!

:headbang:

shane
05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
cant wait to check it out... ive just been browsing around and checking it all out...

thanks guys!

shane
05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
btw i am using the beta software 2.23 since i was having a small issue with the 2.22 disc

johnh
05-02-2009, 05:07 AM
if I could figure out what needs to be done w/ HPT when I go to headers and a smaller pulley on the maggie!

One SPECIFIC question: what about throttle tip-in stuff? This is in the TCM and I have been very displeased with this since installing the blower. Brian @ Magnuson has a guy looking at it, but it is annoying. Delay when stepping on the gas is NOT RIGHT!

To your first question, it would be some MAF tuning for the headers, then some Wideband tuning when in PE to check your AF Ratio with the additional boost. You also might have to pull some timing if you're getting KR with the additional boost.

Throttle stuff in the TCM?
Are you saying it literally hesitates or hesitates to go into PE mode? Sounds like its more a product of the ETC.

MtbDoc
05-02-2009, 05:46 AM
To your first question, it would be some MAF tuning for the headers, then some Wideband tuning when in PE to check your AF Ratio with the additional boost. You also might have to pull some timing if you're getting KR with the additional boost.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was thinking. I understand the basic principles but will likely get some help with this. I have debated adding a wideband (permanently) as I did in the GTO, as I have really wanted this car to be more of a 'set and forget' car.

Throttle stuff in the TCM?
Are you saying it literally hesitates or hesitates to go into PE mode? Sounds like its more a product of the ETC.

There is a delay in the opening of the [idiotic!] electronic throttle, much worse when cold. I'm not talking about PUNCHING it, but even an easy roll out from a stop. There is a throttle tip-in element in the TCM, and I haven't had time to read what they say about it over on the HPT board. It has been there ever since I did the initial flash with the maggie tune.

On a related note (and I will do a separate thread on this), I have a very early Magnuson kit, so the Superchips handheld that is supplied to reflash the ECM/TCM had on old tune. Drew @ Magnuson had me log in to the Superchips site, uploaded a different tune (TCM changes) but when I reflashed, all it had was TQM disabled. When I yelled at them and sent an HPT file, they were floored: the Superchips DIDN'T take all of the transmission parameters. They're trying to figure out why. They sent me an HPT file that had upped line pressure, shortened shift time, and the like (although it still had TQM disabled; I reset it at 50%). I intend to look at and play with all of the ones that y'all are posting around here.

shane
05-02-2009, 04:55 PM
here is my file ive been messing around

shane
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
btw anyone else notice under their logs what TPS% they are putting out? mine maxes at 88% everytime!

johnh
05-03-2009, 05:27 AM
That's normal....there's another TPS PID you can track that goes to 100%. For some reason that one shows 88% when you're full WOT.

There is a throttle tip-in element in the TCM, and I haven't had time to read what they say about it over on the HPT board.

Hmm..haven't heard of that one..guess I have some reading to do...

shane
05-03-2009, 08:32 AM
btw here is the new one i worked up after reading alot of your advice johnH over on the a6 thread on hp tuners..

shane
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Here is the newest one after some small tweaks

i have one slight problem on the 1-2 downshift in sport and normal mode in WOT it has a lag going on...when i had my superchips cortex tuner this wasnt as bad.. also in manual mode it gets rid of it..

pha|anx
05-03-2009, 01:52 PM
dear lord I have a lot of catching up to do when I'm back... 1 more week. then I can try to get my HPtuners to pull the damn file off my car, as all previous attempts (including the latest beta) have ended in fail.

:D awesome thread guys, keep it going! can't wait to try some of this transmission stuff out

johnh
05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Do you have the Superchips tune to compare?

shane
05-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep been comparing them..
you want to take a look at it?

do you have a recent tune i could look at?

shane
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
from a stop it feels good then barks the crap outta 2nd and 3rd goes in very firm and quick..

G8-4-Speed
05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is the newest one after some small tweaks

i have one slight problem on the 1-2 downshift in sport and normal mode in WOT it has a lag going on...when i had my superchips cortex tuner this wasnt as bad.. also in manual mode it gets rid of it..

Try adjusting your SHIFT PATTERN mph. You downshift points for first are too low. Once your rolling, and shifts into second there is too much mph for it to downshift. Try my SHIFT PATTERN for PATTERN A and see if that fixes it.

**** As a note, and this is my opinion.....It is easier on the trans to shift it a little slower so the clutches can engage/disengage than it is to drop the shift time to next to nothing and keep TQ at 100%. You don't want the shift time so fast that you are fighting two gears being on at once. You may not be able to tell it but the clutches and internal parts might..

It would be nice in the future if you can control the TQ time as well as the percentage.

shane
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
is that the only issue you've seen with mine?

shane
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Try my SHIFT PATTERN for PATTERN A and see if that fixes it.

you talking about the part throttle shift tables?
or you talking about the full throttle shift speed tables?

our full throttle ones are pretty close but i do see a big difference in the part throttle shift tables..

G8-4-Speed
05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
you talking about the part throttle shift tables?
or you talking about the full throttle shift speed tables?

our full throttle ones are pretty close but i do see a big difference in the part throttle shift tables..

Yes, fix the PART THROTTLE tables.

shane
05-03-2009, 07:58 PM
ok ill do that now... anything else catch your eye?

G8-4-Speed
05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
ok ill do that now... anything else catch your eye?

May have to back down the timing but do a scan first on a good WOT pull thru the gears to see what happens.

shane
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
yea my buddy who does alot of tuning is coming out this week for we can get the timing and fueling down..

Thanks again man...

johnh
05-04-2009, 03:26 AM
I concur on the fast shift times, my tune will shift hard on the upper rpms (because of the shift torque factor and torque factor multiplier), but easy on lower, and my times aren't super quick (.25 - .27 IIRC).

shane
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
im still trying to figure out 100% on the shift torque factor and torque multiplier...

shane
05-04-2009, 03:01 PM
ok i brought the shift speeds times up, but can someone explain what and how the (shift torque factor and torque factor multiplier) works a little better to me.. i see johnH and gt4speed have some differences in them...

johnh
05-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Shift torque factor is the base for Torque management.

1.0 = 100% .8 = 80%

On mine I use the shift torque adder and adder modifier to actually subtract additional torque management away during higher rpms. So normally I am at .9 or 90%, but if you look at the adder modifier table in my tune its negative so it subtracts all/part of the adder modifier, so at higher torque/rpms I reduce my tqm for harder shifts at full WOT and softer feeling shifts when cruising.

shane
05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
awsome man thanks!

MtbDoc
05-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Keep it coming! And FedEx just dropped off my Dell Mini9...and THAT is going to contain my HPT!

PerfectD3
05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
LOL Im running an Eeeepc and forgot the damn charger. LOL I still have 4 hrs left on the batt, these netbooks rock! Instead of bringing my Macbook Pro on my next deployment I'll be bringing the Asus.

shane
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
you gonna post your tune up man?

PerfectD3
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
LOL yeah bud, I'm currently in an exercise on base so I can only sit here bored and read the forums. We should be done sometime tomorrow and I'll be able to post it up when I get home.

shane
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok guys here is a few good questions from tonight..

my buddy just left who does ALOT of tuning on fbodys and vette's alotta ls1's
We knocked out a pretty good tune so far..... we are running some good timing with No issues at all with 93 octane..
we did some adjusting to alot of things and seems to work pretty good...

Now i got a few good questions ( has hasnt done a bunch of DBW except vettes) but one thing im sure you noticed is the massive timing pull in between shifts. im guessing thats where the SHIFT TORQUE FACTOR comes into play since the more we lowered it the less it would pull...so i guess the lower the number the less TM.

Other main issus the the 88% throttle. i know there is a fwe different things to look at but one is 88% and one is 100% it seems the 100 is going off pedal and the 88% is going off of what the motor is allowing.. any way around this?>

thanks again

shane
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
here is a scan of some cruising and a wot onramp run..

G8-4-Speed
05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Ok guys here is a few good questions from tonight..

my buddy just left who does ALOT of tuning on fbodys and vette's alotta ls1's
We knocked out a pretty good tune so far..... we are running some good timing with No issues at all with 93 octane..
we did some adjusting to alot of things and seems to work pretty good...

Now i got a few good questions ( has hasnt done a bunch of DBW except vettes) but one thing im sure you noticed is the massive timing pull in between shifts. im guessing thats where the SHIFT TORQUE FACTOR comes into play since the more we lowered it the less it would pull...so i guess the lower the number the less TM.

Other main issus the the 88% throttle. i know there is a fwe different things to look at but one is 88% and one is 100% it seems the 100 is going off pedal and the 88% is going off of what the motor is allowing.. any way around this?>

thanks again

88% is 100%. The timing is TQ management. If you disable or lower it to .500 or .300 it will take less timing. If you disable it, it will take 0 degree out during shifts.

shane
05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
i send you my file its down to .35..i see the one you sent me was .29

G8-4-Speed
05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
i send you my file its down to .35..i see the one you sent me was .29

Yeah, that'll destroy tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.......Shouldn't have anymore negative timing on the shifts.

The rest of the tune looks good. Curious how it likes the fuel and timing at the track. When are you going to get it to the track...

PerfectD3
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Here is my hybrid tune of Johnh and G8-4-speed. I still have yet to fully test the sport mode but I have been running this for a while now and am 95% happy with it.

shane
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, that'll destroy tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.......Shouldn't have anymore negative timing on the shifts.

The rest of the tune looks good. Curious how it likes the fuel and timing at the track. When are you going to get it to the track...

did you notice a good difference when going down to .2's on the shift factor?
With .35 it drops to 9-10 it seemed on avg... better than the -13 or so with it set at .7..

I plan on going VERY soon,maybe this next tuesday.. but the 27* seems to work pretty good on the street.

G8-4-Speed
05-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Here is my hybrid tune of Johnh and G8-4-speed. I still have yet to fully test the sport mode but I have been running this for a while now and am 95% happy with it.

Are you happy with the downshift/upshift points? Mine would irritate me when it wouldn't downshift to first from a roll. Had similar issues with other gears.

Looks like you found a happy mid-way between Normal and Sport modes.

shane
05-07-2009, 04:19 PM
btw g84speed you notice a difference yet with the launch spark changed?

PerfectD3
05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I haven't pulled on logs on this one yet because I still need to finish the ecm tune. Once I get done moving I am going to get aggressive in finishing my tune. As far as timing being pulled change your decay rates, having timing pulled is ok in my opinion (it still has a job to do) but cut the decay rate down so that you are back in the action sooner.

PerfectD3
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Are you happy with the downshift/upshift points? Mine would irritate me when it wouldn't downshift to first from a roll. Had similar issues with other gears.

Looks like you found a happy mid-way between Normal and Sport modes.

Yeah I would say I am pretty happy with it. I don't want to be slamming gears because this is my DD. I also don't want to cut down on how fast she downshifts (or how low she goes) just yet because I need to get the ecm tuned still. After I am done with the ecm tune I will re-evaluate the tcm with the new found power.

shane
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
mine cuts out really quick and comes right back in..

ProStreet
05-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Wow just found this thread. My laptop is at my shop. I will bring it home tonight and upload my tune here!

ProStreet
05-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Here is my tune-Mods are Vararam CAI
This tune has timing changes-TQM off-PE AFR set to 12.8-trans changes-MAF increased 3% for Vararam.

PerfectD3
05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
How'd you come up with the 12.8 AFR? You are really close to what the paid tuners are tuning their AFR at...*cough*12.78*cough* With any luck I can get mine finished by the end of next week. I'm going to do the full SD/MAF tune.

johnh
05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
lol..mine is tuned to 12.8 afr as well.

parish8
05-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Here is a copy of my G8 HPT file. Would say it is anything special but the trans works great. Changed all the shift points and properties. Worked very well on a second G8 I loaded it on. If you drop the shift times to .15, it will rip into 3rd also. Wouldn't change any of the pressure as I haven't seen a need. You can change the shift speeds enough to make it violent.:beer3:

woohoo! thanks.

i have been messing with my tranny tune a little and wasn't geting the results i was looking for. i copied the tranny part of your tune and i like it a lot. the compare features are bad ass.

keep up the good work and if anyone knows how to soften up the part throttle shift while keeping the hard shift at wot post up.

on my car i got a wideband hooked up so i am ready to lean it out a little. also switched over to the 2bar os with real ve tables so i am ready for a little boost down the road. also put a 2.5bar map on the car.

i cant seem to get the ve histograms to work but am probably doing something wrong. probably missing a required pid of something like that.

johnh
05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
keep up the good work and if anyone knows how to soften up the part throttle shift while keeping the hard shift at wot post up.

Check my tune, keep the shift times reasonable and the Shift Torque Factor and Adder/modifier makes them harder at higher rpm/torque vales, and normal at well normal.

VE histograms won't work, as we don't have a VE table.

PerfectD3
05-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Johnh definitely showed me the light as far as having better shifts at part throttle and nastier shifts at WOT. Didn't think you could plug negative numbers in the adder's tables.

parish8
05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Check my tune, keep the shift times reasonable and the Shift Torque Factor and Adder/modifier makes them harder at higher rpm/torque vales, and normal at well normal.

i will study your tune and give that a try.

and i do have ve tables. i upgraded to the 2bar os which gets rid of all of those other tables and gives me a ve table. not only a ve table but one with higher resolution and the ability to scale the axis all the way up to 250kpa.

c5racr1
05-11-2009, 08:03 AM
can you guys post your latest tunes? I have a 09 GXP A6, and I am looking for a good starting point, or finishing point. If someone can explain to me how to do it , or host it I will send the stock GXP to the thread. BTW i posted it on the HPT site. thanks!

c5racr1
05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
i will try to upload a stock gxp tune

c5racr1
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM
tell me what you think, I was going to try to gopy a gt file but im not sure if it will be apples to apples, my brother has a gt and I tried to use his tune as a baseline and the gxp didnt like it, I think it may be due to the non DOD, 3.27 rear and the LS3 liking to shift at 6400. what do you think?

PerfectD3
05-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Do not, I repeat DO NOT, copy a different engine's tune onto your ECM. You are asking for alot of trouble doing that. Go to the HPT forums and read. The GXP is the LS3, GT is the L76, two different engines. 3.27 rear end has nothing to do with a tune *besides the speedo*. A HPT self tune is just that, a tune for your particuliar setup. You can't copy someone else's tune and hope for the same results, especially another engine's tune, that'll be the quickest way to kill your engine. Doing a self tune is not the easy way out, it is actually more of a PITA than anything, BUT it will give you the best tune possible for your setup. Read CPIG's tuning guide and GARY's tuning guide (google it), read the hell out of the HPT forums, pick up some books on tuning, and tinker with the software (but do not load your tinker tunes into the car). Tinkering with the software will get you familiar with it so that when you are ready to tune the car you won't make mistakes or get into a "what the heck do I do now... or where do I find that table".

G8-4-Speed
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
tell me what you think, I was going to try to gopy a gt file but im not sure if it will be apples to apples, my brother has a gt and I tried to use his tune as a baseline and the gxp didnt like it, I think it may be due to the non DOD, 3.27 rear and the LS3 liking to shift at 6400. what do you think?

Start with simple stuff. Adjust your PE table and timing tables.

shane
05-11-2009, 07:51 PM
hey g84speed how was your results with the launch spark?

i loaded it finally and copyed yours and tried it seemed to come outta the hole a little harder but had a few weird issues that went away on some downshifts..
did the launch spark plus .29 shift factor on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift

G8-4-Speed
05-12-2009, 03:35 PM
hey g84speed how was your results with the launch spark?

i loaded it finally and copyed yours and tried it seemed to come outta the hole a little harder but had a few weird issues that went away on some downshifts..
did the launch spark plus .29 shift factor on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift

I am still not seeing the advance on my scan like I would expect. Still have to experiment more. Was looking to bump the initial take off timing. May just have to find it in the main table. The only reason I started to try it was a car I was working on had a rich area for a couple hundred rpm just after the launch that didn't want to tune out easy so I was going to try a little timing to quicken up the 60ft.

What issues are you having with the shifting??

c5racr1
05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
yes I figured that. I have been tinkering with it and the beta is quite different from what I am used to, 04 cts v, and c5 vetts with the old dumb computer, but damn it was easy to tune. I am taking my time learning this, I used the compare file and checked out the engine tables and tranny tables, they are close but have big differences in the details, I see what ya meen.
Rome was not built in a day.... but they burned that btch down in a day!!

shane
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
it was just a weird downshift but after i did the same thing a few more times it went away...

i went back to my tune before and returned the launch spark back to stock and went to .33 on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.. havent driven it yet..

i was very happy with my latest tune and just figured go back to that and leave the launch spark alone..

G8-4-Speed
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM

If you upgrade to the 2 bar, this is what you get for VE tables...

PerfectD3
05-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Why is everyone switching to the 2bar OS? :huh:

camarochevy1970
05-13-2009, 05:52 AM

I think to attempt to do VE tuning without using EQ_VE

PerfectD3
05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Why not just wait for the update then? They are pushing a VVE update to HPT, they haven't said when yet tho.

G8-4-Speed
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Stock is not an issue, only when modified running a strong cam. I am looking at it, but haven't done anything yet. Don't know if I will ever use it stock. Just curious......

Mlozano
05-14-2009, 02:11 AM
don't forget to remove the TCM for the upshift learning option or the computer reconfigure the tune based on driving style.

johnh
05-14-2009, 04:38 AM
this is what you get for VE tables...

Much easier than tuning coeff. I don't have enough mods yet to justify it though.

TCM for the upshift learning option o

Are you talking about Adaptive Pressure Upshift Enable?

I tried a couple of things--PE MAP from 15kPA to 55 kPA didn't notice any difference. I did try bumping up the timing in the High Table where it was negative, but from the scans it really doesn't hit those cells anyway.

There was some discussion about PE values...keeping it leaner ~13.2 under 4K rpm and then richer at peak torque, then leaning slightly in the upper rpms. Anyone try anything different that stock? I presently have leaned it a bit over stock to keep it 12.7 or so at the richest. (Note: All those are commanded AFRs, not verified by a WB).

Mlozano
05-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Are you talking about Adaptive Pressure Upshift Enable?

Yes that's it, if you don't disable it your wasting your time, the tune will readjust.

G8-4-Speed
05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
There was some discussion about PE values...keeping it leaner ~13.2 under 4K rpm and then richer at peak torque, then leaning slightly in the upper rpms. Anyone try anything different that stock? I presently have leaned it a bit over stock to keep it 12.7 or so at the richest. (Note: All those are commanded AFRs, not verified by a WB).

My best mph 106.65 was with it a touch rich but my et slowed down. When I tried to lean out the bottom end to get my 330 et back up, it didn't fix it. What I need is a way to lean out 1st, 2nd normal, and richen up 3rd.......

I even tried a launch spark adder but haven't seen it show on the scan log. Basically need a time based enrichment that works at WOT off idle...

johnh
05-14-2009, 02:59 PM
the tune will readjust.

How so? Mine's been enabled, and it seems to shift pretty consistently and I can break the tires loose 1-2.

Mike P
05-14-2009, 03:02 PM
John:

Hey man, did you see the times that "Edmant" aka Roy posted with his drag radials!? Low 12's, I've gotta get some tires soon.... :)

shane
05-14-2009, 05:55 PM
How so? Mine's been enabled, and it seems to shift pretty consistently and I can break the tires loose 1-2.
same here...

parish8
05-14-2009, 07:10 PM

i am preparing for some boost. taking care of the little stuff first like wide band, 250kpa map, tuner.

TY2185
05-15-2009, 02:48 AM
i am preparing for some boost. taking care of the little stuff first like wide band, 250kpa map, tuner.
Are you documenting your G8 like you did with your truck.
BTW your truck was bad ass.

parish8
05-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Are you documenting your G8 like you did with your truck.
BTW your truck was bad ass.

thanks.

i will take pics and post up some vids i am sure. not much to share at this time. i need to finish my garage this summer. i hope to be working on the g8 by fall.

johnh
05-15-2009, 04:48 AM
Low 12's, I've gotta get some tires soon...

Yep..very close to 11s. Get some tires so you don't spin for 200'

shane
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
thanks.

i will take pics and post up some vids i am sure. not much to share at this time. i need to finish my garage this summer. i hope to be working on the g8 by fall.

oh shit this is parish ? whats up i was over on pt.net forever when i had my modded/lifted 04 sierra..

if you make if half as sweet as your truck it would still be badass lol

shane
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
has anyone yet removed TM from upshifts? i havent done it but some people over on hptuners have said to.

i would leave Tm on downshifts but just wondering if anyone has just disabled it on upshifts../

BobtheMonkee
05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
its not a matter of disabling/enabling TM, its a matter of raising the shift torques. I raised my shift torques pretty high for sport mode, then lowered the shift times...this makes for a stout and powerful shift!

shane
05-18-2009, 04:18 PM
aware of that.
and u mean lowering the shift torque factor..

stock is 1.0 the lower the number the lower the TM.

i have lowered the shift torque and shift times...

shane
05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
ok went to the track tonight and clicked a 13.1 @106.7 so im happy with full weight and 38psi in the tires..

now i did get one log (was my worst run of the night at 13.3 @105)
car was heat soaked this run didnt get to cool it off and they were rushing us. got some knock in the .84-.88 cyl/mass area think i should cut the timing some in that area?

the iat run is just a few days earlier on the street with no real issues

johnh
05-21-2009, 05:29 AM
You could probably back the timing off a couple of degrees..you still made pretty good power even with 21-23* timing. Although it looks like just a little knock that went away and didn't get worse. Were you running 93 octane?

Or try richening up the mixture at bit. What AF were you commanding? Or if you don't mind post your tune.

G8-4-Speed
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I would say back off the timing and try a little PE enrichment in your spark knock area.

Your spark knock in 3rd is common, this is why I added a launch spark but haven't had a chance to try it or see on a scan if the timing was being added. This way you could have the aggressive timing in first and second where you can use it without having to dump fuel in it to keep it out of spark knock.

shane
05-21-2009, 08:53 PM
here was the tune used from the track but the area where i got knock i moved it from 27 to 25 degrees in the .84-.88 cyl/mass area and between 4800-5600 rpms..

shane
05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
btw i did have 93 octane as usual.

shane
05-21-2009, 10:35 PM
hmm after looking i wonder if i should just leave the timing as before and just increase the PE multi VS RPM just a little from my 1.148 maybe to 1.150-1.155 area......

johnh
05-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Either one, the big question is what kind of timing gets the best power? You might not be getting any more power with 27 vs 25 timing....

I look at it this way, you had a good track run and trap speed with the lower timing (because of the KR), remove a touch of timing and you'll be running the same as you ran down the track.

I did try out the PE closer to what you had and leaned out the upper rpms (I was a bit richer on the top) and I think the car responded pretty well (at least according to the butt dyno). It seems 12.7-12.8 A/F is a sweet spot. I need to get some Wideband tests in, but that probably won't happen till next weekend.

shane
05-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Either one, the big question is what kind of timing gets the best power? You might not be getting any more power with 27 vs 25 timing....

I look at it this way, you had a good track run and trap speed with the lower timing (because of the KR), remove a touch of timing and you'll be running the same as you ran down the track.

I did try out the PE closer to what you had and leaned out the upper rpms (I was a bit richer on the top) and I think the car responded pretty well (at least according to the butt dyno). It seems 12.7-12.8 A/F is a sweet spot. I need to get some Wideband tests in, but that probably won't happen till next weekend.
well i guess ill just stick with the 25* in that range and leave the PE alone.

shane
05-22-2009, 07:49 PM
ok here is another log tonight... HUMID 79* night....

i backed the timing down from 27 to 25 in this tune and then went out and logged it ... getting some Knock, but its quick...

shane
05-23-2009, 10:23 AM
ok i backed the timing down just a tad from 25-24 in the problem area and gave it a little more fuel in the 4250-4750 range

was 1.163-1.163-1.146 now is 1.170 for all three which should take me fom 12.6-12.8 mid range down to 12.564 area for the mid range but still keeping my 5k and higher the same since there was no issues there which is the 12.8AFR

shane
05-23-2009, 05:43 PM
still some knock.

G8-4-Speed
05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
still some knock.

Stubburn isn't it........:nah:

You can richen it up more...Or pull timing......Or just leave it...........

Bad nuze, getting rid of the rest of the knock won't make it any faster.......

My knock went away when the o2 mV was between 890's and 900's. In the end my mph picked up but it slowed up to the 330 ft mark. If you can keep the timing up OR the fuel lean in first in second to keep it quick...YOU WIN!

When I figure it out I'll post it. I've been down for the last few weeks for a fuel tank leak and I need to take it in to get fixed. It is screwing up all my fuel trims since it is pulling raw fuel thru my vapor canister after any hard acceleration. Not to mention leaking all over everything...:bm:

shane
05-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Stubburn isn't it........:nah:

You can richen it up more...Or pull timing......Or just leave it...........

Bad nuze, getting rid of the rest of the knock won't make it any faster.......

My knock went away when the o2 mV was between 890's and 900's. In the end my mph picked up but it slowed up to the 330 ft mark. If you can keep the timing up OR the fuel lean in first in second to keep it quick...YOU WIN!

When I figure it out I'll post it. I've been down for the last few weeks for a fuel tank leak and I need to take it in to get fixed. It is screwing up all my fuel trims since it is pulling raw fuel thru my vapor canister after any hard acceleration. Not to mention leaking all over everything...:bm:
yea im kinda stuck on what to do really....

i mean knock isnt good... but it is Quick.. whats ur take?

mine will be going to the dealer very soon... oil leak...2,300 miles

johnh
05-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Still a fair amount of knock.

To me it looks a little leaner than 12.8, the O2 readings are in the 870-890 range, which looks lean. Really you need to get a Wideband reading as the stock O2 sensors aren't really reliable for WOT fueling, but they can sometimes be close. My O2 readings show considerably richer than that 900-920 range. I don't see any knock runnning 24-25* timing.

You could always test and see if bumping up the Fueling to say 12.0 A/F or EQ ~1.22 or so and see how it runs.

Has anyone found/figured what optimal timing is? Best would be on a dyno, we can also read the spark plugs....so far it seems to like 23-25* or so.

shane
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
in the 4250 -4750 range in my PE i have 1.170 which should be 12.564
and timing is is around 24..

i changed the tune a little, gave it a little more fuel and what not here it is

shane
05-26-2009, 03:23 PM
ok after looking some more at what PE i was running during the log and where the o2's were when i got 5* of knock in fourth gear at 4900 rpms maybe my changes(which i havent logged yet) might take care of it..
o2's were 872-885 and my PE at the time at 4750 was 1.148.. now 1.170 and at 5000 i was 1.148 now 1.150...

and was getting 2* of knock at 3300-3600 where i took a degree out and went from 1.163 to 1.166..

al

shane
05-30-2009, 07:13 PM
everyone fall off the face of the earth? LOl

i havent got to mess with mine its been at dealer and prob wont get it back till tues or weds im sure.

johnh
05-31-2009, 05:59 AM
I am hoping to Dyno today....

G8-4-Speed
05-31-2009, 07:00 AM
ok after looking some more at what PE i was running during the log and where the o2's were when i got 5* of knock in fourth gear at 4900 rpms maybe my changes(which i havent logged yet) might take care of it..
o2's were 872-885 and my PE at the time at 4750 was 1.148.. now 1.170 and at 5000 i was 1.148 now 1.150...

and was getting 2* of knock at 3300-3600 where i took a degree out and went from 1.163 to 1.166..

al

1.163 to 1.166 is a bit small...I would try 1.17 since it appears a bit lean. Or try 2 degrees out.. Have you ever thought of a cooler thermostat to see if that cures you spark knock? Just because your getting rid of spark knock doesn't mean it faster. It may be taking away power.

shane
05-31-2009, 07:42 AM
1.163 to 1.166 is a bit small...I would try 1.17 since it appears a bit lean. Or try 2 degrees out.. Have you ever thought of a cooler thermostat to see if that cures you spark knock? Just because your getting rid of spark knock doesn't mean it faster. It may be taking away power.
yea ive been wanting to do one, i had on my 04 gto and it ran great with amounts of timing and never got knock.

yea i realize about not faster but after looking at what timing its running after the knock havent gone lower than that so i dont think i should loose any time

shane
05-31-2009, 07:58 AM
and i still have the tune i used at the track so i can always go back to it...

i guess the first thing on my list when i get the car back is a 160* thermo, i wont be driving the car during the winter anyway

and i have some dyno time coming up soon

johnh
05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
No dyno, I was too late(we went to Livernois), did get to see plenty of cars, including a few G8s though...

shane
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
here is 2 logs from tonight...

johnh
06-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Looks a little better, on the second scan (f) it still looks a little lean where the KR is, although its hard to tell exactly without a Wideband. But at ~12.6 AF I'd expect to see O2 at little higher.

Did you tune your MAF? Did you add any air to the upper end?

First scan looked good, it might also be heat from the longer run coming into play. Maybe add a little fuel (or air to the MAF) and remove maybe 1* of spark--just to be conservative.

Side Note: How much TQM are you running? I noticed it doesn't pull ANY timing during the shifts..I run about 60-70% still pulls a good amount of timing.

shane
06-02-2009, 02:54 PM
none..been talking to be tranny guy over on hptuners and removed it but had to do a few things to help the tranny out...

yea the maf tables have been tweaked..mine are - compared to yours still though

johnh
06-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Hopefully this weekend I can get the WB going and verify it...

G8-4-Speed
06-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Hopefully this weekend I can get the WB going and verify it...

Last I saw on a WB, 900 anything was low 12's A/F. It may be that the fuel he is getting has 10% of some type of methanol. Mine ran best with the f scan he had for fuel. Timing is where I would mess with it. Throwing any more fuel at it will slow it down more than pulling timing.

Just got mine back from the dealership today, will have to download the new flash tune they put in it. It has a better factory shift than it did when I bought it. We'll see what it looks like....

shane
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Last I saw on a WB, 900 anything was low 12's A/F. It may be that the fuel he is getting has 10% of some type of methanol. Mine ran best with the f scan he had for fuel. Timing is where I would mess with it. Throwing any more fuel at it will slow it down more than pulling timing.

Just got mine back from the dealership today, will have to download the new flash tune they put in it. It has a better factory shift than it did when I bought it. We'll see what it looks like....

you mean where you wouldnt mess with it?
tommorow ill have the 160* thermo in it hoping to cure some of this, we will see.
i am using 93 octane but almost everthing around here has 10% corn shit

johnh
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
I think he meant mess with the timing not the fuel.

I think I have the latest GM flash, it'd be interesting if your new one has anything different.

G8-4-Speed
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I think he meant mess with the timing not the fuel.

I think I have the latest GM flash, it'd be interesting if your new one has anything different.

I'll upload my new stock update when I get a chance. The trans feels better than the old stock update I had. the TM isn't as noticeable and the shifts are different. Haven't made a full WOT pull on it to see how those shifts are.

Right, mess with timing on the f-tune. If you always are using the 10% stuff then you may need some track time to see if it likes it a bit rich since there isn't anything to adjust for it like flex-fuel.

shane
06-05-2009, 04:24 PM
well it the thermo seemed to help

G8-4-Speed
06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
well it the thermo seemed to help

The thermostat did help. Good stuff.....

G8-4-Speed
06-05-2009, 08:10 PM

No change in the new flash that I can see with the HPT.....
The trans must feel different just from having more miles on it and using the firmer shifts for most of the miles...

shane
06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
The thermostat did help. Good stuff.....

here is a run from tonight.....was like 63* outside
debting now on take the area i lowered to 24 back to 25...

shane
06-07-2009, 07:48 PM
seems be working GREAT!

here is a dig race with a s2000

bumped the 24 back to 25 then at 5600 i went from 25 to 26
and 6000 bumped from 27 to 28

shane
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
btw anyone been tweaking the DOD?
so far ive just up'ed tps max and tps max hyst

been thinking of bring down the enable vac a little

G8-4-Speed
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
so far ive just up'ed tps max and tps max hyst

been thinking of bring down the enable vac a little

The TPS is the only thing I have messed with without having issues. I have tried both vac and tps adjustments togther but had transition issue where it would hesitate at heavier loads. It would show huge timing dumps when it was trying to decide what to do. Way too irritating.

With stock vacuum settings, I run 25% tps with 3.5% hyst. Seems to work well. With mixed driving, I got 20.8 average mpg on a tank. It would be interesting to see how well it would do with a gear change to keep DOD on longer since load at lower rpm seem too much for 4 cylinders and DOD wont run in manual mode.

shane
06-09-2009, 06:18 PM
cool thanks!

yea after getting the knock taken care of im moving my efforts towards other parts of the tune

johnh
06-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Yep, spent a fair amount of time on it, making sure it doesn't lug or cycle transitions. I am not sure its worth a whole lot, but the big thing is that I can cruise with AFM at 75 mph on the highway and average 25-26 mpg. I can get closer to 30 if I stay 65 or so.

shane
06-10-2009, 04:53 PM
ok here is my post from hptuners..
ok i have noticed a lag when punching it from a roll and i noticed the timing drop..
now besides that my tune feels and works great
here is a punch from 54 or so

i have TM disabled for upshift and power downshift i guess one of the other tm tables in the tranny side is doing this...

any advice is welcome

shane
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
ok here is a question right now im running the yella terra tube with stock air box with K&N filter and modded snorkle and lower panel mod...
just ordered a roto fab... the yella worked good but just wanna try something else..

right now my maf tables have been increased a little i know from wot from a dig u are only gonna hit the 5-10k in the hz...
how should i go about tweaking the maf when i get it on?
what a good start point like 2-3%?

and should i just tweak the lowe HZ tables according to the fuel trims?

johnh
06-16-2009, 03:45 PM
and should i just tweak the lowe HZ tables according to the fuel trims?

This. You can use a Histogram in HPT (LTFT vs. MAF Hz) to do it.
And then scale it accordingly. So if you end up adding say 2.5% at 8000-9000 carry that up through the whole curve. I realize you might start losing flow at higher hz but it will mean if its not right it will be too rich not too lean.

shane
06-16-2009, 03:57 PM
This. You can use a Histogram in HPT (LTFT vs. MAF Hz) to do it.
And then scale it accordingly. So if you end up adding say 2.5% at 8000-9000 carry that up through the whole curve. I realize you might start losing flow at higher hz but it will mean if its not right it will be too rich not too lean.

here let me post my current maf settings vs stock..

and yea i have a histogram with ltft vs maf..

shane
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
here is mine from 0-1100
0.0000 0.0112 0.0224 0.0336 0.0448 0.0562 0.0687 0.0844 0.1109 0.1411 0.1778 0.2153 0.2636 0.3167 0.3825 0.4586 0.5458 0.6546 0.7595 0.8950 1.0129 1.1751 1.3712 1.5180 1.6727 1.8752 2.0707 2.3930 2.7029 3.0275 3.4321 3.8090 4.1723 4.5928 5.0151 5.3469 5.8531 6.3602 6.9111 7.4637 8.0973 8.7339 9.3687 10.0686 10.7661 11.5172 12.2625 13.0791 13.9724 14.9259 15.9133 16.9518 18.0649 19.1805 20.4363 21.6887 23.0593 24.4319 25.9486 27.5669 29.1869 30.7390 32.3267 33.9798 35.7075 37.7558 39.8070 41.6299 43.5818 45.2520 46.9257 49.0120 51.2279 53.4833 55.8396

stock the same range
0.0000 0.0111 0.0222 0.0333 0.0444 0.0556 0.0667 0.0820 0.1066 0.1343 0.1667 0.2050 0.2506 0.3046 0.3678 0.4410 0.5249 0.6202 0.7274 0.8461 0.9750 1.1147 1.2655 1.4260 1.5987 1.7922 2.0086 2.2502 2.5180 2.8105 3.1286 3.4718 3.8372 4.2226 4.6269 5.0528 5.5030 5.9805 6.4848 7.0180 7.5726 8.1648 8.7844 9.4328 10.1111 10.8396 11.6027 12.4013 13.2362 14.1323 15.0669 16.0400 17.0517 18.1219 19.2270 20.3703 21.5554 22.8048 24.1025 25.4540 26.8650 28.3492 29.8830 31.4668 33.1004 34.7899 36.5304 38.3245 40.1749 42.1205 44.1386 46.2341 48.4122 50.7322 53.1603

difference
0.0000 0.0001 0.0002 0.0003 0.0004 0.0006 0.0020 0.0024 0.0043 0.0068 0.0111 0.0103 0.0130 0.0122 0.0147 0.0176 0.0209 0.0344 0.0321 0.0488 0.0379 0.0605 0.1056 0.0920 0.0740 0.0830 0.0621 0.1428 0.1849 0.2169 0.3035 0.3372 0.3351 0.3702 0.3881 0.2942 0.3501 0.3796 0.4263 0.4457 0.5247 0.5691 0.5843 0.6358 0.6549 0.6776 0.6598 0.6778 0.7362 0.7935 0.8463 0.9118 1.0131 1.0586 1.2094 1.3184 1.5039 1.6271 1.8462 2.1130 2.3219 2.3899 2.4436 2.5131 2.6071 2.9659 3.2766 3.3054 3.4069 3.1315 2.7871 2.7779 2.8157 2.7512 2.6793

shane
06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
ok yea so i need to look at if its + or - on the ltft's in that area and adjust maf hz correctly if its positive i need to increase the HZ's slighty.

and under wot range i guess ill keep it where im at right now and adjust the maf tables slightly up(since it will be leaner) until i see something close in the o2 MV's correct?
then adjust the PE as needed?

yea i really rather do it this way than some people who just kill the PE and use that to get it where they want..
rather get it pretty close with the MAF and then fine tune it just a little with the PE...

WARLOCK
06-17-2009, 12:25 AM
GOD, man you guys make me feel stupid. I have owned my HPTUNERS for about 2 and a half years and I have no idea what the hell any of you are talking about. :wacko: I know how to remove the speed limiter and I can change the fan settings! thatssss about it..

shane
06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
anyone care to post their latest tunes?
here is mine
and a recent log from last night

G8-4-Speed
06-20-2009, 08:58 PM
anyone care to post their latest tunes?
here is mine
and a recent log from last night

Looks like that air was pretty bad. You are over a sec off your last time to the track. :nud:
Looks like your MAF is pretty close to mine. I was suprised to have to add 6% to get the trims in line.....

Still working on it....

G8-4-Speed
06-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I just did back to back test on mine. I added timing and it slowed down .1-.2 . I am about 3-4+ degree of timing down from you.

Do a test. Check your time on the scan from just were it turns 1 mph and run until 6000(pick a rpm in 3rd gear), subtract your start and stop time to get your "E.T.". Do a couple of wot passes with a little easy cruise break between pulls. Then change your timing to something around 21-23 wot and make another pass. Use the same test parameters and see if it slows down or picks up.

I went from 13.03 sec to 13.20 adding timing. Here is my current tune with the timing back to were it was. May even take more out.....

shane
06-21-2009, 07:52 AM
yea the air is pretty bad right now..
humidity in the 80's and temps in the high 80's at night.

shane
06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
ok here is one with less timing ill try and out my tune from the track..
the mildtune is the track one
which i was getting some knock ill post the log again this was the 13.3 at 105 run..

so this might be closer

G8-4-Speed
06-21-2009, 12:27 PM
ok here is one with less timing ill try and out my tune from the track..
the mildtune is the track one
which i was getting some knock ill post the log again this was the 13.3 at 105 run..

so this might be closer

Save a new WOT scan of your current tune, then upload your mild timing tune and save another WOT scan to compare against.

The last scan you uplaoded was 1.25 sec slower from 1 mph to 6074 rpm in third. Track air was 29.53inHg, last scan was 28.94inHg. Your IAT was higher at the track. Humidity was less at the track....

shane
06-21-2009, 01:25 PM
here is a a tune where i messed with some small things and lowered the timing...

and the tune

i pretty much made it a little richer down low and less timing mid to high... kinda copied ur timing tables but i still have a little more

shane
06-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Save a new WOT scan of your current tune, then upload your mild timing tune and save another WOT scan to compare against.

The last scan you uplaoded was 1.25 sec slower from 1 mph to 6074 rpm in third. Track air was 29.53inHg, last scan was 28.94inHg. Your IAT was higher at the track. Humidity was less at the track....

sorry didnt think to upload the track tune, next time out i will

shane
06-22-2009, 07:37 PM
ok did the roto fab today and some small tune changes..

and lots of logs lol..

shane
06-27-2009, 11:52 AM
ok seems to making improvement here

using the time and factoring 0u-60 and 0-6000rpms in 3rd..

from my 13.3 track run to my log from yesterday, which is pretty bad weather..

my 0-6k in 3rd at track was 12.298
and yesterday was 12.091..

0-60 yesterday was 4.851
track was 4.917

and the tune im using now

G8-4-Speed
06-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Your MAF tables are real close to mine. I need to get some more 0-5500 in 4th pulls to see where mine is at. The weather has been too hot to do much other than tune my shifts for the new gears and retune the MAF.

What did the GXP tune look like. I have a stock one...

shane
06-28-2009, 08:05 AM
damn our maf tables are close lol...
what CAI are you using?

btw this was the best LOG i was able to ever get outta the car and didnt realize it till yesterday..

was about 15*+ cooler and alot less humid but i was rolling with a passanger.

this was me racing a 12.4@111 STI from a dig, i ended up 2 cars behind..

my 0-60 was 4.742
0-6k in 3rd was 11.617
i found tune i was using....
im sure alot of it was weather..

G8-4-Speed
06-28-2009, 06:43 PM
damn our maf tables are close lol...
what CAI are you using?

btw this was the best LOG i was able to ever get outta the car and didnt realize it till yesterday..

was about 15*+ cooler and alot less humid but i was rolling with a passanger.

this was me racing a 12.4@111 STI from a dig, i ended up 2 cars behind..

my 0-60 was 4.742
0-6k in 3rd was 11.617
i found tune i was using....
im sure alot of it was weather..

Looks like it was flying with that tune and the timing. Rpm even dropped when it knocked and pulled timing. Temps look like they were probably in the high 50's. mV looked good....

Here is a tune showing some mV vs o2 on a G8...

shane
06-28-2009, 09:20 PM
ok tonight was a long night..

got to borrow my buddys wideband..
with not alot of tweaking above 7k HZ i went and did a wot pass..
11:5 across the board lol...
man this roto fab really threw the maf table off..
did alot of tweaking to the maf

here is the tune and the log from a dig ...

A/f was 12.8-12.3 all in that area.... temps were 68*

0-60 4.680
0-6k in 3rd 11.856

ill prob do some more little tweaking ill keep you all updated..

G8-4-Speed
06-29-2009, 08:41 AM
ok tonight was a long night..

got to borrow my buddys wideband..
with not alot of tweaking above 7k HZ i went and did a wot pass..
11:5 across the board lol...
man this roto fab really threw the maf table off..
did alot of tweaking to the maf

here is the tune and the log from a dig ...

A/f was 12.8-12.3 all in that area.... temps were 68*

0-60 4.680
0-6k in 3rd 11.856

ill prob do some more little tweaking ill keep you all updated..

You did do a lot of MAF tuning.....
Fuel looks good WOT. You do have a little more pressure drop at WOT with the Roto Fab. You dipped into the 95's with better air. Almost looks like it doesn't flow as good...:hang:

shane
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
You did do a lot of MAF tuning.....
Fuel looks good WOT. You do have a little more pressure drop at WOT with the Roto Fab. You dipped into the 95's with better air. Almost looks like it doesn't flow as good...:hang:

yep i dont know what to think here...
just learn to deal with it...

but its looking pretty good now isnt it?

im gonna go out tonight and have the g/f drive for i can tweak the PE.. i think the maf should be good

shane
06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
well after looking at some numbers i decreased the MAF mostly around 7% and pe just under 1% at .7 of a %

shane
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
ok i change my PE to 1.165 across the board 12.6

im gonna go out tonight and try and dial in the maf VERY close and then use PE to give me my different AFR for across the power bands..

shane
06-29-2009, 06:08 PM
ok i decreased the maf table 9750HZ on up by one more percent..

then started tweaking the PE and looks like im good where im at right now

i had the g/f driving and was doing some 3rd gear pulls from 60- 6k in 3rd(holding the gear in TUTD) A/f would go from 12.4-12.5 to 12.7 12.8 on the wideband
Right where i want it!

Also ive noticed after tweaking the maf my VE airflow LB/HR MAF LB/HR and dynamic air flow LB/HR are all VERY close which is also good...

shane
06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
ok this doesnt make a whole lotta sense, well kinda..

ok ill post the new tune and a new log from tonight...
0-60 4.898
0-6k in 3rd 12.433

WB was around 12.4-12.6 low to mid to 12.8 on big end..

this log was a little slower than the log i posted in 179#

now i did spin a little more and the car feels good but seems to be losing it on the big end...
maybe richen it back up on the PE side? i dont think that 1% i decreased the maf was a huge deal..( 9750HZ on up)

shane
06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Whoops just realized i posted the wrong log in post 179... correct one is there

boomer
06-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Do you have HPT pro interface to log the wide band?

G8-4-Speed
06-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Ok, my turn to post a log. My shift points are a little high, just adjusted them from being a little low. So far I have added 6-8% to my MAF.

shane
06-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Do you have HPT pro interface to log the wide band?

i do but im borrowing a buddys so im going off the seprate controller...

shane
06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Ok, my turn to post a log. My shift points are a little high, just adjusted them from being a little low. So far I have added 6-8% to my MAF.

put these these on ur table display

Also ive noticed after tweaking the maf my VE airflow LB/HR MAF LB/HR and dynamic air flow LB/HR are all VERY close which is also good...

i heard from some guys on there this is a good way to tell if the maf is dailed in

shane
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
ok i think i got it done tonight LOL...

did some tweaking to the tune posted in #185

seems to be where i want it..
WB is 12.4-12.6 across the board!

sucks i was doing this and missed a great night for the track.. gonna be in the 70's which is GREAT for this time of the year..

always next time.

but the tune is pretty much the same just a WEEeee little richer on the PE

G8-4-Speed
07-01-2009, 03:44 AM
In the WOT area our MAF charts are really close. Looks like leaning it out got you a little knock. But now that you have your A/F dialed in, you can adjust your timing to what nets you the quickest time.

My lastest run log netted a 4.576sec 0-60 and looks close to where it needs to be on the fuel. Now if I will just stop being lazy and hook my WB o2 to see where my A/F is at. Then the plan is to screw it all up and build a 2.5"-4"-2.5" exhaust with a new high-flow cat and put in a small cam.

shane
07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
In the WOT area our MAF charts are really close. Looks like leaning it out got you a little knock. But now that you have your A/F dialed in, you can adjust your timing to what nets you the quickest time.

My lastest run log netted a 4.576sec 0-60 and looks close to where it needs to be on the fuel. Now if I will just stop being lazy and hook my WB o2 to see where my A/F is at. Then the plan is to screw it all up and build a 2.5"-4"-2.5" exhaust with a new high-flow cat and put in a small cam.

yep i noticed the knock, i havent got knock in a log time since the thermostat.. guess since ive leaned it out a little

yea i want to get the WB done that way i can see on timing and PE what does the best,

shane
07-01-2009, 06:49 PM
k so far so good, went out tonight and tried to get 3 WOT passes until 4th...

was able to get 2 clean ones..
SPUN BAD like all through 1st a few times but here is 3 clean ones..

one i only got till 80 the rest are full passes..
0-60 4.727
0-6k in 3rd 12.106

0-60 4.774

0-60 4.774
0-6k in 3rd 11.95

pha|anx
07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I haven't had the time to read the entire thread, but I've been subscribed for awhile reading it as the stuff comes up... are you guys using HP Tuners (I have it, tuned my Grand Prix with it) together with a wideband for tuning your G8's?

I'm wondering if I should even bother messing with mine without a wideband. I've been anxious as all hell to tear into it for months now, just haven't had time... the next month though is a different story, lots of time on my hands

:confused:

shane
07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I haven't had the time to read the entire thread, but I've been subscribed for awhile reading it as the stuff comes up... are you guys using HP Tuners (I have it, tuned my Grand Prix with it) together with a wideband for tuning your G8's?

I'm wondering if I should even bother messing with mine without a wideband. I've been anxious as all hell to tear into it for months now, just haven't had time... the next month though is a different story, lots of time on my hands

:confused:

i used hptuners and a LM1 to wideband my car.. best to WB for u know u are going in the right direction

johnh
07-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm wondering if I should even bother messing with mine without a wideband.

Yes. I haven't used the wideband yet--difference in stock to my tune..night and day. 13.3 only mod was axle-backs (and the tune).

G8-4-Speed
07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Finally broke into the 12's at the track tonight w/100% stock exhaust. Decent evening weather in the 70's. Went a 12.97 @107.9 and a 12.96 @ 107.4. Neither run was perfect but close enough. 1/8 mile times were 8.39 @85.5 and 8.36 @ 85.4. Both runs were in Drive but the first run I left the traction control on so I got a little nose dive on the first shift, second run was a "Hot-Lap". Unfortunately no Scan since the Mrs. has my old laptop out of town and the new one hasn't shown up yet.:nud:
The weekend before I went to the track but only went 13.11 @ 106.9. Weather "air" was pretty bad....

Total timing use was 23-25, 6100 rpm shifts.

shane
07-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Finally broke into the 12's at the track tonight w/100% stock exhaust. Decent evening weather in the 70's. Went a 12.97 @107.9 and a 12.96 @ 107.4. Neither run was perfect but close enough. 1/8 mile times were 8.39 @85.5 and 8.36 @ 85.4. Both runs were in Drive but the first run I left the traction control on so I got a little nose dive on the first shift, second run was a "Hot-Lap". Unfortunately no Scan since the Mrs. has my old laptop out of town and the new one hasn't shown up yet.:nud:
The weekend before I went to the track but only went 13.11 @ 106.9. Weather "air" was pretty bad....

Total timing use was 23-25, 6100 rpm shifts.

HELL ya man congrats i need to get mine to the track on a night like tonight the car Was FLYING ill make another post

damn i wish u got some logs

shane
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
did a quick run tonight...
0-60 4.634
0-6k in 3rd 11.669

there was more spinning than usual also...

G8-4-Speed
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Now if I will just stop being lazy and hook my WB o2 to see where my A/F is at. Then the plan is to screw it all up and build a 2.5"-4"-2.5" exhaust with a new high-flow cat and put in a small cam.

The exhaust is done and WB is on. WORKs GREAT! The WB is the ticket. MAF was so far off, I went back to stock and added 3% from 8550-11900Hz. Ended up taking 3-5% off the MAF in the WOT area. Sitting at 12.5-12.6 A/F. EXHAUST from the manifold back made a BIG difference. :bpress:Plus it allowed me to bump my shift points up another 100 without it laying over. So I shift about 6300 +/- a little. Still need to scan it to see what it looks like but laptop still isn't here yet......:charlie2: so I had to drag the house computer in the garage to do the tune.

***TIP OF THE DAY.............Get some HOT LAP from Pro Blend to spary on your radials and soakem' down a couple of days before going to the track. Bring the spray bottle to spray them between rounds. It softens the tire compound to get a better 60ft with crappy street tires. Seems to be worth at least a .1-.2 off the 60ft at my local track.

shane
07-21-2009, 02:54 PM
good to hear man i was hoping to get mine to the track but weather didnt agree

shane
07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
ok best last night was a 13.08 but logged it but RIGHT when i was getting ready to save the computer battary died and i lost it..

but here is the 13.1 run...

shane
07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Also was borrowing a CAble since my buddy has mine ..

so all i did is log.... no tuning..

G8-4-Speed
07-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Almost there.......13.08.....so close....

I just got back from the track and got rob of my last time slip since they started cloing up early and the guy left the time shack so there was no one to get my slip from. The run before it ran a 12.92 @107 but it was shifting late. My first pass was a 13.13 shifting at 6400 and hitting the limiter. So since it was being difficult I took it for a quick drive out the gate to see if it would learn it's way out of shifting late. It always does fine driving but when I drive up to the lane off a start and tune, it shifts late. Driving up to the light straight off a drive got me a 12.69 @ 109.3! ! !:woohoo:NO LATE SHIFTS ! ! ! Just means I have to go to Rockingham tomorrow to get the time slip which a bit more of a drive......but they are open until 2 am so maybe I will find some better air. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and the exhaust shows to be worth it.....
If not, awe well, the exhaust ROCKS! I highly recommended building one like it.

Wideband showed 12.4-12.6 A/F for the last 2 passes

shane
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
VERY NICE!

what was the weather like? IAT is good and engine is cold still stock thermo?

shane
07-24-2009, 09:31 PM
looks like some knock at 5400rpm's in fourth but goes away quick
o2 values look close to minemine seem to dip a little lower on the big i see u got a little less timing

btw what were the 60ft's?

shane
07-24-2009, 09:33 PM
read post 10#
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=8852

G8-4-Speed
07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
looks like some knock at 5400rpm's in fourth but goes away quick
o2 values look close to minemine seem to dip a little lower on the big i see u got a little less timing

btw what were the 60ft's?

60ft have been 1.99-1.97 if I use the Pro Blend on the tires. Track sucks and it is 2.06ish without it.

Yeah, I got a little knock but it is going to stay there if it runs good. I may take a little timing out. If I pull a degree of timing then I'll pull a touch of fuel out too since it is slightly rich. I would like to try more timing off the line to see if it will pick it up any. First gear accelerates quick so it should like it.

My fuel curve used to have a big swing but it is better now. It may be some of the 09 GXP tables I am using.

johnh
07-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Nice times. I bet those gears really help and really help when going from a roll....it seems everyone wants to go from a 35-45 roll on the street--the absolute worst spot for a mostly stock G8 GT...since you end up on the low end of 2nd gear with little power

99-LS1-SS
07-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm supposed to get my tuning stuff this coming Monday. I'm sure I'll have about 14 million questions for you guys.

shane
07-25-2009, 07:55 AM
60ft have been 1.99-1.97 if I use the Pro Blend on the tires. Track sucks and it is 2.06ish without it.

Yeah, I got a little knock but it is going to stay there if it runs good. I may take a little timing out. If I pull a degree of timing then I'll pull a touch of fuel out too since it is slightly rich. I would like to try more timing off the line to see if it will pick it up any. First gear accelerates quick so it should like it.

My fuel curve used to have a big swing but it is better now. It may be some of the 09 GXP tables I am using.try making it richer down low..my car seems to like it try 0-2500rpm in the PE 1.160 and give it a try...
and bring the PE delay down to like 400 or something also.
also try and bring the shift times to something ALL the same.. seems to be less confusing for the TCM
max adapt volume 2-3 make that 200 to match the others.

how u like the changes TCC settings? mine are still stocking settings

Nice times. I bet those gears really help and really help when going from a roll....it seems everyone wants to go from a 35-45 roll on the street--the absolute worst spot for a mostly stock G8 GT...since you end up on the low end of 2nd gear with little powergod i hate that... all wanted 40 punches i like DIG or slow roll like 20

I'm supposed to get my tuning stuff this coming Monday. I'm sure I'll have about 14 million questions for you guys.
we will be here

G8-4-Speed
07-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Nice times. I bet those gears really help and really help when going from a roll....it seems everyone wants to go from a 35-45 roll on the street--the absolute worst spot for a mostly stock G8 GT...since you end up on the low end of 2nd gear with little power

Yes, 35-40 mph roll is great.

Back to the track, air wasn't great but have a log and slip for a 12.87 @107.7. 1.97 60ft, 8.34 1/8 mile.

One thing I noticed was the mV was high but the Wideband said it was 12.5-12.6. Maybe it had something to do with the DA. My best pass was a "Hot-Lap" and second best pass was the "Hot-Lap" following the Hot-Lap.

G8-4-Speed
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
VERY NICE!

what was the weather like? IAT is good and engine is cold still stock thermo?

Weather was 70's and muggy. Air pressure was 29.5. Thermostat is a sore subject. My "parts" guy that works at the shop couldn't get a SLP(on backorder) so he got a few cheeper ones that either didn't fit or were too cold. THe one barely hit 150, then it set a temp code which in turn disables A/C and puts the fans on high all the time. For now I have a modified stock one (bent the supports on both sides) which dropped it to 181-185 degrees which has seem to help keep me out of knock.

I tried modifying the PE table and set PE to 400 rpm but I didn't scale the table low enough and so when it went into open loop/PE the fuel trim was +3% so instead of messing with it at the track, went back to the last setup to get the trim down to keep it from adding fuel. I'll work on it on the street so I have more time to dial it in.

It still is irritating the trans hangs up on shift just after a tune. On the hot-laps, the shifts were fine.

shane
07-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Weather was 70's and muggy. Air pressure was 29.5. Thermostat is a sore subject. My "parts" guy that works at the shop couldn't get a SLP(on backorder) so he got a few cheeper ones that either didn't fit or were too cold. THe one barely hit 150, then it set a temp code which in turn disables A/C and puts the fans on high all the time. For now I have a modified stock one (bent the supports on both sides) which dropped it to 181-185 degrees which has seem to help keep me out of knock.

I tried modifying the PE table and set PE to 400 rpm but I didn't scale the table low enough and so when it went into open loop/PE the fuel trim was +3% so instead of messing with it at the track, went back to the last setup to get the trim down to keep it from adding fuel. I'll work on it on the street so I have more time to dial it in.

It still is irritating the trans hangs up on shift just after a tune. On the hot-laps, the shifts were fine.
mine does the same thing once in awhile after a flash...

yea mine the po128 but i dont think i did any of that, but as soon as i threw it i told the car to ignore and reflashed it..

G8-4-Speed
07-26-2009, 07:33 PM

I was just looking at the driving exhaust video I did and just before the end I did a kick from 41 mph. Check it out to see how it does from 40 with 3.45 gears.

shane
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
well i tried something new tonight..i added some TM back in....
doesnt feel alot different but i am getting a small timing pull on shifts...barked 3rd a few times in sport mode which it only used to do before in TUTD ONLY!

sneaky u add TM back in???

according to the log with me adding a tiny little fuel back in and doing this the car has gone its fastest ever in a log...

here is the log i did also has a few WOT passes in it..

check it out
0-60 4.602
0-6k in 3rd 11.513

G8-4-Speed
07-30-2009, 04:38 AM
well i tried something new tonight..i added some TM back in....
doesnt feel alot different but i am getting a small timing pull on shifts...barked 3rd a few times in sport mode which it only used to do before in TUTD ONLY!

sneaky u add TM back in???

according to the log with me adding a tiny little fuel back in and doing this the car has gone its fastest ever in a log...

here is the log i did also has a few WOT passes in it..

check it out
0-60 4.602
0-6k in 3rd 11.513

Wow, its cruisin'! The nice thing is you know where your tuning from with a wideband instead of interpreting mV. Looks like it keeps gettng faster. Now you just need that run on the track. Save the tune with the time in your notes.

I have seen your trans settings and I would think third barked all the time since your time is quicker than mine. Mine barks third WOT and second will do it on demand. Does it in Drive, Sport, and TUTD. In theroy, you want the fastest shift with breaking the tires loose so a little TM is good. But, there's nothing better than tire ripping shifts so who's to argue....

In the 1/4 mile section there is a DA calculator, use it if you can. It will keep you from trying to tune on a bad air day when the car acts slow. Stock N/A cars are the most sensitive to air condition. Most of my times since my Feb 7th pass have been with the DA +2000 of where my best times were at. So technically, if I had the same air I should be able to run 12.60's as I did when I ran 13.0's before gears and exhaust. The DA calculator even lets you go back to previous dates to see what the air was. Then you can calculate off your best track time to see if your getting faster or not regardless of what your new time slip says.

QUESTION: What is the best way to adjust cruise A/F without doing a complete write?
Can it be done by adjusting the IAT filtering? Anything I seem to adjust just gets fuel trimmed back where it wants it or has no effect. The stock setting are a little rich at a cruise DOD on and off.

Shane, whats the next mod??? The nitrous on yet? Buy any of that Pro Blend?

johnh
07-30-2009, 06:16 AM
cruise A/F

You mean your LTFT? I usually adjust just the MAF

i added some TM back in..

I've thought about that since my no TM experiment. I think the trans likes a little pulled torque and allows it to shift quicker as there isn't as much force being applied at the gear change--obviously there's still enough to bark them, but not too much where you're getting mech/frictional resistance. I bet in high HP this would be even better.
Just a theory though.

Tjay74
07-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Whats up shane, i forgot all about the grrrr8 forum....lol

the cruise or ve (volumetric efficiency tables) are a virtual table from what i understand on the newer gm cars now. While they can be tweaked they use the info from the maf and o2's in order to maintain the stoic 14.1:1 ratio.

johnh
07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
14.1:1 ratio.
14.68:1 :)

There's a tool on HPT site called virutal VE or something that will give you a VE table that you can generate the coefficients from, although I haven't played with it.

G8-4-Speed
07-30-2009, 08:09 AM
14.68:1 :)

There's a tool on HPT site called virutal VE or something that will give you a VE table that you can generate the coefficients from, although I haven't played with it.

Yeah...I'll look at it again. My LTFT keeps it 14.3 -14.6 whether I add or take away from MAF, IAT, or 02 switching voltage.:notworking: Would like to see it a touch leaner but without changing the target, it will just adjust the trim to put it where it wants the A/F at.

Tjay74
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Ops, i meant 14.68:1...bad day at work today...

shane
07-30-2009, 02:17 PM
yea my cruise AF always is 14.6-14.7 on the wideband once in awhile (rare) ill get 14.5 i just tuned it with the MAf and keeping my LTFT's 0 to -3..

next mod i dont know i putting in my hids right now L..OL..

i kinda want a 75 dry

shane
07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
ok i went and did some tweaking after looking after looking at a STOCK GXP and STOCK 08 Vette.ty
pretty much same tune just with some pressure changes..

take a look also including the stock gxp and vette... so suprised on how much different they all are...

im sure u all have ur stock g8 tunes to compare..

dont use my tune car did not like it deletiing it

shane
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
ok guys when u do new flashes make sure and go into the scanner and reset the trans adapt makes things a little easier when flashing a new tune into the car

G8-4-Speed
08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
ok guys when u do new flashes make sure and go into the scanner and reset the trans adapt makes things a little easier when flashing a new tune into the car

What difference did it make?

johnh
08-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Well my 1-2 has always shifted too late...mph met, 6175 rpm, but yet it would shift anywhere from 6100-6500, it was never consistent (sometimes bumping the rev limiter)

I reset it, and bam it completes the 1-2 shift ~6250-6300 consistently now...that was the big difference for me.

wreckwriter
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM

More details on how to do this please!

shane
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
open scanner
u know the tab u open that lets u turn on the fans and stuff??the on off one..

go to trans
trans adapt reset..

i always reset my FT's when i flash the car will start doing this too...

seems imporrtant

shane
Well my 1-2 has always shifted too late...mph met, 6175 rpm, but yet it would shift anywhere from 6100-6500, it was never consistent (sometimes bumping the rev limiter)

I reset it, and bam it completes the 1-2 shift ~6250-6300 consistently now...that was the big difference for me.

great to hear i sent sneaky a message about it and it fixed his flare he was getting

johnh
Open the VCM Scanner.

Connect to the interface (I don't believe you have to start scanning, but I usually do).

Open the VCM Controls (green on/red off/green 100% icon), go to the trans tab, hit trans adapt reset button and trans fast adapt reset button.

shane
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Open the VCM Scanner.

Connect to the interface (I don't believe you have to start scanning, but I usually do).

Open the VCM Controls (green on/red off/green 100% icon), go to the trans tab, hit trans adapt reset button and trans fast adapt reset button.

beat ya lol..

i didnt do the fast learn since i figure if u reset it, its not needed.

wreckwriter
08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys! I'll be trying this.

wreckwriter
08-07-2009, 08:21 AM
So, just to be clear, you guys are finding that doing this actually makes it shift at the requested MPH/RPM? Assuming so I'm going to set up a tune based on my scans done during my best runs and give it a shot.

johnh
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Yes, my 1-2 always seemed to shift late by a couple of hundred rpm eg. completed shift 6350-6500 with Shift rpm at 6175, after doing the reset, it shifts 6200-6300.

wreckwriter
08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks John. I'll be trying it.

I'm assuming these 2 things:
1- this is a quick process?
2- this should be done after flashing tune?

Right?

johnh
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
1. Yes very quick, hit the button (nothing much really happens...that you can see)

2. I would say do it everytime you flash and change the trans parameters. I would think you'd be ok if you didn't change the TCM settings.

wreckwriter
08-07-2009, 01:04 PM
1. Yes very quick, hit the button (nothing much really happens...that you can see)

2. I would say do it everytime you flash and change the trans parameters. I would think you'd be ok if you didn't change the TCM settings.

Perfect. Thanks again John!

shane
08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
yep i would just do it along with each flash just like resetting the FT's

shane
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
ok guys i think ill be ordering a set of the kooks mid 1 7/8 headers a guy from kooks over on the g8baord said they can make them in offroad, so i called and he was out of the office but the guy i talked to did say they made 1 set for a guy that was the 1 3/4 mids offroad.
i would think/hope they would be cheaper W/O cats im gonna try and call him again tommorrow.

i guess if/when i get headers ill just dial in the MAF again where my LTFT are -1/-3 like now and throw the W/B in and do some PE tuning?????

johnh
08-11-2009, 05:07 AM
i guess if/when i get headers ill just dial in the MAF again where my LTFT are -1/-3 like now and throw the W/B in and do some PE tuning?????

Yep. You could try tuning the "VE" but IMHO not worth it until you change the cam.

shane
08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
my newest tune i have VE disabled

gonna try this for now and see how it does

shane
08-12-2009, 08:34 PM
i pooped lol..

spent a some time the last few nights getting the MAf as close as possible,
i had LTFT knocked out and was always getting -1/-3.

I just wanted to dial in the MAF more closely on the big end..

so i set the PE to 1.175 across the board =12.5 AFR

and then disabed VE and on the scanner turned off close loop and fuel trim learn and worked on getting the 8kup MAF HZ close..

Used a plot ( have the WB running through the scanner)that found AFR% error from MAF to Commanded AFR and WB AFR...i got almost all of it within 1% so im happy i doubt i gained anything but more knowledge always is good..

i did this that way im not just tweaking the Pe tables to get AFR this way its very close to PE and not just using it to tweak it richer or leaner here and there..

im going to leave VE disabled for now and see how it does.
this is done by setting dynamic air flow to like 200 then 100 on re enable

shane
08-12-2009, 08:41 PM
here is the latest log like i said i got it close as possible i think if i did anymore i would just be going back and fourth over and over and just waste my time...

log and tune

G8-4-Speed
08-15-2009, 09:18 AM
I failed me VE a while back but it makes you commited to it since VE uses a filtered version of MAF and will throw your trims back off when you return to VE. It seems that VE was better with temp changes than straight MAF, but I didn't stick with it long enough to say for sure. Yours looks pretty good. It would interesting to see how yours does between good and bad air days with LTFT.

I think Mid-length Kooks are the way to go for bolt-ons. BUT if you are going cat-less, why not go with Doug Thorty headers? They seem to make good power.

shane
08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I failed me VE a while back but it makes you commited to it since VE uses a filtered version of MAF and will throw your trims back off when you return to VE. It seems that VE was better with temp changes than straight MAF, but I didn't stick with it long enough to say for sure. Yours looks pretty good. It would interesting to see how yours does between good and bad air days with LTFT.

I think Mid-length Kooks are the way to go for bolt-ons. BUT if you are going cat-less, why not go with Doug Thorty headers? They seem to make good power.

i dont know im not 100% sold on the Tri Y design...

99-LS1-SS
08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Guys, I'm hooking up my wideband now and I want to make sure I hook the correct wires into the MPVI connector. Which two should go to it? Thanks.

shane
08-16-2009, 06:36 PM
i did 1 and 5...with the lm1

what kinda WB are u using?

shane
08-16-2009, 07:15 PM
has anyone really messed with the TCC stuff? its prob one of the only things i havent messed with and tried out..