PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Results

UGotSmkd
04-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Right about what I expected. I am happy with the results. I have the PowerFlash coming soon, so we'll see what I can get out of her then.

MichaelG8
04-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice numbers.

It's A G8!
04-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Glad your happy with your but I was not happy with mine. I only got 314 hp/310 tq. Thats with the vector tune.

UGotSmkd
04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Glad your happy with your but I was not happy with mine. I only got 314 hp/310 tq. Thats with the vector tune.

Yeah IDK what happened. Something was definitely not right. I know they will take care of the issue when you get in touch with them.

fiveoh
04-20-2009, 06:06 AM

Was yours the last white one of the day? I have vararam and vector tune and only got 318/317. I was dissapointed as well.

G8GXP4now
04-20-2009, 10:53 AM
What gear did they do the auto tranny pulls in?

With all the F-bods that I saw, do you think they thought 3rd gear was a 1 to 1?

boomer
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Ya, judging by you chart it looks like they did the pull in 3rd gear......they should have used 4th gear. although 4th gear isn't 1:1 either, but its close.

G8GXP4now
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Looks like 85 mph at 5200 rpm from the chart.......that would be 3rd.

In 4th gear the mph would be around 120ish.

fiveoh
04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Which means the numbers are high or low?

GRRRR8
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Low. Been trying to figure that out today as I have been asked if it was in 3rd or why it was in 3rd too many times in 24 hours.

It's A G8!
04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Was yours the last white one of the day? I have vararam and vector tune and only got 318/317. I was dissapointed as well.

Yea mine was the last white one that got dyno'd.I hope they did dyno it in 3rd gear that way there is some explanation for the low numbers.

G8GXP4now
04-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Technically mine was the last white G8 dyno'd that day , but y'all had already left!

roy@icon
04-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes we made all of the pulls in third gear. Reason is that some cars had stock tunes, six speed auto with a 2:92 gear and we did not want to hit the speed limiter before the rev limit on the dyno. We wanted to have all the cars make pulls in the same gear to compare to one another.The First person that sends me a pm that they want to make a pull in 4th gear can come by the shop tomorrow for FREE to see the difference to post out to the people that are concerned. Sound fair? I can also put my car back on the dyno and compare for you?

GRRRR8
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Thats fair Roy. Nobody questioning your car at all. I still want to do the Saturday deal we talked about too. Just in 4th gear. :)

bwooten492
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
damn i was wondering why i thought my car dynoed low. Would this be the culprit?
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

locrzn#92
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I think we are wasting time trying to figure this dyno shit out. Take it to the track and get a base number. Do your tune and intake and go back. The dyno for the average guy just makes him mad or glad. The seat of the pants or ets and mph is really the key to what the car really does. I'm not saying don't do the dyno runs, not at all, just don't base everything on the pulls you do. I've seen posts on here that guys made a bunch of hp and go to the track and the car just doesn't perform and others with not so good of numbers came out pretty good. So, don't put so much into this dyno tuning, just because the numbers are low doesn't mean your car won't perform at the track. I've been on two different dynoes, neither one were that good a number, my car runs pretty decent at the track and I'm happy with that. No its not that fastest g8 out there and its definetly not the slowest. According to my 1/8 mile numbers I should be down in the very low 13's and my car put up pretty low numbers. I don't think you'll see huge gains in the 3rd compared to 4th. They should have pulled in 4th. I bet 4-5 hp more when you pull in 4th because its closer to 1-1.

UGotSmkd
04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes we made all of the pulls in third gear. Reason is that some cars had stock tunes, six speed auto with a 2:92 gear and we did not want to hit the speed limiter before the rev limit on the dyno. We wanted to have all the cars make pulls in the same gear to compare to one another.The First person that sends me a pm that they want to make a pull in 4th gear can come by the shop tomorrow for FREE to see the difference to post out to the people that are concerned. Sound fair? I can also put my car back on the dyno and compare for you?

It doesn't matter to me that the pulls were done in 3rd, as I am happy with the results. Out of curiosity I would like to do a 4th gear pull sometime just to see if there is any difference at all. I can't do it during the week. I will get in touch with you in a few weeks and setup a few pulls during the weekend..

UGotSmkd
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I think we are wasting time trying to figure this dyno shit out. Take it to the track and get a base number. Do your tune and intake and go back. The dyno for the average guy just makes him mad or glad. The seat of the pants or ets and mph is really the key to what the car really does. I'm not saying don't do the dyno runs, not at all, just don't base everything on the pulls you do. I've seen posts on here that guys made a bunch of hp and go to the track and the car just doesn't perform and others with not so good of numbers came out pretty good. So, don't put so much into this dyno tuning, just because the numbers are low doesn't mean your car won't perform at the track. I've been on two different dynoes, neither one were that good a number, my car runs pretty decent at the track and I'm happy with that. No its not that fastest g8 out there and its definetly not the slowest. According to my 1/8 mile numbers I should be down in the very low 13's and my car put up pretty low numbers. I don't think you'll see huge gains in the 3rd compared to 4th. They should have pulled in 4th. I bet 4-5 hp more when you pull in 4th because its closer to 1-1.

I know dyno pulls are sort of a reference as to where you are at, but I don't go to the track hardly at all. I guess it is piece of mind I am looking for.

GeorgeInNePa
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM

+1!!!

Dynos are for tuning.

A dyno number doesn't make your car fast.

UGotSmkd
04-20-2009, 05:15 PM
+1!!!

Dynos are for tuning.

A dyno number doesn't make your car fast.

Nobody is saying it is making their car faster. Like I stated, it is just a reference to where I/we are at. All I wanted to do was post my results like a lot of people here that have had pulls. It's not like I am boasting about my numbers to throw in people's faces, because I wasn't anywhere close to the numbers some of the others were getting.

It's A G8!
04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Look guys dyno # say something too. Ugotsmkd pulled 317 with only the NEP OTR and no tune. I on the other hand have the same intake + the vector tune specifically for that intake.Plus ported intake and throttle body. And I only got 314. That tells me there is something fishy going on with my car.

roy@icon
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM

I agree 100%. We did all the autos in 3rd and the GXP's in 4th. All dyno's are going to put out different #'s. So it is hard to compare your numbers to other peoples that dynoed on a different dyno and on a different day and a different shop. There are a lot of factors taken into consideration when a car makes a pull on a dyno like temp., humidity, heat soak, ect...... The one thing that was good about our dyno day was that all the cars dynoed the same day, same temp ect. And we had a lot of car with different combos. So you can still compare your numbers with someone that was at the dyno day. Like our shop car put down 377rwhp the other day and on the dyno day it put down 379rwhp. We are still going to put our G8 on the dyno and do some pulls to see if there is any difference between 3rd & 4th gear pulls and we will post up for you guys. It should not make a big difference but we will see. I want to thank all who showed up to the dyno day. We all had a great time and we look forward to see you guys again.

locrzn#92
04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Smoked, was it on a dynojet or mustang? Mustangs always read lower the dynojet from what I understand. I think the mustang just puts more load on the drive train and that labors the engine more then the dynojet. We've seen a lot of mustang dyno base numbers
around 285hp, dyojets in the low 300hp range, so, your probably pretty close at 317 with the NEP OTR. Buy you a SC Cortex to go with you NEP otr and head to the track and have some fun.

UGotSmkd
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Smoked, was it on a dynojet or mustang? Mustangs always read lower the dynojet from what I understand. I think the mustang just puts more load on the drive train and that labors the engine more then the dynojet. We've seen a lot of mustang dyno base numbers
around 285hp, dyojets in the low 300hp range, so, your probably pretty close at 317 with the NEP OTR. Buy you a SC Cortex to go with you NEP otr and head to the track and have some fun.

It was a dynojet. I'm not sure which version, but I know it was a dynojet. I didn't get the Cortex because I already bought the powerflash and the VMS tune, which is on it's way, so I will see how much more I can get out of it. Though I am not really a track guy, I will probably end up going soon.

Mike@NewEra
04-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Look guys dyno # say something too. Ugotsmkd pulled 317 with only the NEP OTR and no tune. I on the other hand have the same intake + the vector tune specifically for that intake.Plus ported intake and throttle body. And I only got 314. That tells me there is something fishy going on with my car.

Just get with VMS and get it retuned, mail order tunes can need some tweaking, that isn't uncommon. I am pretty sure they have something called a flash express or something that helps with this? Just trying to help.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
04-21-2009, 05:14 AM
We see a 16 to 18 HP difference between 3rd & 4th gear.

I have pulled cars in either gear. You can only pull a un-tuned car in 3rd gear because of the top speed limiter.

The beauty of the PowerFlash system is that we can tweak the car to get optimal results.

GRRRR8
04-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the info Kirk! That explains some peoples issues. It also means that I am around 450rwhp. Now if I can figure out a rough # for torque converter loss or if there is one when its not locked up, I might get real happy! :devil:

UGotSmkd
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
We see a 16 to 18 HP difference between 3rd & 4th gear.

I have pulled cars in either gear. You can only pull a un-tuned car in 3rd gear because of the top speed limiter.

The beauty of the PowerFlash system is that we can tweak the car to get optimal results.

I didn't know there was that much difference between 3rd and 4th. I guess it would be pointless to speculate what I could of pulled (untuned) had it been in 4th.

roy@icon
04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info Kirk! That explains some peoples issues. It also means that I am around 450rwhp. Now if I can figure out a rough # for torque converter loss or if there is one when its not locked up, I might get real happy! :devil:

When did you want to come by and tweak on your car? I will try and call you later on tonight. We are going to make some pulls on our shop G8 tonight and post up the difference for you guys. I will take some video of it and put up the graphs of both gears. I don't think it will be a gain of 18rwhp but we will see. Because that would put us at 397rwhp with the mods on our car?

It's A G8!
04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Just get with VMS and get it retuned, mail order tunes can need some tweaking, that isn't uncommon. I am pretty sure they have something called a flash express or something that helps with this? Just trying to help.

Well I sent an email to kirk and still no response.

GRRRR8
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
When did you want to come by and tweak on your car? I will try and call you later on tonight. We are going to make some pulls on our shop G8 tonight and post up the difference for you guys. I will take some video of it and put up the graphs of both gears. I don't think it will be a gain of 18rwhp but we will see. Because that would put us at 397rwhp with the mods on our car?

I am trying to figure that out. Sunday is my only day, but I am really trying to squeeze a Saturday soon. I know your shop is busy as well, so i wouldnt even think of it during the week.

roy@icon
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
We dynoed the car in 3rd and 4th tonight. We picked up 3 rwhp and 20rwtq in 4th gear. I will post the graph tomorrow.

locrzn#92
04-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Wow, 20hp. I thought it would pick up 4-5, but, 20hp is awsome.

GeorgeInNePa
04-22-2009, 03:15 AM
No, they picked up 20 torques (as J.Clarkson would say).

;)

It's A G8!
04-22-2009, 03:16 AM
^^^^^ 20 rwtq not horsepower.

It's A G8!
04-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Dam george beat me to it!

GRRRR8
04-22-2009, 04:12 AM
I figured that as I knew my car should be around 400 TQ. I am happy regardless. I think the # is a little higher now too. :)

locrzn#92
04-22-2009, 04:59 AM
OOOOPPPPPPS, man I'm an idiot.

bwooten492
04-22-2009, 05:34 AM
We dynoed the car in 3rd and 4th tonight. We picked up 3 rwhp and 20rwtq in 4th gear. I will post the graph tomorrow.

OK now my numbers sound like they did at HPE. Good deal.

-Ray-
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Cliff notes:

Not all dynos are the same. Get to the track.
Untuned= dyno in 3rd.
Tuned= dyno in 4th.

It's just a number, don't define your car by it.

UGotSmkd
04-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Looks like 85 mph at 5200 rpm from the chart.......that would be 3rd.

In 4th gear the mph would be around 120ish.

What's wierd is some charts show the RPMs, but mine shows MPH.

-Ray-
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
It's just how the software is set up.

bwooten492
04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Cliff notes:

Not all dynos are the same. Get to the track.
Untuned= dyno in 3rd.
Tuned= dyno in 4th.

It's just a number, don't define your car by it.

I think a dyno number means more than what some people give credit for. Not every car is set up as a track car. Just look at some of the 900+ HP Supras running around. They might not run the best times for the HP they have but I promise you wouldn't want to mess with one on the highway.

GeorgeInNePa
04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I think a dyno number means more than what some people give credit for. Not every car is set up as a track car. Just look at some of the 900+ HP Supras running around. They might not run the best times for the HP they have but I promise you wouldn't want to mess with one on the highway.

All that guy really cares about is how fast his Supra goes from 55-155.

The dyno number still means very little, in the grand scheme of things.

bwooten492
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
All that guy really cares about is how fast his Supra goes from 55-155.

The dyno number still means very little, in the grand scheme of things.

Arguable, but I'll leave it alone.

GRRRR8
04-23-2009, 04:50 AM
The problem I have with dynos is this: Extract every last HP on a dyno and take it to the track. Now log and use a wideband at the track and you will find the tune is off, retune it the car goes faster. Put it back on the dyno and the #s are lower yet you picked up a few tenths. If the dyno was in a wind tunnel to simulate the air going into the car at speeds, then that would be more accurate. It is just a baseline. The guy that bolted the Vararam while he was on the dyno got what he paid for so to speak. He did a pull, swapped intakes and did another pull. However, since there was not 47mph worth of air being forced through the front of the car and the tune wasnt corrected for just the Vararam (no timing or other adjustments), he still didnt see the maximum gain from his modification.

GeorgeInNePa
04-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Arguable, but I'll leave it alone.

You can argue, I won't bite.

;)

I just don't see the need to get in a tizzy over dyno numbers.

ET numbers, we can compare those, even from opposite sides of the country. We can correct them with DA numbers and get an idea.

Try that with two different dynos, in two different cities, on two different days.

Can't compare.

A dyno number, IMO, should be used only to compare improvements in your car. You should use the same dyno facility to do it.

PS, I have no idea what my car has for horsepower.

bwooten492
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
You can argue, I won't bite.

;)

I just don't see the need to get in a tizzy over dyno numbers.

ET numbers, we can compare those, even from opposite sides of the country. We can correct them with DA numbers and get an idea.

Try that with two different dynos, in two different cities, on two different days.

Can't compare.

A dyno number, IMO, should be used only to compare improvements in your car. You should use the same dyno facility to do it.

yeah, I see what you are saying. I just don't think quarter mile times are the end all with cars. I know plenty of people that run slowish ET's but roll out hard on the street. Its all because they are IRS cars that make big numbers and they don't feel like buying a new rear-end every month. Those are street cars. If you want a track car thats cool, build a track car. This is my daily and it will be for a while so mine will always be a street car. (I just hope I can afford to make it a little faster.)

KaiserM715
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM

I agree. While I did participate at the Dyno Day at Icon (I have no issues with my numbers at their dyno), I am going back to the place I had my car dyno'd stock, for the very reason George stated. I want to know the change in hp and torque from stock to now, and the best way to do that is on the same dyno.

vipz28
04-26-2009, 06:17 AM
LOL I don't think you're going to see +15 Hp just by going to 4th gear, if you do, holy shit my car is awesome. (My tune, Xpipe, RotoFab) 330/340 that day.

http://tehawesome.com/ICONDynoDay/IMG_6245.JPG

GRRRR8
04-26-2009, 06:30 AM
You might not, but you could see more then that in TQ in a car like mine. That is coming from Roy @ ICON.

Steve@Vectormotorsports
04-28-2009, 08:15 AM

At what RPM did you see a 20rwtq. gain?

Darkside
04-28-2009, 10:55 AM

The answer is the same for all of us ------ not enough. Get busy!

roy@icon
04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is a quick video that I told Charlie I would post up. We did some more tuning on the car and we are at 386RWHP and 405RWTQ !!

Mods to car:

Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers
Kooks off road X-Pipe
Magna flow axle backs
UD pulley
AFE Cold air kit
ICON Autosports custom wide band dyno tune.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/royzss/th_MOV01616.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/royzss/?action=view&current=MOV01616.flv)