PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this weekend from my runs...

johnh
04-19-2009, 06:30 AM
1. I didn't get any faster. However, my car was very consistent. My first three runs were within .02 s of each other (13.34, 13.33, 13,35 all at 106.xx mph). Most runs were 13.3 or 13.4.
Weather was a good 20* warmer than my runs two weeks ago..I think it was close to 75* or so.

2. Manual mode didn't do me any favors, its too difficult to time the shifting, plus holding third gear through the traps netted me my slowest time (13.6). Drive and Sport were a toss up, although I've got them tuned pretty much that same as far as 1/4 mile.

3. Darn transmission doesn't shift consistently on the 3-4. My 1-2 is perfect just "scratching the tires", 2-3 "leaps forward" but the 3-4 is slow and not nearly hard enough, plus sometimes its shifts before or during the traps, so I figure fixing the shift should be worth at least a tenth.

4. Vararam needs a HSRK, the MAF gets heat soaked pretty fast.

Best launch technique: Hold the brakes, no brake torque and just mash the gas on the third yellow. I tried quite a few different techniques, brake torquing everywhere from 500 to 2000 rpm, with/without Traction control (which were pretty decent for traction control). Using the hold and mash, I was able to get 2.0's pretty consistent. I could have probably done better with some better track prep, they were pretty stingy with the VHT at MidMichigan--in fact I don't even think there's any on my wheel wells.

Did have a great day watching some fast w-bodies (GP and a Turbo Monte SS) and MikeP and John run. I wanted some better times, but the heat (and I think my 3-4 shift tune) weren't helping. I still can't seem to beat the 1.9 60' mark...

And oh yeah MikeP needs DRs or slicks..he can spin the tires all the way through first gear, making it hard to get a good run.

GRRRR8
04-19-2009, 06:34 AM
If your shift points are 6200-6300 you can go through the traps in third. Just set the rev limiter + 200 over the shift point.

johnh
04-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah I think I am set at 6150 right now. I am concern about revving that high with the AFM lifters...

GRRRR8
04-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I had mine as high as 6500! 6200-6300 is normal in most everyones tunes.

Mike P
04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
(I already PM'ed with John), But it definitely was a fun day. It was cool seeing JohnH again and meeting the other John "One Slow Green GT".

JohnH could definitely set his dial in at 13.29 and he'd probably come close, if not winning a bracket racing event. His times were very consistant.

Yes, Stanton, MI was very stingy with their VHT. Maybe I can donate some of it if they frickin' spray down my lane before I run!

It was a nice day, but I couldn't beat my 12.65, that sucks.... :(

It's all about getting some MT ET Streets (bias ply) next + wheels..... :)

1. I didn't get any faster. However, my car was very consistent. My first three runs were within .02 s of each other (13.34, 13.33, 13,35 all at 106.xx mph). Most runs were 13.3 or 13.4.
Weather was a good 20* warmer than my runs two weeks ago..I think it was close to 75* or so.

2. Manual mode didn't do me any favors, its too difficult to time the shifting, plus holding third gear through the traps netted me my slowest time (13.6). Drive and Sport were a toss up, although I've got them tuned pretty much that same as far as 1/4 mile.

3. Darn transmission doesn't shift consistently on the 3-4. My 1-2 is perfect just "scratching the tires", 2-3 "leaps forward" but the 3-4 is slow and not nearly hard enough, plus sometimes its shifts before or during the traps, so I figure fixing the shift should be worth at least a tenth.

4. Vararam needs a HSRK, the MAF gets heat soaked pretty fast.

Best launch technique: Hold the brakes, no brake torque and just mash the gas on the third yellow. I tried quite a few different techniques, brake torquing everywhere from 500 to 2000 rpm, with/without Traction control (which were pretty decent for traction control). Using the hold and mash, I was able to get 2.0's pretty consistent. I could have probably done better with some better track prep, they were pretty stingy with the VHT at MidMichigan--in fact I don't even think there's any on my wheel wells.

Did have a great day watching some fast w-bodies (GP and a Turbo Monte SS) and MikeP and John run. I wanted some better times, but the heat (and I think my 3-4 shift tune) weren't helping. I still can't seem to beat the 1.9 60' mark...

And oh yeah MikeP needs DRs or slicks..he can spin the tires all the way through first gear, making it hard to get a good run.

edmanet
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I learned I need DRs. And then I need some practice. I ran a 13.60 @ 114 mph today.

All I can do is shake my head.