PDA

View Full Version : Tire Problem/Attemped repair

gagecalman
04-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I took my 09 in Friday for a slight vibration in the steering wheel at about 65 mph. My apt was for 8:00. The tech said he felt it and would balance and rotate the tires. He said one was out 1oz and two were out 1/2 oz. They sent me on my way and when I got on 95 it felt like the tires were falling off. I called right away and they told me to bring it right back. I found out the tech didn't even drive it after he balanced the tires. He said he would try the road force balance. At about 2:00 I spoke to the service mananger and voiced my concern. He said he was sorry that it wasn't driven before they sent me on my way. At 3:00 he came and told me they were going to order 3 tires because they were bad. I said after all the trouble can't they just replace all 4. He said they would. So now I have to take it back. I have the 18" all season Goodyears. I have 2 questions:
Are these Goodyear tires junk?
If road force balance is best why don't they just do it?
Thanks for listening. I am going to drink a beer now.
Jim

-Ray-
04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Jim, I had a similar issue with my G6. Pontiac dealer had to install a vibration sensor in my car. They went through 3 sets of tires before they could get a set road force balanced that would be under the vibration sensors sensitivity.
I would request the new tires be road force balanced. Some of the Goodyears aren't known for their traction capabilities.

djchubbs
04-18-2009, 06:08 PM
BECAUSE GOODYEAR IS LIKE CHRYSLER OVER PRICED JUNK. THE SHOP I WORK AT WE ROAD FORCE EVERY NEW TIRE INSTALLED TO MAKE SURE THE CUST IS HAPPY THE FIRST TIME. AND GOODYEAR SUCK

:flame:GOODYEAR

norm8332
04-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately the OEM Goodyear RSA aren't very good tires. I've had them come on my last two vehicles and when they were replaced with a different model there was a big improvement in all areas.

Devilish34
04-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Umm what is road force balance???

EcoBrick Bob
04-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I am running my 08' 19's on the front of both my 08' & 09'. They had 12K mi and the road force was less than 2 lbs on each of the 4. All of my front custom front wheels/tires have about 1 oz of weight. There may be better handling tires, but our Bridgestone's are well made!

-Ray-
04-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Umm what is road force balance???
Road Force Balancing (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=40)

Devilish34
04-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Road Force Balancing (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=40)

Thanks I googled it after I asked.. The guy that does must of the work on my trucks has one. I just never heard of it a road force balance

evergreenbar
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
New member here and thanks to previous posts solved vibration at 55mph issue.
Picked up a week ago '09 GT Silver. Next day was back at dealer with rusted rotors problem. They polished rotors and sent me on my way. Still had vibration problem and dealer claimed to re-balance front tires. (statically) Back to the dealer next day, and after standing on their shoulders they agreed to Road Force Balancing at an outside vendor. Vendor found all 4 tires out of balance and I think I'm happy?
I guess pre-delivery inspections are a thing of the past.
I told the dealer I'm his worst nightmare since I'm retired and would return daily if necessary!
FYI Tires were balanced at$25each at dealers expense.:spank::spank:

-Ray-
05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Glad you were able to get it solved. Don't forget your dealership can also be your friend. My being friendly with the dealership has enabled me to get some great bargains.

jbradsh1
05-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I took my 09 in Friday for a slight vibration in the steering wheel at about 65 mph. My apt was for 8:00. The tech said he felt it and would balance and rotate the tires. He said one was out 1oz and two were out 1/2 oz. They sent me on my way and when I got on 95 it felt like the tires were falling off. I called right away and they told me to bring it right back. I found out the tech didn't even drive it after he balanced the tires. He said he would try the road force balance. At about 2:00 I spoke to the service mananger and voiced my concern. He said he was sorry that it wasn't driven before they sent me on my way. At 3:00 he came and told me they were going to order 3 tires because they were bad. I said after all the trouble can't they just replace all 4. He said they would. So now I have to take it back. I have the 18" all season Goodyears. I have 2 questions:
Jim

Well, I have actually been impressed with my Goodyear A/S tires. Smooth as glass up to 130 mph anyway. No vibration at any speed, quiet, and I have over 21K miles on them with about 6-8 trips to the drag strip (mild burn outs) and they still have about 5K left in them. I can't complain at all but I do want something higher performance when I change these out. I've decided to go with General Exclaims: 255x45x18 back and 245x45x18 front. They weigh 27 lbs each. They are UHP summer tires but if you read the reviews they almost all say they are very good as A/S tires in snow and excellent in the rain for both traction and hydroplaning resistance ... and they are supposed to be very quiet. Plus they have a 30 day try out on them, you can return them if you don't like them. I'm getting ready to order them before the rainy season starts in earnest here in Florida.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
05-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I have always been a big BF Goodrich fan, but I put a set of the new Goodyear Eagle GT's on my car and it's the best tire I have owned. They have great dry and wet traction, go thru the snow well, and they corner fantastic. They are smooth on the highway with just a little bit is noise on concrete roads and very quiet on paved roads. Also there is no hydroplaning at all with them on rain drenched roads. They probably cost more than the General Acclaim but it's a far better tire. Some guys had them on their Grand Prix, they wore out quickly and were very noisy as time went by.

timg8
05-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I have had a lot of problems with Goodyear tires and I'm talking about Eagles. It seems at least one will always have a bead leak (very slow) and I've had several with a goose egg on the tread somewhere. Have gone exclusively to Michelin which have been great tires for me. These Bridgestones seem to be real nice tires but they are seriously expensive for a daily driver.

In the RV forums they have stated that a lot of the Goodyear tires now come from...:mellow: China???

Chocolate
05-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Pilot Sport PS 2 is my beverage of choice. Any way, who doesn't love the French?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
They must have increased the quality of the new Eagles GT's. I haven't added any air in the 6 months I've had them on my car, and there's no tread imperfections on any of them. I never did like Michelins, and the only good tires they make are way over priced.

Gris
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM
They must have increased the quality of the new Eagles GT's. I haven't added any air in the 6 months I've had them on my car, and there's no tread imperfections on any of them. I never did like Michelins, and the only good tires they make are way over priced.

Seconded, I had some Eagle GTs on a Firebird a few years back and thought they were great tires.

Larry GT
08-27-2009, 09:15 AM
They looked at me strangely when I replaced my Goodyears with a set of new Michellins, as the mileage, ( to them at least). did not seem to warrant a change.
Suffice to say, the replacements are much better than what the car came with.

Blkg8gt
08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Jim
personally I think those tires are junk so may disagree but I can't stand them. The reason they don't road force balance everytime is because it's a process and take a lot longer to do.

Blackrider
08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I have 4 new Potenzas on the way, but from what I'm told it won't fix the vibration as its not the tires.