PDA

View Full Version : Things you didnt know about your G8...

shane
04-18-2009, 05:06 PM
ok over on the Gto forum when i had my 04 there was a good thread about things people discovered on the gto's...

I would like you know if there is little neat things or hidden things about the g8's

So far
Turning up the amp in the trunk (same way as the gto)

engineering mode is something else the gto had also..

Anything else people?

The Commodore
04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
2nd gear pull at about 4k rpm.

Rest reminder.

I think we have a rear sway bar...I could be wrong.

GRRRR8
04-18-2009, 05:40 PM
The DIY section lists most of them out.

todds87ss
04-18-2009, 06:01 PM
If there was something I didn't know about my G8, how would I know that I didn't know?
(Oh, that's right, Charlie would tell me!)

GRRRR8
04-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Correct! :)

djchubbs
04-18-2009, 06:10 PM
On self test there is a 1-4 light what is that

GRRRR8
04-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Never paid attention to it, but I will do the self test and post tomorrow. I would do it now but the cars up at the shop.

GAG8
04-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Skip Shift: Forced 1st to 4th shift with a manual transmission under low load to conserve fuel.

GRRRR8
04-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I kinda thought that, but it is not applicable to our cars.

GAG8
04-18-2009, 06:24 PM
True, although the GXP has it. I don't know if they use it with the SS V or other models in Australia.

GRRRR8
04-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I think they have a 4spd manual in the Lumina.

GAG8
04-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Your car has an Event Data Recorder (EDR) that GM, law enforcement, or your insurance company can get information from should a non-trivial crash situation occur.

It retains the information for approximately the last 30 seconds before the crash.

This information includes:

How various systems in your car were operating
Wheter you had your seat belts buckled
The throttle position and whether the brake pedal was pressed
How fast the vehicle was traveling

If OnStar is active it will also call for help for you.

R.Penguin
04-18-2009, 07:46 PM
The heated leather seats on the GT's with them installed are actually live kangaroos built right into the seats. That's all I can tell ya'. :p

Panzer Leader
04-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Your car has an Event Data Recorder (EDR) that GM, law enforcement, or your insurance company can get information from should a non-trivial crash situation occur.

It retains the information for approximately the last 30 seconds before the crash.

That explains why in the Engineer Mode there is a throttle position %. The one I like will be the triple guage cluster.

todds87ss
04-18-2009, 08:29 PM
an inverted engine cover makes a fine Penguin feeding trough - in a pinch.

PerfectD3
04-19-2009, 03:39 AM
The heated leather seats on the GT's with them installed are actually live kangaroos built right into the seats. That's all I can tell ya'. :p

LOL! You know my salesman said he didn't like the leather in this car, that it smell completely different from most leathers. I thought it possibly could be kangaroo leather (it is a real leather, used mostly in uber expensive motorcycle jackets/pants). I did some searching but could never find an answer. It would be hella nice though, kangaroo leather is alot better than cow leather (thicker, more durable, alot stonger).

bigtreepu
04-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Pollution Mode: Anytime the car is going under 8 mph, the air automatically recircs to prevent pulling in the fumes from outside. This feature can turned on/off by holding down the recirc button for around 5 seconds.

~Matt

SRG963
04-19-2009, 04:45 AM
You can enter engineering mode with remote start.

After remotely starting, just press the enter button while turning the key and you will enter engineering mode.

13 QTR
04-19-2009, 04:48 AM
What the hell is 'rest reminder'?

SRG963
04-19-2009, 04:53 AM

It's a message that's displayed on your DIC after a couple hours of continuous driving to remind you to rest (take breaks) :)

Panzer Leader
04-19-2009, 05:25 AM

In case your bladder does not tell you.:clap:

PontiacDan
04-20-2009, 04:58 AM
I always enjoyed the "tap start" system where you don't have to hold the key while the engine cranks

wreckwriter
04-20-2009, 05:02 AM
I always enjoyed the "tap start" system where you don't have to hold the key while the engine cranks

Yea, me too! Its a neat feature that I've never seen before.

mtolivecracker
04-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Can I have some explanation on this this 'tap start'? Never heard of it.

SRG963
04-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Can I have some explanation on this this 'tap start'? Never heard of it.

You don't need to hold the key to start, just twist and let go :)

Chewy
04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
A lot of the newer cars seem to have that now.

I didn't know the paint was THAT thin...

Nothing 475 dollars won't fix! Fuck me!

Chris

Rayvan
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Pollution Mode: Anytime the car is going under 8 mph, the air automatically recircs to prevent pulling in the fumes from outside. This feature can turned on/off by holding down the recirc button for around 5 seconds.

~Matt

I wish it had a automatic cattle-ranch detector on it!:wacko:

mtolivecracker
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
You don't need to hold the key to start, just twist and let go :)

Wow, I might have to get addicted to that now too, just like the one touch quick 3 blink deal. I have become so used to the easiness of it that i get angry at my family cars that dont have it. The g8 just keeps on spoiling me.

djchubbs
04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
My buddy mark oslson trainer for pontiac told me about this. Hold down the recirc button for about 5 seconds and the radio screen will say pollution control mode on. What it does is when you are traveling around 15mph it kicks the engine fan on high to try and blow the exhaust fumes away or something like that. Check it out

snowmunky
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
yep, discovered the lane-change blinker on my test drive... thought something was wrong at first until i realized what it was doing.

engineering mode i learned of on this site... same with the subwoofer amp gain.

didn't know about the 'tap start' until today when reading this thread, ha. i'm so used to holding the key until it fires, i tried it on my lunch break and was astonished, lmao.

oh, i have one... on '08's.... the sunroof dial... if you press and hold it in and move it, the sunroof will not move until you press it again.

Kermit
04-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I think I found out one today. Your headlight will come on automatically if your windshield wipers are also on. Takes about 30 seconds for the car to register the wipers are on and then my lights came on.

cobrakid
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I think it recirculates the air instead of using outside air, as to not suck in fumed air??????

PontiacDan
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
hmm. havn't heard of that one yet. my 05 colorado came with the tap start too

Top Speed
04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
The car HVAC goes into recirc mode at speeds lower than 9 mph.

djchubbs
04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
when you put in pollution control mode the recirc sign is not on

norm8332
04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I'll have to try this. Good find.

morgan72
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
This is from the Getting to Know your 2009 Pontiac G8 Guide, pg 9.

"Press this button
to recirculate air inside the vehicle. This
mode helps heat or cool the vehicle
more quickly and prevents outside air
and odors from entering the vehicle.
Press and hold this button for four
seconds to activate the pollution mode,
which will enable the system to automatically
select recirculation when vehicle
speed is less than 9 mph. This helps
prevent exhaust fumes from entering the
vehicle in heavy traffic."

R.Penguin
04-20-2009, 08:31 PM
My buddy mark oslson trainer for pontiac told me about this. Hold down the recirc button for about 5 seconds and the radio screen will say pollution control mode on. What it does is when you are traveling around 15mph it kicks the engine fan on high to try and blow the exhaust fumes away or something like that. Check it out
Just don't use it a few hours after eating beans & sauerkraut! *gag* :hang:

KenV
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I wonder if this will end the "starts off in non-recirc when remote-starting the car" bullcrap. I always use recirc....

....come to think, I haven't ever taken the user Manual out of the glovebox. That's a first. Heaven forbid I learn something.

bigtreepu
04-21-2009, 12:46 AM
I posted this 2 or 3 days ago. Guess you didn't see it.

http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=5711&page=2

Post 17.

~Matt

bigtreepu
04-21-2009, 01:01 AM
The headlights do come on after the windshield wipers are on. They come on from intermittent, like the 3rd setting to anything faster.
~Matt

todds87ss
04-21-2009, 02:10 AM

I just drove 14 hours, and got no "rest reminder"...unless you count the ominious "CONTACT DEALER"!

SLA
04-21-2009, 03:04 AM

Actually you don't have to have an active onstar acct. for them to call for help in an accident.

pokey
04-21-2009, 04:39 AM
I find pollution mode to be a bit confusing. I have figured out it will not work for me if I turn off the air conditioning. When on though, sometimes it works...sometimes no. I have too many other more important irritating things to look at at the moment. Nice feature though, I wish it would stay on to about 15-20mph.

BluYa76
04-21-2009, 04:45 AM
I posted this 2 or 3 days ago. Guess you didn't see it.

http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=5711&page=2

Post 17.

~Matt

Well I didn't and I'm glad it was brought up again since it was buried under all the previous posts!

EC-Ryder
04-21-2009, 05:20 AM
I prefer not to use the rec feature, as I learned from a nephew who worked for the Cadillac division as a service engineer that he would always open the window periodically now and then while driving. When curiosity finally got the best of me to ask him why since he does not smoke, he enlighten me as to the many pollutants that are emitted from within the vehicle on account of the materials and even your own clothing and dead skin which can carry viruses.

I now open my window every five minutes or so to exchange the air inside my vehicle. :windy:

Cheers!

edfiero
04-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I just drove 14 hours, and got no "rest reminder"...unless you count the ominious "CONTACT DEALER"!

Same here.. recent 8 hour trip, never saw this message once.

jimmyban
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Same here.. recent 8 hour trip, never saw this message once.

I believe it is an optional setting within the "customization" menu of the DIC. Normally off I suspect as I have never seen it either while driving but do recall seeing the menu item.

G8+6=fun
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
You have to set it up by DIC for it to work....

GrandPrix98GT
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
If you get in the car after your alarm has gone off, the DIC will show the alarm had been set off and where it occurred.

i.e. this morning, I got in the car, turned it on and the DIC stated my alarm had gone off and showed driver's front door as the reason.

Master8ter
04-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Hold down the button under "source" on the steering wheels controlls, and the DIC says
"Service Reset No Items"

Not sure what it means.

SRG963
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
The gas pedal doesn't move with CC like on some other cars I've had.

bigtreepu
04-23-2009, 03:20 AM
That's due to the drive-by-wire vs the traditional gas pedal.

~Matt

SRG963
04-23-2009, 04:17 AM

~Matt

I'm pretty sure my 01 and 04 Cadillac DTS's were drive by wire systems as well, and I'm pretty sure the pedal moved with the cruse engaged.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just different :)

PerfectD3
04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
My Nissan Frontier, Honda Civic, & Nissan 240SX all moved the peddle when in cruise mode. All were drive by wire.

shane
04-23-2009, 03:49 PM

~Matt

my 04 sierra which was DBW moved with crusie...

AkshunJebus
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Hold down the button under "source" on the steering wheels controlls, and the DIC says
"Service Reset No Items"

Not sure what it means.

If your car was throwing a service code at the time it would be displayed there. I believe it also allows you to clear them... it's a nice feature, no OBDII Code Reader required. :headbang:

Oh yeah, I thought it was the "road key", not source, I can't remember. :)

Night Train
04-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Radio Mute - If you press the right scroll wheel, it will mute the radio.

-Ray-
04-27-2009, 06:37 AM
I didn't know it would be fazed out after only 2 years.

bobyoung
04-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Mine was on from the dealer, I shut it off myself.

bobyoung
04-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I prefer not to use the rec feature, as I learned from a nephew who worked for the Cadillac division as a service engineer that he would always open the window periodically now and then while driving. When curiosity finally got the best of me to ask him why since he does not smoke, he enlighten me as to the many pollutants that are emitted from within the vehicle on account of the materials and even your own clothing and dead skin which can carry viruses.

I now open my window every five minutes or so to exchange the air inside my vehicle. :windy:

Cheers!

That "new car smell" is actually chemicals given off by all the new plastics in a car, anyone that drives new cars all the time should exhaust them as it is possible to become allergic to the chemicals after a while, definitely not a good thing. I didn't find the G8 to be nearly as bad as other new cars I've been in.

bobyoung
04-27-2009, 07:07 AM
I didn't know it would be fazed out after only 2 years.

Ridiculous, I'm pissed now. I just keep thinking about Oldsmobiles I see on the road, a dead brand, now we have another one. This is exactly the kind of car I like and wanted. I wouldn't want a Corvette, nor even a Camaro. We're going to have to stay together to get some purchase power so all the parts supplies don't dry up. I feel kind of numb right now.

learjet60
04-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Cheers!

That "new car smell" is actually chemicals given off by all the new plastics in a car, anyone that drives new cars all the time should exhaust them as it is possible to become allergic to the chemicals after a while, definitely not a good thing. I didn't find the G8 to be nearly as bad as other new cars I've been in.

No offense guys, but that is being way too paranoid for me! :secret: Do you wear white gloves when opening the doors or touching the steering wheel or shift knob in order to avoid the germs on those oft-touched areas? :wacko: :p

Personally, I'd take my chances with recirc vs. breathing exhaust fumes or someone smoking near me in stop and go traffic. My .02 :)

What I didn't know...owning one of these cars can cause a bystander to do a "I'm not worthy" bow!! True story...occurred on the first day of ownership!! :worthy:

TonyKarter
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
The back seat is big enough to hold the girl I picked up last night and her wheelchair!

d_toll
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
The back seat is big enough to hold the girl I picked up last night and her wheelchair!

:uhm:

J Wikoff
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
If you twist the key in the doot twice or hold it for a couple seconds, it unlocks all the doors.

piecesparts
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM

It is hard to have a "New Car Smell" at 80 MPH and the windows down for the feel of fresh warm sun-baked air. I hate to be closed in, but that is what happens when you drive with A/C on all of the time. I admit the 80 with windows down is a tad bit loud, but not as bad as my 95 Impala SS was, and it is quieter than at 100 MPH with the windows rolled down.

TonyKarter
05-03-2009, 07:12 AM
You cannot remove the key from the ignition! I hope you don't have to find this one out!

-Ray-
05-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I think I found out one today. Your headlight will come on automatically if your windshield wipers are also on. Takes about 30 seconds for the car to register the wipers are on and then my lights came on.

This is a good feature because in some states it's a requirement to have the headlights on when it's raining. Like Calif.

Mlozano
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Well... for some reason you can't run the A/C on AUTO while it's in head/feet mode.

jnak
05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Well... for some reason you can't run the A/C on AUTO while it's in head/feet mode.

When it's in auto mode, the computer decides where to direct the air. As soon as you manually change it to some other mode, like head/feet, it's no longer on auto. It will still change air temperature and fan speed automatically to get to the set temperature though.

MAYBEN
05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
some good stuff in here but nothing new for me yet...

todds87ss
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM

nothin' like East Texas Date Nite!:woohoo:

TonyKarter
05-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Our engine is mounted slightly off center, towards the driver's side.

RobertHammen
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Ridiculous, I'm pissed now. I just keep thinking about Oldsmobiles I see on the road, a dead brand, now we have another one. This is exactly the kind of car I like and wanted. I wouldn't want a Corvette, nor even a Camaro.

Hey, my G8 GT is replacing my '98 Oldsmobile Aurora as my daily driver. I still have my '04 GTO, so just call me the orphan collector. Throw in my sister's Saturn Ion, heck, all I need is a Hummer and a Saab and we've got the Modern GM Orphan Collection, ha.

I agree with you that there's not a single other GM car (that I can afford - sorry, new CTS-V) that I'd want in the G8's place. I made the decision to get the car only AFTER Pontiac's death was officially confirmed... and the test drive sealed the deal.

fcsuper
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
some good stuff in here but nothing new for me yet...

Just for your Mayben,

If you press the enter button and the radio power button at the same time, you can activate the turbobuster and jump over other cars. It's great for getting around traffic in rush hour.

:snowmobile:

MAYBEN
05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Like I said, nothing new to me...
:prostock:

gearhead455
05-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Question: WTF are the 3 hooks across the rear deck lid (package tray) for?

You know, behind the rear seats under the window.

MAYBEN
05-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Child Seat Anchors

PostalCherokee
05-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Question: WTF are the 3 hooks across the rear deck lid (package tray) for?

You know, behind the rear seats under the window.

Safety latch for child seats.

gearhead455
05-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Safety latch for child seats.

My kids are 25 and 23 years old, no wonder I couldn't figure it out. lol

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/DOH.gif

MAYBEN
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
you may be a grandpa soon... lol

gearhead455
05-08-2009, 05:38 PM
you may be a grandpa soon... lol

Watch it!!! :spank:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/gettinold.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/happy0006.gif

MAYBEN
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
lmao

DQGTO
05-08-2009, 07:44 PM
lol

piecesparts
05-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Centerpoints for the Australian 3 point racing harnesses.

MAYBEN
05-09-2009, 06:33 AM
lol

68fbird
05-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Unplugging the XM receiver in the trunk removes the XM pages from the band display on the Blaupunkt stereo. If you don't subscribe to XM, you won't need to push through 2 pages of XM in order to change bands.

Snakey
05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Unplugging the XM receiver in the trunk removes the XM pages from the band display on the Blaupunkt stereo. If you don't subscribe to XM, you won't need to push through 2 pages of XM in order to change bands.

I'm assuming its the box closest to the driver's side correct? Did you unplug both plugs? I couldn't get the one unplugged for the life of me. All this effects is XM correct?

Sorry for all the questions!

R.Penguin
05-09-2009, 03:10 PM
an inverted engine cover makes a fine Penguin feeding trough - in a pinch.
Well crap! I've been using as a cat litter box. :p

R.Penguin
05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
LOL! You know my salesman said he didn't like the leather in this car, that it smell completely different from most leathers. I thought it possibly could be kangaroo leather (it is a real leather, used mostly in uber expensive motorcycle jackets/pants). I did some searching but could never find an answer. It would be hella nice though, kangaroo leather is alot better than cow leather (thicker, more durable, alot stonger).
Kangaroo leather could be used to sheath battle tanks. :p

Top Speed
05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm assuming its the box closest to the driver's side correct? Did you unplug both plugs? I couldn't get the one unplugged for the life of me. All this effects is XM correct?

Sorry for all the questions!

No, that is the OnStar box on the driver's side. The XM box is on the right side.

R.Penguin
05-09-2009, 03:25 PM
It's a message that's displayed on your DIC after a couple hours of continuous driving to remind you to rest (take breaks) :)
Speaking of DICs, I heard a good story yesterday about a very attractive young woman who happened to buy a G8 with the 'roo leather seats. Oddly enough, Holden made a tiny mistake on the drivers side and ended up with an "unusual" area of the kangaroo (a large male) in the middle of the seat. The lovely lady was driving home and suddenly felt "something" under her bum. She pulled over, took a look, and declared "wow, the salesman didn't mention that option, but I just love it." She has not gotten out of the car for 5 days now except to use the bathroom. Sadly her husband came home from a business trip and she didn't tell him about the "option". Imagine his surprise when he got about 9 inches of a 'roo woodie up his butt on the way to 7-11.

Latest news is that she is divorcing her husband and marrying her G8. :p

MAYBEN
05-09-2009, 03:32 PM
nice, that was great!

MrFoggy
05-11-2009, 02:54 AM
Little hook on the inside of the fuel door is to hang the gas cap off of...

MrFoggy
05-11-2009, 02:55 AM
M-4 is good on the highway @ 80 mph or so to pull on demand...

Mlozano
05-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Anyone know how to remove the headrest?

JerzeyGT
05-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Is it me or are the radio and a/c controls backwards.... It seems like the power buttons should be on the driver's side???

jakers204
05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Anyone know how to remove the headrest?

There is a tiny hole which you can use a paper clip at the bottom base of the headrest.

BlueJacket
05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Is it me or are the radio and a/c controls backwards.... It seems like the power buttons should be on the driver's side???

Yes they are backwards for us but not for OZ.

Snakey
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
No, that is the OnStar box on the driver's side. The XM box is on the right side.

Guess it would only make sense that its the box with the XM sticker on it! :wacko:

Bretz56
05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry for being incapable, but how do you get it to tap start? I did not see anything on the menu while scrolling down?? This is during engineering mode correct?

MAYBEN
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I dont believe that is an option, it just does it...

BlueJacket
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry for being incapable, but how do you get it to tap start? I did not see anything on the menu while scrolling down?? This is during engineering mode correct?

Just put the shifter in sports mode and more it up or down and it will then be in manual mode.

Bretz56
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont believe that is an option, it just does it...

Ok, got it, that is sweet,thanks!!!

MAYBEN
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Just put the shifter in sports mode and more it up or down and it will then be in manual mode.

tap start, not shift
:spank:

Bretz56
05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Haha, whoop that arse,lol!!!

kevinm0131
05-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Dual vented rear disc rotors on the GXP!

syP
05-28-2009, 09:43 PM
the rear rotors are larger than the front

Superdave
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Press the left scroll wheel once to reset the mpg, trip, and average speed all at once when first cranked on fuel up. Also, during this short period after starting the engine the left scroll wheel is disabled for radio controls. Once the DIC is not highlighted to reset, it is enabled for radio.

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Well I read through the first eight pages and I'll jump in.

You can turn on the stereo and listen to any source without the key. Key out in any state, simply press the power button and the stereo will run for one hour and you can use any source. This isn't part of RAP. For example you can unlock your car, no key no nothing and then turn on the stereo. I used this feature at the car show last week to have the stereo playing with no key in the ignition. Kind of cool!

MAYBEN
06-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I guess you didnt read through that well, I believe that has been mentioned already lol

Seattle09GT
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I guess you didnt read through that well, I believe that has been mentioned already lol

Nope - I sure don't see where. The power button being on the "wrong" side was listed (its an Oz thing).

gearhead455
06-04-2009, 06:22 PM

You can turn on the stereo and listen to any source without the key. Key out in any state, simply press the power button and the stereo will run for one hour and you can use any source. This isn't part of RAP. For example you can unlock your car, no key no nothing and then turn on the stereo. I used this feature at the car show last week to have the stereo playing with no key in the ignition. Kind of cool!

Very cool thanks!!! I was at the park the other day and had the radio on, but had to close the drivers door because of the chime. :woohoo:

BlueJacket
06-04-2009, 06:27 PM
tap start, not shift
:spank:

I know I am a couple of weeks late to replay but :oops:

LDV60
06-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Gotta drop a few words in here.
<start-rant>
All of the controls have been changed in the transformation from RHD to LHD at the factory.
The indicator stalk is swaped from right side to left side.
The power button on the radio is moved from one side to the other. Our power button is on the right side.
The gear shifter to move into manual mode etc has been swapped too I think.
All the things that really piss us off in Aus when cheap ass manufacturers bring in cars and are to lazy assed to do the conversion properly.
</end-rant>
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/LDV60/centre-console.jpg

JAM
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
With the right-hand drive setup - when manually shifting - do you pull to downshift and push to upshift, or is it reversed?

JAM

fcsuper
06-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I wish it had a automatic cattle-ranch detector on it!:wacko:

You can upgrade your car to have a GPS system that can warn you (if you preprogrammed it with such in) .:)

GXPaycheck
06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Tonight I saw the pen holder in the door of the glove box for the first time. Can't believe I missed it till now.

J Wikoff
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Gotta drop a few words in here.
<start-rant>
All of the controls have been changed in the transformation from RHD to LHD at the factory.
The indicator stalk is swaped from right side to left side.
The power button on the radio is moved from one side to the other. Our power button is on the right side.
The gear shifter to move into manual mode etc has been swapped too I think.
All the things that really piss us off in Aus when cheap ass manufacturers bring in cars and are to lazy assed to do the conversion properly.
</end-rant>

Not all of them. The HVAC power button is still on the right bottom. They should have swapped it with the EXT TEMP button if they were gonna bother with the rest. I think they should have swapped the AUTO and ZONE buttons too.

fcsuper
06-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Tonight I saw the pen holder in the door of the glove box for the first time. Can't believe I missed it till now.

And the paper clip too. I think I mentioned both of these earlier.

the driver
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Just noticed today when transporting my stock wheels from work to home that the stockers are made by Enkei. Didn't know that.

MAYBEN
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
are you referring to the 19s? I have heard that the 18s are, but havent looked at my 19s

GXPaycheck
06-16-2009, 04:44 AM
And the paper clip too. I think I mentioned both of these earlier.

Not the one in the center console. The one in the glove box in the dash. It's well hidden.

fredl11
06-16-2009, 06:56 AM
locked you cannot open the gas lid. Wife discovered that the other day. She got out of car and locked it (to protect purse). Went to pump gas and lid would not open. She called me to ask whats was happening. I accused her of being tech challenged. She thought about a bit and unlocked car pushed on the lid and TADA!! Promptly called me and informed me where I could stick my challenged remark :)

Seattle09GT
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
That if you hold down the compass button on the mirror, a number code will appear after a few seconds. That code is for a compass correction depending on what region of the United States your G8 is in. There are 16 regions total, there is a map in your Owner's Manual that shows the correct code based on where you are driving.

The compass defaults to eight, if you're close to the center of the country no big deal but if you're in the northwest or northeast corners the deviation could result in a significant error.

I'm in "Region 3."

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/images/compass_variance.gif

Mlozano
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
locked you cannot open the gas lid. Wife discovered that the other day. She got out of car and locked it (to protect purse). Went to pump gas and lid would not open. She called me to ask whats was happening. I accused her of being tech challenged. She thought about a bit and unlocked car pushed on the lid and TADA!! Promptly called me and informed me where I could stick my challenged remark :)

Let your wife know to lock it if she gets in a car wash, the pressure will blow the gas lid off if it's not locked.

That if you hold down the compass button on the mirror, a number code will appear after a few seconds. That code is for a compass correction depending on what region of the United States your G8 is in. There are 16 regions total, there is a map in your Owner's Manual that shows the correct code based on where you are driving.

The compass defaults to eight, if you're close to the center of the country no big deal but if you're in the northwest or northeast corners the deviation could result in a significant error.

I'm in "Region 3."

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/images/compass_variance.gif

Nice find!

MAYBEN
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah straight outta the book lol

Seattle09GT
06-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Why do you have a problem with me?

MAYBEN
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I hope you're not referring to me, I do not have a problem with anyone one here. My reply was not meant in any disrespect towards you.

the driver
06-19-2009, 08:19 PM
are you referring to the 19s? I have heard that the 18s are, but havent looked at my 19s

Yeah, the 19s.

Seattle09GT
06-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Well I was having dinner after our meet today with TWELVE, count them, TWELVE G8s and apparently no one knew about this.

If you have Verizon Wireless as your phone company, instead of buying minutes for your OnStar phone, you can instead add a Family Plan phone line to your OnStar system (no this isn't Bluetooth, this would be a totally different phone number) that then shares your Verizon Wireless minutes right off the phone plan. People can dial in direct to your car (no caller ID info - sniff sniff) and you can of course dial out, including using the voice tags for speed dial, but it is all using your family plan minutes.

To do it simply contact Verizon Wireless, they will connect you with the group at Verizon/OnStar that handles this and the rest is history. Takes 3 to 5 business days to do all the setup. I have had this for almost five years now, starting with my 2005 Grand Prix. There is no additional cost if you have a Family Plan in place today beyond the $9.99 for the extra line, plus any area taxes.

jakers204
06-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Well I was having dinner after our meet today with TWELVE, count them, TWELVE G8s and apparently no one knew about this.

If you have Verizon Wireless as your phone company, instead of buying minutes for your OnStar phone, you can instead add a Family Plan phone line to your OnStar system (no this isn't Bluetooth, this would be a totally different phone number) that then shares your Verizon Wireless minutes right off the phone plan. People can dial in direct to your car (no caller ID info - sniff sniff) and you can of course dial out, including using the voice tags for speed dial, but it is all using your family plan minutes.

Pretty good info.

Mlozano
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM

To do it simply contact Verizon Wireless, they will connect you with the group at Verizon/OnStar that handles this and the rest is history. Takes 3 to 5 business days to do all the setup. I have had this for almost five years now, starting with my 2005 Grand Prix. There is no additional cost if you have a Family Plan in place today beyond the $9.99 for the extra line, plus any area taxes.

I thought i read that it's a diffrent plan, a very expensive plan. Maybe it doesn't apply if you have a family plan.

MAYBEN
06-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I thought i read that it's a diffrent plan, a very expensive plan. Maybe it doesn't apply if you have a family plan.

they changed it... I used to work for VZW and the plans were pretty shitty, but now its just a secondary line onto an existing fam share...

bigtreepu
06-21-2009, 06:24 PM
This may sound stupid, but if you have kids, I'm sure it applies. If your kids tug the handles while you are unlocking the door, they will still unlock. Having the outside handle pulled doesn't affect the lock function like it does on most other cars.

~Matt

Mlozano
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I just realized this but if you switch the mode on the HUD to metric, the speedometer starts working on KM/H!

Seattle09GT
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I just realized this but if you switch the mode on the HUD to metric, the speedometer starts working on KM/H!

And if you have climate control, the temp display for inside/outside switches to Celsius.

PMD G8
07-16-2009, 02:51 PM
It has the same Radio/OnStar/XM antenna as the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook

Seattle09GT
07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
If your stereo is off, you don't have to press the power button to turn it on. If you press CD the CD will start to play, press Band and whatever station it was set to will start to play. If you press AUX and an AUX device is connected, the feed will start to go through. The power button really is only needed to turn the stereo off, not on.

TxSkier
07-18-2009, 07:30 AM
The fuel filler door locks when you have your car locked.

Seattle09GT
07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Yup knew that one.

When I had a G8 as a rental back in 2008 I went through the funny experience of trying to close the fuel filler door after filling up. Wouldn't close. Well of course I had the car locked. There was no owner's manual (being a rental) and I got so frustrated I was just going to drive with the filler door partially closed. When I unlocked the car from the remote I heard the solenoid and figured it out.

Seattle09GT
07-18-2009, 10:16 AM

You have a Heads Up Display????

djchubbs
07-18-2009, 02:01 PM
all the info you need is right here

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4932

Slizzo
07-18-2009, 07:50 PM
You have a Heads Up Display????

No, the actual speedo will report speed in KM/H. So if you're going ~62MPH the speedo needle will be at 100. (for KM/H)

igofast
07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
If you are in park, you can only rev to 4000 RPM's. Don't know why.

KEV-O
07-21-2009, 07:02 AM
When you use your automatic start from the FOB, the car will only stay on for 10-15 mins
so for all you people in the colder climate, check it every so often

PerfectD3
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
When you use your automatic start from the FOB, the car will only stay on for 10-15 mins

Owner's manual says 10

MAYBEN
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM

keep in mind, you can only remote start it twice until you get in and turn the key

Seattle09GT
07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Keep in mind you're burning about 3/4 a gallon a hour when you're idling and long term idling is bad for an engine in general. If you're doing the remote start X2 (twenty minutes worth) you're wasting a lot of gas and putting a lot of unneeded wear on the car. Only takes a minute or two for things to cool down, and the AC system is more efficient when you're driving.

Up to you. wasting $1 a day is $365 - that is two nice meals out, an overnight getaway, Superchips Cortex programmer, a Vararam intake, Pedders Stage I suspension goodies, a complete Holden badge makeover including center caps, halfway to a clear bra, the SAS/Whites Audio modified center gauges, axle back mufflers...

KEV-O
07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I never timed it, just started it one day, and had to run back in the house to do a couple things, and when i came back out, she was off
i just guessed it was 10-15 mins

JVH1982
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM

Do I spy a NAV button on the top right? Why didn't we get built-in-NAV?

Nevermind, blurry picture... looked harder and it seems to say 'OFF'.

Monty
07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
If you remote start your car then reach inside to open the hood the engine will shut off.

Seattle09GT
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Do I spy a NAV button on the top right? Why didn't we get built-in-NAV?

Nevermind, blurry picture... looked harder and it seems to say 'OFF'.

You can thank NHTSA regulations on why we don't have DVD Navigation as an option in the G8, that and the fact that General Motors was going bankrupt.

The screen is located too low under NHTSA regulations to show navigation on it. The screen would have to be higher to meet US regulations. That would require a total redesign of the center stack for the targeted volume of 30K a year US/Canadian units, and then only a subset of those would have DVD navigation. Translation, GM was too broke to invest in that (or not have center mounted switches, or move the battery to the right side of the trunk, or some other quirks our cars have).

Anyway - that's why.

Seattle09GT
07-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Well this was some coolness I discovered that you may not know.

If you set your climate control to display the outside temperature instead of your fan, vent, and A/C on/off status, and the climate controls makes an automatic change, say instead of blowing the air through feet/dash to dash only or goes from recirc to fresh air, it will alternate the display for a few seconds between the temperature, and the new status of the climate control. Caught my attention when it was doing this (think it flipped three times back and forth). Now that I've learned that it has done this, I leave it on outside temp all the time. Now if there was a way to have it default to outside temp...

JVH1982
07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Now if there was a way to have it default to outside temp...

I have pondered this myself...

As for the safety regs, it sucks but it does make sense. Its quite a glance out of the way to look to the lower right that far. Some dumb-ass might stare and crash into someone. Hoorah for living in an overly litigious society filled with stupid people that need to be protected from themselves.

End rant...

beach
08-02-2009, 07:06 PM
That there's a hook on the underside of the trunk lid to hold the trunk floor piece up...5 months in and sheesh. I always wondered but just thought I could only hold it up until someone else saw it and wa-la.

MAYBEN
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
That there's a hook on the underside of the trunk lid to hold the trunk floor piece up...5 months in and sheesh. I always wondered but just thought I could only hold it up until someone else saw it and wa-la.
its been written... but its ok...

Seattle09GT
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Here is one I discovered at the drive-in movie theater on Saturday.

Yes, already posted how you can turn your stereo on/off and listen (except XM) even if you don't have the key in. But it gets better. Even if you have the key out, if you press both panel dash buttons (increase/decrease brightness) at the same time, Stealth Mode still engages blacking out the cabin. Or in this case, blacking out the display of the stereo while keep it running. So Stealth Mode will black out the dash even if the car isn't running, even if you don't have the key in.

It was GREAT to watch the drive-in movie from a completely blacked out cabin with no key in keeping the ignition energized sucking even more juice from the battery.

MAYBEN
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I havent been to the drive in in a WHILE, the only one I know if thats still around is back home in RI.. maybe next time we visit my family we can go...

Superdave
08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
There is a second "fill up the gas dumb ass" light that comes on. :) I just pulled into the station when it come on.

TomPierce
08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
There is a second "fill up the gas dumb ass" light that comes on. :) I just pulled into the station when it come on.

Run it much past that and you may burn up a fuel pump. Then it won't start even if you put gas into it.

:)

Night Train
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Run it much past that and you may burn up a fuel pump. Then it won't start even if you put gas into it.

+1. I used to run my car low all the time until I found out that the gas actually helps the pump stay cool. Now, if I can help it (in most cases I can), I don't go less than a 1/4 tank.

Mlozano
08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I finally read the manual and this suprised me: The auto A/C feature actually uses interior/exterior temp sensors, wind speed sensors and that solar sensor to calculate the best a/c temp, fan speed, and directs more air to area where the sun is hitting most. I Look at my a/c in a completely different way now.

Formula2K
09-05-2009, 07:59 AM
With all the discussion about the differences between the pre and post 2009.5 sunroof control, I was curious to see if my pre 2009.5 control did any thing I didn't know.

I found if you turn the knob to the desired position, while the sunroof is in motion, push up on the rotary dial and release. The roof will stop at the nearest opening position. Another push and the roof continues to the position set by the dial.

Also, if you push/release first, then turn the dial to the desired opening, nothing happens. Another push/release and the roof opens or closes.

Cool!

None of this mentioned in the manual.

Panzer Leader
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Not only does it keep the fuel pump cool, it saves your injectors also.

Now what I did not know about my G8, well, all the problems associated with it.

fcsuper
09-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Have you confirmed this? From my understanding, modern fuel pumps don't brake down so easily from this issue any more.

newman27
11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I have two issues - looking for comments on whether or not there is a way to change these behaviors:

- Both of the 12V outlets (dash and in the armrest) are inoperable after the car is shut off and you exit the car (like the radio auto-off feature). I just noticed this yesterday when I wanted to keep my phone charging in the car while I ran into a store. Why?!?

- The backup lights stay on with the rest of the exterior lighting for a period of time when you lock the car at night. I actually had someone stop me about that wondering why the car thought it was in reverse. I have also witnessed people waiting for a spot I was parked in thinking I was still in the car with the car in reverse about to back out. Why?!?

Both of these bahaviors seem really odd...

ashaal
11-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I have two issues - looking for comments on whether or not there is a way to change these behaviors:

- Both of the 12V outlets (dash and in the armrest) are inoperable after the car is shut off and you exit the car (like the radio auto-off feature). I just noticed this yesterday when I wanted to keep my phone charging in the car while I ran into a store. Why?!?

- The backup lights stay on with the rest of the exterior lighting for a period of time when you lock the car at night. I actually had someone stop me about that wondering why the car thought it was in reverse. I have also witnessed people waiting for a spot I was parked in thinking I was still in the car with the car in reverse about to back out. Why?!?

I believe if you go into engineering mode you can setup how the light behave post lock...

TurboSS
11-19-2009, 01:55 PM

the lights come on to lighten up there area around the car so you can see while moving around....also so you can see around your car when walking up to it...incase there is someone hiding around your car.....if the lights that stayed on were red instead of white (backup lights) then it wouldnt brighten up the area as well.

Seattle09GT
11-19-2009, 02:47 PM

This is pretty common on most cars today. Most foreign cars are like this and have been for years. I'm the same way, I would rather have it energized to keep the phone and MP3 player charged.

pokey
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Car mfg's probably did this so people don't accidently drain their batteries with things like coolers.

JVH1982
11-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Car mfg's probably did this so people don't accidently drain their batteries with things like coolers.

I would tend to agree. Most silly restrictions on things are there simply to protect "people" from their own stupidity.

Seattle09GT
11-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I would tend to agree. Most silly restrictions on things are there simply to protect "people" from their own stupidity.

Yup. Air bags because some people feel it is their God given right to eat steering wheel in a car accident. Torque management because some people don't understand that winding up to 5,000 RPM and slamming it from neutral into drive is a good way to go sideways into traffic, if you don't shred your tranny or rear end in the process. TPMS sensors because people are too damn lazy to check tire pressure every now and then, and too dumb to a quick visual inspection, or even be able to visually identify a low tire. Automatic head lights because we can't even draw the connection between, "gee, I can't see because it's dark," and turning on the freakin' lights. I could go on...

JVH1982
11-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Yup. Air bags because some people feel it is their God given right to eat steering wheel in a car accident. Torque management because some people don't understand that winding up to 5,000 RPM and slamming it from neutral into drive is a good way to go sideways into traffic, if you don't shred your tranny or rear end in the process. TPMS sensors because people are too damn lazy to check tire pressure every now and then, and too dumb to a quick visual inspection, or even be able to visually identify a low tire. Automatic head lights because we can't even draw the connection between, "gee, I can't see because it's dark," and turning on the freakin' lights. I could go on...

:uhm:, did I strike a nerve?

Seattle09GT
11-20-2009, 02:53 PM
:uhm:, did I strike a nerve?

I hate nannification and how our government and society (not meant to be political) is heavily in the business of protecting us from ourselves.

For example I'm against seatbelt laws. On the other hand I think only a complete moron would not drive with a seatbelt. What? Going through the windshield at 40 MPH is a good thing? Slamming your chest into the steering wheel, shattering your sternum and lacerating your liver is a fun activity? What idiot would put themselves in that position. With that said, I don't feel big brother should tell me to wear a seatbelt and lets face it, "click it or ticket" campaigns have about as much to do with safety as red light cameras. It's all about the Benjamins.

Ditto on helmet laws. I think you have to be a moron to climb on to a crotch rocket without long sleeve clothing, solid shoes, gloves and a helmet. I was an EMT, we called them donor cycles for a reason. But again, I don't think government should TELL me to wear a helment (just as they don't tell me to wear gloves, leather, and solid shoes).

I love the fact that I have a button in my center console in the G8 that turns off all traction/stability control. I wish more cars had that. I like that I can flick it into sport mode additionally and squeeze out more performance.

Automatic headlights and a display that tells me to check tire pressures is a nice to have. But I don't drive in the dark like a moron, and I historically have always checked my tire pressures from time to time, and still, even with TPMS do a visual walk around every few days. Only takes a few seconds and a low radial tire is easy to spot.

pokey
11-21-2009, 06:13 AM
People who hurt themselves cause they didn't wear a seat belt or helmet is natural selection and should be allowed to happen to keep population regulated! :)
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

JVH1982
11-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Seat-belt and helmet laws are due to insurance companies lobbying for it to be made into legislation. It keeps their payouts lower (due to "reduced" injuries). However, I do feel that we are circumventing Darwin's Natural Selection. End hijack...

On topic, I had no idea that my car's reputation would keep everyone from want to partake in a little "stop-light-gran-prix" action. No one wants to play... :sad:

dblott
11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
I was frustrated like you guys with the 12v outlet until last week at work. I'm an equipment operator and we get bulletins about saftey issues almost daily. Most involve stupidity, but occasionally some draw attention to potential problems. A picture on one changed my mind just a little as to full time power to the power point. A cell phone power cord failed and caught a ford pickup dash on fire. (At least it melted from the power point area all the way over to the instrument cluster). I didn't leave my phone charging over night before, but I stopped leaving the plug in when I'm out working.
Thanks for the tip on turning up the amp. Sounds great!

Seattle09GT
11-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Here is something I bet a lot of people don't know. The wiring harness for the installation of ultra-sonic backup sensors exists in our G8. The GM system is "plug and play," on our cars (but I would recommend having a dealer do it). The harness is located close to the stereo amplifier in the trunk, next to the battery. This is an option on our cars, but dealers are mostly mum about it. The 2009 Pontiac product guide for the G8 does mention it.

Another thing. If you look on the drip rails on the roof of the G8, you'll notice some removable plastic covers. You can simply lift those covers out, exposing a latch system. Those latches are for the addition of roof rails for mounting cargo on the roof. This is also another dealer option that doesn't get much mention.

newman27
11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Here is something I bet a lot of people don't know. The wiring harness for the installation of ultra-sonic backup sensors exists in our G8. The GM system is "plug and play," on our cars (but I would recommend having a dealer do it). The harness is located close to the stereo amplifier in the trunk, next to the battery. This is an option on our cars, but dealers are mostly mum about it. The 2009 Pontiac product guide for the G8 does mention it.

Another thing. If you look on the drip rails on the roof of the G8, you'll notice some removable plastic covers. You can simply lift those covers out, exposing a latch system. Those latches are for the addition of roof rails for mounting cargo on the roof. This is also another dealer option that doesn't get much mention.

I'm with you on the Nanny crap - I figured the 12v thing was to keep the battery from being drained but I still don't like it. Thanks for the tip on the back-up sensors and I was wondering what the heck those plastic covers were doing there on the roof.

As for the back-up lights staying on to illuminate the exterior - that just doesn't make sense to me. I do see now that that is typical on other cars since I've started looking (and even got fooled myself the other day waiting for a car to back out of a spot only to find there was no one in it!). I'm not a fan of that feature at all!

Seattle09GT
11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm with you on the Nanny crap - I figured the 12v thing was to keep the battery from being drained but I still don't like it. Thanks for the tip on the back-up sensors and I was wondering what the heck those plastic covers were doing there on the roof.

As for the back-up lights staying on to illuminate the exterior - that just doesn't make sense to me. I do see now that that is typical on other cars since I've started looking (and even got fooled myself the other day waiting for a car to back out of a spot only to find there was no one in it!). I'm not a fan of that feature at all!

You can disable your egress lighting if you want. This will disable not just the backup lamps but head lamps on exit. The lights will flash on lock/unlock.

It's on page 4-33 of your owner's manual.

igneon
11-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found out how to get into the radio's service menu recently:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26244

Also is it taboo to post a link to the "other" thread like it is on the other thread?

Seattle09GT
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found out how to get into the radio's service menu recently:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26244

Also is it taboo to post a link to the "other" thread like it is on the other thread?

Very cool! Switched my G8 to military time.

Monty
11-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok I played around with this (the volume max is 63).
You don't need the key on to do this.

Holding the power button in:
press and hold 'track right', 'disc right' gives you - Service menu
press and hold 'track left', 'disc right' gives you - Software version
press and hold 'track right', 'disc left' gives you - Road test
press and hold 'track left', 'disc left' gives you - Tuner alignment

Last two don't do anything that I can see accept for Road Test it puts some numbers on the screen until you turn off the radio.

whitehot09
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
you can click the left thumbwheel and switch cd's in the cd changer. During stealth mode, can i turn off the speedometer and just leave the dic on? Would rather look at the digital speed readout at night rather than the conventional speedometer

Seattle09GT
12-04-2009, 02:52 AM
you can click the left thumbwheel and switch cd's in the cd changer. During stealth mode, can i turn off the speedometer and just leave the dic on? Would rather look at the digital speed readout at night rather than the conventional speedometer

Nope -- you have the DIC and speedo.

The more I drive my G8 the less I miss my Grand Prix -- but I do miss the heads up display and Stealth Mode that completely blacked out the cabin, you drove on the HUD only if you panel dimmed the back lighting on things like the door switches. If a critical message came up the DIC would illuminate and the HUD would say, "Check Trip Computer."

THAT - I do miss.

whitehot09
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
that would be totally cool. Too bad ours cannot do that. It sounds like that is exactly what I am wanting. And I know this is old news, but who dropped the ball on the hud?? man that sucks.

Seattle09GT
12-04-2009, 07:55 PM
that would be totally cool. Too bad ours cannot do that. It sounds like that is exactly what I am wanting. And I know this is old news, but who dropped the ball on the hud?? man that sucks.

It's called GM was going broke, so to integrate it for the US market wasn't possible.

gATE
12-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Something I just noticed. In the back seat there are seat belt "guides" (for lack of a better term) that hold the seat belts in a spot that is easy to reach. They have a clip attached to an elastic band. Don't want to use them? They tuck into a little pocket on the side of the seat back.

gATE
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
For example I'm against seatbelt laws. On the other hand I think only a complete moron would not drive with a seatbelt. What? Going through the windshield at 40 MPH is a good thing? Slamming your chest into the steering wheel, shattering your sternum and lacerating your liver is a fun activity? What idiot would put themselves in that position. With that said, I don't feel big brother should tell me to wear a seatbelt and lets face it, "click it or ticket" campaigns have about as much to do with safety as red light cameras. It's all about the Benjamins.

Ditto on helmet laws. I think you have to be a moron to climb on to a crotch rocket without long sleeve clothing, solid shoes, gloves and a helmet. I was an EMT, we called them donor cycles for a reason. But again, I don't think government should TELL me to wear a helment (just as they don't tell me to wear gloves, leather, and solid shoes).

I love the fact that I have a button in my center console in the G8 that turns off all traction/stability control. I wish more cars had that. I like that I can flick it into sport mode additionally and squeeze out more performance.

Automatic headlights and a display that tells me to check tire pressures is a nice to have. But I don't drive in the dark like a moron, and I historically have always checked my tire pressures from time to time, and still, even with TPMS do a visual walk around every few days. Only takes a few seconds and a low radial tire is easy to spot.

Actually seat belt laws protect everyone else, not just you. It has been proven time and time again that a seat-belted driver has a better chance of maintaining control of his vehicle in emergency situations. Which could possibly keep them from coming head on into your lane and killing you (even though you had YOUR seatbelt on)

I say write those idiots tickets...

gATE
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM

And you can't shut the gas lid when the car is locked either.

if2218
12-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Actually seat belt laws protect everyone else, not just you. It has been proven time and time again that a seat-belted driver has a better chance of maintaining control of his vehicle in emergency situations. Which could possibly keep them from coming head on into your lane and killing you (even though you had YOUR seatbelt on)

I say write those idiots tickets...

Seatbelt saved my butt in a rollover at work as well as my co-worker. Just this Christmas Eve on my way to my hometown there was a rollover. Single occupant, an older lady, she lived and the aftermath would have made you ask "How did she survive that?"....yup seatbelt that's how...

superspud
12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Why does the remote start only keep the car running for 10 minutes before it turns itself off and how do you adjust it?

mi04se1
12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
That feature is on all GM products with remote start.

superspud
12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
That bites, before this I had a grand prix with a code alarm/ remote start and was spoiled with once I told it to start it actually stayed running. :O

10 minutes isn't near long enough to get the car warm when it's 10 below.

MAYBEN
12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
start it for another 10 right after... you can remote start twice before having to put the key into the ignition

WickedMom
12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
If you relock it, rehit the remote start button while it is already running in remote start mode, it will continue for a total of 20 minutes. After that you have to put the key in the ignition.

kev
01-24-2010, 11:33 AM
what's this "engineering mode" that people have talked about in the first couple of pages of this thread? how do you get to it and what can you do once you're in it?

and about this "stealth mode," instead of pressing the increase brightness and decrease brightness buttons to get to it, can't you just turn the headlight knob to "O?"

MAYBEN
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
and about this "stealth mode," instead of pressing the increase brightness and decrease brightness buttons to get to it, can't you just turn the headlight knob to "O?"

if you do that, you turn off your headlights..

johnbell2
01-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Dunno if anyone has posted this one yet, but I noticed it a few days back when it was foggy in the morning... if you leave your light switch on "auto" and pull back on the switch in that position (for fog lamps) the car will automatically switch between running and fog lamps depending on light conditions. It was pretty nifty to go through a fog bank, watch the lamp indicator click over from running lights to fog lights, come out of the bank and have it click back to running lights again, go into the next bank, *click* to fog, then back again.

Anyone else notice this? I thought I was imagining it at first but turned around and went back through the same section of road and... *click* fog *click* running lamps* etc. - it appeared to be consistent.

jnak
01-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Dunno if anyone has posted this one yet, but I noticed it a few days back when it was foggy in the morning... if you leave your light switch on "auto" and pull back on the switch in that position (for fog lamps) the car will automatically switch between running and fog lamps depending on light conditions. It was pretty nifty to go through a fog bank, watch the lamp indicator click over from running lights to fog lights, come out of the bank and have it click back to running lights again, go into the next bank, *click* to fog, then back again.

Anyone else notice this? I thought I was imagining it at first but turned around and went back through the same section of road and... *click* fog *click* running lamps* etc. - it appeared to be consistent.

It was probably automatically switching to full headlights, rather than DRLs, which also cause your foglights to come on.

Gordon Freeman
01-25-2010, 05:45 AM

This is cool as when I wash and wax my cars I always want music but don’t want the door chime going all the time.

BTW what is stealth mode? :thumbsup:

Seattle09GT
01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
This is cool as when I wash and wax my cars I always want music but don’t want the door chime going all the time.

BTW what is stealth mode? :thumbsup:

Stealth mode is when you can drive with just the information center and speedometer illuminated, all other gauges and switches are turned off. This is good for driving in rural areas where you want maximum night vision. Press the panel dim/panel bright buttons at the same time to activate (you'll see if you look at the two buttons there is a mention of it on the dash).

One correction on the listening to stereo with no key. You can listen to ANY source EXCEPT XM Radio. XM appears to think the module has been stolen with no key in the ignition.

kev
01-25-2010, 02:43 PM
what's this "engineering mode" that people have mentioned?

MAYBEN
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
One correction on the listening to stereo with no key. You can listen to ANY source EXCEPT XM Radio. XM appears to think the module has been stolen with no key in the ignition.

I am pretty positive my XM works when I turn it on that way

Snakey
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
I noticed this morning that when I shut my car off and sat in there until the lighting turned off that if I hit the brakes the DIC would light up again showing the mileage. I didn't notice brake lights coming on though?

newman27
01-26-2010, 12:03 PM
what's this "engineering mode" that people have mentioned?

Start the car while holding down the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel to get a more detailed set of information from the DIC.

Seattle09GT
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I am pretty positive my XM works when I turn it on that way

If you sit down, no key, no nothing, turn on stereo, turn on XM, XM will work for about a minute and then stop operating. The display shows something like, "theft mode, " or something to that effect. All other sources work (CD, AM, FM, and Aux) but not XM.

MAYBEN
01-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I guess Ill have to try tomorrow if I remember

Gordon Freeman
02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I hope this hasn’t already been posted. I actually tried the key in the door and found that turn it once and it locks / unlocks the driver door. Turn it twice and it locks / unlocks all other doors.

johnbell2
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
It was probably automatically switching to full headlights, rather than DRLs, which also cause your foglights to come on.

That makes sense, I could confirm that behavior just by driving into my garage (dark) then back out again (light).

96Prix
02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Stealth mode is when you can drive with just the information center and speedometer illuminated, all other gauges and switches are turned off. This is good for driving in rural areas where you want maximum night vision.

It's a great function for that, except it makes the blue high beam indicator extremely distracting. You don't notice it so much with all the lights on, but when 90% of the dash/console is dimmed it really stands out. Same thing with the stealth mode on my wife's Comp-G.

It's a great feature for getting a 6 year old to nod off at night.

Seattle09GT
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
It's a great function for that, except it makes the blue high beam indicator extremely distracting. You don't notice it so much with all the lights on, but when 90% of the dash/console is dimmed it really stands out. Same thing with the stealth mode on my wife's Comp-G.

It's a great feature for getting a 6 year old to nod off at night.

Funny you mentioned the Comp-G - the highbeam indicator in the Grand Prix was BLINDING! I had an '05 with the HUD. I would drive in stealth mode on the Grand Prix with the HUD on, and the panel dimmed turned to just one click so only the stereo display was barely lit up. I'd also turn off the DIC. But still, you turned on the high beams and you could read off of that blue light!

Wish the G8 had a HUD.

Adjusted35
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM

You can turn on the stereo by pressing "up" on the left-hand button on the steering wheel. Eliminates the need to lean over and press "on".

jnak
02-18-2010, 06:36 AM
You can turn on the stereo by pressing "up" on the left-hand button on the steering wheel. Eliminates the need to lean over and press "on".

Good to know.:cheers:

Seattle09GT
02-19-2010, 02:21 PM

REALLY good to know - awesome find!

richmond2000
06-04-2010, 10:13 PM
one thing I found was if you open your car from the passenger side and turn the car on to open windows / sunroof and then close the door WITHOUT opening the drivers door the stereo will NOT turn it self back off even if you lock the car with remote

J Wikoff
06-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Discovered this morning that clicking the left thumbwheel when the CD player is on will cycle to the next CD.

Tripower
07-02-2010, 06:37 AM

You can also turn the radio on by pressing the "source" button.

J Wikoff
07-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I think you're talking about the same button.

Got 8?
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
If you change your air filter and forget to plug the MAF sensor back in the car will drive fine but it will disable ESP...

JVH1982
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
If you change your air filter and forget to plug the MAF sensor back in the car will drive fine but it will disable ESP...

And your car runs like shit, too.

Got 8?
11-08-2010, 11:47 PM
And your car runs like shit, too.

Believe it or not mine didn't...but I couldn't figure out why the "ESP off" was in the DIC pulled over after about a mile into a parking lot of the highway and checked everything under the hood and found that I hadn't plugged it back in...LOL!!!

whiterp199
11-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I left my MAF unplugged one day and when I started my car it revved up to about 3300. It sounded great. I wish it would do that every time.

jonnynadeau
11-27-2010, 10:32 PM
G8s have 8 cupholders! one on each door and the 4 in the normal spots (2 front and 2 rear).

BlueJacket
11-27-2010, 10:45 PM
G8s have 8 cupholders! one on each door and the 4 in the normal spots (2 front and 2 rear).

You mean 6? 2 in the door + 2 in the center + 2 in the rear = 6 and that is only for the 2009.5. All others only have 4 (none in the rear)

BATOYGIO
11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
rear doors have the holders too

jonnynadeau
11-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I do mean 8, 1 in each door, 2 in the middle console for the front and 2 for the rear in the 'armrest' pulldown thingy in the middle.

MAYBEN
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
isnt it ten? I have one in each door (4) + 2 near shifter + 2 in middle back seat fold down + 2 in the slide out tray on bottom of middle seat

hartigan85
11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Depends on the year. 2008 and 2009 have 8 (we didn't get the one built into the back seat bottom), 2009.5 and all GXPs i believe have 10.

Seattle09GT
11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
isnt it ten? I have one in each door (4) + 2 near shifter + 2 in middle back seat fold down + 2 in the slide out tray on bottom of middle seat

You have a 2009.5. The 2009.5 biggest changes that can be seen by the average person is the drop down center armrest in the back is different, the two slide out drink holders in the backseat (from the Holden Commodore Sportwagon) and Bluetooth. That gives you 10 drink holders.

MAYBEN
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
I thought so, bluejacket threw me off when he said 8 on the 09.5

Panzer Leader
12-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Look at it this way, 8 cup holders, 4 people in car, thats enough for two 6 packs. Each person holds one can (4) and 8 cup holders = 12 total. Sounds about right.

jonnynadeau
12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Look at it this way, 8 cup holders, 4 people in car, thats enough for two 6 packs. Each person holds one can (4) and 8 cup holders = 12 total. Sounds about right.

Sounds like your going to have to stop for another 12 pack!

thebassman
10-07-2011, 02:12 AM

Aahh. In Australia they are on the drivers side.

JAM
04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat: My original AC Delco battery from Italy has a site glass located about 3 inches to the right of the negative battery terminal. Peel back the lower right black colored section of the "AC Delco" sticker just to the left of the top battery brace.

JAM