PDA

View Full Version : Scraped the lip - OF COURSE

GotMyG8V8
04-18-2009, 04:18 AM
So i knew it was going to happen, and now the front point of my lip is rough. I don't think it took any paint off but if i run my finger on the edge and under, it's ripped up. How should i proceed to smooth it out? Fine sand paper to smooth it out?? should i sand it and then try and get some clear coat or something. Definitely don't know what way to go here, and i know i'm going to have to get my bumper repainted because of how many white marks are there already from the highway, i HATE rocks lol. It seems like the car is a magnet because it's so low. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks

GRRRR8
04-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Leave it alone. It will happen again. I think this is something to address every 18 mos. to 2 years unless it is showing. It cant rust, more paint wont just come off either.

avintegrator
04-18-2009, 04:40 AM
After I did that to my bumper I now back in every space. Takes a minute longer and sometimes I have to circle to find a better option but at least i won't make it worse! And mines pretty bad now but i've got other fish to fry right now...

-Ray-
04-18-2009, 04:56 AM
I just had mine painted and the bottom is scraped already. Ohio needs to learn how to make concrete approaches to driveways.

GotMyG8V8
04-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Leave it alone. It will happen again. I think this is something to address every 18 mos. to 2 years unless it is showing. It cant rust, more paint wont just come off either.

That's a good point, thank you for slapping me back to sanity, it's just eating at me knowing it's there lol.

Went to autozone last night and picked up some meguiars swirl x and scratch x 2.0 to take care of other little annoyances, we'll see how they work today :)

Anyone have any tips for repairing a scratch in my wheel?

pokey
04-18-2009, 06:46 AM
I've used this stuff in the past:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+M0216 (Meguiars FineCut Cleaner)

Works great for minor issues in your clear coat. Use a clean rag and don't 'push' too hard or you could create scratches. If you take your time and not use too much pressure it may make it better. It essentially will "knock down" the high spots. I've also used this very carefully to take off stubborn tar, bugs, sap, glue, etc. etc...

(forgot to mention) I use this by hand. I do not use a auto buffer, I'm not a big fan of those, unless you are removing overspray from a new paint job or an application similar, there is more risk of creating swirls than what it is worth.

Scratch in the wheel, not sure about that one.

Larry GT
07-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Even an old dog can learn pretty fast...Now I park at least 6 inches away from any curb - this after nosing in and hearing, then seeing scratches along the bottom of the front bumper.

Chewy
07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Mines TOAST! Nice thing is it's black and the plastic is black...

Chris

christiancoach
07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
GXP Front End Conversion Time!

beach
07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
GXP Front End Conversion Time!

I barely put 3 scrape lines underneath the edge of my GT nose and dimpled one of the corners on the front "U" shape, to the extent even I didn't notice until I washed it, and within days ^^this was how I appeased myself. Started ordering the parts and, well, there it went. Never had an issue until I dropped it ever so slightly with Pedders, but it's so much better otherwise.

In the meantime for the scrapes underneath I filled them a bit with touch-up paint and covered some of the minor edge rash with this:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4451&page=2

Posts 24 & 27, got the same trim and did the same thing. It actually just looks more finished and from above covers the small damage I did and that was visible.

LastGr8Poncho
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Tried to find that trim on the McMaster Carr website. No luck in getting the site to work. What are the details on this product and exactly where did you find it? Thanks.

jab336
10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Mine was scratch really bad. Almost cut my fingers if i slip them under the lip. Luckly someone backed into me very slowly and her insurance paid for my front bumper to be repainted. The body shop actually filled in the scuffs and scratches under the lip and re-painted the surface. It has been a month since then and no scratches to date yet. With in the next few weekends i am planning on buying some spray on truck bedliner. My plan is to spray the bottom lip with a few coats to protect for future instances. Ill see if it works or if it even makes a difference. Who knows.....worth a shot!

schwartz
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Scraped mine,but you can't see it.Ditto....I back into all spots now.