PDA

View Full Version : Kooks install

SFC
08-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Anyone installed the kooks themselves? I've got a buddy with a shop who will let me use his lift for cheap/free. Just wondering how long/how involved it is to get it installed?

I'm no mechanic, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty and can generally get stuff taken care of myself. Seeing how much space their is in the engine bay, it doesn't seem like it should be too bad. I heard there might be some issues with the oil dipstick tube?

Any input would be appreciated :)

GRRRR8
08-30-2008, 12:03 PM
It should not be more the 4-5 hours with basic tools. Take spark plugs out so you dont break them!

SFC
09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
air tools and a mechanics help? Still the same time?

GRRRR8
09-02-2008, 04:48 AM
If you have help, maybe 3.5-4hrs

SFC
09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Looks like this might end up on the floor of my garage with ramps o.O :(

SFC
09-04-2008, 12:54 PM
only took me 10 minutes to do the axle backs, how hard could the rest be? :D

GRRRR8
09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Since this is what I do for a living and I do all aspects of automotive repair, that is what I always say "I've done such an such how hard can this be"
:repair:

SFC
09-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Since this is what I do for a living and I do all aspects of automotive repair, that is what I always say "I've done such an such how hard can this be"
:repair:

BTW, you dyno yet? If so, what are you putting down? I should have the exact same mods by next spring, just wondering where I'll be.

GTPprix
09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
One of our Mechanics actually said the headers themselves were easier than the shorties we put on Dr. Millers car! The midpipe was a bit more difficult to get setup just right but its there. We should have fresh dyno numbers tomorrow, we also found a HUGE vacuum leak on Pauls car that was there from the factory apparently! I'll post info/pics on that tomorrow to help you guys out hopefully!

G8GT594
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
One of our Mechanics actually said the headers themselves were easier than the shorties we put on Dr. Millers car! The midpipe was a bit more difficult to get setup just right but its there. We should have fresh dyno numbers tomorrow, we also found a HUGE vacuum leak on Pauls car that was there from the factory apparently! I'll post info/pics on that tomorrow to help you guys out hopefully!

O great! Well i will be checking that out when i get there 2marrow morning.

Mike P
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Definitely looking forward to the dyno numbers & more info about the vacuum leak.

SFC
09-06-2008, 12:16 PM
WTF... so I just put the car up on ramps to start taking off the stock exhaust.

The put a fucking weld on the bolts connecting the cat's to the mid-pipe????

I don't have a grinder handy to try to grind that off... regardless, wtf? Is this *normal*?

GeorgeInNePa
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
WTF... so I just put the car up on ramps to start taking off the stock exhaust.

The put a fucking weld on the bolts connecting the cat's to the mid-pipe????

I don't have a grinder handy to try to grind that off... regardless, wtf? Is this *normal*?

I was under the impression that only one side was welded. Either the nut or the bolt, don't remember.

SFC
09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I was under the impression that only one side was welded. Either the nut or the bolt, don't remember.

good call george, I'm just semi-blind and stupid :) The nut on the other side was behind the flange so I couldn't see it. I thought the other side was just threaded. Crisis averted :D

wreckwriter
09-06-2008, 01:58 PM

More info on the leak please!

SFC
09-06-2008, 02:12 PM
if anyone has tips for pulling the o2's on the cats, would be much appreciated. Can't get my socket up there to turn em.

SFC
09-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Anyone happen to know the part number for the o2 sensors in our manifolds? Even better, are they shared with any other vehicles in the GM line-up?

drivers side stripped when I took it out.

SFC
09-07-2008, 11:00 AM
So uhh....

Kooks sent me the wrong extender. Figures... been my luck this weekend.

What they sent:

http://tcsac.smugmug.com/photos/367570428_KJK2k-L.jpg

What it was SUPPOSED to replace:

http://tcsac.smugmug.com/photos/367570527_NGry9-L.jpg

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
So what was the deal on the vacuum leak? If it came from the factory we should all be checking...

GeorgeInNePa
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM

It's past tomorrow.

;)

wreckwriter
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
It's past tomorrow.

;)

It's even tomorrow again now....

G8GTlawride
09-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Sure wish they would talk about the vacuum lead!

G8GTlawride
09-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Leak! Sorry!

EcoBrick Bob
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
LEAK???? LEAK???? This question has been posed so long I gotta take a LEAK!

PULLLEASSEEEEE!!!!! Tell all of us about the LEAK!

RRM

Panther 2
10-04-2008, 02:28 PM
You have to unbolt steering , be sure to mark it for re install it's in the instructions . just remove the bolt on the dipstick,be sure it is seated back in when you reinstall mounting bolt, you do not have to touch the starter The stock pipe will slip out and the header can be coaxed in. I used the Kooks gasket with a good sealant on both sides . Install was done in 5 hrs . myself, I htan grafted the stock muffler flange to my old Magnaflow catback mufflers. the stock muffler will bolt directly to the Kooks system, if you have the full system minus mufflers. their mufflers are noisy!

Panther 2
10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I had the same plug ends,called Kooks they said just remove the pieces that don't fit ( I used an exacto knife ) plugged it in works fine.