PDA

View Full Version : Over rev into second after tranny tune

Eric_GT
04-17-2009, 06:02 AM
So, when driving easy the car over revs (kinda like being in neutral) by about 500 rpm before shifting into second.
I was told that in about 100 miles the car will re-learn itself and everything will smooth out.

Can I bypass this time span by doing the battery disconnect for 2 hours?

wreckwriter
04-17-2009, 06:10 AM
That's called "flare". Who did the tune?

foreosu
04-17-2009, 06:48 AM
My car does this A LOT, especially after a cold start, when shifting from 1-2. And I have a 100% completely stock car. Drives me freakin crazy. Yet, the dealership tells me it is perfectly normal. Hopefully the VMS tune will take care of it.

Eric_GT
04-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Racekrafters did the tune.
I trust the quality of the tune. These guys work on some of the 'big boys' cars.
He is saying that 'flare' will go away with mileage.
However, if not, he will hook it up again.

It really does not concern me. I was just wondering if disconnecting the battery would help.

locrzn#92
04-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Mine doesn't do that with the SC Cortex, its firm and shifts on time everytime. I had that same thing when it was stock. I agree it does freak you out and definetly easy to over rev and hit the limiter when shifting in the manual mode. Hope it straightens out for you.

Eric_GT
04-17-2009, 07:21 AM
This occurs in sport mode, not manual.
My manual shifts hit you like a sledgehammer!!!!!! :D

locrzn#92
04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
I've not had mine do it in the sport mode either. It will probably clear up.

Eric_GT
04-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes, it was explained as the electronic brains needs to tighten the shift points which will happen as the car adapts to the new tranny tune. That is of course in lay-mans terms. lol

GTPprix
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM
I'd put money on you have no Upshift TM ;) BTW The cal isnt going to "adapt" any upshift points just shift times and a few other things.

Eric_GT
04-17-2009, 09:34 AM
All I know is when the shift occurs it is strong. Like throw you back in your seat strong. I only had this done in sport. Normal is still factory.

I just about crapped my pants when i drove it home in the rain. It is like an old big block with a shift kit!!!!! lol

wreckwriter
04-17-2009, 09:36 AM
The trans tune is by far the hardest thing to get perfect.

PaFromFL
04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
So, when driving easy the car over revs (kinda like being in neutral) by about 500 rpm before shifting into second.
Mine seems to do that when accelerating around corners at low speeds. Someone mentioned that shift points are raised when the car senses manuevers.

Eric_GT
04-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, the trans tune took longer than the engine tune...thats for sure.
The car is noticeably faster, and as I stated, shifts hard!
Its just that if I accelerate hard the shifts bang in nice and hard.
When driving leasurely there is a pause between the 1st and 2nd gear in which the car goes into a neutral state yet the engine revs 500 rpm. It then shifts.

As I said, it does not worry me, because I have already been told they can adjust all this. It was raining hard when they did my tune, so they couldn't really take it out on the road like they typically do.

It really is UNREAL though how different this 'mucle car' now is after a tune!

SRG963
04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
My car has done this since day one, and still does it.

Only happens in Drive mode, on the first WOT shift after a cold start, 1st-2nd.

Never happens in Sport or Manumatic.

locrzn#92
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Who knows why some do it and other don't. I think its the gear seperation between 1-2 and 2-3 is a bunch. Our first gear is 4.03 and your going down to a 2.36 second gear. Most trannies are in the 3.40's and much quicker to go from a 3.40 1st to a 2.36 then our ratios. That may be one reason some shifts are softer or at least seem softer from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd. Ratios are much closer 2nd to 3rd. Mine hits much harder 2-3 then 1-2. The computer may be delaying the shifts because of the huge seperation where they don't have to do that from 2-3 where you are going from 2.36 to 1.53. Just my opinion.

scratch1275
04-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Mine does it between 2 and 3, but not 1 and 2. It is worse in auto mode than sport and only does it under light accel - say shifting into 3rd at around 20. Any more throttle and it shifts firm like you would expect. I have been told that the 2-3 shift does this to increase reliability like torque management and that it is not required on the 1-2 because it utilizes a sprag clutch. BTW, I have a Vector TCM tune. I'm very satisfied with all other characteristics especially wot shifts.

G8-4-Speed
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Who knows why some do it and other don't. I think its the gear seperation between 1-2 and 2-3 is a bunch. Our first gear is 4.03 and your going down to a 2.36 second gear. Most trannies are in the 3.40's and much quicker to go from a 3.40 1st to a 2.36 then our ratios. That may be one reason some shifts are softer or at least seem softer from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd. Ratios are much closer 2nd to 3rd. Mine hits much harder 2-3 then 1-2. The computer may be delaying the shifts because of the huge seperation where they don't have to do that from 2-3 where you are going from 2.36 to 1.53. Just my opinion.

There is a DISCRETE SHIFT TORQUE property assigned just to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. It can be turned ON or OFF with a tune. If this is left ON, and the 1-2 and/or 2-3 shift flares at part throttle, this could be one of the problems.....

G8-4-Speed
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Over-rev/flare shifting into any gear is like slipping the clutch into gear. NOT GOOD.....:hang:

Eric_GT
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I forgot to come back in here with this- during my initial tune it was raining hard so they cold not take the car out for a test drive to make fine tune adjustments.
They did so last Friday with a laptop.

The car shifts nice now! It is odd because the shifting changes a bit every time. I really think a lot has to do with whether the tranny is warmed up or not. But anyway, 2-3 is where you really feel the shift kick in. In sport mode the car really tachs out and then the gear chirps the tires quite easily up until 4th.

Downshifthing at 40 mph causes my traction control to come on. I am not sure if this is a big deal or not, but the thing drives a lot harder now than before. Downshifting hard is downright scary! lol

The car at this point is 100% exactly how I have wanted it to be since purchase! :D

wyldman
06-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Hate to drag this up but I wanted to post what I was told in case someone else has this problem. Kirk at Vector told me this is a recall problem and that the dealer will replace an O-ring in the tranny and it will go away. FYI

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
There is a DISCRETE SHIFT TORQUE property assigned just to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. It can be turned ON or OFF with a tune. If this is left ON, and the 1-2 and/or 2-3 shift flares at part throttle, this could be one of the problems.....

What do you know about this property? I'd like to know what it does if you please.