PDA

View Full Version : BMR's installed, no more hoppy

locrzn#92
04-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Thats right, if you are complaining about wheel hop all you have to do is install the BMR control arms and put the hammer down. Put mine on today and it definetly did the job and the difference in the arm is like night and day. I did have to have an alignment again, but, I hadn't had one since I originally put the Eibachs on. The original arms are slotted and these are not, that throws off the camber if I remember correctly. So, if you have added the BMR"S you should have your alignment checked. Very happy for the short time it took to install and remember, don't tighten the bolts down until you have the car sitting on the ground or a drive on rack. It plants the rears much better and doesn't burn the tires as bad and thats ok, 19's aren't cheap.

Mike P
04-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Hey is this the same thing as the BMR trailing arms? Or is this a different mod (the BMR control arms)?

GeorgeInNePa
04-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Same thing Mike.

locrzn#92
04-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Yep, George is correct. Its a great bang for the buck. Mike at NewEra has them in stock and just a few days to get them to you. I hope to try them out tomorrow night at the track. I post results if that happens. I hope this will help my 60ft times, I need to get down to about 2 flat. My best so far is 2.05.

BMR Sales
04-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Glad you guys like them! Wheel hop is annoying as #@#$#@!!!

drglock
04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Have any of you guys tried the BMR Subframe connectors too? Are they easy to install? what kind of improvements do the connectors give? is it more for controling wheelhop as well? Or would you see some cornering benefit from them as well.

I am considering doing both of these upgrades if they are pretty straight forward to install myself.

Also how about the Strut tower brace? Anyone use this and see a decent improvement in handling?

Thanks for any input!

wreckwriter
04-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I have the connectors, trailing arms, and tunnel brace. I feel that they do make a difference but its very hard to quantify things like that.

I installed the connectors and tunnel brace by myself, on ramps, in about an hour as I recall. Someone to help hold things in place would be useful but not required. I had the shop do the trailing arms on a lift. Took them about a half hour.

locrzn#92
04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Most of us with under 400 hp will probably be fine just getting rid of the wheel hop and adding just the trailing arms and they are a nice piece, especially compared to the stock units. If your gonna put a set of slicks on it, you might want to tie it all together. Your ride is definetly gonna be stiffer with the frame connectors as it ties the whole thing together. If your hammering the turns a lot then the strut brace might be the way to go. I'm a straight liner (not drugs) and don't really care how it goes around a road course. I'm happy with my eibachs and thats all I need and its a great combination with the bmr's. My eibachs also got rid of a lot of the wheel hop, but, not all of it. Now its all gone.

Panzer Leader
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
What are your opinions of the BMR sway bars. Understand they are hollow. Claim is that they provide a 50% improvement. Also looking at the STB, as well as all the other BMR chassi improvements. Strongly considering BMR but are their any other companies with suspension parts that should be considered. Appreciate any input especially reviews. Thanks.

Mike P
04-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Same thing Mike.

Thank you Mr. NE PA :)

Wheel Hop is a frakin' bitch! :spank:

Chewy
04-18-2009, 04:20 AM
They have been dragging their ass :spank:on getting us the sway bars...

Still waiting...

deputycrawford
04-20-2009, 03:37 PM
4gasm. You must put the :spank: icon in there when you say that. Hey, I just found a reason to use the :spank: icon in a sentence. LOL...I like using the :spank: icon. I'll have to use it again sometime. I've been waitng for this moment.

BigV8
04-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Can they be installed backing up on some race ramps?

99-LS1-SS
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Mine is still a wheel hopping bitch. I need to get the time to put the differential bushings in. Hopefully that will help.

Mike P
04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Mine is still a wheel hopping bitch. I need to get the time to put the differential bushings in. Hopefully that will help.

Me too, at the drag strip I wheel hop from time to time. I need the Pedder's Street 1 kit.....

-Ray-
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
My Pedders installer put my BMR trailing arms on for me. Hopefully the alignment is good.

locrzn#92
04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
After I installed my eibachs last fall I never really had a problem with wheel, just occasionally. I put the BMR's on just because I plan some additional hp in the future and thought it should help. I haven't had any wheel hope since the install. I'll report back after I go to the track next time. It has never hopped at the strip so I really don't expect it to now.

conipc
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Can they be installed backing up on some race ramps?

You need to be able to move the wheel up and down to line them up, so ramps won't work...

locrzn#92
04-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Best done on alignment rack. You can get the old ones off with the wheels on, but, you can't get the new ones on unless you take the wheels off. Don't tighten the bolts until you have the car back on the ground with the weight on the tires. You may also need an alignment. I had mine checked and the caster was off. The the bolt holes in the original
arms are slotted and the bmr's aren't. Just as a precaution at least have it checked.

G8GXP4now
04-22-2009, 05:39 AM
What else will it take to eliminate wheel hop on manual transmission cars?

Chewy
04-22-2009, 06:12 AM

Get rid of all the rubber bushings in the rear suspension... ALL of them...

I put these arms on and they reduced wheel hop but didn't eliminate it. That I believe is for more than one reason but the main reason is this only adds ONE poly bushing. I bet if I replaced the one on the hub assembly it would be all but gone.

Chris

99-LS1-SS
04-22-2009, 06:22 AM

I'll let you know if I ever get it figured out. The manuals must really "shock" the drivetrain much more than the autos.

used2vtec
04-22-2009, 07:28 AM

You probably wont ever be able to totally eliminate it. Its just how these IRS cars are. However, the best thing to get rid of it is to buy some slicks or a really sticky tire. If you get your car to hook no need to worry about wheel hop.

G8GXP4now
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
The guys at 0-60 magazine say they take the RPMS up to 3000 and then dump the clutch to get their 0-60 times in the GXP. I tried this and it was just a crap load of hop hop hop and squeal squeal squeal.

If wheel hop is eliminated, what is the weakest link in the drivetrain?

used2vtec
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
The guys at 0-60 magazine say they take the RPMS up to 3000 and then dump the clutch to get there 0-60 times. I tried this and it was just a crap load of hop hop hop and squeal squeal squeal.

If wheel hop is eliminated, what is the weakest link in the drivetrain?

I would say the drivetrains on these cars are very stout!! I havent heard of anyone breaking anything in the driveline. You are actually doing more damage to your car by letting it wheel hop instead of putting a DR tire back there. Over on the vette forums people have broken more output shafts and diffs from racing on street tires due to wheel hop.

When I had my 06 GTO I had a few of the Pedders parts installed. I had the Diff insert, X-member bushings, and the Big bore shocks. The wheel hop was still there a little but all of those parts took out alot of the slop in the driveline. A good tire will be your best bet followed by the suspension upgrades.

Chewy
04-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Using pedders bushings and installing metal rods in the holes of the bushings like they recommend would stiffen it up even more!

GeorgeInNePa
04-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll let you know if I ever get it figured out. The manuals must really "shock" the drivetrain much more than the autos.

lol

I was going to make a capt obvious reply, but I figured I'd just say that unless you have an adjustable race clutch and pressure plate or a worn out factory clutch, there will be no slippage in the driveline.