PDA

View Full Version : Rotofab/Vararam & VMS Powerflash Installed

thecowboy
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
This has been beaten to a death probably, but I figured I post up my views. Well, finally got my powerflash cable to go with my Rotofab I've had for a few weeks.

Rotofab: Even though I've had a 02 Z28 and Trailblazer SS in the family for a few years, this is the first CAI I installed. Bought from MarylandSpeed and got it quickly. Installed it outside of my work and got it done in about 40-45 minutes taking it easy. First thing I noticed and loved was the increased noise. Gave a nice throaty sound under throttle, much appreciated since I was getting tired of the quiet. Throttle Response was definitely improved and SOTP feel was that it was quicker. Of course a few days after I installed it, I got on board for the Vararam and purchased that.

VMS Powerflash & Tune: Finally got the powerflash cable in and after getting through a few hiccups I got everything working. Steve and Kirk were great getting back to me after I e-mailed them. After sending my stock files in, I got both a Rotofab and a Vararam version of their tunes less than 18 hours later. I installed the Rotofab tune no problem and both it and the TCM took less than 5 minutes to upload. So far I have only driven about 10-15 miles and the difference is complete night and day. The car squeals into second everytime, a feat I could never do in the Z28 with regularity.

I can't wait for the weekend to get more driving in and install the Vararam and its tune. Also have a Magnaflow Axleback to install too. Then to the track I go. I wanted to wait to do any mods until after I got stock times down, but I couldn't wait... Hopefully I will get to Atco this week and get some times! Hopefully I can beat my best in the Z28 of 13.4

EDIT: Just got back from washing the car. If I can describe the car in one word after the wash it would be dangerous, lol. No traction in first or most of second. And about 10 miles later on a downshift to 3rd I lost traction again. Acceleration is insane, I get to 80 on the backroads before I know it! I am going to get in so much trouble with this car... Now I can't wait for the Vararam.

thecowboy
04-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Bought the Rotofab because I thought the Vararam list would take a while. The list moved quicker than expected and based on everyone elses reviews it seems to be pulling harder at higher speed. So I decided to take a loss and get the Vararam. After I take it to the track and get times for both intakes, I will try to sell the slower one for ~$200 or less.

'02 ws6
04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Sounds like some good comparos are in order. I know some of us fender mount CAI guys are curious to the 1/4 time differences between them and the OTR intakes.

thecowboy
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I'll get times for at least one of them next week, but hopefully I will get times for both of them. If I'm lucky, I may get times tomorrow for the Rotofab, "fingers crossed"

flensr
05-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Did you ever get a comparison done for the two intakes? Results?

jimmytt6
05-24-2009, 05:15 AM
About how long does it take to get the Powerflash setup from VMS?
I am ready to get my tuned..just can't decide whether VMS or Livernois tune.

thanks,

beach
05-24-2009, 10:52 AM
About how long does it take to get the Powerflash setup from VMS?
I am ready to get my tuned..just can't decide whether VMS or Livernois tune.

thanks,

If it's in stock, a few days for typical UPS. Then it's just up to you to read your current files using the cable & software, email them to Vector, and have your new tune files back either the same day (I had mine within an hour sending them at lunchtime during the week) or next day, generally. Then you just have to upload them, which is very fast.

It's a great system. If you're close to some place that's well known for tuning, that's a very nice thing, but if you're not places like Vector, they're proven tunes, and the capability you have between the cables and just a simple email is essentially unbeatable. Livernois certainly is tops, however...just depends on your locale, what you want, etc.

I love being able to just get the files via email, email back if I ever want changes, and have them flashed in via laptop myself in minutes.

2StepsAhead
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Any update to this?

piecesparts
07-19-2009, 02:05 PM
What have you seen from the car, for performance and mileage? I am very interested in the Vararam and VMS tune combination numbers.

thecowboy
07-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow, totally forgot about this post! Sorry for never updating the results, but I haven't been able to get back to the track yet. But I can tell you I've chirped the tires from 2-3 with the Vararam a few times and never had with the Roto. I loved the look of the Roto and the sound, but I think the Vararam is a little quicker in the SOTP feel. I really, really need to get back to the rack sometime soon. Mileage wise I get about 16 MPG averaging 26 MPH in pure city, stop and go traffic which is slightly better than what I got with stock. On the highway I think I get around 22-23 MPG averaging somewhere around 75-85MPH