PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! GM may drop Pontiac, GMC brands

SLVRG8GT
04-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Pllease say its not so! :spank:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090416/AUTO01/904160445/1148/rss25

'02 ws6
04-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Didn't we hear the exact same thing 6mths ago? With the G6 selling almost 10k units/mth it's going to be hard to let Pontiac go, especially with the G8s sales increasing as well.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

DQGTO
04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
IDK how Pontiac does not make it into GM's "core" brands though. They always have been a core brand, prior to Saturn, prior to SAAB and prior to Hummer. They are one of the originals and I really do not see them cutting it. If they do, it will only hurt them in the long run

G8GXP4now
04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Didn't we hear the exact same thing 6mths ago? With the G6 selling almost 10k units/mth it's going to be hard to let Pontiac go, especially with the G8s sales increasing as well.

Those numbers mean nothing to the when you look at the big picture. The other models for Pontiac are not selling. If the government needs GM to cut brands, Pontiac would be the scapegoat.

The G8 could just be a Chevy Lumina like it is in the Middle East.
The G6 is already a Malibu (they are made in the same plant) and the Malibu is quite a bit nicer than the G6

G8GT594
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
So much rumors. Won't believe until it happens, just hope holden sticks around
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

GotMyG8V8
04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
It's going to really hard for me to buy a GM if it doesn't have a Pontiac logo

DQGTO
04-16-2009, 10:15 AM
+1

NYG8GT
04-16-2009, 10:25 AM
They need to either unload GMC and just have Chevy make GM trucks, or stop Chevy from making trucks and just have GMC do it. There is no need to have 2 brands making the same exact vehicle. Hell, theres barely any difference between a Denali and a freaking Escalade. Boot GMC fo sho. Booting Pontiac is just completely stupid.

I vote for GM America to look like this:

Chevy (for the middle class american who just wants a nice car)
Pontiac (for people like everyone on this board)
Buick (for our grandparents)
Cadillac (for our rich grandparents, and those that can afford the CTS-V lol)
Hummer (for the yuppies that buy these things even though they dont need them)

Goodbye Saturn, Saab, and whatever else they have clogging the system.

Executor999
04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
+1 on that!

r33pwrd
04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Man Im tired of these threads.... its all speculation

'02 ws6
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Hummer is probably going to be sold if they already have 3 prospective bidders, I agree wth dumping GMC though, its truly pointless to have the same vehicle with two different name brands.

wreckwriter
04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree wth dumping GMC though, its truly pointless to have the same vehicle with two different name brands.

You might not agree if you just dropped over 30k on a new Acadia for the wife....

Panzer Leader
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
The latest that I heard was that YUGO was buying GM. I don't care what badge the G8 wears. The grill can remain the same denoting the Pontiac Heritage. I don't want them to stop making this car where it is built. Everyone is talking emblems, well make it GM's import car line with the Holden Logo. But don't crap on one of the best cars GM Corp. has made in a reeeaaaallll lllllloooooonnnnnggggg ttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmeeeeee!

Ktlplxm
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Pontiac had always been the core "excitement" line. They like to use it as the test bed for new, aggressive ideas, then tame and tone them down for chevrolet. The Firebirds, Formulas, and TransAms were always way more aggressive looking than the Camaros, Z28, and SS. I do agree the problem is redundancy though. Let Chevrolet keep the nore mundane appearing vehicles (with the exception of the Corvette of course), Caddy have the "i have more dollars than sense" genre, and GMC keep the trucks (traditionally they have cost less and have higher resale values than the Chevy counterparts". Saab, Hummer, and the other can pretty much go though. If they do get rid of Pontiac, then they should make the Holdens available here also. Above all else, fire Lutz (every other car company has)

AusTXGT
04-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I would be suprised if GM came out of this with more than 3 brands. To be honest I hope they don't come out of it with more than that. Part of there problem is they are to big to make timely changes to there vehicles.
Take the cars that sell and rebadge them. Unfortunately the g8gt will probably disappear and the Camaro/Corvette will be the performance options. They will probably make a "performance sedan" but I doubt it will have a V8. Probably more likely a 300+ hp V6. :disgust:

r33pwrd
04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I would be suprised if GM came out of this with more than 3 brands. To be honest I hope they don't come out of it with more than that. Part of there problem is they are to big to make timely changes to there vehicles.
Take the cars that sell and rebadge them. Unfortunately the g8gt will probably disappear and the Camaro/Corvette will be the performance options. They will probably make a "performance sedan" but I doubt it will have a V8. Probably more likely a 300+ hp V6. :disgust:

I think you will always see a V8 caddy sedan...

GM_Fan
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
GM to keep GMC, Pontiac, exec says

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090416/CARNEWS/904169983

A senior General Motors executive today denied reports that President Barack Obama's automotive task force has pressured the automaker to dump GMC and Pontiac.

AusTXGT
04-16-2009, 07:56 PM
I think you will always see a V8 caddy sedan...

That is true. I always forget about cadillac.

R.Penguin
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Yada yada, .......................endlessly.

Panzer Leader
04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, the Harvard School of MBA marches on. Look at it this way, we all now own a collectors car. HHHMMMM, might go buy that 6spd MT GPX G-8 and put it in a climate cotolled warehouses thats thticket and I'll see you all on the Barrett Jackson Auctin in about 20 to 25 years.

aboatguy
04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
It's going to really hard for me to buy a GM if it doesn't have a Pontiac logo

It was hard for me to buy a chevy with a Pontiac logo, but I'd been waiting for the Comodore since the late 90s so I sucked it up and bought the wife a G8GT. If it were imported as a nice Caprice LTZ or Lumina LTZ I'd have one. Until GM wises up I'll be sticking with my 95SS

MIKE

Panzer Leader
04-17-2009, 02:37 PM
If it is built by Holden in Australia, I don't care what logo is on it, even a Kangaro which would be pretty nice in fact.

r33pwrd
04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
If it is built by Holden in Australia, I don't care what logo is on it, even a Kangaro which would be pretty nice in fact.

I agree... I atually feel better once people know its not really a Pontiac :) I hate to say it but most people have a bad perception of pontiac and lets face reality they have had the same front end stying for WAY to many years!

Ktlplxm
04-17-2009, 05:07 PM
MOst companies do keep the same front end styling across their line up though. Look at Nissans, Hondas, Cadillacs, Chevy, BMW, Mercedes etc. Sure the body may be Australian, but everything that makes it go is US Market parts

Panzer Leader
04-17-2009, 06:19 PM
No problem with the GM Drivetrain or even other parts. Most from Australia, the transmission is from France. And the engine is from the United States. (From what I have seen so are some of BMW transmissions are from France.) But the real key, is bringing all of the subcomponents into the overall machine. The build quality is fantastic. The overall car is great quality. I hope that the 2010 V6 comes through. BTW check your driver side door. Open the door and look through the seam created between the door and fender. Notice anything? Or lack of something, minor point I know.

Ktlplxm
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
no no no. they can't be French. It would have given up the first time it was slightly leaned on hard, let alone thrashed.

Panzer Leader
04-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Ktlplxm, yes my 5 speed auto was made in France. Reverse is the best gear BTW.

aboatguy
04-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Ktlplxm, yes my 5 speed auto was made in France.

Sorry dude while the cheese eating surrender monkey transmission is may be found in the V6 powered car; the V8 versions get 6 speeds and the A6 in my wifes G8GT was made in the US of A.

(according to the parts content section of the window sticker
Australian
Mexican
US content)

The 6.0 engine was built in Mexico

aboatguy
04-18-2009, 04:50 AM
no no no. they can't be French. It would have given up the first time it was slightly leaned on hard, let alone thrashed.

Don't sweat it the A6 in built in the good old USA.

christiancoach
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Cut Pontiac and GMC? Keep Buick? Are you kidding?
Cut Buick if anything!

mario1956
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Careful with your words, Panzer, you are a member of the V6 subculture!!!!!
Unfortunately Buick is selling like hotcakes in China so canning Buick probably won't happen.

Slizzo
04-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Careful with your words, Panzer, you are a member of the V6 subculture!!!!!
Unfortunately Buick is selling like hotcakes in China so canning Buick probably won't happen.

Mario, cut it with this shit already. You're starting to anger me (and I'm sure other members) with your posts about G8 Ray and his "dislike" for the G8 Base.

No one here hates the V6. We all find it a perfectly acceptable car, and recommend it to anyone who finds they don't want/need the V8.

It's just that since most of us are hardcore enthusiasts, we chose the V8.

Panzer Leader
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't get me wrong I love the Pushrod V8 with the AFM. BUT, I love the DI V6 better. Do I race? No. I think the G8 "Base" is a great touring sedan. Better after the suspension is "tweaked". Better yet with the DI and 6 speed auto. Better still with a 6 speed MT! Build it and GM will be saved!

Panzer Leader
04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Don't get me wrong I love the Pushrod V8 with the AFM. BUT, I love the DI V6 better. Do I race? No. I think the G8 "Base" is a great touring sedan. Better after the suspension is "tweaked". Better yet with the DI and 6 speed auto. Better still with a 6 speed MT! Build it and GM will be saved!

GM and the U.S. government kill Pontiac. What can I say other than, Thanks Australia! I love the car. But you have to understand that we Americans are really dumbass people. :secret:

PaFromFL
04-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Cut Pontiac and GMC? Keep Buick? Are you kidding?
Cut Buick if anything!
Buick is a dying brand in the USA. Why not combine Cadillac and Buick into a single division called Cadillac in the USA and Buick in China? The few remaining USA Buick buyers would be happy to get a bargain Cadillac. Why get rid of "sporty" Pontiac when it is likely to rebound with the economy? If they want to shed yet another division, get rid of GMC whose profitability depends on mass-market gas-guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks that have no place in our brave new world (particularly if CAFE standards are logically extended to "passenger" trucks).

dllb
04-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Buillac!

PaFromFL
04-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Cadillick

UGotSmkd
04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
No problem with the GM Drivetrain or even other parts. Most from Australia, the transmission is from France. And the engine is from the United States. (From what I have seen so are some of BMW transmissions are from France.) But the real key, is bringing all of the subcomponents into the overall machine. The build quality is fantastic. The overall car is great quality. I hope that the 2010 V6 comes through. BTW check your driver side door. Open the door and look through the seam created between the door and fender. Notice anything? Or lack of something, minor point I know.

Engine is built in good ol' Mexico.