PDA

View Full Version : 10% ethanol in Exxon premium??

AusTXGT
04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Has exxon switched to 10% ethanol in texas? I have used almost exlusively exxon 93 since I had the car tuned. I have never seen the 10%ethanol stickers on the pumps of any station I normally use. I was at my sister's house in Ennis and stopped to fill up before heading back to Austin. The pump said 10% ethanol. I burned through that tank and filled up in austin. no sticker on the pump. Just put gas in on the way to work and the same station now says 10% ethanol. Is this an exxon only switch or is everyone going to make the change to 10%? I did some google searches but did not find any articles or press releases. Has anyone heard anything about this?

LSUtigerME
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I know locally I've been seeing the stickers more and more. I thought it was an area only type thing, based on environmental air surveys. I've seen the stickers on Chevron & Texaco here. Not sure about the Shell or Exxon.

I actually work in an Exxon refinery/plant (chemical plant) and I haven't seen any news releases regarding us switching to an Ethanol blend (as if it was a new development).

AusTXGT
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I know locally I've been seeing the stickers more and more. I thought it was an area only type thing, based on environmental air surveys. I've seen the stickers on Chevron & Texaco here. Not sure about the Shell or Exxon.

That would make sense. The county I was in requires emmisions testing as part of the annual state inspection.

Chewy
04-16-2009, 06:04 AM
We in IOWA (you know the corn state) have had ethanol for years. The only thing I see is a reduction in fuel mileage. I'm sure performance suffers slightly as well. My one bike does NOT like the ethanol. It does something to the carbs that only a tank of Seafoam or Techron will remove. Weird.

I have NEVER had an issue in a car or my other FI bike.

PaFromFL
04-16-2009, 06:28 AM
My one bike does NOT like the ethanol. It does something to the carbs that only a tank of Seafoam or Techron will remove.
Thanks for the tip about Seafoam and Techron. E10 messed up my 2007 Tohatsu boat motor. Note that E10 can dissolve the internal gas tanks of older boats, and also destroys fuel lines in Ryobi weedwackers. I've observed a gas mileage decrease of close to 10% (not the theoretical 3%) for four vehicles using E10. It appears that I can drive the same number miles with ethanol in the tank, or just dumped on the ground.

confused2much
04-16-2009, 06:40 AM
In the midwest, all gas stations have been putting ethanol in for years. I'm pretty sure you can't find a gas station that doesn't have it added.

Chewy
04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Our BP stations still have 87 without the ethanol but the Shells have 2 pumps of 89 with it and one 93 with it. I just filled up with the 93 this AM.

Chewy
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the tip about Seafoam and Techron. E10 messed up my 2007 Tohatsu boat motor. Note that E10 can dissolve the internal gas tanks of older boats, and also destroys fuel lines in Ryobi weedwackers. I've observed a gas mileage decrease of close to 10% (not the theoretical 3%) for four vehicles using E10. It appears that I can drive the same number miles with ethanol in the tank, or just dumped on the ground.

Yeah but my bike says it's cool with 10% ethanol so not sure... I know other owners have the SAME issue.

It'll take a bit but the Seafoam will clean mine out.

confused2much
04-16-2009, 08:17 AM
I miss getting my gas in the Quad Cities (Iowa side), was always .20 cents cheaper than Illinois prices. :hang:

Chewy
04-16-2009, 08:22 AM
I miss getting my gas in the Quad Cities (Iowa side), was always .20 cents cheaper than Illinois prices. :hang:

LOL 1.94 at the Shell for 89 this AM

We pay more in income tax though... They get it somewhere... Trust me...

wreckwriter
04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Every pump here has the stickers. Note that they say "MAY" contain up to 10%......

confused2much
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
I'll have to pay attention when I fill up, but I think ours say that they "contain at least 10% ethanol". Maybe I'm wrong though. I dunno.

Steve
04-16-2009, 08:33 AM
same thing here - every gas station here has a sticker that says
"contains up to 10%"

norm8332
04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
No stickers here.

EcoBrick Bob
04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Every pump here has the stickers. Note that they say "MAY" contain up to 10%......

Unfortunately Tom, last year starting in the spring, all the fuel coming thru FL east coast terminals was ethanol... Now have some non-ethanol for boats, but don't know of any stations with non-ethanol fuel. Been a real boon to boating repair industry!!! Expect some plugged fuel filters when you start driving your Camaro!

Like 4GASEM, us Iowans are used to the "Crapohol - Gasohol"! I have always been convinced it cuts mileage around 10%, at least the way I drive. Octane is as marked, so that isn't an issue, even in our high performance boat.

BUMMER......

Executor999
04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the party y'all. There's ethanol and nuthin' else. :)

AusTXGT
04-16-2009, 03:45 PM
The pump at the station in Ennis said "May contain 10% ethanol". The one in austin said "contains 10% ethanol". It did look like my milage dropped alittle. From the high 19's to the mid 18's. I will have to watch a couple of tanks to be sure. I haven't noticed the car running any different. I used to make 3 or 4 trips a year to kansas city and always had to run 10% while I was there. I never could tell the difference. Hopefully the same holds true for a car that has been performance tuned.