PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Mod - HSV-VT-VZ Badge

EcoBrick Bob
04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Here are pix of my latest mod - Courtesy of Crazy Paul!

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/RobMoser/IMG_5617.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/RobMoser/IMG_5622.jpg

This Holden HSV - VT-VZ Badge, which I also used in all of my wheel centers, is slightly larger than the existing Pontiac "V". By bending the badge slightly to give it a bowed curve, and using a couple pieces of double stick foam tape, it fits snugly over the Pontiac badge. It also has it's own adhesive, which keeps in positioned correctly.

GT G8
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
How difficult is it to change that badge? What's involved?

BTW looks great!

EcoBrick Bob
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Get Badge - separate from the plastic snap in piece that goes in wheels.
This portion has some metal/foil in it for strength. It also has an adhesive back.

Next, place top and bottom of badge between thumb and fingers, and gently squeeze it so that it has a curve/bow in it's shape. Tweak till it fits the indent in air bag cover perfectly.

Next build up the center of the existing Pontiac badge with double stick foam tape. Ultimately the center piece needs to be about 1/2" round or square, and the badge should just touch it when pressed on. I pressed on the badge while holding the cover out, so as not to honk the horn. There is just enough adhesive on the badge edges to hold the badge firmly in position, allowing the center foam tape to secure the badge to the cover. Second one took me about 5 min... the first almost 1/2 hr, because I put too much foam tape in place at first.

Cost per badge is not cheap, but under $30. plus minor shipping chg. For exact $$ contact Crazy Paul.

WhyteSS
04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
That looks great Rob !!!

MichaelG8
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok, so weve got another one of the Pontiac emblems that can be replaced with a Holden one :boxing:. Last one that needs a reasonable solution would be the front Arrow. Putting plugs in the holes is not my cup of tea.:puke:

EcoBrick Bob
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Been there.... tried to do the front..... gave up until it needs a re-paint!

Crazy Paul
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Been there.... tried to do the front..... gave up until it needs a re-paint!

The front Arrowhead is definately the most difficult. I've ordered in a Pontiac G8 front arrowhead and will have another go at coming up with something that covers those 3 huge pin holes in the front of the car.

Good job with the HSV badge Rob...they do make the same size badge with a curve already for the HSV hood. I didn't know you needed a curve or would have suggested this previously. I also thought the diameter 63mm would be too large.

And Penguin has had a win also with the 50mm Holden lion to cover his Airbag arrowhead.

Disclaimer.
[Owners were made aware of the danger this mod introduces in the event of Airbag deployment].

DQGTO
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Penguin walking around with a tattoo of the Lion right in the middle of his forehead would be funny to be honest (of course not in real life of course, since that would mean his airbags went off, therefore it would not be funny in the least)

R.Penguin
04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
The front Arrowhead is definately the most difficult. I've ordered in a Pontiac G8 front arrowhead and will have another go at coming up with something that covers those 3 huge pin holes in the front of the car.

Good job with the HSV badge Rob...they do make the same size badge with a curve already for the HSV hood. I didn't know you needed a curve or would have suggested this previously. I also thought the diameter 63mm would be too large.

And Penguin has had a win also with the 50mm Holden lion to cover his Airbag arrowhead.

Disclaimer.
[Owners were made aware of the danger this mod introduces in the event of Airbag deployment].
I'm still hurting from the '08 airbag crash. If it happens again, I hope I just go down with the ship! :(

R.Penguin
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Here are pix of my latest mod - Courtesy of Crazy Paul!

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/RobMoser/IMG_5617.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/RobMoser/IMG_5622.jpg

This Holden HSV - VT-VZ Badge, which I also used in all of my wheel centers, is slightly larger than the existing Pontiac "V". By bending the badge slightly to give it a bowed curve, and using a couple pieces of double stick foam tape, it fits snugly over the Pontiac badge. It also has it's own adhesive, which keeps in positioned correctly.
Cool! I like that as well as the Holden badges. The HSV badges have the really mean-ass lion. :p

EcoBrick Bob
04-16-2009, 05:56 AM

Disclaimer.

Think I will be less likely to have a "tatoo" on chest or face from this badge cause it's smooth! Pontiac "V" impression would possibly make "ME" obsolete if parts of GM go "bye bye"

Ha Ha...

DQGTO
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
lol

Mlozano
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Everyone's talking about the badge, what about that woodgrain?!! jesus, i want that. Who, Where, and how much?

EcoBrick Bob
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
My personal attendant painstakingly painted it on.....

Actually came from WOW wood products. Ordered thru Wood Dash Experts. It is real wood - Platinum Burl. Thin veneer on 3M foam tape. Quality product. The main kit was just over $200. and the kit for the 4 long panels for doors was another $100. Total was under $320. Goes on fairly quickly and if you're patient... easily. I posted a thread on this last summer on G8 Board - before GRRRR8. Got lots of mixed reactions. I expected as much... at first wasn't sure I would have done it again...but it really grows on you. We are thinking of doing our 09' with a cherry wood, but still doing other mods! If you can't find the thread using "Search", I can probably send you pix via e-mail.

Mlozano
04-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd love to see some pics i'll PM you my email. Starting my search

MichaelG8
04-18-2009, 06:44 PM
On my GT I would do regular Holden Badges. If I had a GXP, I'd do HSV badges. Makes more sense IMO.

HoldenMan21
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Disclaimer. [Owners were made aware of the danger this mod introduces in the event of Airbag deployment].

Nice mod indeed but I would not play with safety ... the airbag deploys with such speed that is it ever does ... you'll be dead with an HSV badge lodged inside your skull ... The proper way would rather purchase an entire airbag assembly with the Holden or HSV logo ... my life is not worth it, would rather pay 500 quids than play with my life but thats me.

-Ray-
07-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Nice mod indeed but I would not play with safety ... the airbag deploys with such speed that is it ever does ... you'll be dead with an HSV badge lodged inside your skull ... The proper way would rather purchase an entire airbag assembly with the Holden or HSV logo ... my life is not worth it, would rather pay 500 quids than play with my life but thats me.

There isnt enough mass for that to happen. Think Myth Busters here.

EcoBrick Bob
07-01-2009, 07:26 AM

Doubt it weighs a 1/4 oz... and it's flat -

Pontiac logo in air bag cover has indents etc. Likely more dangerous to one's face....

ANYWAY... have set aside $$$$ for Charlie to "preach" safety talk at my funeral, should this be the cause of my death....

:nah:

christiancoach
07-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I am no physics major, but since I have a Holden logo stuck over my Pontiac logo I thought I would weigh in on this.
The airbag is attached at the top, and when deployed it flip up. Imagine a door on hinges being blown open, but staying on the hinges. Anything affixed to the front of the door would not fly off in an outward direction. To me nothing would happen till the door reaches the end of its movement and the inertia could cause the emblem to come off.

Note: I have an airbag assembly on its way. I am not happy with the results of my stick on emblem. It looks fine from the drivers seat, but from the side you can tell it isn't stock. I used the chrome lion logo, not the HSV logo like is pictured in this thread.

R.Penguin
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I am no physics major, but since I have a Holden logo stuck over my Pontiac logo I thought I would weigh in on this.
The airbag is attached at the top, and when deployed it flip up. Imagine a door on hinges being blown open, but staying on the hinges. Anything affixed to the front of the door would not fly off in an outward direction. To me nothing would happen till the door reaches the end of its movement and the inertia could cause the emblem to come off.

Note: I have an airbag assembly on its way. I am not happy with the results of my stick on emblem. It looks fine from the drivers seat, but from the side you can tell it isn't stock. I used the chrome lion logo, not the HSV logo like is pictured in this thread.
I agree. Having experienced a close personal encounter with a G8 airbag, I really cannot recall that it hit me or vv. I think I sit far enuf back so the shoulder harness grabbed me first. (Uf da!) Terri got hit though and her hands and face were burned a bit. :(

Reminded me of the time way back when a "freind" lobbed a M80 into the shower stall and turned the lights out and ran. :hang: