PDA

View Full Version : NAV Alternative

Downtown
04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I have seen posts on where to mount a NAV unit, but have never seen the On Star turn by turn directions discussed (maybe I'm too new here). For those that haven't tried it, I think they give you one for free. It worked on me and they get my $10/month.

What I didn't know was that the next turn you make shows up between the tach and the speedo. Not a full map, but a directional arrow and the distance until the next turn. So you have some graphical data and the voice telling you what to do. It is also cool to tell them where you want to go instead of having to enter in the city, state, address.

DewieJr
04-13-2009, 10:54 PM
The turn by turn is cool, but most people like the idea of the LCD screen with NAV. Thats the biggest reason why people don't talk much about Onstar Turn by Turn.

I do have a question for you though, can you mute the voice of the turn by turn and listen to music and just watch your tach/speedo gauge for directions?

kje141
04-14-2009, 04:38 AM
The turn by turn is cool, but most people like the idea of the LCD screen with NAV. Thats the biggest reason why people don't talk much about Onstar Turn by Turn.

I do have a question for you though, can you mute the voice of the turn by turn and listen to music and just watch your tach/speedo gauge for directions?

The Onstar only interrupts your music when you need to be informed that a turn is coming. It was actually really nice they one time I used it. As soon as it is done telling you that you need to make a turn the music pops right back on. But as far as I know you cant mute that voice that pops up.

AttorneyGuy
04-14-2009, 04:44 AM
I hate that Onstar nav takes the place of my digital speedometer. I also don't like that it cuts into my music when I'm listening. Finally, the lack of a map display is unfortunate. It is a second tier nav system at best...

GR8 Vino
04-14-2009, 05:03 AM
I have seen posts on where to mount a NAV unit, but have never seen the On Star turn by turn directions discussed (maybe I'm too new here). For those that haven't tried it, I think they give you one for free. It worked on me and they get my $10/month.

What I didn't know was that the next turn you make shows up between the tach and the speedo. Not a full map, but a directional arrow and the distance until the next turn. So you have some graphical data and the voice telling you what to do. It is also cool to tell them where you want to go instead of having to enter in the city, state, address.

The one thing you also need to remember is that $10/month now will turn into $29/month next year when you have to pay for basic Onstar and the turn by turn service. You spend $120 this year and $348 next year, you are into it $468 in 2 years with nothing to show for it. You can get a top notch unit with Nav, touch screen, Bluetooth, iPod connection and backup camera for under that and won't have to spend any more money for many years, maybe for the life of your car.

TCorzett
04-14-2009, 07:43 AM
I tried the OnStar Nav once on a drive and by the time the operator had figured out where I wanted to go... I had driven around in circles enough to find the road anyhow. Granted I wasn't going to an address (I just wanted to get onto a specific road), so I'm sure that made it more difficult, but it just didn't work that well.

Now, for me, the GPS is a winner. To be honest, I'd have a hard time calling OnStar because I missed a turn (going someplace I didn't need directions to already) and wanted an updated route... this is something that I can figure out (on my own) very quickly with a GPS because of the screen/map. I also really like the GPS screen/map because it gives me a much better idea of what roads are approaching (not just a turn left/right).

-Todd...

gearhead455
04-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Tried it once,then couldn't figure out how to stop the damn thing.When I go on a trip I'll just bring along my Delphi NAV300 unit,they sent me my Zagat survey update today.:)

Paniller
04-19-2009, 07:17 PM
What happens if you miss a turn with on-star? Does it auto-reroute? If so, why do I need to call and talk to someone?

R.Penguin
04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I hate that Onstar nav takes the place of my digital speedometer. I also don't like that it cuts into my music when I'm listening. Finally, the lack of a map display is unfortunate. It is a second tier nav system at best...
"It is a second tier nav system at best..."

You are entitled to an opinion and you expressed it. Now, my turn. For the few of us that have bothered to read the instructions, and don't want the distraction of looking and poking at a Nav screen, OnStar is a beautiful thing. So is the hands free calling, and the crash response was nice when the car was totalled awhile back. Throw in the anti-theft deterrent and in my opinion you get more for your money than with either my Garmin, or Tom Tom. Plus, I don't have to hide anything to avoid getting a window busted out by some drug crazed asshat.

So, instead of a flat one-sided statement per above, I'll say that, as usual, it's a matter of preference....and maybe some common sense. Oh yeah AG, just to the right of the digital speedo is a large dial that offers at-a glance speed. :rofl:

BTW, the Tom Tom is for sale. It's the nicer early 700 Go http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portable-Navigation-Hands-Free-Calling/dp/B0008G1RWG#moreAboutThisProduct with the built-in 2.5GB hard drive. All offers considered. Otherwise, it will make a decent sinker for salmon fishing.

:rofl:

jnak
04-20-2009, 05:22 AM
What happens if you miss a turn with on-star? Does it auto-reroute? If so, why do I need to call and talk to someone?

Yes it does auto reroute.

You need to call to set up your original destination. Press the button, tell them where you want to go, and onstar downloads the directions to your destination.

wreckwriter
04-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Onstar works just fine for me. I use it fairly regularly. Yea, its a bit pricey and a standalone nav is nicer but I already have dashhawk, Sirius radio and radar detector; don't need another mounted gadget.

Rayvan
04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Yes it does auto reroute.

You need to call to set up your original destination. Press the button, tell them where you want to go, and onstar downloads the directions to your destination.

Or send your OnStar routes to your car via www.mapquest.com

jnak
04-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Or send your OnStar routes to your car via www.mapquest.com

I never tried that. I don't think it was available before my trial expired.

AkshunJebus
04-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I tried it once for the free trial... it was a PITA. Yes, the music only cuts out when giving you directions. However, the frequency of the directions when you're less than a mile from the turn was quite annoying. No more frequent than my garmin (which is also annoying) but my garmin doesn't cut my music.

In addition, it routed me to a major highway intersection that was closed due to construction. I exited before the construction, and for the rest of my trip (several miles) the thing kept trying to make me do an illegal u-turn to get back to the route. Finally when I arrived at my destination, it indicated I was there.... thanks.

Then, I had to cancel the route. I pressed the button and said "cancel route" as instructed. The route would not cancel. I contacted Onstar and they said they would cancel it for me. That didn't work either. I tried again, didn't work. Contacted OnStar again. This rep said she couldn't cancel it and told me to say "cancel route <something else I can't remember>", and asked if I wanted to upgrade to the nav package. I said heck no, it's a PITA. But the instructions she gave me did work that time.

The only way I would use it would be if they fixed whatever rerouting glitch I found, allowed me to disable the voice directions, and include it in the OnStar membership cost. Then I would use it. I would keep the garmin in the glovebox though.

steined
04-21-2009, 08:16 AM
I never tried that. I don't think it was available before my trial expired.

MapQuest Doesn't work with 08/09 models. Not sure about 09.5 models.

jimmyban
04-21-2009, 09:36 AM

MapQuest eNav works fine on my 08 purchased 3/15/08. I use it all the time...

AttorneyGuy
04-21-2009, 09:49 AM
"It is a second tier nav system at best..."

You are entitled to an opinion and you expressed it. Now, my turn. For the few of us that have bothered to read the instructions, and don't want the distraction of looking and poking at a Nav screen, OnStar is a beautiful thing. So is the hands free calling, and the crash response was nice when the car was totalled awhile back. Throw in the anti-theft deterrent and in my opinion you get more for your money than with either my Garmin, or Tom Tom. Plus, I don't have to hide anything to avoid getting a window busted out by some drug crazed asshat.

So, instead of a flat one-sided statement per above, I'll say that, as usual, it's a matter of preference....and maybe some common sense. Oh yeah AG, just to the right of the digital speedo is a large dial that offers at-a glance speed. :rofl:

BTW, the Tom Tom is for sale. It's the nicer early 700 Go http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portable-Navigation-Hands-Free-Calling/dp/B0008G1RWG#moreAboutThisProduct with the built-in 2.5GB hard drive. All offers considered. Otherwise, it will make a decent sinker for salmon fishing.

:rofl:

My comments were directed solely at the OnStar navigation system--not to OnStar generally (which includes hands-free calling, crash response, etc.). And when I compare my Garmin nuvi with OnStar's nav system (after having experienced both), I can only conclude that the Garmin blows OnStar away.

I stand by my original statement. OnStar nav is second-tier at best. That is surely a "flat one-sided statement," and it is called for in this instance.

wreckwriter
04-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Yea it does. Works fine on my 08.

Mlozano
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I tried it once for the free trial... it was a PITA. Yes, the music only cuts out when giving you directions. However, the frequency of the directions when you're less than a mile from the turn was quite annoying. No more frequent than my garmin (which is also annoying) but my garmin doesn't cut my music.

In addition, it routed me to a major highway intersection that was closed due to construction. I exited before the construction, and for the rest of my trip (several miles) the thing kept trying to make me do an illegal u-turn to get back to the route. Finally when I arrived at my destination, it indicated I was there.... thanks.

Then, I had to cancel the route. I pressed the button and said "cancel route" as instructed. The route would not cancel. I contacted Onstar and they said they would cancel it for me. That didn't work either. I tried again, didn't work. Contacted OnStar again. This rep said she couldn't cancel it and told me to say "cancel route <something else I can't remember>", and asked if I wanted to upgrade to the nav package. I said heck no, it's a PITA. But the instructions she gave me did work that time.

The only way I would use it would be if they fixed whatever rerouting glitch I found, allowed me to disable the voice directions, and include it in the OnStar membership cost. Then I would use it. I would keep the garmin in the glovebox though.

You probably have hardware issues, as for the amount of directions you get, works great for us with driving ADD.

Onstar's not perfect, but no TomTom can beat talking to a real person, if you use them wisely you'll make out, i use them for all sorts of reasons besides directions, it's funny the questions they'll actually answer, i've had them do simple math when i'm doing to many things at once. I've had them direct me around accidents and construction verbally, you don't always have to just dial in an tell them the direction your going, i just call and say "hey i need to get around this traffic, help me out" and they'll help.

Of course it's relative to the operator, i say 2 out of every 10 times i call i get a retard, i can tell now from the first 10 seconds if i should just hang up and call again for another person.

I've had bad experiences and bad directions once or twice, but it's outweighed by the positive experiences.

bjrbm13
05-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Tried the Onstar on a trip to see my Daughter at school its a 6.5 hour drive. Took me out on one set of directions and back another. Took me off the Interstate onto local roads in the wrong direction. Took me an extra 45 mins to get home with less traffic. Called OnStar numerous time to get back on Route, Was told by one OnStar person "yes it sent you the wrong way let me reroute you". Three times it sent me in circles, called OnStar back got a very rude operator who hung up on me before I finished telling her what happened. When I got home sent an e-mail to OnStar telling them what happened and other than the robo responce never heard back from them. Sent a couple of more e-mails wanting some explainations from them still havent heard from them, its been 2 months. Needless to say bought a new GPS and no 10 dollar a month charges.

Mlozano
05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Yikes...!