PDA

View Full Version : Tune: Shift Points/Warranty

TCorzett
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
I did some searching and I think I found a few answers, but really wanted to flat out ask the questions.

So I've been driving the G8GT for nearly 2 months (2300 miles) and really love it, but I am noticing that the car likes to go into a higher gear than I figure would be needed. It's not like I want to be running on redline or anything, but the G8 (from what I hear) can do a 100mph in 3rd gear... why am I in 5th gear going 45mph? I figure it's for fuel savings, etc... but I don't like the required downshift (and the resulting hesitation) when I want to accelerate out of a corner that I should be in 3rd gear for (even more so when I'm in Sport Mode).

So, the question being... With a tune (91 octane) can I also get the shift points adjusted so that the car doesn't try to jump into a higher gear all the time? Maybe just while I'm in Sport Mode (leaving the normal mode for 'fuel efficiency')?

And my biggest concern (I'm sure everyone is tired of answering this one) will a tune (w/shift point adjustments) cause an issue with the factory warranty? I can not afford to void the warranty, which is the main reason I'm not doing any other engine/suspension mods at this time. I heard that there are 'stealth' tunes... and the option of buying a new 'tuned' ECM and saving the 'stock' one to install when going to factory services.

What are the best options for dealing with the factory warranty in regards to the tune? If you buy a second ECM is there any way for the dealer to know you have changed out the ECM? Will a 'stealth' tune be enough? Am I just being paranoid? Is there any reason not to have an open/honest conversation with the dealer/service about this stuff?

If there are other threads that provide information (I did do some searches and reading), please link them. Thank you all for any information you can provide.

-Todd...

Ktlplxm
04-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I did some searching and I think I found a few answers, but really wanted to flat out ask the questions.

So I've been driving the G8GT for nearly 2 months (2300 miles) and really love it, but I am noticing that the car likes to go into a higher gear than I figure would be needed. It's not like I want to be running on redline or anything, but the G8 (from what I hear) can do a 100mph in 3rd gear... why am I in 5th gear going 45mph? I figure it's for fuel savings, etc... but I don't like the required downshift (and the resulting hesitation) when I want to accelerate out of a corner that I should be in 3rd gear for (even more so when I'm in Sport Mode).

So, the question being... With a tune (91 octane) can I also get the shift points adjusted so that the car doesn't try to jump into a higher gear all the time? Maybe just while I'm in Sport Mode (leaving the normal mode for 'fuel efficiency')?

And my biggest concern (I'm sure everyone is tired of answering this one) will a tune (w/shift point adjustments) cause an issue with the factory warranty? I can not afford to void the warranty, which is the main reason I'm not doing any other engine/suspension mods at this time. I heard that there are 'stealth' tunes... and the option of buying a new 'tuned' ECM and saving the 'stock' one to install when going to factory services.

What are the best options for dealing with the factory warranty in regards to the tune? If you buy a second ECM is there any way for the dealer to know you have changed out the ECM? Will a 'stealth' tune be enough? Am I just being paranoid? Is there any reason not to have an open/honest conversation with the dealer/service about this stuff?

If there are other threads that provide information (I did do some searches and reading), please link them. Thank you all for any information you can provide.

-Todd...

It all depends on how much of a dick your service manager is.

TomPierce
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
One of the main advantages of owning HPTuners is the ability to restore the stock program. Saving and restoring a tune is easy - takes 2-3 minutes to do.

One of the main disadvantages is that it comes without a tune, so you either have to a) learn to tune or b) buy a tune from someone (or do as I did and do both :) )

You put back what the dearer put in as tune. He can't tell that there was ever something else in there, even if he bothered to look.

MichaelG8
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Well the Superchips programmer can also return back to stock. However there is talk about our computers having some sort of flash counter and even a few people claiming the dealer can actually see EVERYTHING thats ever been changed in the computer's history.
I am not sure what is true. nothing seems to be solid evidence. However, i do believe its mostly up to the service manager at that particular dealership. If they are anal enough to want to look that deep into the computer before they do the warranty work, you may have a problem. It would probably depend on the cost of the repair also. (like if you blow your motor and/or transmission, theyre obviously going to do some extensive investigating).
No one has had a problem yet it seems. No hand-held tuner should ever cause damage to a motor/trans. Custom tunes should only be done by professionals (who would probably warranty your powertrain). Superchips also offers a warranty.

Basically, I don't think you'd have to worry about a tune voiding your warranty, especially if youre basically stock anyway.