PDA

View Full Version : vector tune review

Roadrunner 45
04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Mods to car: Magnaflow catback, Homemade CAI.
Purchased : flashxpress ECM/TCM tune

This ranks in the top 3 of any mods that I have done to a late-model.

I have had 2 grand nationals, a '93 lightning, '96 impala ss, '99 camaro z28. I have modded every one of these. Usually, you feel "some" improvement, but because you're so hyped about getting the mod that the actual result is a letdown once it's finally done.

The tune was better than expected. The car is a completely different animal. SOTP is high 12's easy (ran 13.5 stock). As far as the "holy sh@t, that's better than I expected" factor, this ranks up there with when I did N20 on the Camaro, and putting a race TH400 in the camaro. Better even than bigger turbos on the GN's and a blower on the lightning.

Steve@Vectormotorsports
04-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Mods to car: Magnaflow catback, Homemade CAI.
Purchased : flashxpress ECM/TCM tune

This ranks in the top 3 of any mods that I have done to a late-model.

I have had 2 grand nationals, a '93 lightning, '96 impala ss, '99 camaro z28. I have modded every one of these. Usually, you feel "some" improvement, but because you're so hyped about getting the mod that the actual result is a letdown once it's finally done.

The tune was better than expected. The car is a completely different animal. SOTP is high 12's easy (ran 13.5 stock). As far as the "holy sh@t, that's better than I expected" factor, this ranks up there with when I did N20 on the Camaro, and putting a race TH400 in the camaro. Better even than bigger turbos on the GN's and a blower on the lightning.

:rocking: Sweet!

r33pwrd
04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Awesome!

mdogg
04-10-2009, 07:26 AM
nice! can't wait to get an email saying they have the cable in stock....

Chewy
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
I hear ya clucking big chicken! I just updated my tune for the Vararam and it amazed me how much more power it produces at speed. It's noticeable with my butt meter.

It's the trans tune that makes ALL the difference IMO.

Roadrunner 45
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
yep- the car has more HP, but the trans is like night and day. Actually like a performance car now!

dklau33
04-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Just got my Powerflash cable last night and sent my stock files in. Hoping to get my modded files back soon. Reading stuff like this makes me more impatient to experience the new tunes.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Just got my Powerflash cable last night and sent my stock files in. Hoping to get my modded files back soon. Reading stuff like this makes me more impatient to experience the new tunes.

The wait is SO worth it IMO. :)

IcePickFreak
04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Great, can't wait to get my cable! Says it shipped today, but doubt the post office is moving anything. I'm just on the otherside of the lake from vector, so hopefully I should get it early next week.

Haven't had the car a month yet and already put 2250 miles on it (was more than happy to drive for a bit of a road trip:auto:) Roto-fab, HSRK, and magnaflows went on at about 1200miles, I think it's ready for a tune.

r1owner
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow, I have the ECM/TCM tune on a stock car and while it's a little better, I am not noticing as big a difference as you guys seem to be.

To me it shifts a little harder and that's about it. It doesn't seem to react any quicker to downshift or anything like that.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Wow, I have the ECM/TCM tune on a stock car and while it's a little better, I am not noticing as big a difference as you guys seem to be.

To me it shifts a little harder and that's about it. It doesn't seem to react any quicker to downshift or anything like that.

Really? What TQ managment settings did you go with? My 1-2 2-3 shifts are HARDER than shit! 1-2 lights the tires up pretty good!

I will agree it's not super fast on downshifts but it's better. I like the fact that it holds the gear for 10-15 seconds after letting off. That's good for road courses IMO.

Chris

r1owner
04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Not sure, I told Kirk that I would defer to his judgement. So I guess whatever the standard ones are.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I C. I went with 30% on the sport mode and 75% in the auto mode.

I like a smooth yet positive shift most of the time. In auto it will still spin from 1-2 under heavy throttle.

r1owner
04-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I C. I went with 30% on the sport mode and 75% in the auto mode.

I like a smooth yet positive shift most of the time. In auto it will still spin from 1-2 under heavy throttle.

Hmmmm are these the "normal" percentages?

Roadrunner 45
04-11-2009, 06:48 AM
I loaded the 50% (drive), 20% (sport) tune, they also sent a 50/50 tune, but I went for the harder shifts right off the bat.

beach
04-11-2009, 05:18 PM
My GT is all stock as well, other than the VMS 93 tune. As a daily driver that I wanted to sharper performing but also more efficient, VMS set up the tune with their standard 93 octane parameters and then the TCM shifting re-do, with TQM settings then at 50% in normal and 30% in sport mode.

It runs smoother, crisper, shifts better, doesn't have much of any "bogging" as stock could at times, and just feels and runs more efficiently and gets the power out better. Back to back vs. stock, the actual "feel" change was NOT huge immediately, for sure, but I noticed more and more of the improvements the more I drove, such as in my gas mileage, smoother daily operation, etc. And, most of all, the monster it is under hard throttle, a monster that's much sharper and doesn't bog out or hesitate at all, just snaps off shifts and launches hard. All while still being the smooth pussycat in light daily driving, with buttery shifts and the same smooth, refined feeling as always--just better, because there's no bogging, excessively lazy shifting, etc.

I love it, with the smoothness, crisper power, and better mileage on 93 being my top 3 faves. Unless you're jumping on it non stop, the change in feel is subtle but effective which is great.

2QUIK4U
04-16-2009, 06:25 AM
I just installed my tune yesterday and all I can say is WOW! I can feel it definately has more power and the trans tune is amazing. Say goodbye to the lazy factory shifts. It spins the tires on the 1-2 and catches 3rd. Just waiting to install my headers this weekend and my other tune and then its off to the dyno and the track. I cant wait hopefully it will put down around 350rwhp and run high 12's.