04-10-2009, 05:39 AM
The Good:
Everything was there, the unit looks good
Ready to be tuned later today.
Good filter size.
Radiator doesn't really move.
Looks really good installed.

The OK:
Directions--need some improvements here.
1. Spell correct it.
2. My car was a little different than the install pictures, my wiring harness in the front was different and had a ton of push clips. Worked better putting the wires down instead of moving them up in the directions
3. Its a little tricky getting it in the right way, and I had to take it out a couple times to get the MAF oriented so the harness would reach.

The Bad:
The brass fitting just shoved through a hole. I have the 90* and it doesn't sit quite right--the tension from the hose causes it to sit an an angle. I am concerned over time that it will loosen and allow unfiltered air in. I think the straight one cut off and pushed though from inside is a better way. Even better would be to have the hole molded in the silicone.

Its the one part that looks like it could have been thought out better...

Overall:
Kit looks very nice installed.
Install was a bit more complicated that other installs.

I will post up my driving impressions when I get done tuning...

mtolivecracker
04-10-2009, 06:00 AM
I gotta say, I agree with your feelings almost 100%. I had the same issue with a lot more clips holding the wiring harness, and having to stretch that plug till it was almost ripped out, but most of all the little brass thing just feels unsafe and last minute quick cheap fix ( is there a reason why the instruction say 11 oclock, some kind of need for it to be on top. or can i put in 9 oclock? cause that would help)

After driving with it, im TT tuned but not for the intake yet, i love the sound it makes. i dont have any other mods until next week when i get the PMFL axleback. My favorite part is when im cruising in AFM, and push a little harder on the throttle and it takes a breath coming out of AFM. Sounds so sweet.

You can really feel that thing breathe on the highway. Going from 75-120 feels like a split second. The throttle response on the highway is instant, def can feel the change from stock and only a tune. Overall, im glad i waited for this intake because now i am not regretting other purchases.

johnh
04-10-2009, 06:12 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/d6/d6def633-8790-4388-abc9-ac2623a3c7a7_400.jpg

Something like this pushed though and then you can hose clamp the hose tight so it seals better.

kjac081
04-10-2009, 07:18 AM
THEY used to have one that was a straight push thru. With that, you had to position the nipple over the throttle body in a way that you could not get the engine cover back on. If you plan on using the engine cover, the PCV pretty much has to be run in the stock location, thus the 90. I have used both, and the 90 is cleaner and routes everything in the stock location.

kjac081
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
edit-imho, pcv hoses do not need to be hose clamped really tight. the barbed fittings that are sized correctly should be just fine.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 07:50 AM
I have a 2009 and have the same issue as you. I drilled holes in the front support and put the wire below it and held them in place with wire ties. I also re-taped the entire section of wires so that it was COVERED with tape not just held together with it.

I don't think they tested this on the 2009 model.

I did like another member here did and cut one side of the barb off an pushed it through the inside out. Looks better IMO but I think I need to back it up with a washer for added strength.

Chris

GeorgeInNePa
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I have a 2009 and have the same issue as you. I drilled holes in the front support and put the wire below it and held them in place with wire ties. I also re-taped the entire section of wires so that it was COVERED with tape not just held together with it.

I don't think they tested this on the 2009 model.

I did like another member here did and cut one side of the barb off an pushed it through the inside out. Looks better IMO but I think I need to back it up with a washer for added strength.

Chris

:D

I think a washer would be ok, also.

I'm trying to find a better solution.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry George, Couldn't remember who it was...

Mike P
04-10-2009, 11:03 AM
The Good:
Everything was there, the unit looks good
Ready to be tuned later today.
Good filter size.
Radiator doesn't really move.
Looks really good installed.

I will post up my driving impressions when I get done tuning...

John:

We'll get to do an A - B test with this Vararam using your best time from Milan vs. your best time at MGM - Stanton dragstrip.

It would be great to see you hit the high 12's with this...... :)

P.S. - I pre registered today.....

GeorgeInNePa
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry George, Couldn't remember who it was...
A drilled out fender washer with a little bit of a bend to it would work fine for now.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 12:03 PM
A drilled out fender washer with a little bit of a bend to it would work fine for now.

Yeah but drilling a washer is always a fun one... Even with a drill press and vise.

GeorgeInNePa
04-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah but drilling a washer is always a fun one... Even with a drill press and vise.

I just stand them up in a vise and use a hand drill.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I just stand them up in a vise and use a hand drill.

I'll try that I guess... I've tried every other way... lol

johnh
04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Well I move the elbow to the 12 O'clock position. It sits much nicer now. I did seal it a bit with some silicone sealant around the outside of the barb, silicone.

I am able to put my engine cover back on.

Mlozano
04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Any of use guys having trouble getting any of the clips to stay closed? doesn't seem to be a real tight latch, i keep finding mine off.

vert
04-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Any of use guys having trouble getting any of the clips to stay closed? doesn't seem to be a real tight latch, i keep finding mine off.

Yep I noticed the samething. It seems my latch is not tight, it just does not want to sit flush when it is clamped. I plan on adjusting the latch or bending it slightly.

-Ray-
04-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Any of you guys with loose clamps, call Steve at Vararam and he'll take care of the problem.
They have great customer service and warranty.

vararam
04-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Any of you guys with loose clamps, call Steve at Vararam and he'll take care of the problem.
They have great customer service and warranty.Please call me at 866-507-2648 if you are having any issues with your unit. We want you to be 100% satisfied with the performance and fit!!!
Thanks
Steve

johnh
04-11-2009, 04:54 AM
No troubles with the clamps here.

Part of the issue with the barb is the tension from the rubber hose causes it to twist or sit at an angle. The way I have it the barb sits nice and perpendicular to the tubing.

Started Tuning, its nearly complete.

I will say this WOT I see a MAP increase of 2-3 kPA everywhere from 2500 rpms up. Stock I would see 97-95 kPA,max over 4800 rpm was 96 kPA. With the Vararam I see 98-100, with the over 4800 rpm 98 kPA. What all that means in the Vararam is flowing better and increasing the Manifold Absolute Pressure. 2-3 KPA is 0.3 to 0.5 psi increase.

Its also notable that the MAP doesn't fall off as much as RPM increases. Typically it will fall as you pass the cam's peak torque--all things being equal, but to me is shows the stock intake is pretty restrictive up top.

Everyday driving sees a better throttle response.

Only thing I've seen is the MAF does heat up standing (no more than stock), and relocating the air temp sensor is probably a good idea.

Next week I hope to get some track times.

Mike P
04-11-2009, 05:13 AM
No troubles with the clamps here.

Part of the issue with the barb is the tension from the rubber hose causes it to twist or sit at an angle. The way I have it the barb sits nice and perpendicular to the tubing.

Started Tuning, its nearly complete.

I will say this WOT I see a MAP increase of 2-3 kPA everywhere from 2500 rpms up. Stock I would see 97-95 kPA,max over 4800 rpm was 96 kPA. With the Vararam I see 98-100, with the over 4800 rpm 98 kPA. What all that means in the Vararam is flowing better and increasing the Manifold Absolute Pressure. 2-3 KPA is 0.3 to 0.5 psi increase.

Its also notable that the MAP doesn't fall off as much as RPM increases. Typically it will fall as you pass the cam's peak torque--all things being equal, but to me is shows the stock intake is pretty restrictive up top.

Everyday driving sees a better throttle response.

Only thing I've seen is the MAF does heat up standing (no more than stock), and relocating the air temp sensor is probably a good idea.

Next week I hope to get some track times.

John:

Hopefully you can dip into the 12's with your Vararam & "JohnH Re-Tune"!!! :)

Maybe I should bring my video & digital camera.......

vert
04-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Please call me at 866-507-2648 if you are having any issues with your unit. We want you to be 100% satisfied with the performance and fit!!!
Thanks
Steve

Steve,
I am satisfied, but to make things easier for me and you I will take care of the issue on my own. It seems it won't take much to get it clamp down securely. So everyone else knows, I would buy one all over again.
Thanks for giving this board the group buy.

johnh
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
12s would be nice, but 12s always seem to be hard to get to for me...

johnh
04-19-2009, 06:34 AM
I see really high IATs with the Vararam. Now I don't have a HSRK (which I think is mandatory to get the most out of this intake and I will be getting one soon). Anyone tried insulating the bottom of the MAF? It cools down very quickly while driving, but idling or moving slowly really heat soak the MAF.

GRRRR8
04-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Tried it with the Roto and it made very little difference. With the HSRK on the Vararam at 55mph outside temp 68 IAT 64-66. MAF heatsoak is an issue with these cars. It doesnt matter what air kit you have.

johnh
04-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Got the IAT relocated (from Jetttstream)...keeps the temps withing 5* or so of ambient when moving, and temps drop much faster than stock.

I did insulate the bottom of the MAF when I was stock BTW, it did help keeping average temps 6-8* lower than without the insulation.

GR8 Vino
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Well I finally installed the Vararam and finished up the last of my tinkering and adjusting of hoses and connections. I already had the V8 radiator cover so I still need to cover the radiator cap hole. But overall the Vararam install was pretty simple and clean thanks to all of the detailed help on this forum. I also finished modding my engine cover to help with some cooling until I get my Commodore side covers from Crazy Paul. Some guys like the look of a clean engine with all of the components showing and some like to see the basics but nice and tidy. I prefer the latter. I removed all of the insulation from the underside of the engine cover and put in the screen vents in the center to help with heat escape. I really liked the engine cover mod from one of the other threads but decided to go with a clean, sleeker look than the rivets. If I hadn't seen the other thread I would've never attempted it. It turned out pretty clean and is 100% better than just the full cover as far as heat retention. Next up, waiting for flash cable for retune from VMS and I am also going to install some Raammat in the truck, engine compartment and doors to take little of the edge off of exhaust and exterior noise. Lastly will be the Circle D converter, I think that will be my last major mod. No super charger or TT here. I use this car for business and it is pretty fast and furious now. My clients love the power but sleek composure. Not a lot of these cars in my area so I am in very select company already.

GRRRR8
04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Nice work!

g8_ogre_gt
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Tried it with the Roto and it made very little difference. With the HSRK on the Vararam at 55mph outside temp 68 IAT 64-66. MAF heatsoak is an issue with these cars. It doesnt matter what air kit you have.

I installed my Vararam last week, and have driven about 160 miles since. I DID the disconnect on the battery, and I know it is 'learning'.

I have a question about the mileage. I have seen about a 2 mpg drop in my efficiency, with driving it pretty much just like I was before the Vararam.
I don't have the HSRK yet... would that be causing my drop in MPG?

Yes, I know that my right foot would be the biggest change, but I can honestly say that my driving is the same as it was before the intake. lol

Chewy
04-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I want to add that I had some issues with the my VR sealing and I got in touch with Steve and he sent me out a new base with a new seal and it seems to have solved the issue.

GREAT customer support is key and it looks like they have it here.

Chris