PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Comparison

Torqued
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Can anyone briefly list the advantages/disadvantages of the different types of superchargers? Seems like there are a bunch of choices, but I dont know how they stack up against each other in terms of reliablity, power, asthetics, etc... Anyone seen a FAQ on a Ford site or other that may already have this info?

Vortex
Procharger
Magnacharger
Kenne Bell
Harrop (TVS?)

'02 ws6
04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Maybe Wreck and BlownG8 can chime in. They are both supercharged but Blown is Maggie'd, while Tom is Procharged.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

TomPierce
04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Google is your friend

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=25

Torqued
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Cool. Thanks.

BlownG8GT
04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Can anyone briefly list the advantages/disadvantages of the different types of superchargers? Seems like there are a bunch of choices, but I dont know how they stack up against each other in terms of reliablity, power, asthetics, etc... Anyone seen a FAQ on a Ford site or other that may already have this info?

Vortech
Procharger
Magnacharger
Kenne Bell
Harrop (TVS?)

Vortech
Centrifugal supercharger, just like a turbo it requires impeller tip speed to make pressure in the engine. Lots of lag without a torque converter.
Procharger
Same as above, but the better of the two IMHO.
Magna Charger
The BEST, (I am biased). This is also a TVS 4 lobe supercharger, these are not your ROOTS superchargers of the past. The TVS is supercharger technology personified, these superchargers although a smaller displacement "think" they are bigger. Efficiency is in the range of some turbos and surpasses like sized screws. The Magna Charger also has an internal bypass, your engine will only see a 1/3 of 1 HP load at highway speeds. This also keeps the supercharger cool.
Kenne Bell
SCREW, although this is a positive displacement supercharger it is a TRUE compressor. The screw is ALWYAS compressing the air with no way to bypass or "unload" the blower. Your engine will always see a load with this blower.
Harrop (TVS?)
Australian TVS, if I were going to buy one I would rather deal with a company in the US if I had warranty issues.

DO NOT believe everything you read on Google, do your own research, call people and ask for their help.