PDA

View Full Version : Pedders Xa set at 600mm front and 610mm rear

dms
04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I just finished a Xa Street System on a G8 at Abel Chevrolet Pontiac Buick in Suisun, Ca. Its a new G8, the same color as Petes, with 19s. The owner wanted a slight old school rake and the fronts to have the fenders nearly equal to the tires. This is exactly what we did.

Originally the heights were at 652-655 front, and 650-653 rears. After installing the Xas, we set the fronts to 600mm and the rears to 610mm. The front dampers at 16clicks and the rears at 12 clicks. This is a moderately aggressive setup.

Here are the before and after pictures:

BEFORE AT 652-655 FRONT AND 650-653 REAR
http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/749dd79fee4488.jpg

After WITH XA'S AT 600 FRONT AND 610 REAR

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/749dd7a00761d5.jpg

Now we have done a very serious amount of testing, and corner balancing of Pete's G8

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/849be773e69134.jpg

Now Pete's G8 s corner balanced. Production vehicles with limited option lists are very consistent in weight distribution. Using the locking collar measurements as presets for your Xa coilover installation will get you close to a corner weighted vehicle. While the car would not be coner weighted, you starting point for corner weighting will be pretty darn close.

RF 33mm / FR 610mm
LF 29.7mm / FL 610mm
RR 30.5mm / RR 595
LR 38mm / LR 593

Now Pete and have have different goals in mind. Pete;s G8 is all about performance and it does exactly what what he wants. Me personally I do no like the back end look. but to get the G8 balanced correctly, it needs to be 15mm lower in the rear. ( GTOs and LXs are the same). But as long as the customer is not racing, I like the old school slight rake, and the stance of the G8 at 600 front and 610 rear.

Your thoughts.

mike
dms

MtbDoc
04-09-2009, 04:36 AM
Good stuff, Mike. I haven't gotten around to installing the shocks, bushings, and sway bars yet (my free weekend went to installing the maggie). The beauty of these shocks is that they are very adjustable.

QUESTION: on "full soft" how do the shocks compare to stock? I am specifically thinking long interstate trips and the like...optimal ride quality (as opposed to corner-carving). Also, how hard is it to get to the damping adjusters when installed?

gpblackgt
04-09-2009, 07:12 AM
:woohoo:

Thank you for making me even more excited about having this kit put in. I love the ride height on the first one pictured above. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of the month.

Quick question for you: I have 20 in. Breytons, 8.5" wide, 245/35ZR-20 tires, 35mm offset, all the way around. I've seen pictures of G8s with the same wheels using the 2954 and 2955 springs, and it's the kind of look I want to emulate with the Xa's. What are the ride heights of those springs? I love the stance of the 600mm front and 610mm rear, but I'm wondering about having to roll the fenders. I'd prefer not to, but having it professionally done isn't too expensive, and, if necessary, I'll do it.

dms
04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Good stuff, Mike. I haven't gotten around to installing the shocks, bushings, and sway bars yet (my free weekend went to installing the maggie). The beauty of these shocks is that they are very adjustable.

QUESTION: on "full soft" how do the shocks compare to stock? I am specifically thinking long interstate trips and the like...optimal ride quality (as opposed to corner-carving). Also, how hard is it to get to the damping adjusters when installed?

At 2-5 clicks, you are looking basically OE settings. 12-14, at GSR settings. 21-24 you are at road race settings. 30 you are popping hemroids.

mike
dms

RJ'sMgnchrgedG8
04-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I am in NEED to do this already!
Mike,
KEEP ME POSTED!!!!

RJ

Big Daddy G8
04-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Help a fella out here.

I installed the rear XA's and subframe bushings on Sunday, and they make a huge difference!

My question is wether the measurement from the rim to fender liner (I assume that is what is meant by "protector") would be different for different sized wheels? the 600mm front and 595mm rear measurements appear to be for 19"s, but I am running stock 18's with Dunplop Direzza Z1's (which kick ass by the way) I set the distance between locking nuts to 30mm, but it seems to be sitting very low in the rear now.

I ran out of time sunday, and have yet to install the fronts. Any concerns driving like this for the week?

Thanks for the help!

dms
04-29-2009, 06:53 AM
We measure from the lower wheel lip, thru center, to the opening of the fender.

the measurement changes 13mm per inch of wheel diameter.

thanks
mike
dms