PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and Luggage Rack runners detailing

kje141
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM
So it is easy to clean the outside of the wheels, but does anyone else disgusted by how dirty the inside/back of the wheels get? I attempted to clean them while on the car, which was successful at the cost of some skin on my knuckles. But what I am wondering is what we can do to help repel the dirty from sticking to the back so much. On one part I cleaned and waxed it, but the area is not finished like the front of the wheels so I imagine it wont do much to repel the dirt. Do we need to take off the wheels and clear coat the back and wax in an attempt to keep the dirt from holding on? Do any of you guys do anything? Or I am the only anal one that this bothers.

Also, the trim that is on the roof of the car that runs the entire length on both sides for the roof racks. Not only is this a concern of mine to hold water and rust (push on this after it has rained and had a chance to dry, water will squeeze out), but it looks pretty bad and the black plastic holds the water spots like crazy. Armoral just made shiny water spots on the trim. Anyone doing anything fancy with this to make it look better? Would be nice if it could be painted to match the car, but I'm sure not worth the money to do so.

-Ray-
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Adams sells a tool that allows you to reach inside the wheel to clean.

kje141
04-08-2009, 05:10 PM
The act of cleaning isnt exactly what I was attempting to solve. Keeping them clean on the other is what is interesting me. Thank you for the cleaning tool however.

-Ray-
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Just trying to save your knuckles.

jnak
04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Take the wheel off, scrub the crap out of the inside and put wax on it. The wax will help a lot, although you will probably have to wax it a few times a year.

Night Owl
04-18-2009, 01:34 AM
I have a Daytona Speed Master Wheel brush that works wonders to clean the backside of the wheels while they are still mounted to the car. I use it to wash the wheels every time I wash the car so it won't build up. While I have not tried it myself, I agree that waxing will probably be the way to go. There are a lot of waxes/sealants specially designed for wheels.