PDA

View Full Version : Magnacharger 3.2 Pulley+stock exhaust

norm8332
04-08-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm posting this as an FYI for current 1900 owners or people considering it.

I installed a 3.2" pulley as part of my step by step pulley reduction plan and I can definitely feel a improvement.

I ran some scans with HPT and knock retard has not increased.

The setup now is:

TVS MP1900 3.2 inch pulley
60 pound injectors
Roto-Fab CAI

STOCK Exhaust.

The boost level is hitting 7.5 PSI at 6200 RPMs
The fuel pressure is good but drops a few psi on the high end. I think is ok, but I will be installing a KB boost-a-pump this weekend anyways.

Based on these results I think 3.2 is the smallest I would try with the above setup. The exhaust will have to be opened up and a boost-a-pump (or magnavolt) will definitely be required to go with a 3.1 or smaller.

I will be getting the car on a dyno and post the new numbers soon.:)

BoostedToy
04-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Good luck Norm! I was considering this as well.

wreckwriter
04-08-2009, 07:20 AM
With that boost level you should be fine on fuel pressure with a BAP or MagnaVolt. Drop should be minimal if anything.

MtbDoc
04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Keep up the good work...now, about those trips to the dyno after every change...

zosoboogie
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I have a 3.0 pulley

norm8332
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a 3.0 pulley

Thats nice, I wanted to see what the in-between pulleys give with stock exhaust etc. I can see your mods have a Kooks long tubes etc.. I have 3.3, 3.2, 3.1 and a 3.0.

3.3 - fully stock. 430whp

3.2 - larger injectors. 460whp(?)

3.1 - axlebacks(?) Catback(?), larger injectors, Boost-a-pump 480whp(?)

3.0 - LTs, larger injectors, boost-a-pump 500whp

I'm filling in the question marks.

Slizzo
04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Thats nice, I wanted to see what the in-between pulleys give with stock exhaust etc. I can see your mods have a Kooks long tubes etc.. I have 3.3, 3.2, 3.1 and a 3.0.

3.3 - fully stock. 430whp

3.2 - larger injectors. 460whp(?)

3.1 - axlebacks(?) Catback(?), larger injectors, Boost-a-pump 480whp(?)

3.0 - LTs, larger injectors, boost-a-pump 500whp

I'm filling in the question marks.

Norm, that's great! Be nice to have a set of numbers on a controlled environment to see what gains can be returned with each smaller size of pulley!

norm8332
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Norm, that's great! Be nice to have a set of numbers on a controlled environment to see what gains can be returned with each smaller size of pulley!

Well.. It's not going to be super controlled..but it will work to give people an idea.

RJ'sMgnchrgedG8
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Subscribed!

I was hoping you would do this. Thank you!

RJ

MtbDoc
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm going to try a 3.1 + headers/X-pipe + fuel. With a good tune, I would think it would be 480+

Seems that too much pulley may not benefit these cars UNLESS we've got good fuel supplies.

Zoso: What sort of boost is being seen w/ a 3.0 pulley?

Slizzo
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Well.. It's not going to be super controlled..but it will work to give people an idea.

Well, by controlled I more meant that these mods will all be done to the same vehicle, thus you can't factor in different vehicles as a margin of error. :)

zosoboogie
04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm going to try a 3.1 + headers/X-pipe + fuel. With a good tune, I would think it would be 480+

Seems that too much pulley may not benefit these cars UNLESS we've got good fuel supplies.

Zoso: What sort of boost is being seen w/ a 3.0 pulley?

between 7-8 not sure but I am sure my tuner can answer that!!

zosoboogie
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
And what is the smallest pulley they make??

norm8332
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM

I know you can get 2.9 and smaller, but you would start getting belt slippage problems and the fuel system gets maxed eventually. Plus according to the engine guys (Haddad, livernois) the stock engine and tranny cant take it for long.

I have been told with your setup you should be around 9 psi.

zosoboogie
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
correction ....8-9psi.

Andy@Livernois
04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
there are always larger diameter balancers as well guys ;)

Dan@Livernois
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm posting this as an FYI for current 1900 owners or people considering it.

I installed a 3.2" pulley as part of my step by step pulley reduction plan and I can definitely feel a improvement.

I ran some scans with HPT and knock retard has not increased.

The setup now is:

TVS MP1900 3.2 inch pulley
60 pound injectors
Roto-Fab CAI

STOCK Exhaust.

The boost level is hitting 7.5 PSI at 6200 RPMs
The fuel pressure is good but drops a few psi on the high end. I think is ok, but I will be installing a KB boost-a-pump this weekend anyways.

Based on these results I think 3.2 is the smallest I would try with the above setup. The exhaust will have to be opened up and a boost-a-pump (or magnavolt) will definitely be required to go with a 3.1 or smaller.

I will be getting the car on a dyno and post the new numbers soon.:)

Norm, how is it going?

I saw in your post you are getting 7.5 Psi @6200? I checked our dyno graph and we saw 8psi @6200 with the 3.3 Pulley?

Keep me updated it may be a difference in gauges or it might be some belt slip? The 1900 comes on strong at the higher RPMs so I would expect it would be a bit higher

Thanks

Dan

norm8332
04-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Norm, how is it going?

I saw in your post you are getting 7.5 Psi @6200? I checked our dyno graph and we saw 8psi @6200 with the 3.3 Pulley?

Keep me updated it may be a difference in guages or it might be some belt slip? The 1900 comes on strong at the higher RPMs so I would expect it would be a bit higher

Thanks

Dan

That was eyeballing it. I don't have peak hold. I'll set up a camera. I do want it to be as accurate as possible..

HaddadMotorsports
04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Please stop saying belt slip, We've run a 2.8 pulley on our car without even a 1/4 turn of slip. We have also done multiple cars with 3.0 pulley's without any signs of slip. (This is not a GTO and its not a GTO system.) You better be making over 600rwhp and/or have someone spraying the belt with oil to have a shot at belt slip. Our car made 600rwhp at 5500 rpm. We engineered a bastard fuel system (not approved for sale) to make it work. Besides the fuel system, the car is pretty much out of cam and head. Hence forth we have determined the 3.0 pulley optimal for 95% of our clientele. On a properly done setup that should net you somewhere between 500-520rwhp all day long, on pump gas.

Thanks
Mike Haddad

HaddadMotorsports
04-09-2009, 03:26 PM

I wouldn't go smaller than a 2.8, but a 2.7 is doable and available. At that point a however, a larger diameter crank pulley will be the ticket.

norm8332
04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Please stop saying belt slip, We've run a 2.8 pulley on our car without even a 1/4 turn of slip. We have also done multiple cars with 3.0 pulley's without any signs of slip. (This is not a GTO and its not a GTO system.) You better be making over 600rwhp and/or have someone spraying the belt with oil to have a shot at belt slip. Our car made 600rwhp at 5500 rpm. We engineered a bastard fuel system (not approved for sale) to make it work. Besides the fuel system, the car is pretty much out of cam and head. Hence forth we have determined the 3.0 pulley optimal for 95% of our clientele. On a properly done setup that should net you somewhere between 500-520rwhp all day long, on pump gas.

Thanks
Mike Haddad

I stand corrected on the slip. I was basing it off of the GTO system and some belt dust I found on my pulley.

Dan@Livernois
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I stand corrected on the slip. I was basing it off of the GTO system and some belt dust I found on my pulley.

Your ok Norm,

I always look for obvious signs of belt slip, I dont believe your car or any of the G8 magnacharger's have belt slip (espically with a 3.2) either but I always check when boost levels are not at expected levels.

Let me know what boost you record

Thanks

Dan

BoostedToy
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm getting ready to go with a stock exhaust and a 3.1 pulley (TVS1900 w/60lb injectors). I'll let you all know how it turns out.

GTPprix
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I was on a 3.0", exhaust sounded like ass but if I hadnt run out of pump it would have been pretty fast ;)

BoostedToy
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Did you have the stock exhaust with the 3.0 pulley? I'm asking because I'm still debating 3.1 or 3.0. If so, what did it sound like? Did you have a Boost-A-Pump or Magnavolt?

GTPprix
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Yup I did, exhaust sounds horrible. i'm doing a full fuel system boost a pump or magnavolt wouldnt do anything for me i'll be probably in the 580+ to the tires range when the car actually gets fuel ;)

BoostedToy
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
When you say horrible...was it like a wooshing noise? Sometimes I have heard cars running some boost with restrictive exhausts make a whooshing noise.

GTPprix
04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Yup thats EXACTLY what it sounds like its completely outflowing the exhaust above 3000 RPM :\

norm8332
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
When you say horrible...was it like a wooshing noise? Sometimes I have heard cars running some boost with restrictive exhausts make a whooshing noise.

Thats what mine does on the GT also. I call it one big loud hiss.

GTPprix
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
LOL We both need exhausts :D

BoostedToy
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Ha...I was wondering if that was where you were going with that. It sounded like someone shooting a compressed stream of air (think air tool compressed stream of air) into a low-speed fan. How much power were you making on stock exhaust with a 3.0 pulley? Also, do you happen to remember how much boost the 3.0 pulley made on the stock exhaust?

GTPprix
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I made 553 to the tire WAY out of fuel and boost MAXED at 8.5PSI ish. Remember i'm a GXP :)

GeorgeInNePa
04-28-2009, 05:58 PM
A properly cammed GT should be close.

norm8332
04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
A properly cammed GT should be close.

Yeah Mine has the crappy stock cam and I wont see that even at 9psi.

GeorgeInNePa
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah Mine has the crappy stock cam and I wont see that even at 9psi.

zoso is right around 500 at 8 to 9, with non-stock exhaust and the stock cam.

norm8332
05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Slight update:

3.0 pulley W/ stock exhaust yielded about 11 psi in my latest test - I think way too high. My new exhaust is on order.

:rant2: Maybe when it gets here some day I'll be able to install it. :rant2:

GTPprix
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I would be more worried about knock/fuel than exhaust at that point, thats crazy territory :D

norm8332
05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I would be more worried about knock/fuel than exhaust at that point, thats crazy territory :D

Yeah, but it should only be at 9 with the 3.0 pulley. The exhaust restriction is causing this high number according to people I have spoken too.

I'm not going try to use the 3" pulley again until i have the headers etc. Then back in it goes and of course some scanned runs will be made. I just did a short burst to get that number. (maybe 5 seconds)

done12many2
05-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Slight update:

3.0 pulley W/ stock exhaust yielded about 11 psi in my latest test - I think way too high. My new exhaust is on order.

That is about where I am at with the 2.8 pulley. That is a good amount of boost for a 3.0.

BoostedToy
05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Slight update:

How did it feel at 11psi with stock exhaust? What kind of power was it making? Should be torquey with all that cylinder pressure. Was the stock exhaust setup making a "whooshing" type sound? I've seen cars with restrictive stock exhausts (in general) running some decent boost and they always made a whooshing (sounded like gushing air..almost like taking an air tool w/o an attachment and blowing it into a low speed fan...it was odd).

I'm getting ready to put my TVS1900 on in the next couple of weeks. I'll have a stock exhaust (including stock headers) running a 3.1 pulley (of course I have larger injectors and a BAP). Just trying to get a feel for what I'm in for.

norm8332
05-02-2009, 03:23 AM
How did it feel at 11psi with stock exhaust? What kind of power was it making? Should be torquey with all that cylinder pressure. Was the stock exhaust setup making a "whooshing" type sound? I've seen cars with restrictive stock exhausts (in general) running some decent boost and they always made a whooshing (sounded like gushing air..almost like taking an air tool w/o an attachment and blowing it into a low speed fan...it was odd).

I'm getting ready to put my TVS1900 on in the next couple of weeks. I'll have a stock exhaust (including stock headers) running a 3.1 pulley (of course I have larger injectors and a BAP). Just trying to get a feel for what I'm in for.

When it was at 11 psi all you could hear was a loud hiss that was louder than the motor and road noise. The torque was crazy, It felt like I lit a rocket when I floored it. But I'm going to take it easy on it until the exhaust restriction is fixed.

johnh
05-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Are you seeing any Knock/KR with 11 psi?

norm8332
05-02-2009, 05:23 AM
I only did one run with it hitting 11. I wasn't scanning. It shouldn't even be that high with the pulley I'm running (3"). It should be around 9 so I'm done with it until the exhaust restriction is removed. I don't want to blow something.

MtbDoc
05-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Good stuff! Norm, are you still on the same tune that Livernois did? Are you looking at A/F ration (I didn't recall you mentioning the install of a wideband)? I have Kooks 1 7/8 + catted X-pipe, 3.1 pulley, injectors, Magnavolt all waiting for me to take the time to install, BUT: I don't want to do ANYTHING until I have some sense about what the current tune can and can't do. I am debating installing a bung in X-pipe for a wideband, but as I've noted elsewhere, I was hoping to avoid all of the with this car: just set it up and forget it! I am NOT going to do anything beyond this (well, 3.0 pulley perhaps) as it will be PLENTY for my DD use. The goat may well see some larger turbos before it's all over, though.

norm8332
05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Good stuff! Norm, are you still on the same tune that Livernois did? Are you looking at A/F ration (I didn't recall you mentioning the install of a wideband)? I have Kooks 1 7/8 + catted X-pipe, 3.1 pulley, injectors, Magnavolt all waiting for me to take the time to install, BUT: I don't want to do ANYTHING until I have some sense about what the current tune can and can't do. I am debating installing a bung in X-pipe for a wideband, but as I've noted elsewhere, I was hoping to avoid all of the with this car: just set it up and forget it! I am NOT going to do anything beyond this (well, 3.0 pulley perhaps) as it will be PLENTY for my DD use. The goat may well see some larger turbos before it's all over, though.

It's still on the livernois tune, I'm going to get it re-tunned with an unlocked tune when I get the exhaust installed. I think power wise that will be it. I'd like to keep the motor/trans together.

I am thinking about maybe some suspension upgrades because it gets pretty loose/sloppy under high throttle.

I think my converter may be having some slight issues. It's doing some weird stuff like a 2-step stall. stalls at like 2000 then "breaks loose" and jumps to 2900 and you can feel it. I don't think it's the tranny.