PDA

View Full Version : Super Quick VMS Question

g8gt64
04-08-2009, 05:52 AM
I went to read my ecm file and then send it to vms no problem. This morning I went to read my tcm file, but in engineering mdoe when I checked the batter charge is said 2.3% after I ran the car for an hour it's only up to 3.5%....

Is that the actually % of charge left of the battery? I'm worried about doing anything because they state many times if either battery goes out then your car will be bricked.

Chewy
04-08-2009, 06:04 AM
It wouldn't start with it at 2.3 or 3.5%. Something is up. Mine is usually in the 80's somewhere...

If it starts and runs just fine I would just pull the file. Call Kirk and Steve and see what they say.

Chris

Devilish34
04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Worse case if you have a battery charger hook it up.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Worse case if you have a battery charger hook it up.

You can not have a battery charger hooked up while programming. They output a lot of noise which can interfere with the programming process.

g8gt64
04-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I let the car run for a couple of hours and it wont go above 3.5% so I'm thinking I might take it to the dealership? I emailed Kirk about it and he said the 12.5 volts was fine but he wasn't sure about why the charge % is so low.I guess I could buy a car charger and get it tomorrow but I rather not spend $50 when my car is less than a year old....

flomofo
04-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Mine did the same thing when I had my amp power wire underneath everything else on the power terminal.

g8gt64
04-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Mine did the same thing when I had my amp power wire underneath everything else on the power terminal.

Not really sure what you said in that second sentence...... Sorry I'm new to the electronics/ecm side of car tuning.

But I talked to Kirk and he told me to go for it, and I did, and it worked. YAY! The car feels great now, after my Corsa cat back and Holden engine covers I'll be done with the mods. Until the warranty runs out in a few years and I do some forced induction. :woohoo:

RxApple
04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I had the same problem with my car when I did a couple of adjustments with Superchips cortex. Drove it and it wouldn't go up... Finally decided something was wrong with the engineering mode reading and went to sleep. Did nothing... Went out the next morning and started it up. It said battery charge was 85%..... So in conclusion, I think hooking things up to ECM somehow messes up the reading in engineering mode....

jbradsh1
04-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Until the warranty runs out in a few years and I do some forced induction. :woohoo:

That could be quite a while with a 5 yr., 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Devilish34
04-09-2009, 02:49 AM
You can not have a battery charger hooked up while programming. They output a lot of noise which can interfere with the programming process.

What about jumpers or a trickel charger?

Naptown99
04-10-2009, 07:16 AM
The same thing happened to me, drove around and it said it was barely charging... maybe got up to 6%. thought I would have to use a battery charger on it the next day but when I started it up it said I had 98% charge remaining. Very weird, but I managed to load in the new tune no problem.

Chewy
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
I just did mine yesterday and didn't even look to see where the battery was at. It starts and that's fine with me. I plugged it all in and BAM! It worked like a champ.

Chris

r1owner
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I just did mine yesterday and didn't even look to see where the battery was at. It starts and that's fine with me. I plugged it all in and BAM! It worked like a champ.

Chris

Same here.

g8gt64
04-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah I think it was just reading it wrong.... I forgot to read my TCM file though, need to email that to VMS on Friday.... I'm happy with just the ECM tune but from what I understand the TCM tune takes it to the next level.

Chewy
04-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Uhm... YEAH! I have a ball with it.

IcePickFreak
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Got my files back from Kirk yesterday and loaded them last night as well, very happy with the tune so far, car just seems smoother & power is up across the board, not just peak. Of course when you really mash the pedal that smoothness takes a break during shifts.
I'll have to check the battery thing just out of curiosity at lunch time.