PDA

View Full Version : got the vararam!!

TurboSS
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
it came in today and couldnt get it on fast enough!!
but, there was a slight problem with the top lid on mine. the left side clip was not lined up close enough to latch. the clip on the top lid was angled just enough to where the bar clip was in the middle of the latch thats on the bottom lid. so one was about 1/4ish inches too low for the other ( if that makes any sense) so i thought the install was going to have to wait. i emailed steve and realized....shit, its the end of the work day. so i played with it alittle to see if i could make it work. after about 30mins i was able to push the plastic lip enough to get both clips to latch and stay tight. i left it like that for a few hours to see it if just needed some time to warp to each other and fit alittle better. i was right for the most part. so the install began!!

instructions were pretty straight forward and clear. i had alittle trouble finding the 2nd little tab that would allow the radiator clip to come all the way off. i kept reading the instructions and looking at the clip....but i was having a retarded moment i guess. once i found it though....cake.
pretty smooth install from that point on. good job vararam!

the test drive was next. i didnt really notice alot of exhaust tone change. i still have the stock setup with the washer mod until the headers get installed so thats probably why. i let the car warm up to oper. temp. and noticed the engine was trying to find a idle speed that would make it happy. it was sitting at about 800 where 550-600 is normal, and was not real smooth. i was glad to see it though.....thats telling me the computer is seeing something its not use to....its called GOOD AIR FLOW!
drove around normal ( which is slow for me) for about 15miles and it seems the tranny shifts alittle better now...might just wishful thinking there.
it is happier with reving at normal accel and spirited driving both.
WOT runs.......sweet. it pulls much better in the upper rpms. i never use to be able to FEEL the torq man. kick in during shifts while stealing my power, but now i can really feel it in the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift.
now for the after drive inspection. i noticed that one of the clips ( the one that isnt really aligned right) was popped off and the top of the lid was not tight and sealed 100%. i decided to give the top lid alittle more slack since i had it pulled pretty hard towards the throttle body to see if that would help the clip and lid stay sealed better. after giving it some slack it seems to be sealing and staying tight much better this time. ill drive it again in the morning to check and make sure shes still tight. i personally would have rather had the rubber "T" clips that were in the early model and on my z06. they really have NO chance of popping off when the motor is torquing back and forth...but i'm sure vararam had a reason for going with the metal ones over the rubber....maybe long term issues with the rubber clips.

anyways....overall....a sweet unit! good job steve and the crew at vararam!

vararam
04-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Call me at 866-507-2648 and I will help with your unit -we will replace if the latch is misaligned and not staying latched. Don't need it popping open!!!!
Call me!!!
Thanks
Steve