PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Noise

mojovious
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
09 GT with 4500 miles - just developed an intermittent "click" in passenger rear suspension - very intermittent. Sounds like a heavy click, sort of like a spring seating. Haven't had a chance to get under it yet, just wondering if any of you have experienced this and found a culprit? My search did not come up with any information, might be unique problem to my car. I plan on doing a pedders track II at some point but wasn't planning to do it right now.
Ideas?

jmorgan
04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Noticed the same thing recently, it was worse today. Over little bumps it kind of clicks passenger rear. Have not tried looking for it yet.

mk5ck
04-07-2009, 02:45 AM
I have the same problem both front and rear. Loud popping when the suspension is loaded and unloaded. GM first said it was motor mounts and replaced both. No help of course. Now have ball joints on order, they told me it might be salt intrusion from shipping overseas. We will see once they come in, I was told at least two weeks to get them.

Chewy
04-07-2009, 04:58 AM
I have a VERY loud front strut which I believe is caused by the poorly designed strut bushings and bearings. It creaks when accelerating from a stop and when turning and it sounds like the whole strut assembly is bouncing around in the car.

It seems pretty unbelievable to me but WTF to do... I DO NOT want to take it to the stealer only to have them replace parts until they find it but I also don't want to do it myself. What to do???

I think it's going to get pedderized at some point. Not completely but maybe a little...

Chris

GotMyG8V8
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah i just took a trip and when i got down where i was going, i noticed noise coming out of my front driver side suspension. Almost sounded like a rock might be stuck in there, but definitely only happened as i was taking off and as i was letting off the accelerator when i was on even ground. If i was driving on a hill it didn't happen. I was definitely clueless when i couldn't reproduce it.

steined
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a VERY loud front strut which I believe is caused by the poorly designed strut bushings and bearings. It creaks when accelerating from a stop and when turning and it sounds like the whole strut assembly is bouncing around in the car.

It seems pretty unbelievable to me but WTF to do... I DO NOT want to take it to the stealer only to have them replace parts until they find it but I also don't want to do it myself. What to do???

I think it's going to get pedderized at some point. Not completely but maybe a little...

Chris

I'm doing the same thing. I'm getting the Pedders parts. Pedders should have a group special called "Bailout GM", fix strut mounts/bushings with parts that will last and save GM the warranty claims... (boo!)

GotMyG8V8
04-15-2009, 06:55 AM
So this is a bushings issue? I just went out last night and the sound came up again and was a little louder, then was gone a few hours later when i went home. I wanna bring it to the dealership, but i know it won't make the noise when they take it out for a drive. It's kinda embarassing having people in a new car that is making that noise.

Edit: If i get the Pedders bushings, it should take care of this problem? How long do you think book time would be on replacing them, as i wouldn't be able to do it myself. Thanks.

Chewy
04-15-2009, 07:30 AM
I went with the Pedders Touring OE height kit and am having it installed may 1st and 2nd. They told me 5 hours on the kit and a couple more for the 4 wheel alignment.

Basically what I am getting is the front struts and springs with bushings and bearings and rear shocks and springs. I have already installed the rear sub-frame bushings myself with the help of my friend. This will get me closer to where the car needs to be as a DD. It handles VERY well for a 4000+ pound car and the Pedders will do nothing but enhance it. Total for parts, install and alignment is 1,800.00

Chris

jmorgan
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I went with the Pedders Touring OE height kit and am having it installed may 1st and 2nd. They told me 5 hours on the kit and a couple more for the 4 wheel alignment.

Basically what I am getting is the front struts and springs with bushings and bearings and rear shocks and springs. I have already installed the rear sub-frame bushings myself with the help of my friend. This will get me closer to where the car needs to be as a DD. It handles VERY well for a 4000+ pound car and the Pedders will do nothing but enhance it. Total for parts, install and alignment is 1,800.00

Chris

Please let us know how it turns out, I am looking at the same package or maybe even the lowering package. I used to think the suspension was ok but the more I drive it the more sloppy it feels.

beach
04-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Please let us know how it turns out, I am looking at the same package or maybe even the lowering package. I used to think the suspension was ok but the more I drive it the more sloppy it feels.

YES. I thought, and mostly still do, it was great but more time in and, well, reading other's reviews and into Pedders, it feels squishier everyday. Funny.

My main desire is to fix the nasty creaky/squeaky strut tops when it's cold, but as I otherwise have no issues and it sails straight, smooth, and noise free otherwise, I never thought I'd want anything else. After contacting one of the big Pedders experts in eastern PA, and chatting with some other owners, I want more...potentially. Bare minimum strut bearings/bushings and front/rear bushing upgrades, or more also with struts/shocks and bars. Hmm. Oh, 2k miles, it's time, of course.

Chewy
04-16-2009, 06:11 AM
YES. I thought, and mostly still do, it was great but more time in and, well, reading other's reviews and into Pedders, it feels squishier everyday. Funny.

My main desire is to fix the nasty creaky/squeaky strut tops when it's cold, but as I otherwise have no issues and it sails straight, smooth, and noise free otherwise, I never thought I'd want anything else. After contacting one of the big Pedders experts in eastern PA, and chatting with some other owners, I want more...potentially. Bare minimum strut bearings/bushings and front/rear bushing upgrades, or more also with struts/shocks and bars. Hmm. Oh, 2k miles, it's time, of course.

That's why I am starting small and working my way up. Lets see where this gets me and then go from there...

jnak
04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Good god this suspension noise is frustrating. I took the car in to the dealer way back in December, they replaced the strut mounts. The grinding noise disappeared but now it clunks over bumps. So I took it back again in March and they replaced the driver side strut. The noise was worse, so they ordered new strut bushings, which they supposedly replaced today.

Guess what? I just got a call from the dealer and the noise is still there, so they're going to replace the ball joints.

Edit: apparently there's a bulletin on ball joint replacement? Has anyone heard anything about this?

mk5ck
04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Mine is also waiting on the arrival of new ball joints. The have been on order for two weeks.

Chewy
04-17-2009, 05:25 AM
WOW now I'm worried this won't fix it and I'll have to have that done too.

Wonder if they'll warranty it with all the Pedders stuff installed... lol

Chooch
04-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I got it it seems as well. I have 11500 on mine. I am going to ask the GM tech when I go pick up my wifes car if in fact if I get the Pedders Bushings, will they swap those in if it turns out mine are bad........

Panzer Leader
04-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I got it it seems as well. I have 11500 on mine. I am going to ask the GM tech when I go pick up my wifes car if in fact if I get the Pedders Bushings, will they swap those in if it turns out mine are bad........
Please keep us posted on the problem. Is this limited to the G8GT? OR does it also affect trhe V6 model? Would think so as both are riding on the FE2 suspension.

Chewy
04-18-2009, 04:25 AM
I would imagine both as well!

todds87ss
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm suprised that cars are getting work done at dealerships for this issue. My 06 GTO got the runaround and virtually no work done for 3 years. Dealership continued to deny that there was an issue.
According to other things (Interwebz) I have read, this clunking sound on the GTO was due to Radius Rod bushings. I was informed that the design on the G8 was better, but that it may still be susceptable to this. They (Pedders Radius Rod Bushes) were not that expensive, IIRC. Might be a place to look...

Chewy
04-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Already done M8! Getting it sorted on May 1st and 2nd.

Virus
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I have less than 300 miles on my car and when I take a left hand turn I am getting the same sounds everyone is describing. Creeking or like a CV joint is going bad. I do not get this when turning right.

Virus
04-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Just received word, car came from the factory with bad front strut bearings and they are replacing the entire assembly. Gotta love that GM quality control!

incon3037r
04-30-2009, 06:55 AM
So has anyone found out what the clicking in the REAR is?

Chewy
04-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Just received word, car came from the factory with bad front strut bearings and they are replacing the entire assembly. Gotta love that GM quality control!

It's a bad design! Pedders are better which is why instead of fixing it multiple times, I am doing it once the right way... Unfortunately my way costs me 2000 bucks! :spank:

SRG963
04-30-2009, 07:02 AM
So has anyone found out what the clicking in the REAR is?

ABS starting up or brakes pumping the air out of the line :)

Virus
04-30-2009, 07:14 AM
It's a bad design! Pedders are better which is why instead of fixing it multiple times, I am doing it once the right way... Unfortunately my way costs me 2000 bucks! :spank:

My first American car purchase in the last 15 years and now I am reminded why..... My wife asked, "so why did you trade in your 18 month old G35 Sedan Sport?" While the G8 has the same 60 and 1/4 mile times as the G35, I love all the space and the V8 is intoxicating!

Chewy
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
My bro just got a new G37Xs and it's sweet as hell! I still wouldn't trade my G8 for it.

I love my rear drive V8 power.

PerfectD3
04-30-2009, 09:18 AM
I've got the clunking in the rear as well, let me know if the OE kit fixes it and I will bite the bullet. I have the RRA bushings, but am waiting until I have time to get an alignment afterwords.

Virus
05-02-2009, 06:17 AM
They replaced the front strut assembly and the car no longer creeks or pops when turning left. Now it does it going over speed bumps and when started out from a stop. What now? I've had this thing 8 days and it's been in the shop 5 days already.

GotMyG8V8
05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Had my car in the shop today, of course they couldn't reproduce the noise in the front. So i guess i'm going to just have to wait until there's some kinda damage before they do anything about it. Like i have said before, it's kinda embarassing driving with a few people in the car and all of a sudden your brand new expensive car is making a noise like that.

Virus
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Had my car in the shop today, of course they couldn't reproduce the noise in the front. So i guess i'm going to just have to wait until there's some kinda damage before they do anything about it. Like i have said before, it's kinda embarassing driving with a few people in the car and all of a sudden your brand new expensive car is making a noise like that.

I'm wondering it the service department says they "can't hear it", what recourse we have. Mine is pretty loud and it happens all the time so I don't think I will get any push back on it, but I've already taken 2 days leave to get this far. I miss the free loaner car from Infiniti!

beach
05-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Not really end build quality control with these things, but rather a part that could be better and more so a design that pushes them to fail. Add in the boat ride for ours, with them chained down tightly, and they're ALL bad right from the start...even if you have no issues in regards to noises, creaks, squeaks, alignment problems, etc., they can be bad.

Case in point my car. Never an issue when I first test drove it. Never an issue on the longer drive home, etc. And still nothing once it was officially my daily driver, etc., then it got cold overnight after a few days and I heard this:

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/09%20G8/February%2024%202009/Video/

Of course, I had no idea what it was, but after posting...it was clear--the common strut bushings/bearings. Doesn't make a peep in ANY way when it's mid high 30's or above outside or the car is warmed, but let it sit in the cold, and wa-la. Still, that said, zero pulling, thunking, "it's loose", or other issues while driving, now approaching 3 months. Dealer is/was, etc. useless, as it doesn't "show" unless you're...well...looking.

Finally made it to Rocksand Racing in PA yesterday and, uh, yeah, we have a problem. Still no driving issues whatsoever at a just crossed 3k miles, but just after popping the hood, Frank could see the strut caps were elevated a bit from the fenders (first sign) and then after he jumped in and turned the wheel in the gravel drive while we watched...:blink:...to say they moved was an understatement. I never have seen this view before, only heard it on the cold mornings, but the strut caps lifted out of the fenders, tilted significantly as the wheel was turned and rotated, in both directions. Let's just say I had a newfound worry going over highway bumps on the way home.

I somehow forgot to grab my camera for this, but did after for a shot that at least showed some of what happens with the wheels turned as far as movement...the tops moved a lot more than this, when active.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/09%20G8/May%202%202009/Image00002.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/09%20G8/May%202%202009/Image00001.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/09%20G8/May%202%202009/Image00003.jpg

BUT, the worst part is they're all essentially like this, and most like my car exhibit no "obvious" signs, either at all or slightly. I still have no ride, steering, etc. issues, but have bushings squashed & shot, that have been so since day one. The ONLY possible sign, other than the cold noise, was how about a week after picking it up, all of a sudden my steering wheel was cocked to the left going straight. The dealer found it out of a alignment and fixed it, but of course we never looked beyond that. Most likely, after some actual driving, things finally dropped or settled in further, and wa-la, there it happened.

I'm having Pedders pieces installed ASAP, back at Rocksand in PA, along with some other items. In the meantime, it's just still perturbing that all G8's out there (at least based on the fact that no one from Pedders, etc. have worked on one yet that didn't have the strut bushing issue). Again, my car drives, looks, etc. perfectly fine with no noises, etc. yet I have the issue pretty severely...so no one should be surprised, even if nothing seems wrong.

johnbell2
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Saw a post from a vendor on another board (can't remember which) state that this problem is almost always seen on the drivers side mount. Looks like a cut and dried case of that right here.

incon3037r
05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
ABS starting up or brakes pumping the air out of the line :)

I know what that sound is. I thought he was talking about something to do with his suspension.

beach
05-04-2009, 02:31 AM
Saw a post from a vendor on another board (can't remember which) state that this problem is almost always seen on the drivers side mount. Looks like a cut and dried case of that right here.

Mine do exactly the same things--in that picture, the wheels were just turned the one way and not the other. If so, then the passenger's would pop up equally. Both bushings are crushed, as on every stock G8, so there's lots of room to play and shift around.

When sitting level with the wheels straight, both sides are even, just a hair above the sheetmetal--this was actually how Frank first pointed it out, them being even a bit elevated.

Virus
05-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Awesome videos and pics Beach! This needs to become a sticky. I just did this and sure enough, the side they just replaced is fine, no gap, the side they didn't replace has a similar gap as the picture. This could be causing the thump as I go over speed bumps and rough road, but could it also be the cause of the creeking?

Chewy
05-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Hey Beach yours are worse than mine were and mine clunked and banged over bumps. With the new suspension installed it's as quiet as a mouse and sounds like new again...

Yee haw! Loving it!

BUT!!!! I STILL have the creak. The owner of Modern Muscle looked at it with a stethoscope and said he's 100% sure it's the drivers side motor mount which I now agree with. It makes the noise when I start the car some times as well and really only makes it going forward and not reverse which makes sense as it's stretching the motor mount when in forward and compressing it when in reverse.

Sooooo.... Off to the stealer I go...

Chris

Virus
05-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Hey Beach yours are worse than mine were and mine clunked and banged over bumps. With the new suspension installed it's as quiet as a mouse and sounds like new again...

Yee haw! Loving it!

BUT!!!! I STILL have the creak. The owner of Modern Muscle looked at it with a stethoscope and said he's 100% sure it's the drivers side motor mount which I now agree with. It makes the noise when I start the car some times as well and really only makes it going forward and not reverse which makes sense as it's stretching the motor mount when in forward and compressing it when in reverse.

Sooooo.... Off to the stealer I go...

Chris

Mine only makes this noise when moving forward as well. Before replacing the left front strut assembly, it made a similar noise with some "popping" when turning left. Since replacement, that the noise has ceased when turning left, but as I mentioned before it continues when going over bumps and starting from a stopped position.

Chewy
05-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Here are what my front strut caps looked like before the upgrade.

Like I said, you could here the strut bouncing around in the mounts.:hang:

These photos were taken about 4000 miles ago. They were slightly worse when I brought it in for replacement.:wacko:

beach
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I have more pictures from yesterday of both caps as the car sat straight and level in my driveway, back down to "normal", only slightly up from the fender. It really was WOW when the wheel was turned in the gravel...watching them jump up, tilt, rotate, etc.

Still, however, no noise, no clunks, and still no steering, etc. issues as is.

Having the strut bushings/bearings and the other key front & rear bushings done as a start, but keep thinking I should go further with more (struts, shocks, etc.). I like the soft'ish ride, but at the same time over some bumps that lack of damping feeling isn't great.

Chewy
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey Beach, If you like amazing handling go with the struts and springs. I am amazed what it did.

I still have a lot of the stock rubber bushes on it but I took Pedders advice and replaced all the important stuff.

I see no reason to replace all the other stuff. It's my DD so a bit more compliance isn't all bad. I'm not drag racing it or anything. Might hit the local SCCA event though...

Took it through the round about and DAMN! The caster washers make a HELL of a difference.

beach
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey Beach, If you like amazing handling go with the struts and springs. I am amazed what it did.

I still have a lot of the stock rubber bushes on it but I took Pedders advice and replaced all the important stuff.

I see no reason to replace all the other stuff. It's my DD so a bit more compliance isn't all bad. I'm not drag racing it or anything. Might hit the local SCCA event though...

Took it through the round about and DAMN! The caster washers make a HELL of a difference.

Great review. As was recommended, the bushings alone and fixing the dance around struts should make a big difference, even with the same struts, shocks, springs, etc. But, you know, it still will only do so much.

Not that I've ever been unhappy with the suspension as it is for my so called "Grandma Betty" daily cruising, but varied highways, curves, etc. still beg for more. As long as I keep my pleasant ride, via firmer, more controlled damping, that could be the ticket. Now, or later.

Chewy
05-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I am 100% sure the strut bushing and bearings fixed my issue but I thought if they're going to tear into it that far I might as well go all the way and get struts.

SOOOOO happy I did. The high speed wallowing is gone.

Chris

beach
05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I am 100% sure the strut bushing and bearings fixed my issue but I thought if they're going to tear into it that far I might as well go all the way and get struts.

Chris

Similar thoughts here...they'll be out & apart in the first place, why not reinstall better parts? Rocksand did another like mine where in addition to the bushings they did new struts/shocks and bars BUT kept the stock springs because the owner liked the stance & for what he wanted, they saw little value in tossing 1800 mile springs. I've email chatted with the owner a lot and he loves it, especially after the non-stop issues he had before, stock springs and all.

Chewy
05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah but buying the parts in KIT form is MUCH cheaper than by the piece. I think I saved some 500 bucks buying the kit.

You MUST get the EP6560 though. WELL worth it IMO.

Chris

johnbell2
05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
*sigh* Ok so it's not my imagination... there are certain things about this car that make it seem to drive like a broken shopping cart. Here are some pics of mine at a little under 2100 miles, taken today:

Left, full turn left
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/johnbell2/PIC-0110.jpg

Same at a different angle
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/johnbell2/PIC-0109.jpg

Left, full turn *right*
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/johnbell2/PIC-0108.jpg

Right, full turn right
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/johnbell2/PIC-0107.jpg

Back to left, full turn left
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/johnbell2/PIC-0106.jpg

Popped the hood and watched the driver side one move while I reached in and turned the wheel. Sheesh. Time to spend some quality time with my friendly dealer service rep :spank: - she goes in this Thursday, wish me luck.

beach
05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Popped the hood and watched the driver side one move while I reached in and turned the wheel. Sheesh. Time to spend some quality time with my friendly dealer service rep :spank: - she goes in this Thursday, wish me luck.

Scary to watch, ey? As if I didn't already avoid every lump or hole possible, I really had a new appreciation for not hitting things or taking "stressful" turns since I saw how much mine moved as well. Yet again, the big thing is, they're ALL like this as stock, only to slightly varied degrees and some with obvious signs, others without.

In my case, the dealer didn't have a clue because it wasn't making any noise like I described when cold, and knowing that and the OE parts, that was the end of that road, quickly. Good luck with the dealer...pop the hood and give the show;) They're, uh, not exactly the brightest bulbs all the time, even with the most exquisite of helpful details.

beach
05-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, as of a few minutes ago I'll be doing Pedders struts & shocks and coils, on top of all the bushings as we had already planned. Those alone will make a drastic difference, but the stock dampers still have too much of that weak kneed...you know. I like the height as it is, but on recommendation a .5" drop all around will make a big difference in feel without much in the look and in conjunction with the bushings negate much of the change by new sway bars for my driving.

Price wise, oh well, why not. Hopefully all the Pedders stuff has some long term mileage and years built in, beyond the 2 year, 36k full warranty.

Chewy
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
You doing the kit then Beach?

I'm still amazed by the difference. It still makes some noise when the road drops out of under the car which it does A LOT here in the midwest but NO WHERE near what it did prior. Personally I think it's a flaw in the design. What ever...

Chris

beach
05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
You doing the kit then Beach?

I'm still amazed by the difference. It still makes some noise when the road drops out of under the car which it does A LOT here in the midwest but NO WHERE near what it did prior. Personally I think it's a flaw in the design. What ever...

Chris

I'm doing, uh, a mixture of stuff. Basically a Street II lowered (I think) with some extra bushings. No sways or strut tower, essentially, or a few other bushings. Rocksand likes to do piecemeal, essentially, fine tuning each to the user piece by piece, but I can order a kit and the individual pieces to save some...we'll figure that out.

Despite the squishy lack of damping, I still like that, and hopefully I'll like the tighter but more controlled over bumps, etc. ride after even more.

Chewy
05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah I did some piece meal as well. BMR trailing arms control arm bushing with caster washers and then the kit to save the $$$ over pieces.

Good luck and let us know what you think.

beach
05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah I did some piece meal as well. BMR trailing arms control arm bushing with caster washers and then the kit to save the $$$ over pieces.

Good luck and let us know what you think.

You know, after being averse to changing the height at all, after looking at it in the parking lot this afternoon after talking to Frank at Rocksand about the changes...now it looks like a baja runner to me:sneak: Well, you know. Now I'm just itching to get it done.

Chewy
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM
LOL I think the OE height which I guess means slightly lowered looks great on my car and the handling is great too. I was afraid of hitting things.

Virus
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I took the car to the service department today and she creaked like a champ and thumped on que while I went for a drive with the service tech. Loud and clear! I need a good 6 months or so before pedderizing with the Street II. Daycare will be $2800 starting next month through the summer on top of a $3600 mortgage and all the other monthly bills that life brings :-)

beach
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
LOL I think the OE height which I guess means slightly lowered looks great on my car and the handling is great too. I was afraid of hitting things.

Agreed, which is why "lowering" scared me all around, despite the looks. When Frank said a half inch all around, notably lowering the center of gravity to be very effective even at that slight bit, it sounded better and better to me.

I'm still not sure which springs these would be, for this very slight drop. Either way, like the dampers it's one of those things if I'm going to have it all torn apart anyway...go big or go home. And now with 3k daily driving miles, it's feeling looser and looser everyday to me, even without any weird noises or the like at this point. I already envisioned what it would be like afterwards on my drive home tonight...can't wait;)

Virus
05-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Alright, I need some advice! The driver side engine mount is cracked. They said the part is on back order and can take up to 3 weeks for delivery. Is the car safe to drive during this timeframe? The dealer says it's fine and won't cause any additional damage.

FrolferG8
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
my car is now making this creaking sound and my strut towers look the same as the pics Im going to the dealer in the morning, wish me luck!

Panzer Leader
05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Mine goes back in tomorrow morning and I am pissed! Get ready to hear that they cannot duplicate the noise. What BS! GM knows there is a problem FIX THE DAMN THING NOW!!!!!! If my car is not corrected by GM I probably will Pedders the car but why? The damn thing is under a warranty backed by the full faith of the U.S. government, right? So says the Prez! So here it is, GM does not fix, I'll apply under the Lemon Law. Needless to say I did NOT buy the car to replace the suspension after 2400 freaking miles. I will sell the car and get the BIMMER. To all the GM employess and stock holders I must say I gave the U.S. car producer one last try. They did not let me down, they failed. I will never again own a U.S. made or partly made car.

TxNessie84
05-26-2009, 04:54 AM

Chris
So is this the cause of the unstability at higher speeds? My car seems fine cruising around town but when I get at freeway speeds or higher it seems to "bounce around" more than I would expect.

Chewy
05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
The uprated springs and struts are what solved the handling issues.

The new motor mount I had installed got rid of the creaking coming from under the hood. It's amazing how much it creaked when it hit bumps and what not. The car is virtually silent now!

Chris

Alright, I need some advice! The driver side engine mount is cracked. They said the part is on back order and can take up to 3 weeks for delivery. Is the car safe to drive during this timeframe? The dealer says it's fine and won't cause any additional damage.

3 weeks? Did they look for a 2008 mount? Mine tried for the 2009 mount and said the same thing... None in the U.S. DOH! I told them the '08 was the same thing and they ordered and had right away.

Chris

Panzer Leader
05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Checked on a brand new G8 GT stil in the box. Guess what, the bushings looked just as bad as some of your pictures if not worse. The dealer needs to get special washers to correct alignment issue. GM Tech says GM has, GM parts says no. So guess where they will be coming from, PEDDERS. BTW now running nitrogen in the tires. GM says add 10% to what the door jam calls for (Front 36 Rear 39) puts the front at 39.6 and 42.9 at cold check. I always thought that psi was psi no matter what gaseous matter used. Right or wrong????

FrolferG8
05-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I went to the dealership today and made an appointment. at first the service writer seemed a little shocked. but the we grabed the keys to a brand new 09 they had in their front lawn poped the hod and sure enough the strut towers looked the same and moved the same when we turned the wheel. so he said that is a GM warranty issue and there going to replace the front bushings and go from there

Coldones
05-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I've got the same suspension noise. The car doesn't seem real planted at highway speeds. The dealership claims nothing is wrong. I might as well just order the Pedder's bushings and be done with it.

beach
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got the same suspension noise. The car doesn't seem real planted at highway speeds. The dealership claims nothing is wrong. I might as well just order the Pedder's bushings and be done with it.

Yes. Even just new strut bushings and bearings, BIG change. I now have the springs along with other bushings and stock shocks, until the Pedders ones come in, and it's a different car. I had no issues before, but never really knew how loose it was until after.

Leaving everything alone except for changing out those trashed OEM front strut bushings, should be very noticeable. Biggest change for me was steering feel, unexpectedly so, with it just so much smoother and tighter up front because of that.

Mine had around 3500 miles and the bushings were, as known before hand, squashed like many, many miles of hard abuse, thanks to being naturally weak and subjected to the chained down, up and down boat motion. Straight off the lot, they were toast, and now that I know the difference in feeling after fixed...if only I had known then.

I went to the dealership today and made an appointment. at first the service writer seemed a little shocked. but the we grabed the keys to a brand new 09 they had in their front lawn poped the hod and sure enough the strut towers looked the same and moved the same when we turned the wheel. so he said that is a GM warranty issue and there going to replace the front bushings and go from there

Having spoken with Frank at Rocksand Racing who did my Pedders stuff just to confirm again, YES, they will move naturally but really should only pivot around without much other motion. Mine, both from when new, and at under 3500 miles when sitting in his gravel driveway would twist, turn, tilt and come up at least .5"+ off of the fender mounting point when the wheels were turned. NOT normal, unless for the angle squashed OEM bushings allowing the struts to just flop & turn all over the place. Still, I had no issues other than a nasty squeak/creak when freezing or below, tracked dead straight, etc...but after fixed with new pieces, it's a different car. And I had no miles.

You'd be hard pressed to find ANY dealer who truthfully would inspect such a thing, even seeing them move all around, and not say it's "within spec", partly because they just don't know the platform or its issues well, and partly because that's just the answer they'd give with anything. Trust me, I even tried. Once in a blue moon something is recognized, typically only if the car is making an obnoxious sound or otherwise up front or really loose and you have a skilled tech...but it's otherwise nada. Struts, particularly when mounted like this, will move, but not like this if your car is like any other G8. It's just happenstance that most out there, even so, don't outwardly present anything alerting to an issue, thankfully or not--like mine, except when cold.

If only I had taken the old squashed <4k bushings with me to help in training my dealer...even though they'll rarely see any G8's as it is. Oh well. At least we'll know.

FrolferG8
05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
well I got my car back from the dealership today and the creeck is still there. they said it was the control arms and they are on order for 2-3 weeks! Is this still safe? I don't really want to drive it but it is my daily driver, the service rep said it will be fine as long as I go easy and avoid bumbs as I always do but for those who live in the wny area know that's no always possible.

Panzer Leader
05-29-2009, 06:58 PM
IS IT SAFE? Good question? I would like to know that answer myself. Well, guess its Pedders Time. Street II, then sway bars, then front tower strut brace. BTW that brings up an interesting question, if you put a front tower strut brace on the oem front struts with all the movement, what does that do to the tower brace? Still waiting for dealership to get the Pedders washers to do the alignment.

GRRRR8
05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
The STB will have ZERO effect one way or the other on bushing wear/deflection.

Panzer Leader
06-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks Charlie, whats your assesment of the front tower strut brace?