PDA

View Full Version : My G8 MagnaCharger Experience

MtbDoc
04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
SUMMARY

Overall it is a well-engineered kit that integrates nicely with the stock engine bay. The blower has great potential which is under-utilized as the kit ships. The install has some issues that need to be clarified in the installation manual (which is EXTREMELY thorough; it just needs some changes). The tune as delivered is substandard. Finally, the kit does NOT ship from MagnaCharger with larger injectors. Some vendors are adding 60#ers.

DETAILS

Well, it is time for me to share my experiences with you, both good and bad. Several months ago, I asked a lot of pointed questions and raised concerns about this kit. I got a lot of flack both from a MagnaCharger representative, and some of you on these G8 boards. Ultimately I decided to give it a go. As noted here (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=178776&postcount=19) (off-site link), I ordered a kit from Mike Haddad. He assured me I would be quite pleased and that it was a well worked out kit.

It arrived very promptly, about 3 days after ordering it. After hearing much about the updated GM factory transmission tune for this car, I decided to go to my dealer the morning I was beginning the install, figuring it would be better to do it first. Let me tell you: the transmission reflash at the dealer was a TREMENDOUS improvement. The car shifted much more quickly and with more authority. I have an early 2009 car and the difference was dramatic. So I went home to begin the install.

Early on, I began to run into a few issues that could have been better handled in the instruction manual. Some are quite minor, others less so. In terms of installation issues, these are the main concerns:

1 – The “tools required” list does NOT include an air impact wrench, even though Brian [Blown Chevy / BlownG8GT] stated that the install could be done with a basic Craftsman tool set. The issue is removing the crank bolt. Getting someone to hold the flywheel with a crowbar is necessary without an impact. Very few home installs are going to have the impact. Similarly, getting adequate torque on the new bolt is quite difficult as well. Also, there isn’t a lot of room to drill the crank and pulley for pinning, but this was easily fixed with a $20 right angle drill attachment.

2 – Several install instructions need to be re-ordered: The fuel rails have to be removed to tighten down the blower. Same with the throttle body. Coils need to be installed AFTER plugging in the injectors…anyway, you get the idea. This is an EASY solution; they simply need to edit the manual. Unfortunately the supplied manual and the online manual are old. I typed out a list of changes and Brian tells me they are working to update this.

3- No new injectors: The instructions do NOT mention removing old injectors nor installing them; they do talk of injector adapter plugs. Obviously they initially were including injectors but changed their minds. On Mar 25 Mike Haddad informed me that initially the kit was to have a 3.2” pulley and larger injectors, but they changed to a 3.3” and no injectors, presumably for cost savings. What concerned me was that I thought I was getting larger injectors based on Mike’s posts on G8board.com (for example here (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=86062&postcount=12) (off-site link), and here (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=71298&postcount=29) (off-site link). This should be part of the value of the kit. The ATI Procharger kit comes with 60# injectors. Livernois and Lingenfelter both mention 60# injectors with the MagnaCharger.

4 – Issues with the supplied tune: This has been my other major concern. The kit includes a Superchips tuner that has the MagnaCharger tune pre-loaded. After finishing the install, you reflash the car using this (very straightforward to do). Unfortunately it is POOR. The transmission tune is outright awful. The shifting is MUCH worse than before, with very slow downshifts. Even worse, there is a LOT of off-idle delay. The throttle tip-in apparently is set to protect the tranny from someone STOMPING on it, but even trying to gently pull out into traffic is problematic. I let off the brake from a stop sign, let the car roll, and then waited before the car responded. This is REALLY bad. As far as the engine tune, it is setup for 91 octane. Again, this is problematic as most of the country pays for 93 octane, and so performance is given up. Also, it turns out that they really haven’t adjusted the part-throttle values as I am NOT seeing any improvement in mileage day-to-day with EASY driving. Almost everyone with an aftermarket tune has had improved mileage (even with NO engine mods) due to some leaner settings. This has not been done by Magnuson.

For those purchasing a kit from Livernois or Lingenfelter, it sounds as though they supply their own tune. If there are larger injectors that would have to be the case.

After expressing my concerns to Brian, he got me in touch with their tuner, Drew. He uploaded an improved transmission tune. It is better, but clearly still has somewhat sluggish shifting and tip-in throttle reduction remains noticeable. I have emailed him back but have heard nothing in two weeks since. They can easily reload a tune (via the internet) in the handheld, so hopefully this will get resolved.

Power: ehh…it’s okay. The car feels much stronger, no question. But many people posting on these forums reflect a sentiment that 420rwhp is not enough. It doesn’t seem to take long for folks to start talking pulley, headers, boost-a-pump…and a dyno tune. And that gets right back to where I initially stood on this kit. It just is NOT cost effective in my opinion. Yes, a cam install is more labor. But folks are seeing 450rwhp and very good drivability. More power, less cost (a LOT less if one installs the cam himself). Adding the Haddad Stage II for another $3500 + dyno tune (call it an even $4k)??? Looking at 10k for 500rwhp. That is a LOT of money to put into a 30k car for a solid increase in power.

Brian @ Magnuson remains quite professional in our communications, and notes that they have sold about 130 G8 kits. His view is that most all buyers are very happy. I guess on these forums we are a “more picky” group. It seems that most people who post on these boards find themselves wanting more than the kit supplies stock. Even Brian himself found that to be the case as he had to up his boost as noted here (http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2150).

I understand that Magnuson’s position is making California (and 50-state) street-legal kits. Maybe a “tuner kit” that doesn’t meet the standards could be useful: more boost and power from the start. But that is their decision. It is frustrating because the blower is fantastic and the overall engineering of the kit is very good as well. Other than dealing with the crank pulley installing it at home really isn’t hard. We just want/need more boost!

norm8332
04-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I was a bit disappointed that they changed the pulley to 3.3" myself. At least the hard part is over and it can be tweaked to your liking. The tranny can be tuned fairly easily with HPT and I'd be happy to help with the parms that have to be changed if you need it.

Yes the car is far more powerful than before, but I think the pulley change and deleted injectors were a mistake on their part...Their video still advertises 460rwhp. They failed to mention that the pulley was changed as publicly as they should have and the exact reason as to why it was changed.

But, I'm loving mine..and it will make allot more power when I'm done.

MtbDoc
04-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Norm, I appreciate that (and our private discussions). I agree, this really is a great blower. AND THAT IS WHAT IRRITATES ME: the execution is just not quite there. We'll get there, no worries! It's just too bad that you can't have headers in your place. Down south we don't have such issues.

steined
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is how things improve, constructive feedback and questions.

I went with a kit from Livernois so that I could get the 60lbs injectors and their tune. I didn't want anything more than the stock pulley because I wanted to get used to the car with that level of power, and later add a smaller pulley. I want to let the aftermarket figure out fuel system issues before I go pushing towards 500HP. I don't want to be a trailblazer in that arena! Furthermore, I'd like to see how our trans ACTUALLY holds up with some more miles on higher HP cars.

I decided I wanted to have Livernois install the kit because, frankly, I read your posts about installing it. I suppose I could have done it, but like you found out, there should probably be some revisions in the instructions. Plus I got a dyno tune for my particular car which is always nice. Their price for installation with injectors and tune was VERY competitive vs just the kit itself. We know that the POTENTIAL for these kits are much higher than what we have now. It's just a matter of tuning and a pulley swap to a certain point, then the fuel system (ask Wreckwriter about that!)

Thanks again for sharing your experience. It should only help improve an already great product.

fiveoh
04-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Good writeup. Very informative.

confused2much
04-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the write up. It's obvious that you put a lot of thought and effort in it to convey your experiences without bad mouthing anyone or any products. I enjoy reading informative posts and I hope you get your issues resolved.

GTPprix
04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
What size pullies are you guys running? I cant for the life of me find a displacement/pulley size chart for the 1900 like I found for the 2300 :( My kit does have the 3.3" I'm thinking I'm going to need at least a 3.0 on an LS3.

'02 ws6
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Good writeup, very professional and informative.

Are Livernois and other places offering them with 3.2" pullies or is it an across the board thing now to sell them with 3.3"s?

That is unfortunate they downgraded the pulley without any notification to the public. Maybe with your help and knowledge, they could remedy any future discrepancies the customers may have, especially the installation instructions.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

MtbDoc
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I sent Brian a very detailed list of suggested alterations to the install instructions. I believe that they will be incorporated. Some of it is so simple that I found it irritating. Bolt down the fuel rails & throttle body. Install the blower. Take the bolts out of the fuel rails & throttle body as you cannot reach all of the bolts in the blower...that sort of thing.

Also, to do your own install: BUY A 10mm 'gear wrench' (ratcheting box-end). Save a LOT of misery getting a couple of the blower intake bolts secured. It is really fun running an inch or more of threads turning 1/6th of a turn at a time ;)

Livernois Motorsports
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Good writeup, very professional and informative.

Are Livernois and other places offering them with 3.2" pullies or is it an across the board thing now to sell them with 3.3"s?

I agree, good writeup!

We do include injectors with all of the kits.

All of the kits we have installed here at the shop have had the 3.3" pulley, however we can change the pulley at the customers request.

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

norm8332
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
What size pullies are you guys running? I cant for the life of me find a displacement/pulley size chart for the 1900 like I found for the 2300 :( My kit does have the 3.3" I'm thinking I'm going to need at least a 3.0 on an LS3.

I'm running the 3.3 (not much longer). Some have gone to 3.0 on the l76 with supporting mods. (Intake,LTs,BAP) If you go lower than 3.0 on the GT you starting running out of fuel pressure with the stock fuel pump even with the BAP. Not sure about the GXP but injectors are a must under 3.3" on the GT. (all from info I've read)

MtbDoc
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM

I would agree w/ the 3.0, given that seems to be producing around 500rwhp on the L76. Gotta move more air to make power!

Lgtitan
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Good writeup and thanks for sharing your experience!

So it sounds like at the very minimum we should also have upgraded fuel injectors as well as a better tune when putting the maggie on a stock car, correct? I wonder how that affects the extended warranty.

jbradsh1
04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I think Zosoboogie on this forum was probably the first I know of to get the maggie installed but has since gone to 60# injectors and a different pulley after his initial install, if I'm not mistaken. His car has awesome bottom end & midrange torque (check out his e.t. which if I'm not mistaken was run on the initial install of his Maggie).

MANOFSTEEL69
04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Awesome review and write-up. Thank you.
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

G8GT594
04-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the write. This is for sure going to be my next mod.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

bigwillys58
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
great write up! kinda makes me glad im goin the DIY cam route.