PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Options

jboogie
04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Im looking at lowering my car in a month or 2. I wont have a bunch of money to do it with (just bought CAI, tune, wheels and tires) Please list what (value conscious) options that are available for our cars.

Thanks.

So far i know about:
Pedders coils and the Eibach Pro Kit.

MANOFSTEEL69
04-01-2009, 01:03 PM
That's your best two bets.
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

'02 ws6
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
H&R Springs are good as well. Personally I'd go with the Pedders, but each brand have their place.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

jboogie
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Im familiar with Eibach but dont know jack about pedders. I can get the eibach kit for less than $300 (plus ship) but the pedders will be over $360 (plus ship). Can someone tell me what the benefit of going with pedders over eibach will be?

-Ray-
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I have Pedders lowing springs in my G8. They were designed to work with the other Pedders components available for the G8. I wanted more than just a lower car though. I was looking for some serious cornering performance.
You can't get that with Eibach. Nothing against Eibach, I've had their springs before. Just not on my G8.

jboogie
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
My experience with any lowering spring (that is made for a specific application). Is that they improve cornering just by reducing the cars center of gravity. Some springs will lower more and give camber that will help cornering also but at the same time eat up tires. I am not looking to "Slam" my car but i am putting on 20" wheels and tires (275/30/20 in the rear). Just want a lower stance with good ride quality that wont bottom out with 4 people in the car..

-Ray-
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I have a Pedders street II package. My G8 is far some slammed.

'02 ws6
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Eibach is good, for the visual aspect, but aren't the performance choice I would make. As Ray said, his intentions were cornering, and the Pedders springs work in conjunction with other pieces to drastically improve the cornering ability of the G8s stock hardware. It has the best of both worlds, so Pedders are a win/win.

jboogie
04-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Any opinions on the H&R springs??

locrzn#92
04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I love my eibachs, corners much better then stock and just the right attitude for me.
About $235 from tirerack and $25.00 shipping. Three install and 45 minute alignment. My car rarely wheel hops as it used to on factory springs. Probably the weak link are the struts, just not a top quality strut from down under. That will probably be my next replacement and control arms from bmr.

Crazy Paul
04-02-2009, 02:36 AM
Lovells lowered springs and shortened shocks.

locrzn#92
04-02-2009, 03:13 AM
HSV is right, the Lovells package is one to look at. You get the struts and spring and I think I say them on ebay for about $900 if recall correctly.

Crazy Paul
04-02-2009, 03:27 AM
One example. US$900 with free shipping. (not from me).

LOVELLS-GAS LEGEND FRONT STRUTS-Includes all bolts, bumpstops and boots!!
LOVELLS-GAS LEGEND REAR SHOCKS -Height adjustable, includes bumpstops and boots!!
LOVELLS-X41772 POLY STRUT MOUNTS WITH BEARINGS
HFL-114 SPRINGS 370MM RIDE HEIGHT-180 lb spring rate approximately 30 mm drop when used with LOVELLS Struts
HFL-115 SPRINGS 380 MM RIDE HEIGHT-350 lb spring rate approximately 30 mm drop when used with LOVELLS Shocks

incon3037r
04-02-2009, 05:16 AM
I got the Lovells 2.16" drop (55mm)Slam It Kit for $875 shipped. The kit includes:

LOVELLS-GAS LEGEND FRONT STRUTS-Includes all bolts, bumpstops and boots!!
LOVELLS-GAS LEGEND REAR SHOCKS -Height adjustable, includes bumstops and boots!!
LOVELLS-X41772 POLY STRUT MOUNTS WITH BEARINGS
HFL-114SL SPRINGS 340MM RIDE HEIGHT-180 lb spring rate approximately 55 mm drop when used with LOVELLS Struts
HFL-115SL SPRINGS 350 MM RIDE HEIGHT-350 lb spring rate approximately 55 mm drop when used with LOVELLS Shocks
G8 POLY STRUT MOUNTS WITH BEARINGS

received them yesterday and will be getting them installed today. All parts look great.

jboogie
04-02-2009, 08:04 AM
My car s a daily driver and wont be going to any tracks or anything. All Im looking to do is lower the car and give it a little more confidence in the corners.

If i come into some extra money (dont think that will happen) i will do the pedders street II w/ drop. But right now im broke as a joke.

'02 ws6
04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
In your case jboogie, being on a budget and not planning on hitting the track/strip, I'd say go with the Eibachs. Cheap, will look good, and give some improved cornering.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

incon3037r
04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
A few shots of mine with the Lovell's. Front hasn't completely settled yet.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered005.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered008.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered009.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered017.jpg

RJ'sMgnchrgedG8
04-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Looking good.

mdogg
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Looks really good! I was looking into these too.... seems that the spring rates are considerably lower than the Pedders rates... which would keep things softer which can be good for comfort, but bad when going over severe dips allowing more room for the suspension to move (and potential for rub)

Can you let us know your wheel/tire specs? And if you have any/much rubbing?

incon3037r
04-11-2009, 03:24 AM
My setup is currently

Rims : Ruff Racing R281's both 45mm offset
Front: 20x8.5
Rear : 20x10

Wheels: Yokohams S.drives
Front: 245/35R/20
Rear : 277/30R/20

I initially had rubbing that was pretty bad, so I had the inner rear fenders trimmed down with a grinder. I didn't roll it because I didn't want to take the chance of damaging the paint. Now I have no rubbing.

jboogie
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
whats the advertised drop of your springs? Do they offer a drop not as low as yours? I dont want to bottom out with 2 adults in the back seats. I was leaning toward the H&R's with the 1.4 in front and 1.3 out back.

incon3037r
04-12-2009, 11:17 PM
My setup is a 2.16", but they offer 3/4", 1.18" and 1.57"

jboogie
04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Im interested in the 1.57 coils and some struts and shocks. Where did u purchase from?

menace
04-14-2009, 03:06 AM
Most likely from Kollar

shaunfin24
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
My setup is currently

I initially had rubbing that was pretty bad, so I had the inner rear fenders trimmed down with a grinder. I didn't roll it because I didn't want to take the chance of damaging the paint. Now I have no rubbing.

Did you have rubbing with the 20's on stock suspension or did it start to rub when you dropped it?

How is the ride quality with the ruff racing r281's on stock suspesion? Ive been really interested in these rims so im curious bout them

incon3037r
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Did you have rubbing with the 20's on stock suspension or did it start to rub when you dropped it?

How is the ride quality with the ruff racing r281's on stock suspesion? Ive been really interested in these rims so im curious bout them

I only had rubbing after I lowered it. I thought the ride quality of the rims seemed the same with stock components

shaunfin24
04-22-2009, 01:57 PM
I only had rubbing after I lowered it. I thought the ride quality of the rims seemed the same with stock components

Awesome if you dont mind me asking where did you order them from and how much did u pay all togather? bc lowest i can find with tires is like 1600

Crazy Paul
04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/R1010521.jpg

Lowering Kit = DealLK-Bonkers : US$850 delivered.

Kit pictured above should provide a 1" drop all round on a G8-GT.

G8V8
04-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I am real partial to the Pedders set-up as it is a totally engineered system with system being the operative word.

I had eibach on a 2004 GP and liked them a lot when used with better struts (GXP GP Bilsteins). Without better struts the car was prone to pogo because the spring rates and damper rates didn't match. I have heard of some G8s with the same problem but others did not so I offer it for what it is worth.

The Pedders springs and dampers are matched to work together. If I was replacing the springs I would, and did, do dampers too.

There are probably other spring and damper set-ups that work well but since I have not first hand experience with them, I will not speculate or compare them to my Pedders set-up.

The pedders springs dropped my G8 about .7" in front and about 1.2" in the rear. It took a lot of the factory rake out of it but did not produce the ass-low look. Eibach drops are more the opposite with more in the front than the rear. Eibach seems to balance the front and rear wheel-to-fender lip gap. Some other springs drop about the same distance front and rear to keep the rake as factory. It comes down to personal preference. I like the pedders look best myself. YMMV.

If you are on a tight budget but are most interested in better handling, i strongly suggest starting with rear x-member bushes (single biggest handling improvement, dollar for dollar) followed by diff bushes and front radiur rod bushes with caster washers and lastly, the steering rack bushing (cheap). I THINK this is the Street 1 kit. Ride height will remain the same but the handling inprovement and steering feel will surprise you. The X-member and steering rack bushing are easy DIY with jack stands, a jack and a buddy to help. Diff bush are DIY if you have or can fab up some tools to pull the old bushes out. Not that hard but requires care. The Raduis rod bushes require a BIG MF press and are probably best done by professionals. Caster washers are simple DIY but are done as part of the radius rod replacement anyway

For handling and, in my opinion, looks, next would be the springs and dampers. You would be 80% there and equal or better the handling on many if not most of the best sport sedans on the road.

Next would be an assortment of other suspension bushes followed, lastly by the sway bars. I ran with all this except the bars for a couple of months and it was great. I would say it got me to 90+% of the final outcome. Lean was greatly reduced. Adding the bars reduced lean even further but what I like about the bars is their adjustability. I have a staggered wheel/tire set-up and these tend to induce more understeer. I was able to adjust the sway bars to help counter this effect.

For tire clearance issues, I'm running 19 x 8.5, 40mm OS, front with 245/40-19 RE50A. No issues. In the rear it is 19 x 9.5, 42mm OS with 275/35-19 RE50A. To clear these I had to take about .15- .2" off the rear fender lips. Rolling would have corrected it also. As a side note, the 275/35-19 Pole Position Bridgestones cleared without needing any fender lip alterations because they are norrower than most of the 275/35-19 tires out there.

HTH,
Ed

Ktlplxm
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I think alot of the Pedders Eibach debate is how far the owners are going with the suspension mods. I've noticed the majority of Pedders spring owners add more of the bushings and then compare to Eibachs w stock bushings, which isn't really a fair comparison. I had 2 customers w GTO's one we installed Pedders, the other had Eibachs. No discernible handling difference between the cars. Once the 1 was given the rest of the upgrades however there was.

G8V8
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
My comments were more about the need to match the damping rates to the spring rates to avoid over-sprung/under-damped operation (pogo). I pointed out the lowering differences among the spring makers because some people like one drop. Others like a different drop.

The X-member, diff and radius rod bushings are the best bang for the buck on a G8, even with stock springs. I would do these before springs, be they pedders, eibach, H&R, etc.

I gave a progession of how I would make changes and spend money wisely to get the best incremental handling improvement with Pedders or anybody else you want to use. I do not make any judgements about any suspension parts I have not used.

I know about the eibach springs on my Grand Prix so I reported that to ilustrate the need for matching springs and dampers. It is true with anybody's springs-pedders, eibach, H&R, etc. I really liked the end result of the eibach springs and the GXP Bilstien Damps. They are worlds better than the stock GP or even stock Comp G dampers. If you lower the car, the springs must support the weight of the car with less travel with which to work. Especially near full deflection they have to have higher rates. If your dampers are weak or worn, they will not be able to damp the movement and you may get an under-damped oscillation that will hurt handling and stability.

Chewy
04-23-2009, 01:05 PM
You all should also note that Pedders has different kits out there too. Most go for the Street II or Track II kit whereas I decided on the G8 Touring with OE height springs which are actually a bit lower than stock. This will give me much better handling and will replace the horribly designed front strut bushes and bearings at a fraction of the price of the others.

I also have other Pedders stuff done so this will tie in well with it.

Chris

Kermit
04-24-2009, 01:18 PM
G8V8,
Nice little write up there. :) I have done all the street II bushing installs except the front radius rods. Waiting on detailed instructions for the Xa's struts that I have to do them all at the same time.
I noticed that you said to do the radius rod you need to use a BIG PRESS. I was hoping that I could just use a vice instead. Can I use that instead or should I do a press? I have access to a press if need be but just farther away.

dms
04-29-2009, 07:14 AM
I think alot of the Pedders Eibach debate is how far the owners are going with the suspension mods. I've noticed the majority of Pedders spring owners add more of the bushings and then compare to Eibachs w stock bushings, which isn't really a fair comparison. I had 2 customers w GTO's one we installed Pedders, the other had Eibachs. No discernible handling difference between the cars. Once the 1 was given the rest of the upgrades however there was.

We have a very serious amount of data on GO and other manufacturers with respect to the GTO and the experience factor also passes on to other platforms.

To say there is no difference between the 2 products is showing inexperience. For example, compare the number of usable coils, Our Pedders coils have double the amount of useable coils. I have done a skid pad test some years ago with 10-12 GTO forum owners with me, and the Pedders stuff was higher. Long term durability is better. Throw a couple of your big buddies in the back seat of a GTO with the other coils and you are on the bump stops.

So the 2 brands are not even close.

I have used a lot of eibachs on full size utilities in the past. I have found major height variations from coil to coil. On some of the GM900 installs, the drop caused serious camber problems, where modifications had to be made so so there would be no tire wear issues.

Pedders approaches a platform, with knowledge of good and bad about it, and offers multiple varied solutions. This is why we offer I think 17 different options for the enthusiast.

mike
dms

jboogie
05-04-2009, 11:07 AM
We have a very serious amount of data on GO and other manufacturers with respect to the GTO and the experience factor also passes on to other platforms.

To say there is no difference between the 2 products is showing inexperience. For example, compare the number of usable coils, Our Pedders coils have double the amount of useable coils. I have done a skid pad test some years ago with 10-12 GTO forum owners with me, and the Pedders stuff was higher. Long term durability is better. Throw a couple of your big buddies in the back seat of a GTO with the other coils and you are on the bump stops.

So the 2 brands are not even close.

I have used a lot of eibachs on full size utilities in the past. I have found major height variations from coil to coil. On some of the GM900 installs, the drop caused serious camber problems, where modifications had to be made so so there would be no tire wear issues.

Pedders approaches a platform, with knowledge of good and bad about it, and offers multiple varied solutions. This is why we offer I think 17 different options for the enthusiast.

mike
dms

So what would u recommend to the average Joe that just wants to lower his car and improve handling without going broke??

Chewy
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
So what would u recommend to the average Joe that just wants to lower his car and improve handling without going broke??

Pedders Touring kit with lowered springs...

I paid 1773 total installed.

dms
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM

any package that includes coils and dampers. Give me a budget and I can assist.

The dampers on the G8 leave little to be desired. They are oil based only and offer very little control.

You can see all of our packages on line if you wish. There are a ton of them. Here is the link for our packages for the G8:

G8 Packages on Pedders Merlin store (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/PagesMain/ProductListings.aspx?Level1=PONTIAC&Level2=G8+PACKAGES)

Check them out, then we can chat either openly on the forums or privately, your decision.

thanks
mike
dms

jboogie
05-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I am putting 20" wheels and tires on my car next month. I want to lower it but i dont want rubbing issues. Lets say i have $1000 (just for parts).

The reason i'm hesitant is because it dont know what parts will do what for me. In the past all i have is the springs, some coil overs and better shocks and been happy after. The car is a daily driver that wont be doing any aggressive driving. The lowering is basically for looks.

dms
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I am putting 20" wheels and tires on my car next month. I want to lower it but i dont want rubbing issues. Lets say i have $1000 (just for parts).

The reason i'm hesitant is because it dont know what parts will do what for me. In the past all i have is the springs, some coil overs and better shocks and been happy after. The car is a daily driver that wont be doing any aggressive driving. The lowering is basically for looks.

In terms of rubbing, that will be strictly associated with incorrect wheel offsets.

Here are some examples of some systems for your pleasure:

G8 LWRDTOURING

G8 Touring Plus

Savings of $609.43. Parts must be purchased as a package and no substitutions are allow to receive Package Savings.

Retail $1,099.99EA

Item Code Description Qty Availability
2954 Zeta Front Sport Coil 634mm 2
2955 Zeta Rear Sport Coil 643mm 2
4358 Pont GTO Bump Stop Front 2
5030 Strut Mount Bearing 2
5851 Heavy Duty Strut Mounts 2
9295 Zeta Rear GSR Shock 2
9464L Zeta Front Left GSR Strut 1
9464R Zeta Front Right GSR Strut 1
EP1169 Zeta Rear eXtreme Sub-Frame Co 1
EP6560 Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush 1

This is a great package and will make your G8 handle seriously different.

Here is the next level package. Same coils and dampers, but more bushings:
G8 ST II DROP

G8 Street II with Drop

Savings of $609.91. Parts must be purchased as a package and no substitutions are allow to receive Package Savings.

The Street II includes all the bits in the Street I and adds Pedders Gas SportsRyder dampers at all four wheels. The G8 delivers with oil and air basic dampers from Monroe Australia. They are acceptable units on most cars, but the G8 and you deserve better. Pedders GSRs are nitrogen charged twin tube dampers tuned for greater control. Since the G8 arrives sitting rather tall, we conservatively drop the ride height with slightly higher coils rates. You bought the G8 as a performance sedan and not to be a rock hard suitable only for the track toy. Everything we make for the G8 keeps that in mind. It should drive like a European sedan that cost three times as much -- but keep the passenger compartment comfortable for the longest trip. You'll find you GSR damped, SportsRyder spring and bushed G8 to do that and more. Ride quality is more composed than OE and the handling is excellent.

Retail $1,459.99EA

2954 Zeta Front Sport Coil 634mm 2 Available
2955 Zeta Rear Sport Coil 643mm 2 Available
4358 Pont GTO Bump Stop Front 2 Contact for Availability
4659 G8 Extreme Strut Brace 1 Contact for Availability
5030 Strut Mount Bearing 2 Contact for Availability
5851 Heavy Duty Strut Mounts 2 Contact for Availability
9295 Zeta Rear GSR Shock 2 Available
9464L Zeta Front Left GSR Strut 1 Available
9464R Zeta Front Right GSR Strut 1 Available
EP1167 Zeta Differential Mounts 1 Contact for Availability
EP1169 Zeta Rear eXtreme Sub-Frame Co 1 Available
EP6560 Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush 1 Contact for Availability

Click on image for full view
G8 ST II DROP - (G8 Street II with Drop)

Add our sway bars to either system for another seriously big boost:

429006ADJKIT

Zeta eXtreme Adj Sway Bar Kit

Zeta eXtreme Sway Bar adjustable Kit. Includes 428006-26A, 429006-22A,

Retail $345.21EA

428006-26A Zeta Fnt eXtreme swaybar 26mm 1 Available
429006-20A Zeta rear eXtreme Swaybar 20mm 1 Contact for Availability

With the above, you will not want to go home!!!

So if you have any questions, just ask

thanks
mike
dms

Lgtitan
05-04-2009, 02:44 PM
How much of a drop on the car would you expect with these kits? (English units please for the metrically challenged).

dms
05-04-2009, 07:30 PM
How much of a drop on the car would you expect with these kits? (English units please for the metrically challenged).

From a base model, expect a 20-25mm drop front and a 35-40mm drop rear

mike
dms

Night Train
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I am curious. How many of you with lowered cars have trashed your front air dam parking the car? . My car is "just the right height" to clear the concrete barriers. Around here, you can't avoid them.

I want to lower my car for the handling and looks but I fear trashing the front of the car.. Or rear for that matter, backing into a space.

mtolivecracker
06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
What is the difference between front being lower than back being lower. It seems that Eibach lowers the front more(looks sweet) and Pedders lowers the back more(might be better for bottoming out). Why are these choices made?

dms
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
What is the difference between front being lower than back being lower. It seems that Eibach lowers the front more(looks sweet) and Pedders lowers the back more(might be better for bottoming out). Why are these choices made?

For handlng purposes, we have proven the G8 will handle better with the back being lower than the front. This seriously reduces understeer.

Now on the lowering, you need to be careful. The wheel openings front and rear are not the same. What actually may look like the back end may be lower than the front, it is not. This is due to the openings in the front wheels are larger than the rear. The true test is to measure from the ground to the specific body locations. This is actually more important and you will find Pedders is actually flat. Again, this adds to a superior handling capabilities.

Lets look at Pete's G8. Now it does have a complete Xa Track system on it and has been corner balanced. With 19 inch wheels he is at 610mm front and 595/593 rears. He did turn a 1.05g on a skid pad. 2 other G8s turned a 1.01 and a 1.03 with similiar setups. The differences were primarily tires and wheels. To put this into perspective, a Z06 I believe is at .99gs and a Enzo Ferrari is at 1.01g.

Hope this helps

mike
dms

Justice Pete
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
The key is to match the coils to the dampers and the dampers are among the weakest links in the G8. The OEM dampers are basic oil and air units -- not oil and nitrogen. This choice was made for no other reason than to hit a price point at the expense of ride control. I'll get flamed for this, but any lowered G8 with stock dampers will be compromised. The coils simply can't perform at an optimal level with the OEM basic dampers and the comfort bias they were tuned to. Will it be better than stock for handling, probably. Will it be optimal, no way.

The best solution is to upgrade to a sport tuned damper and a modest coil drop. You'll end up with and OEM quality ride and vastly superior control.

SpeedRacerX
06-25-2009, 08:58 PM
For handlng purposes, we have proven the G8 will handle better with the back being lower than the front. This seriously reduces understeer.

Now on the lowering, you need to be careful. The wheel openings front and rear are not the same. What actually may look like the back end may be lower than the front, it is not. This is due to the openings in the front wheels are larger than the rear. The true test is to measure from the ground to the specific body locations. This is actually more important and you will find Pedders is actually flat. Again, this adds to a superior handling capabilities.

Lets look at Pete's G8. Now it does have a complete Xa Track system on it and has been corner balanced. With 19 inch wheels he is at 610mm front and 595/593 rears. He did turn a 1.05g on a skid pad. 2 other G8s turned a 1.01 and a 1.03 with similiar setups. The differences were primarily tires and wheels. To put this into perspective, a Z06 I believe is at .99gs and a Enzo Ferrari is at 1.01g.

Hope this helps

mike
dms

So, by lowering the back more than the front, are you removing the slope or wedge design across the hood, roof, rear window, trunk, etc? This wedge shape and angle - from what I've been told - helps to keep the G8 glued down at higher speeds. I believe there is a reason for this downward slope in the top line of the car. If you lower the back more than the front, are we messing with the vehicle's intended aerodynamics?

Unless I'm imagining things, my G8 feels tighter to the road at 125 than it does at 60 - I believe the factory slope is pushing the car downward to the ground. Yes/No??

I am not doubting Pedders' ability to perform in almost any measurable handling area and I too am looking soon at doing something for looks and handling to reduce the car's tendency to roll.

Any thoughts on leaving the slope or removing it and "leveling out" the G8?

dms
06-25-2009, 11:15 PM
So, by lowering the back more than the front, are you removing the slope or wedge design across the hood, roof, rear window, trunk, etc? This wedge shape and angle - from what I've been told - helps to keep the G8 glued down at higher speeds. I believe there is a reason for this downward slope in the top line of the car. If you lower the back more than the front, are we messing with the vehicle's intended aerodynamics?

Unless I'm imagining things, my G8 feels tighter to the road at 125 than it does at 60 - I believe the factory slope is pushing the car downward to the ground. Yes/No??

I am not doubting Pedders' ability to perform in almost any measurable handling area and I too am looking soon at doing something for looks and handling to reduce the car's tendency to roll.

Any thoughts on leaving the slope or removing it and "leveling out" the G8?

Hey,

Pete's G8 is as stable as hell at 150mph. Keep in mind Petes car was tested at the settings described under race track conditions.

mike
dms

irnwkrkev
06-26-2009, 01:06 AM
A few before and after pics of Pedders drop springs without shocks or struts. It's just my first step toward pedderizing my gt. ALOT of work though with a screw spring compressor. It'll be easier to do the struts,shocks, and bushings though when I only have to compress each spring once. The ride is great, a little harsher but less of a difference than the 20" wheels made, can't wait to upgrade. I felt the back needed the most lowering but am surprised how such a small drop in the front made such a visual difference.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/irnwkrkev/alesthedealer011.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/irnwkrkev/alesthedealer005.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/irnwkrkev/alesthedealer010-1.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/irnwkrkev/alesthedealer009.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/irnwkrkev/alesthedealer012.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/irnwkrkev/alesthedealer010.jpg

twenty2indubz
09-08-2009, 11:15 AM

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered005.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered008.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered009.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/incon3037r/GT%20lowered/G8lowered017.jpg

I really would like to hear more about ride quality on the Lovell's 55mm drop! Do you bottom out over big bumps, is the ride much stiffer then stock and how much height adjustment is in the rear? Review please!

travis gore
01-26-2010, 04:59 AM
I know this is an old thread,but the info is great,for those(like myself) looking into lowering the car. The search button works great. Thanks for all the info guys:cheers:

r33pwrd
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
So it apears that Pedders does not offer a entry level coilover? So that leaves what Tein? anyone else? It would apear that someone that wants adjustability in height and new shocks / springs this is the way to go?

Crazy Paul
01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
So it apears that Pedders does not offer a entry level coilover? So that leaves what Tein? anyone else?

HSD but they dont have a good reputation.
http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/holden.htm

VegasNate
01-29-2010, 04:48 PM
BC Racing I think has them. They were the company that was going to use my G8 at SEMA.

ULTRA Z
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
what about some one like me that is completely happy with the way the car handles stock and i actually drag race a good bit i daily drive this car and just kinda want it a touch lower i have 18 inch wheels and will stay with them more than likely what would pedders suggest ???

if i get just the pedders springs how much will it lower me ??? not looking to spend more than $500 to do this

and pedders 1+ Gs is freakin great congrats to your product thats nice

ULTRA Z
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
thinkin about it now though changing just the springs will cause more dive motion under hard breaking or will it ???

so i guess if i was to do anything struts and springs is the way to go huh ..... :( errrrr my hobby is to expensive lol

Ktlplxm
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
they would lower it drastically in the rear, brake dive would be less

-Ray-
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
thinkin about it now though changing just the springs will cause more dive motion under hard breaking or will it ???

so i guess if i was to do anything struts and springs is the way to go huh ..... :( errrrr my hobby is to expensive lol

If you even out the rake it'll be okay. If you can swing the struts, do it at the same time.

dms
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
what about some one like me that is completely happy with the way the car handles stock and i actually drag race a good bit i daily drive this car and just kinda want it a touch lower i have 18 inch wheels and will stay with them more than likely what would pedders suggest ???

if i get just the pedders springs how much will it lower me ??? not looking to spend more than $500 to do this

and pedders 1+ Gs is freakin great congrats to your product thats nice

Pedders offers 2 kits:

G8 DROP SPRINGS
1/21/09 MERLIN STORE P/N G8DROPCOILS
This kit is for the enthusiast that is looking for that aggressive look with some improvement on handling. We install our
drop coils on all 4 corners, and perform a custom alignment

Part # Pedders Component Price
2954 Zeta Front Coil Ride Height approx 642mm with 19" Wheels $89.62
2955 Zeta Rear Coil Ride Height: approx 624mm with 19" Wheels $89.62
4306 GTO Strut Clevis Bolt and Nut Package, Single Use $15.00
Pedders Drop Coils Only Parts Total $388.48

and

PEDDERS G8 PERFORMANCE OE COILS
MERLIN STORE P/N IS G8OECOILS
This setup is designed for the G8 owner who is primarily looking to make an improvement in ride but maintain a OEM height. The Pedders coils have 30%+ heigher pregressive spring rates over OEM coils
2956 Zeta Front Coil Ride Height approx 620 mm with 17" wheels $89.62
2957 Zeta Rear Coil Ride Height approx 654mm with 19" Wheels $89.62
Pedders OE Coil Only system Parts Total $388.48
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $8.49
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $379.99

the first system is a 20mm front and a 40MM rear drop.

The second system is close to OE height and is approx a 13mm front and a 10MM rear drop. The advantages are the reductions in height, and the 40-50% increase in coil rates, which will add a substantial amount of handling improvement.

mike
dms

ULTRA Z
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Pedders offers 2 kits:

G8 DROP SPRINGS
1/21/09 MERLIN STORE P/N G8DROPCOILS
This kit is for the enthusiast that is looking for that aggressive look with some improvement on handling. We install our
drop coils on all 4 corners, and perform a custom alignment

Pedders Drop Coils Only Parts Total $388.48

and

PEDDERS G8 PERFORMANCE OE COILS
MERLIN STORE P/N IS G8OECOILS
This setup is designed for the G8 owner who is primarily looking to make an improvement in ride but maintain a OEM height. The Pedders coils have 30%+ heigher pregressive spring rates over OEM coils
Pedders OE Coil Only system Parts Total $388.48
PEDDERS SYSTEM DISCOUNT $8.49
DISCOUNTED PARTS TOTAL $379.99

the first system is a 20mm front and a 40MM rear drop.

The second system is close to OE height and is approx a 13mm front and a 10MM rear drop. The advantages are the reductions in height, and the 40-50% increase in coil rates, which will add a substantial amount of handling improvement.

mike
dms

ok cool well when i decied to make a move i'm just gonna call yall up

ULTRA Z
02-02-2010, 05:08 PM
they would lower it drastically in the rear, brake dive would be less

really well that was my main concern

Ktlplxm
02-04-2010, 07:49 AM
really well that was my main concern

If you are going to go the Pedders route, choose the second set of springs.