PDA

View Full Version : $12,$$$ Worth of Damages...So Far

dodson914
03-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, the wife got into a wreck this past Saturday. Just got a call from the insurance adjuster and so far the damages are a little over $12,000. My wife and the other driver are just fine. They haven't put the car on a rack yet, just lifted it about the height you would to change a tire. So I am pretty interested to see what else is wrong underneath. He said we need about 6k more to total it. I have a feeling that the price he thinks these parts are going to cost are a bit off. We will see though.

Here's some pics... :hang:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc16/dodson914/002-2.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc16/dodson914/003-1.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc16/dodson914/004.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc16/dodson914/005.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc16/dodson914/007-1.jpg

dodson914
03-31-2009, 08:39 AM
I know the they aren't the best pics. Stupid camera phone. :mad:

r33pwrd
03-31-2009, 08:56 AM
ouch! The G8 really looks like she held up well!

dodson914
03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
ouch! The G8 really looks like she held up well!

Yeah, my father-in-law and I were both pretty impressed with how it handled the impact. Bot passenger curtain side airbags deployed, windows didn't break. Pretty impressive considering the Escalade was going well over 50mph.

confused2much
03-31-2009, 09:16 AM
At least your wife was okay. Sorry about the car though.

Steve
03-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Glad to hear your wife's ok ! Always painful to see a g8 wrecked... :(

dodson914
03-31-2009, 09:23 AM
At least your wife was okay. Sorry about the car though.

Thanks, that IS the important thing. Car can always be replaced. Looks like #199 (I think that was the # LOL) will be at a dealer fairly soon. HAHA

MANOFSTEEL69
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Caddy actually looks the worst of the two. Glad your wife was OK.

dodson914
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Caddy actually looks the worst of the two. Glad your wife was OK.

Yeah, it's totaled for sure. His not ours. :mad:

GRRRR8
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I hope works out for the best.

Chewy
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Glad everyone involved is OK. As you said, the car can be replaced or fixed...

EcoBrick Bob
03-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Chris!

Car is a mess... but cars can be replaced. Think what might have happened if your wife had been in an econo box.

Penguin's first estimates were low, so yours will go way up when they get underneath, and inside panels etc.

Glad to see you're posting over here. Think you will like it even more when you get that new Camaro!

BigRob
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
wow, thats amazing. im sure they will total it for sure. positive. i got hit in a similar way just on the bumper portion, and they charged 3k to fix it, and it was ever so slightly damaged. i hope the outcome is what you want, and were all happy to hear that everyone is ok... 50mph... very impressive for the 8

dodson914
03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Chris!

Car is a mess... but cars can be replaced. Think what might have happened if your wife had been in an econo box.

Penguin's first estimates were low, so yours will go way up when they get underneath, and inside panels etc.

Glad to see you're posting over here. Think you will like it even more when you get that new Camaro!

Thanks. I hope that is true once it's on the rack. It would be so much faster and easier for them to cut a check to me. LOL I am definitely bumping my insurance coverage up. I am a bit concerned about ordering the camaro now though. It seems the color I want they haven't started on for the first shipments. I'd hate to order for the second shipment only to have to wait even longer. Right now it looks like June is when we'd have it. Which sucks because we are planning on going to China in June. I am sure I'll get to drive the car home only to leave for the airport the next day and spend a week in China dreaming of the car in the garage. LOL

GrandPrix98GT
03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Glad to see that your wife was ok. Hope everything works out for you.

mika
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Was the accident on 360? I think a buddy of mine saw you on Saturday.:( Sorry to hear about the car, glad to hear that your wife seems ok:).

usf3983
03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
bump up what part of the insurance coverage?

R.Penguin
03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, my father-in-law and I were both pretty impressed with how it handled the impact. Bot passenger curtain side airbags deployed, windows didn't break. Pretty impressive considering the Escalade was going well over 50mph.
How well I know how tough a G8 is. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg156/pingucof/NEW_OLD_.jpg

This one made it to $27K before it was totalled. RIP #748

R.Penguin
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
How well I know how tough a G8 is. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg156/pingucof/NEW_OLD_.jpg

dodson914
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Was the accident on 360? I think a buddy of mine saw you on Saturday.:( Sorry to hear about the car, glad to hear that your wife seems ok:).

It was on E. Broad St. in Mansfield. Close to 360.

bump up what part of the insurance coverage?

Well, we found out that we don't have PIP. Also, thought we didn't have rental but it turns out we do. I don't remember discussing all that stuff with him when I went through it. I am sure I did but it's been quite a while. Lesson learned.

I heard about yours. That sucks. Looks like they are not going to total ours. The body shop tried to help us out and get the price up there but apparently just not enough damage. Which kind of sucks because we have new car replacement so they'd go get us a brand new one exactly the same. (Aside from it being an 888 but whatever) We only have rental coverage for one month. So I am crossing my fingers they get it fixed up by the 29th of April.

wyldman
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Looks pretty minor to me ;-). 'Course I fix that stuff everyday:repair:.
Glad no one was hurt, although I bet they were sore the next day.
Cars are replaceable;people aren't.

usf3983
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, we found out that we don't have PIP. Also, thought we didn't have rental but it turns out we do. I don't remember discussing all that stuff with him when I went through it. I am sure I did but it's been quite a while. Lesson learned.

oh. you're not in a no-fault state (PIP not mandatory). i gotcha. rental is cheap enough.

if you have health insurance, PIP shouldn't be a concern. if you don't, PIP would be good.

gearhead455
03-31-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm glad nobody was hurt,I just don't know if the car will ever be the same though after repairs.

-Ray-
03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm glad you guys are safe. For those that don't know, this G8 was the 1st with SF axle backs. I hope my memory is working. LOL

wyldman
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm glad nobody was hurt,I just don't know if the car will ever be the same though after repairs.

A good competent shop should send it home without you being able to tell it's been fixed. Now that being said too many are in it just for the money. Hopefully you've been sent to a good one. Just look it over real good when you go pick it up and let them know if you have any concerns. Most shops have a lifetime warranty and if they don't, usually the insurance company will stand behind it no matter what.
From what I can tell from the pictures (it's really hard to judge wrecks from pictures) it looks pretty cut and dry. Replace the door and quarter,the outer wheelhouse, maybe some repair on the inner wheelhouse and floor, a rear bumper and new wheel and tire, some new paint and there ya go. Make sure they do a four-wheel alignment to catch any suspension parts that may be bent and be sure and check your headliner as well. Sometimes the side airbags will damage it when they go off. Hopefully your bodyshop will catch all this stuff. I don't think you will have any trouble, but like I said it's hard to judge from a picture.

dodson914
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
A good competent shop should send it home without you being able to tell it's been fixed. Now that being said too many are in it just for the money. Hopefully you've been sent to a good one. Just look it over real good when you go pick it up and let them know if you have any concerns. Most shops have a lifetime warranty and if they don't, usually the insurance company will stand behind it no matter what.
From what I can tell from the pictures (it's really hard to judge wrecks from pictures) it looks pretty cut and dry. Replace the door and quarter,the outer wheelhouse, maybe some repair on the inner wheelhouse and floor, a rear bumper and new wheel and tire, some new paint and there ya go. Make sure they do a four-wheel alignment to catch any suspension parts that may be bent and be sure and check your headliner as well. Sometimes the side airbags will damage it when they go off. Hopefully your bodyshop will catch all this stuff. I don't think you will have any trouble, but like I said it's hard to judge from a picture.

That's actually VERY close to what they are doing. Yeah, the head liner has to be replaced as well as the seatbelts and a bunch of trim pieces on the interior. Still aren't sure about underneath. Those airbags are dangerous LOL. It tore everything up on the inside of the car. The shop we went to is a VERY good shop. We know many people that have used them and they have a very good rep around here.

EC-Ryder
04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Glad everyone’s ok…Another very impressive showing for the G!

Hmm…Maybe that’s why they named it G8?

As in G forces LOL! :ok:

Cheers!

dodson914
04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
So it just keeps getting better. Wife has torn ligaments in her neck and her back and neck are really hurting. And I just got a call from the body shop saying I've got to find a way to get it totaled. There are no quarter panels in the US and said it would be at least 3 months before he got one. So now I have to find another shop to come up with $6000 more in damages to get it totaled. :mad:

DQGTO
04-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Baseball bat/crowbar=$6,000 :devil:

dodson914
04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Body shop called again and found out about more parts and was told that they will probably never see the headliner and seat components needed for the fix. He thinks that maybe if we take it to a dealer they will have better luck acquiring the parts for the fix. My insurance agent has contacted his state claims advocate and was told they have never had a situation like this and they are going to have to call him back with how to handle it.

wyldman
04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Man that sucks. Esp about your wife. I hadn't thought about the parts thing. New car basically (been around less then two years) and made overseas.

A wreck is a lose lose situation. Just ask R.Penguin. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. Used parts would only take you so far. You could always take what the insurance gives you and then try to sell it the way it is.:(

Keep us informed.

dodson914
04-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Man that sucks. Esp about your wife. I hadn't thought about the parts thing. New car basically (been around less then two years) and made overseas.

A wreck is a lose lose situation. Just ask R.Penguin. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. Used parts would only take you so far. You could always take what the insurance gives you and then try to sell it the way it is.:(

Keep us informed.

As of right now All State has towed it to a dealer body shop of my choice. We pretty much has two options now.

A) I can hope that them being a GM dealer can get these parts to magically show up.

B) Hope the dealer's estimate knocks the price up a few thousand more. I take the insurance check and call a car broker to buy as is.

I am leaning towards B. I'll take more of a hit but I'll have the money now. If I go A there is no definitive time frame when it will be fixed. I only have 30 days of rental and should have a new car by June which I planned on trading the G8 in on. As of right now it looks like there is no way anyone can get it fixed to trade in by then. Not sure what they would offer as is. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

MtbDoc
04-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Yuck...so sorry to hear about it. Prayers for your wife's recovery!

wyldman
04-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Wife is gonna kill me but if you go plan B let me know your best offer. Thats a project I could get into.

djchubbs
04-03-2009, 06:07 AM
time for a gxp

Mlozano
04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
DUDE! I had the same accident on the other side and a little further back on the frame, the insurance company and car body shop swore it could be fixed, about $12,000 in damages, about $13,500 after the final breakdown. I even had them send a agent to take a look at it and make sure it's not totaled. I expressed my concerns and but let them go ahead and fix it.

4 months! later i get my car back and it looked great IMO, took it to a nearby bodyshop for a second opinion and they almost shit themselves when they saw it, not only should the car have been totaled from the beginning (structual total loss) but they actually made it worst after fixing it. To make a long story short, 1 lawyer and 2 body shops later, i have a brand new GT and a little extra cash. This was a very reputable bodyshop too.

It doesn't have to be reach that 70 or 80 perecent of the cars value for it to be considered a total loss.

EDIT: you need to let the insurance company take the car to a dealership of "their" choice, if you don't then they aren't held responsible for repairs made. That's the law, at least here in florida.