PDA

View Full Version : HID Problems - Any Suggestions???

confused2much
03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
So I PM'd Charlie for help which has gotten me to the point I am at now, but these HIDs still arent right. I installed a 55W kit with an accessory harness and have quadruple checked all my connections. If I connect both to the accessory harness, they dont ignite. If I connect both to the factory harness, they dont ignite. But here is the ghetto part....if I connect the drivers side to the factory harness and the passenger side to the accessory harness they will ignite every time no problem. DRL fuse is pulled. And I swear everything is hooked up correctly because it can only be connected one way!!! Also when I had them both hooked up through the accessory harness, they wouldnt ignite and after about 5-10 seconds they would blow both 20A fuses. HELP please?!?

-Mat

RxApple
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Did you double check the factory harness + and -? It was backwards from the way the connector was on my kit....

confused2much
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I will check it out tomorrow when I have more light... That could be a possibility.

RxApple
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I will check it out tomorrow when I have more light... That could be a possibility.

If it is the case, you can either use a screwdriver to bypass the one-wayedness of the connectors, or do what I did and cut the wires, cross them, and resplice...

confused2much
03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
How were you able to tell they were backwards?

RxApple
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
How were you able to tell they were backwards?

You need a voltmeter or a tester. I bought an electrical kit from O'Reilly, it had one in there, you put one lead on ground and then test each pin in the connector. It lights up if its + or -, although you must have the ignition on and the light knob all the way clockwise.

confused2much
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
That's what I thought... Thanks a lot. I'll see if that works.

NAiLs
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
My kit from DDM had one that was backwards. A kit that I installed on my '04 GTP also had backwards wires. I'm with these guys and I bet that's what the problem is.

RxApple
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
If you cut and resplice, i'd suggest doing it to the kit, not the car, LOL

confused2much
03-31-2009, 05:00 AM
If you cut and resplice, i'd suggest doing it to the kit, not the car, LOL

Yeah I would do it to the kit before the car...lol. I'll have to see if thats the problem today and I will post back with my findings later tonight. Thanks.

Snakey
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
I had a similar problem and ended up fixing it by plugging in the passenger side (bulb connection inside the cover) backwards. There is a post and slot to line up and if you turn the connector of one to be the opposite, it worked just fine! This is for a DDM 55W 6000k system with the accesory harness as well.

BobtheMonkee
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
+1

Had the same issue, and same fix...blew 3 fuses in the process. I also had an issue where half of the time my passenger side light would not ignite. I did some fiddling with the wires and re-installed the DRL fuse and it was fixed.

I still think the DRL thing is a myth ;)

confused2much
04-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Well, I had the + and - wires backwards on my harness, just like everyone had suggested. I'm supprised so many people are getting these with the same issues. You would think they would fix a problem like that. Thanks everyone for the help on where to start looking!

sfedenis
03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, i had the same problem with mine being backwards as well. Anyone running into problems with their headlights (lowbeams) flickering on and off? Any solutions and reasoning to what is causing this?