PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Well Sub System

majesticix
03-28-2009, 06:33 PM
After driving around for almost a year now with my old 12" sub sitting in the trunk and seeing what a few others here have done, I decided to move my sub to the wheel well since it's basically dead space. Just finished up the install this afternoon and wanted to share what I did for relatively cheap (assuming you already have a sub and amp)

I cut out a 27" diameter 1/2" MDF board for my base to fit in the wheel well. This gives you about 1-2" of clearance beneath for your wires and such. You could cut out a smaller circle and tuck it lower, but I needed the room to fit my amp and box. Built a 14x14x8" box 1/2" MDF to fit my 12" sub, 6" deep (probably should have used 3/4" but whatever, I had 1/2"). Bought some fleece material at Joann Fabric (didn't feel like waiting for automotive carpeting online, and this stuff is a pretty darn close match surprisingly).

After installing the system and playing the sub in my wheel well, I noticed considerable vibration in the wheel well housing (outside the car, inside the cabin its quiet) which had to be addressed. Again, I didn't really want to wait around and order a Dynamat product online...and it is expensive. Did some research and bought some Quick-Roof from Home Depot for $15 a roll (6" x 25') (needed just over a roll, but you could probably do the whole well with one roll...this was my first time so my wrapping skills aren't perfected).

This was the part I was a bit hesitant about, but the stuff worked beautifully. I can imagine working with it in 90 degree whether might be difficult, but when it is 60...it cuts easy and goes in without any problems...and it works wonders. There is a slight odor when you sniff it, so you may not want to wrap you whole car in this stuff...but I can't smell it unless I shove my head in the wheel well and take a big whiff. I hear this will dissipate though, so I'm not concerned.

The results...surprisingly better bass response then when I had it just sitting in my trunk. I thought for sure I would lose some, but quite the opposite. I even placed my new box in the same fashion as my prior setup which sounded about the same...perhaps a hair quieter. In the wheel well though it pounds well. Anyways, attached are some pics. Here is what I spent:

$20 4x8' 1/2" MDF - Home Depot
$10 ($5/yard) charcoal fleece "carpeting" - JoAnn Fabric
$5 Polyfil 16oz - JoAnn Fabric
$15 a roll of Quick Roof - Home Depot (1 roll should do it...might need 2)

I already had my component supplies, but I used the cheap Walmart Amp kit & Line-out converter, 12V low voltage trigger for remote lead, 12" Polk db Sub, Rockford Power 450 amp.

The best part about it: my trunk space is free, I get BETTER bass response, and I still have room for my emergency kit and the air pump that came with the car. And I can now quickly pull the sub out when I hit the drag strip. A thing of beauty!

http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3325&stc=1&d=1238291636
http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3326&stc=1&d=1238291647
http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3327&stc=1&d=1238291659
http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3328&stc=1&d=1238291666

jboogie
03-28-2009, 06:41 PM
That's pretty cool! Do u put the wheel well cover back in there or are u riding with it like that?

-Ray-
03-29-2009, 03:24 AM
:ttiwwp:

Devilish34
03-29-2009, 04:07 AM
Well theres a simple way to reduce drone

majesticix
03-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Wheel well cover goes right back on...it's like there is nothing in there...but surprise surprise...or put a balloon on the cover and watch it hop up and down haha. Sounds great and no heat issues.

G8H8
03-29-2009, 01:19 PM
What is the box specs? Just so i can get an idea of internal airspace!!!!

majesticix
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Box is 14" X 14" X 8"...I used 1/2" MDF. The cylinder base is 27" diameter, 1/2" MDF. There is about 1-2" of clearance beneath the base (not including the wheel well crevices which are even deeper). You could chop down the diameter to have it fit deeper, but I needed that amount of space to fit both the box and mount the amp. My sub called for I believe .88 cubic feet (couldn't get exact cause its old, but the Polk 12 db series sub calls for that size)...I figured this was fairly close to that. I stuffed some Polyfil in it, needed very little. Had it packed with a few ounces, but sounded better with most of it removed for my application. For reference my sub is 6" deep.

Sounds really good. I can definitely *feel* it more in the seats than my prior setup. I did see some reduced bass though when I shoved my hockey equipment in the trunk (which usually had little effect when my sub was sitting in the trunk). But for normal stuff in the trunk like groceries there appeared to be no impact on the bass. Definitely a huge improvement over the sub sitting in the trunk. Good luck on the install.

If anyone is near the Rochester, NY area and would like to try this out, free supplies. I've got plenty of leftover MDF, "carpeting", Adhesive Spray and Polyfil. Hell, I actually bought a prefab box that I was going to use but decided to build mine. You can have it for a few bucks (this is the box: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2_Single+12-+Angled+Truck+or+Hatchback+Box+-12ANTCM-.html). Feel free to PM me if interested.

ULTRA Z
04-08-2010, 08:57 PM
could you reload the pics please

fiveoh
04-09-2010, 05:15 AM
could you reload the pics please

+1 pretty please. :)