PDA

View Full Version : 04 Grand Am wheel bearing?

J Wikoff
03-28-2009, 11:06 AM
My wife's car started making a vibratey/grindy sound that increases with speed. It gets more grindy when making right hand curves. If I take the right curve hard, the extra grindiness goes away. It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side.

My thoughts are a wheel bearing.

I put it up on jacks. There is no play up down left or right. The only things I hear when I spin the tires is slight brakes rubbing and gear slop when I start to spin the opposite direction.

And I can actually steer the wheels by grabbing them and pushing/pulling. When they get near the limits, the suspension creaks. Appearantly there is no steering lock when it's in park.

Thoughts?

GRRRR8
03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
It has a bad hub bearing assembly.

J Wikoff
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I've got everything I need to do the bearings (both fronts) except one axle nut. I could only find one in the area. Another is on order.

It's been suggested that a CV joint could be to blame... but I don't know about that.

GRRRR8
03-28-2009, 11:36 AM
A CV joint makes a clicking noise when turning. Yours changes pitch when you turn the wheel right to left and always makes noise when going straight, thats a bearing.

J Wikoff
03-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I replaced the right side bearing. The noise is gone. I'm trying to decide if I should do the driver side just becuase.

GRRRR8
03-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I replaced the right side bearing. The noise is gone. I'm trying to decide if I should do the driver side just becuase.

I never replace just because unless its a customer request. I have replaced 1 and 100,000 miles later the other is still going!

Blackrider
03-28-2009, 08:54 PM
You're better of doing both, N Bodys had a problem with wheel bearings!

J Wikoff
03-28-2009, 09:32 PM
The more i think about it, when it goes bad, it'll still work, just make some noise for a few days or so. I can spend a hundred bucks later.

GRRRR8
03-29-2009, 04:58 AM
The more i think about it, when it goes bad, it'll still work, just make some noise for a few days or so. I can spend a hundred bucks later.

Exactly. :)

GM_Fan
03-29-2009, 05:33 AM
I had to replace one on my Grand Am I think an ABS sensor was involved as well. It wasn't too expensive. I just noticed the other day the wife's Malibu sounds like it has a similar problem.

GRRRR8
03-29-2009, 05:39 AM
GM cars/trucks ususally have the ABS sensor and wiring harness incorporated into the hub bearing assembly.

DQGTO
03-29-2009, 07:21 AM
ive had 2 grand ams (97, 98) and a 98 Grand Prix and my dads old car which is now my sisters is a 98 Bonneville and ALL of them had the ABS lights on...idk why, the ABS on all still worked too. The sensors on these must be very very weak. Sorry to get slightly off topic.