PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel / shifter vibration, Drone? (not AFM)

pokey
03-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Looking for some troubleshooting help.

I have a light vibration in my steering wheel, shifter, floor etc. when car is in gear from stopped to maybe 40 mph. Most noticeable under light acceleration. If I shift into neutral, moving or stopped it disappears.

This started after my dealer completed TSB #4989 for driveline noise/boom. I've searched and looked through every thread on vibration and was unable to locate a similar case, except maybe a "drone." Could this be a "drone" I'm feeling?

I think the dealer had to remove the exhaust and some heat shields to complete the TSB. Could they have put something back together wrong? I did notice one of my heat shields hanging oddly on the passenger side but I have not had a chance to get under the car to take a look.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Pokey

MANOFSTEEL69
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
If none of this existed prior to the dealer visit, and you haven't changed anything since....Take it back in and bitch. Obviously something on their end wasn't done right.

DaMaine1
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree. Obviously step 1 made the problem worse so now they need to perform step 2 which is to re-index the drive shaft. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not It'll be new drive shaft time. Good luck.

pokey
03-29-2009, 07:13 AM
In some case I'm starting to think about upgrading with aftermarket components and bypassing the dealer all together. I don't know if fighting with the dealer for the same old vanilla parts is worth the effort.

-Ray-
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with the others. There is something wrong. Since it seems to be driveline related, make the dealership responsible.

gearhead455
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree with the others,we payed a lot of money for our cars,there is no reason not to go back to the dealer and get it fixed right. My father told me a long time ago....the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!! capeche?

pokey
03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Capeche!

The waiting is driving me nuts, I was going to wait until my suspension parts come in (a different fix). I will be pretty ticked by the time they get there.

The waiting has allowed me to diagnose the issue, to reproduce for them. The vibration seems to be tied to engine RPM, Most noticeable from 1,000 - 1,500 RPM.

pokey
04-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Let's get ready to rummmmmmblllllle!! :boxing:

Car goes in Monday. Seems to be getting a little worse, I now feel it in neutral when stopped also.

I'm hopping it is just bad enough I won't have a hard time getting the dealer to admit they feel it too. My girlfriend finally noticed, so maybe there is hope? :)

pokey
04-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Looking for some troubleshooting help.

I have a light vibration in my steering wheel, shifter, floor etc. when car is in gear from stopped to maybe 40 mph. Most noticeable under light acceleration. If I shift into neutral, moving or stopped it disappears.

This started after my dealer completed TSB #4989 for driveline noise/boom. I've searched and looked through every thread on vibration and was unable to locate a similar case, except maybe a "drone." Could this be a "drone" I'm feeling?

I think the dealer had to remove the exhaust and some heat shields to complete the TSB. Could they have put something back together wrong? I did notice one of my heat shields hanging oddly on the passenger side but I have not had a chance to get under the car to take a look.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Pokey

Just got back from the dealer.

I took the Service Tech for a ride. We both could feel my vibration. So we took a new one off the lot for a ride, and that one was worse! :eek:

I'm starting to think this is normal? If anyone has similar on a stock GT please let me know so I don't loose my mind. :wacko:

Here's what I found:

- Stop to ~40mph (any faster and too much crap going on to feel it)
- light acceleration
- 1,000 - 1,500 rpm
- Feel it in the shifter, steering, (sometimes floor, seat)
- Not AFM
- Seemed to get better with Transmission warm/HOT

silver6.0L
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Just got back from the dealer.

I took the Service Tech for a ride. We both could feel my vibration. So we took a new one off the lot for a ride, and that one was worse! :eek:

I'm starting to think this is normal? If anyone has similar on a stock GT please let me know so I don't loose my mind. :wacko:

Here's what I found:

- Stop to ~40mph (any faster and too much crap going on to feel it)
- light acceleration
- 1,000 - 1,500 rpm
- Feel it in the shifter, steering, (sometimes floor, seat)
- Not AFM
- Seemed to get better with Transmission warm/HOT

I have a problem like yours to mine seems to be the crappy 18"RSA's. When the tires are cold the steering wheel vibrates. When the tires get warm the vibration goes away but when you park for awhile and go back the vibration may be there again but not all the time. Sometimes the vibration is gone and sometimes its there. My dealer also took a new GT out and the problem was worse on that one to. The dealer balanced the tires but that didn't seem to help. They think that the RSA's cold/flat spot easy. They say common problem with the G8. Now that its getting warmer might try to get them to look at this more or might wait to get new tires to see if that fixes the problem as long as it does not get worse.

BigV8
04-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I have something like yours.Took it in for steering wheel shake, the tech drove it and said it needed the driveline tsb,after I got it back got a vibration in the wheel,seat that was not there before,, like the afm vib but all the time.Taking it in monday for roadforce balance, we'll see what happens

pokey
04-18-2009, 06:32 AM
I have something like yours.Took it in for steering wheel shake, the tech drove it and said it needed the driveline tsb,after I got it back got a vibration in the wheel,seat that was not there before,, like the afm vib but all the time.Taking it in monday for roadforce balance, we'll see what happens

Hi BigV8,

Any update from your visit?

Thanks..

mikesgt
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
It is a common problem I have seen among several owners. Mine does it at 35-37 and 47-50. Hard tight vibration through the floor, seat and wheel. It sucks, but I doubt they can fix it. Noone so far has been able to correct it.

BigV8
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi BigV8,

Any update from your visit? Thanks..

Yea they found one tire within limits on the roadforce balance but higher than the rest so they fixed that and the other was 1/2 oz off on the balance. Seemed ok at the time but got a very slight steering shake again at 60+mph the next day. Have not drove it last 5 days, swiched cars. Drive tomorrow and see what happens. the tech seems to think the sport suspension on these cars are touchy. Does'nt seem to have the seat/afm type vib as before

BigV8
04-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Update. Drove it work this morning and still have the shaking wheel and it seems to quite going up and down the highway grades like the load on the drivetrain changing causing it to come and go. I'll take it back in next week and see what happens.

polo
01-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Update. Drove it work this morning and still have the shaking wheel and it seems to quite going up and down the highway grades like the load on the drivetrain changing causing it to come and go. I'll take it back in next week and see what happens.

Jerry, did this ever get resolved?

travis gore
01-30-2011, 02:10 AM
when Ray and I were at the IMIS show we talked to the company doing the drive shaft warranty work for GM. I think they said they were replacing the bushing in the front and then balancing the driveshaft. They also said that it was "warranty only "because GM was hording the bushing. I will look through my business cards for the name today.

GT Drew
07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Which bushings? The motor mounts or the radius rods.

pokey
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I believe travis was referring to a bushing which mounts between the drive shaft and either the transmission or diff.

Update on my issue: The new 09.5 motor mounts "masked" my vibrations to satisfaction.

pokey
02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd update this one.

The new motor mounts took care of most my engine vibrations but I always had the drive line vibration from the drive shaft / coupler / etc.

My last dealer visit last week they balanced my tires and VERY CONFIDENTLY told me that was all I needed. ( I knew better ) So I still have it and now that my tires are nice and smooth running again I can feel the rhythmic vibration even better now. Ironically funny?

So I contemplated paying and fixing myself but screw that! I'm fighting them until this gets fixed! Monday the Service Manager is calling me and either I'll be dropping the car back off or calling Pontiac Customer Care.

I'll update this thread to my progress so hopeful it can help someone else also.

Pokey

pokey
02-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Friday - the Service Manager took a ride with me and verified my issue. (crazy after 3 years of service visits this is the first time a service manager or writer rode with me) He is going to do some research and will contact me. Fingers crossed I can get this fixed.

pokey
03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I've continued (postings) my experience with this issue under the TSB http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=13525&page=4&p=441352#post441352