PDA

View Full Version : Vararam intake

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Brand: Vararam Industries
Price: $329.95 + shipping
Purchased From: (URL) Group buy thread (http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3301)
Installation: (Use easy, moderate, involved, or difficult) Moderate
Installation Time: Approx. 1 hour (removing other intake also)
Any Installation Tips You Have: (optional) My install thread here (http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4973)

Quality of Part: (rate 1-10) 8 (see remarks below
Product Performance: (rate 1-10) 10
Would you Recommend to Others: Only if you want the best performance out of your G8.

Any Other Comments:

The reason I gave it an 8 was for a couple of reasons. My clamps don't seem to hold it closed tight enough. Also, my snorkel collapsed slightly because I initially ran the wiring harness above the intake, even though the instructions said to run it below. Wrong photo was in that section of the instructions, and apparently I can't read.
I talked to Patrick on the phone, and both situations are corrected on the next batch of intakes being sent out. I sent Vararam my photo of the wiring harness routed underneath.
I am being shipped a new intake even after I told Patrick I was satisfied with mine. Whatever information I've read about people posting that Vararam wouldn't work with the customer is wrong. They are absolutely committed to making the best product out there!
I made a run yesterday with my G8, and it pulled so hard, I was getting some pretty hard wheel hop. That hasn't happened to me since my G8 was Pedderized.
I will update this as I receive new parts.

Devilish34
03-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Do you have dyno and track number pre vararam to compare when ever you get to do either again? And thanks for your review

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 05:06 AM
At Livernois I dynoed 362 HP, 368 Torque. I'll put up 1/4 miles times soon!

Blackdevil77
03-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I want this intake. BAD! lol. Which vendor carries this? How much of a difference is there between this and the roto-fab?

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 05:29 AM
I want this intake. BAD! lol. Which vendor carries this? How much of a difference is there between this and the roto-fab?

Are you kidding me?

Purchased From: (URL) Group buy thread (http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3301)

Blackdevil77
03-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Are you kidding me?

What you mean am I kidding? The group buy deal is over isn't it? I can't buy it right now, in the near future, thats why I asked for a vendor. I didn't ask where you bought it, I asked were I can buy it.

r33pwrd
03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
im sure when your ready there will be multiple vendors selling in on this forum.

good right up and very good dyno numbers!

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
What you mean am I kidding? The group buy deal is over isn't it? I can't buy it right now, in the near future, thats why I asked for a vendor. I didn't ask where you bought it, I asked were I can buy it.

Mario, there aren't any vendors selling it right now. Only the manufacturer. No one has stated the Group buy was over.

Blackdevil77
03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Mario, there aren't any vendors selling it right now. Only the manufacturer. No one has stated the Group buy was over.

ok thats all I was asking Ray. I may use the group buy if its still goin on when im ready

norm8332
03-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Nice review.

Hmmmm..I wonder if this can be made to work with the magnacharger...and if it will flow enough.

Edit: Naw, I forgot you have to tilt the radiator.

GRRRR8
03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Flow should not be a issue. Vararam said it would support over 600 HP easily! I will install mine tomorrow so Kirk can do my final tuning.

KaheeNalu
03-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Does Kirk have an ECM tune for the Vararam unit yet or will you be the first?

-Ray-
03-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Does Kirk have an ECM tune for the Vararam unit yet or will you be the first?

No, I won't be the 1st. I missed the 1st set of cables, and am waiting for the next shipment.
I believe they will finish the Vararam tuning today.

blackbirdws6
03-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Also, my snorkel collapsed slightly because I initially ran the wiring harness above the intake, even though the instructions said to run it below. Wrong photo was in that section of the instructions, and apparently I can't read.

So the proper way to route the wiring harness is below the intake? The pre-production pics showed it being above no?

-Ray-
03-29-2009, 04:48 AM
So the proper way to route the wiring harness is below the intake? The pre-production pics showed it being above no?

Correct. There are 4 white clips holding the wiring harness in. I also had 2 plastic wraps as well. I cut the 2 black plastic wraps with my diagonal cutters. Everything slid under the black plastic rad support without any trouble.

Devilish34
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Best current deal I found

http://marylandspeed.com/vararam-ram-air-intake-20082009-pontiac-g8-gt-gxp-vr-g8-ramair-p-2289.html

WIKDWS6
06-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Nice deal

swimman
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Maryland Speed is the best price I could find. How does this intake work without a tune (looking to get Superchips at some point which I hear will have a tune supporting the Vararam)?

08G8V8
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Maryland Speed is the best price I could find. How does this intake work without a tune (looking to get Superchips at some point which I hear will have a tune supporting the Vararam)?

It's actually cheaper than the group buy was since the shipping is free. It's a very good deal.

swimman
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I think next week I'm going to order if I can finally rule out the NEP intake.