PDA

View Full Version : Homelink in visor--DONE

kjac081
03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
This turned out pretty good considering there is no clear write up on it.
I can not get you there step by step, so be creative.
Some hints: On the right side(when looking at it from your seat), the fabric is just tucked into the plastic of the visor.

The inner part of the mirror will pop out. The outer shell is plastic welded to the visor, do NOT try to remove.

The clearance is really tight as you can see due to the width of the mirror assembly. This isnt the best spot for it, but it did work. I felt it was the best option since you can get the fabric off this end easy. The other ends are sewn.

You can see how I wired it. It worked, but the wires made it difficult to reassemble the mirror perfect. The door opens and shuts fine, but isnt quite as smooth. If I did it again, i might take some more time and try to route the wires another way.

When done, pull the fabric back over the visor tight, and tuck it back into the slot with a credit card, or something else thin and not sharp. The fabric is very stretchy, just keep stretching and tucking till satisfied.

Note that inside the visor, both wires are red. The little one at the top is ground. The way I wired it, it would only come on if i opened the mirror door, ie, light on. :oops:
The little red wire connects to a piece of metal, that contacts the upper bar when the door is open. So, I had to redo it and solder the wire directly to the little red factory wire.

rlrayl11
03-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice, I like that one a little better than the one that is on the lower part of the dash. This way looks a lot more factory. I was thinking about this same thing the other day, but I was thinking of doing it on the left side of the mirror instead of the right. Anyway, great job!

Wag 42
03-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Great job-looks really nice!

kjac081
03-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Nice, I like that one a little better than the one that is on the lower part of the dash. This way looks a lot more factory. I was thinking about this same thing the other day, but I was thinking of doing it on the left side of the mirror instead of the right. Anyway, great job!

thanks! There might be a tad more room on the left side, but I think the only way you will get it on that side is if you cut the sewn seams, and re-sew it somehow. Good luck!

Mav
03-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Sweet!

Do you use it more than just a garage opener? I cant wait to get a house just for this... program it up to the lights and what-not.

Lgtitan
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Nice job! Just ordered my homelink controller for the 'bay and am looking forward to doing this mod.

Torqued
03-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Is there any particular brand of a Homelink transmitter to get or avoid? Or are they generic?

kjac081
03-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Is there any particular brand of a Homelink transmitter to get or avoid? Or are they generic?

I think they are all made by Homelink. This is the one I got
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230332284290&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

there are alot on Ebay, all different colors. If you cant find black, you could always paint the bezel

IXLR8
03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Really, really nice. I aborted a project to put one in my headliner, but still have the controller. This looks like a no brainer, I will follow your lead.

Thanks for the great pics!

DAVISBS
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I did the allmost same thing. only differance I hot glued the transmitter into the hole I cut in the visor.Plus I started with a salvage yard G8 visor and a black homelink visor from a Lincoln LS.Paid $ 15 for the pair.I still have my unmolested G8 original visor.I also installed the LS antanna in the visor .It will open the door before I even before you turn off the street.A good 75 ft away.My clip on had to be within 10 ft to work.most importantly .....The wife loves it.

ETIDMotorsports
04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
How in the world did you get the fabric off of the visor. I have it untucked but am not sure how to remove it like you did?

ETIDMotorsports
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Well 5 hours later and finally installed. Thanks for the write up as it helped very much. The one thing that I ran into was that on my homelink it had white and black wires coming from it. Against all common sense (in my opinion) the black wire was the positive, go figure.

kjac081
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Well 5 hours later and finally installed. Thanks for the write up as it helped very much. The one thing that I ran into was that on my homelink it had white and black wires coming from it. Against all common sense (in my opinion) the black wire was the positive, go figure.

Sorry, I should have posted that i checked polarity before assembly.

And i guess you figured it out, but the fabric will not come off completely. After you untuck the end, you can slide it down just enough.

Tom's G8GT
04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Good job on your mod. I just got mine done yesterday. I ordered a homelink and a visor off of ebay. I was afraid of ruining my orginal visor.

r1owner
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
How did you get the button cover off?

I've got the unit open, but it looks like that cover was never meant to be removed.

Lgtitan
04-17-2009, 07:49 AM
How did you get the button cover off?

I've got the unit open, but it looks like that cover was never meant to be removed.

Do you mean the light/mirror on the visor or the buttons on the homelink module?

I did mine a little different as I cut the visor on the same side as the mirror not the other side. Make sure everything is snug with the module before you hot glue.

Also route the top wire thru the top of the visor where the OEM wires go thru. This will prevent any issues with open/close of the mirror.

Hot glue everything in place once the wiring has been soldered, module set and everything tested. I also used electrical tape once everything was hot glued to smooth it out and not feel as many bumps when the fabric is pulled over.

Works like a charm!

r1owner
04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
No sorry, I meant the 3 button trim piece on the homelink unit itself. I can see two posts in there, but I can't seem to get them out.

Lgtitan
04-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Gotcha. You will need to pull it out with some force but try not to over do it or you will break those two posts. I used a flathead screwdrive wedged between the module and buttons and it popped off. Try one end at a time.

r1owner
04-18-2009, 12:08 PM
OK, sorry for the stupid question, but how do you get the visor out? I took the torx outta the plate by the hinge and dropped the visor, but I was hoping for a connector or something.

r1owner
04-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Did you guys end up cutting the original wires where it comes out of the roof to get the visor out of the car?

kjac081
04-19-2009, 12:43 PM
nope, that harness is two parts. it has a a really small clip, the kind that really hurts if you use your finger nails :). I used a small flat head to pull apart the clip , and then pulled them apart at the same time.

r1owner
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info? I can't see any clip anywhere! Is it behind the elbow somewhere?

Nevermind... I found it... thanks for the help everyone!

Snakey
05-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Can anyone tell me which side is positive on the wires coming off the homelink system? Mine has a black and orange wire coming off the harness. The black wire is on the left side of the harness when looking at the controller with the button side down. After reading that the black logic did not work, i want to make sure I do this right the first time!

Thanks for the help in advance!

r1owner
05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Trial and error.... I ran some wires from my battery to see which was which. It won't hurt if you hook them up wrong.... it just won't work.

Snakey
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Thats how I ended up doing it. Just miffed that I soldered everything up and ended up needing to switch it around. Good thing I have another visor on the way since this one ended up getting a little too hot when soldering and now the arm that grounds for the lights to come on only stays in the on position. Anyone have any tips for not melting the plastic but yet getting a goood solder joint?

DaMaine1
05-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Big ups to kjac081 :theman:. I just finished my install. If it wasn't for your info on the cover being tucked I would never have attempted to put it in the visor. BTW I ended up soldering the wires backward :spank: and had to redo them but other than that your info was on point. :D

r1owner
05-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I had to do a lot of uh... massaging to get that unit to fit in there though.... I know I said to myself a couple of times how it wasn't worth it...

Snakey
05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I've got another visor i'm going to redo my installation by cutting out the side that is on the mirror so that the exposed side is completly smooth. My current visor looks fine to most, i'm just stupidly OCD about my car and details.

kjac081
05-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, it really isnt designed for it, probably why it didnt get one from the factory. The thickness was perfect, just it needed about another .5" one either side of the mirror.

Adam
06-28-2009, 09:24 AM
what is the difference between a rolling and a non rolling code homelink unit?

r1owner
06-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Certain garage door openers change the code to open them after each use or "rolling code". Versus, the same code sent each time.

If your garage door opener is of this type, you'll need a rolling code type homelink unit.

Adam
06-29-2009, 07:26 AM
I bought my house last year brand new and the builder had used the quiet Sears non chain driven unit. Not sure how to find out if it is rolling or non rolling. We have the exterior code deal right outside the garage door that works like a remote. My '07 Jag X-Type has home link and it is built in and it works fine, but I can only assume it has a rolling code?

r1owner
06-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Look in the manual. I would assume it prolly does.

Old Cop
11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Can anyone tell me which side is positive on the wires coming off the homelink system? Mine has a black and orange wire coming off the harness. The black wire is on the left side of the harness when looking at the controller with the button side down. After reading that the black logic did not work, i want to make sure I do this right the first time!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Just received my Homelink in the mail. Any chance saving me some trial and error as far as wiring. Also, what did you all do with the metal strip antenna?

Thanks for the help guys!

Oldcop

Old Cop
11-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Big ups to kjac081 :theman:. I just finished my install. If it wasn't for your info on the cover being tucked I would never have attempted to put it in the visor. BTW I ended up soldering the wires backward :spank: and had to redo them but other than that your info was on point. :D

Kind of old and not real smart, is the fabric tucked in on one end?

Thanks,

OldCop

Snakey
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes the fabric is tucked into the one end. Wiring for me was T & E. You don't have to make a permanent connection until you know for sure. I'd go pull mine down to try and help you out but I'm a little lazy tonight!

Imalabil
11-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Just got my rolling code unit done yesterday. Looks and works great, but I didn't extpect that the case doesn't fit completely flush, so there's a bit of a bump but it's not too noticeable. The black fabric hides it pretty well.
Bill

Snakey
11-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Just got my rolling code unit done yesterday. Looks and works great, but I didn't extpect that the case doesn't fit completely flush, so there's a bit of a bump but it's not too noticeable. The black fabric hides it pretty well.
Bill

I had the same issue with mine. I've got a spare visor to try and cut the other side (against roof when closed) to hopefully not have any bump and still work perfectly. Anyone have any doubts?

DZG8GT
12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Well been reading this post and decided to try another angle. I want to try to install a transmitter on the overhead console between the dome light and sunglass holder. I have on hand a homelink controller from a cadillac. Its black and rectangular about 1/2"x 2". I will have to take console off and size it up. Easier to cut plastic than deal with fabric for me. it is a rolling code one but does not have an anntenna that I can see. Any thoughts??

rmcrom
12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Mine didn't have an antenna either. They must be internal.

Todasi
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Well been reading this post and decided to try another angle. I want to try to install a transmitter on the overhead console between the dome light and sunglass holder. I have on hand a homelink controller from a cadillac. Its black and rectangular about 1/2"x 2". I will have to take console off and size it up. Easier to cut plastic than deal with fabric for me. it is a rolling code one but does not have an anntenna that I can see. Any thoughts??

So, how did it go? Any pictures?

Snakey
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
If anyone wants a homelink installed in their visor and doesn't want to take on the challenge, I am offering my services for installation. I can source the visor and homelink or you can provide me the parts and I'll assemble them for you. I just finished one for a GRRRR8 member and here's the feed back he left.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=13851

Any interest feel free to contact me!

Thanks!

Ryan

P.S. Mods, if this is a problem with me offering this please let me know. Thanks!

chuckwi11
01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
PM sent...

Snakey
01-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Here's pictures of Chuck's finished product!

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/ryandsherwood/G8%20Photos/Homelink%20Visor/036.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/ryandsherwood/G8%20Photos/Homelink%20Visor/026-1.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/ryandsherwood/G8%20Photos/Homelink%20Visor/022.jpg

chuckwi11
01-31-2010, 05:39 AM
This looks great Ryan, can't wait to get the visor installed. This is one of those things that GM should have included with the car.