PDA

View Full Version : Question for Maggie Users

Lgtitan
03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I live in so-cal and just got a brand spanking new '09 G8 GT and am considering a few mods including adding the 1900. I have a few questions:

1. How much more % reduced engine or tranny life would I expect from adding to a stock engine?
2. Noise differences from stock at idle, low rpms and WOT?
3. Other than tune, anything other mod needs to be done on stock car in order to incorporate maggie?
4. Powertrain warranty details from maggie manuf?

Thanks all for the information and input everyone gives on this board!

BigRob
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
congrats on the new car and great questions. welcome!

norm8332
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I live in so-cal and just got a brand spanking new '09 G8 GT and am considering a few mods including adding the 1900. I have a few questions:

1. How much more % reduced engine or tranny life would I expect from adding to a stock engine?
2. Noise differences from stock at idle, low rpms and WOT?
3. Other than tune, anything other mod needs to be done on stock car in order to incorporate maggie?
4. Powertrain warranty details from maggie manuf?

Thanks all for the information and input everyone gives on this board!

1. Still unknown. Less for sure.
2. Supercharger whine present with a CAI, I get a resonance (not loud) when at idle.
3. Recommend getting the bigger injectors with the kit. Recommend less restrictive exhaust. If you ever put a smaller pulley you need a Boost-a-pump and less restrictive exhaust. It can also be slapped on and everything left stock.
4. I didn't get the warranty. read the complete document on magnacharger's site.

MtbDoc
03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I will be posting my review and experience (so far) with the Maggie soon.

steined
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
2. Supercharger whine present with a CAI, I get a resonance (not loud) when at idle.
3. Recommend getting the bigger injectors with the kit. Recommend less restrictive exhaust. If you ever put a smaller pulley you need a Boost-a-pump and less restrictive exhaust. It can be slapped on and everything left stock.
4. I didn't get the warranty. read the complete document on magnacharger's site.

On number 2 above, does it sort of sound like a quiet diesel at idle? I'm trying to determine if it is the Corsa or the CAI or the Maggie I am hearing at idle. I don't hear it with windows open, outside the car, etc. Only inside with windows up at idle. I've thought about throwing on the stock airbox to see if it sounds different at idle. I don't so much care, but I'm curious :)

norm8332
03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
On number 2 above, does it sort of sound like a quiet diesel at idle? I'm trying to determine if it is the Corsa or the CAI or the Maggie I am hearing at idle. I don't hear it with windows open, outside the car, etc. Only inside with windows up at idle. I've thought about throwing on the stock airbox to see if it sounds different at idle. I don't so much care, but I'm curious :)

It seems to be the whole car resonating. If you are in the drivers seat it sounds like it's coming form the front passenger side. When you are in the passenger seat it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side...etc... I still have yet to pinpoint it. But I have noticed that if you put your hand on the fuel manifold (The squarish aluminum block the connects the line to the fuel rails) it seems to be emitting a vibration that is in sync with the noise as heard inside the car.. maybe the fuel system is somehow causing it?

I will continue to try and find the source..it is a little annoying.

Lgtitan
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
3. Recommend getting the bigger injectors with the kit. Recommend less restrictive exhaust. If you ever put a smaller pulley you need a Boost-a-pump and less restrictive exhaust. It can also be slapped on and everything left stock.

Thanks for the comments Norm. By any chance did you check for whine with the intake supplied by Magnacharger or did your car already have the Roto-Fab? I'm wondering if there is no whine as Magnusion claims on their website if you use their intakes.

steined
03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
I am pretty sure the Magnuson intake is the stock airbox with a new intake tube. I was thinking of throwing it on there to see how it sounded. If I can get to it this weekend I'll let you know.

G8GT721
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
is the resonance only present at idle, or does it get more pronounced with throttle input?

Lgtitan
03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I am pretty sure the Magnuson intake is the stock airbox with a new intake tube. I was thinking of throwing it on there to see how it sounded. If I can get to it this weekend I'll let you know.

Thanks man!

Out of curiosity are you also running a Roto-Fab? Are you getting whine?

BoostedToy
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't have a Magnacharger yet, but I am moving in that direction. I've been talking to a shop and we're working out details of what exactly I need to get where I want power-wise. I'll let you know everything I experience firsthand. I only know of only place killing a trans so far. This was Livernois, and the car was making well over 500rwhp for 30,000+ miles of street racing. It sounds like there are couple of trans tune tweaks that you can make and help out with longevity and powerhandling.

Andy@Livernois
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't have a Magnacharger yet, but I am moving in that direction. I've been talking to a shop and we're working out details of what exactly I need to get where I want power-wise. I'll let you know everything I experience firsthand. I only know of only place killing a trans so far. This was Livernois, and the car was making well over 500rwhp for 30,000+ miles of street racing. It sounds like there are couple of trans tune tweaks that you can make and help out with longevity and powerhandling.

actually it made over 650rwhp ;)

norm8332
03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
is the resonance only present at idle, or does it get more pronounced with throttle input?

It's really not loud at all, still pretty quiet. I notice it at idle and a little bit when decelerating. It seems that when the vacuum is the strongest (vacuum/boost gauge) is when it can be heard the most.

I really don't care much, I'm very happy with the maggie. But I will eventually I find it when I have time.

BoostedToy
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
actually it made over 650rwhp ;)

:headbang:

Livernois Motorsports
03-31-2009, 05:00 PM

Eric,

I'm 99.9% sure that the sound you are describing is the blower itself. I've noticed it on all of the Maggie G8's we've done.

-Rick

wagon540
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM
If i get one i will be looking for ways to make it louder, i want them to hear it coming.

BlownG8GT
03-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Where in the So Cal area are you? You are more than welcome to meet and go for a spin in my car.

Lgtitan
04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Where in the So Cal area are you? You are more than welcome to meet and go for a spin in my car.

Chino Hills. Where are you located? That would be cool if I can check out your setup. I also want to check out Mike's at Haddad but that is way more souped up than what I expect to do to mine.

Is yours with the maggie intake or an aftermarket? How is the noise/whine?

Thnx.

steined
04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Eric,

I'm 99.9% sure that the sound you are describing is the blower itself. I've noticed it on all of the Maggie G8's we've done.

-Rick

I think you are correct. The more I hunt for it the more I think it is the blower... It's no big deal... Certainly not a deal breaker. One step on the go pedal and you forget all about it. :woohoo:

DRAPER
04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Chino Hills. Where are you located? That would be cool if I can check out your setup. I also want to check out Mike's at Haddad but that is way more souped up than what I expect to do to mine.

Is yours with the maggie intake or an aftermarket? How is the noise/whine?

Thnx.

uhh ohh haha guess where i live??? CHINO..... guess what i have?? A magnacharged g8

haha dude if you want to check it out send me a message ill give you my number and call me and we can meet up ill give you a ride tooo.... where abouts in chino hills you located im off of central and phillips right below ontario
mine has the rotofab intake and theres a little whine noise like you can tell its there but its not that noticable even when ur really on it its not that loud...personally i like it over the screaming kenne bell whine

HaddadMotorsports
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
uhh ohh haha guess where i live??? CHINO..... guess what i have?? A magnacharged g8

haha dude if you want to check it out send me a message ill give you my number and call me and we can meet up ill give you a ride tooo.... where abouts in chino hills you located im off of central and phillips right below ontario
mine has the rotofab intake and theres a little whine noise like you can tell its there but its not that noticable even when ur really on it its not that loud...personally i like it over the screaming kenne bell whine

Or you guys can both come to the G8 BBQ in a couple of weaks and you can go for a ride in 3 different maggies cars all in one day :) and eat BBQ. :)

Thanks
Mike Haddad

DRAPER
04-02-2009, 05:42 PM
yeah what mike says haha.. ill be there haha we better be getting some gxp too!

Lgtitan
04-03-2009, 09:56 AM

I'm by Soquel Canyon and the 71 at the end of Central. You actually live close to my mom's place...she lives on central between francis and philips.

I will definitely take you up on that offer and send you a pm shortly!

Thanks.

Lgtitan
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Or you guys can both come to the G8 BBQ in a couple of weaks and you can go for a ride in 3 different maggies cars all in one day :) and eat BBQ. :)

Thanks
Mike Haddad

Thanks for the invite Mike! I will try my best to meet you guys at your shop that day. I still need to call you with questions about the maggie and LT header questions as well.

HaddadMotorsports
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Sitting by phone waiting for phone call :)

skinsfangreg
01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Errant post :(