PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Remove 3rd Brake Light To Tint Under?

confused2much
03-25-2009, 01:56 PM
There are two pop in fastners about 3" outboard of the brake light assembly that you can pop free by pulling on the outboard sides of the brake light. be careful not to pull too hard and break anything.

This is all that I found when I did a search. Anyone know any more details about this, or have any experience with removing the 3rd brake light. I am getting the car tinted tomorrow and I want to make sure the installer tints underneath. When I went out to the car to try this I felt like I was going to break something. Im not sure if I should pull down, out, or if Im not doing it right at all. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.

confused2much
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
there are 2 metal clips holding it in, the actual assembly is part of the headlining.

they are VERY tight to remove, easiest way would be to get your hands in the corners either side of the light and headlining, and try to grab some of the plastic inside the headlining to pull down

I also found this on another board. Followed it and it came down pretty easily. It doesnt seem to come off completely, but it does seem to allow enough room to tint behind and thats what I was after.

G8GXP4now
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Are you allowed to tint that part?

confused2much
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I do believe that it probably varies from state to state. That being said, I dont think legally you are even required by law to have a 3rd brake light. I could be wrong though. In Illinois we are allowed to tint all windows but the front two. And any % on the ones we can tint.

alex94z
03-26-2009, 06:34 AM
My tint guy was able to tint behind it without removing it. It pulls down a few inches, it was enough for him to get the water bubbles out.