PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question

99-LS1-SS
03-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Given the fact that I slipped the clutch first through second, is my clutch and flywheel screwed up now? I had someone indicate that once that happens it will never be right after that. If that is the case I guess I'll start saving for a real clutch and flywheel.

GRRRR8
03-25-2009, 05:40 AM
The flywheel is probably OK, the clutch disc is the is going to be the issue. I dont recommend a light weight flywheel as it is a heavy car and the heavier flywheel helps on the launch. A stage II should be fine and a 3 you will never have an issue, but possible "chatter" when cold.

Crazy Paul
03-25-2009, 05:59 AM
No it's not gloom and doom time just because of that. My clutch slipped thru 3rd, smoke everywhere, I got beaten by a ricer, and I limped home defeated.

Ordered a new clutch and took it easy for about a week and then forgot all about it. Drove it like normal for about 3 months and then it slipped momentarily just the once more. Since then there has not been any issue at all.
I've had that new LS7 clutch kit I bought, on standby here now for 2.5 years.
Every so often I test my clutch close to my house by taking off in 3rd gear, just to see if it will slip. It never does.

Sometimes you might get a few spots of glazing or a high spot forming on the disc and they'll sort themselves out....other times they just keep getting worse.

99-LS1-SS
03-25-2009, 06:01 AM
I'll try the third gear take off and see how it reacts. I think this thing would do a forth gear take off if I wanted to.

Devilish34
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Is this related to skip shifting or your hyd problem?

99-LS1-SS
03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
It's not related to the skip shift. It's all clutch and fluid related.

G8GXP4now
03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
With a decent clutch can we do 4000/5000 rpm clutch dumps (sure the rear won't like it)?

What aftermarket clutches are available and what are the costs?

Slizzo
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I'll try the third gear take off and see how it reacts. I think this thing would do a forth gear take off if I wanted to.

Take a look at the Top Gear review of the Vauxhall VXR8. That car isn't far off from the GXP...

Crazy Paul
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM

When I do the 3rd gear test it's done in granny mode on level ground. Select 3rd instead of 1st but use the clutch and throttle the same way you would in first when you're just taking off quietly or stuck in stop and go traffic.
Let the clutch out smoothly without intentionally slipping it.....and feed a touch more gas as you feel it bog. No more than 1500 rpm until the clutch is fully out.