PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

Pontiac1
03-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Have any of you had issues with the check engine light coming on and not going out? It has happend twice now. The first time I just removed the gas cap and put it back on as firmly as possible and the light went out a few minutes later when driving. This time I did the same and it is not going out?

fiveoh
03-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I had similar issues except taking the cap off and putting it back on did not fix it. I ended up having to get a new cap at the dealer. They told me they had replaced 3 other g8 caps that week so appaerntly its a common issue.

-Ray-
03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Have any of you had issues with the check engine light coming on and not going out? It has happend twice now. The first time I just removed the gas cap and put it back on as firmly as possible and the light went out a few minutes later when driving. This time I did the same and it is not going out?

Have the code read for you. There are more DTC's than just the gas cap.

bigwillys58
03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
any mods done to your car?

Pontiac1
03-26-2009, 04:14 AM
No mods have been done to the car. I removed and replaced the gas cap, drove for awhile, up to four times, it finally went out after the fourth time.

-Ray-
03-26-2009, 04:18 AM
The DTC will still be in memory for up to 10 starts I believe. As long as the condition that caused the DTC isn't repeated.

BigV8
04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I've got mine in now for a check engine light, onstar said it was a 442 code(last 4 #'s) maybe fuel cap, so when I got home after taking it off 3 other times and the light was stilll on, I found some sticky film on the tank filler neck, so I wiped it off. Don't know if that was the cause, had to put stock tune back before I took it in, but the light went out and didn't come back on.