PDA

View Full Version : Vararam "issues"

Ktlplxm
03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
How much play does everyone else have in their radiators after the Vararam install? I can move mine back and forth by a few inches. Additionally, the bottom edge of the flange doesn't rest on the upper part of the condenser like it says in the instructions. Finally the box doesn't seal firmly when the clasp are engaged... did I get a "bum" one?

Ktlplxm
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/ktlplxm/th_Vararamfitment.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/ktlplxm/?action=view&current=Vararamfitment.flv)

GRRRR8
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
From what I can see its not slid down in far enough.

jbradG8GT
03-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Your radiator should not move that much. You should call VaraRam to make sure you have all the parts in the box and make sure you installed it correctly

Ktlplxm
03-24-2009, 03:56 PM
From what I can see its not slid down in far enough.

If I go down any further it begins to collapse the inside of the bottom flimsy piece. I see a notch on the upper half, is the protusion on the core support supposed to rest there? There's not much that can be installed wrong...
Remove rad supports
Move wires
Let radiator lay back
Slide assembly in
Attach Silicone couplers

Missing anything?
1 box assembly
2 couplers
foot of hose
3 clamps

norm8332
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Weren't there rubber bumpers where the box contacted the radiator? are they missing on yours?

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1291&d=1237585175

kjac081
03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
My radiator has a little play in it, not as much as yours. The rear of the box seems to control the rear movement of the radiator, and the rubbers strips and the scoop control the forward movement.

Ktlplxm
03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Charlie and I think I may just be waay off on the high side of the tolerances...

GRRRR8
03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Charlie and I think I may just be waay off on the high side of the tolerances...

LOL! I always enjoy talking to you!

vararam
03-25-2009, 01:53 AM
How much play does everyone else have in their radiators after the Vararam install? I can move mine back and forth by a few inches. Additionally, the bottom edge of the flange doesn't rest on the upper part of the condenser like it says in the instructions. Finally the box doesn't seal firmly when the clasp are engaged... did I get a "bum" one? Please call us at 866-507-2648 and I will put you in touch with the tech to solve your problem. Anyone who has any "issues" please call us ASAP so we can help you!!!!
Thanks
Steve

Ktlplxm
03-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Please call us at 866-507-2648 and I will put you in touch with the tech to solve your problem. Anyone who has any "issues" please call us ASAP so we can help you!!!!
Thanks
Steve

I did call yesterday but could not get an answer, probably too late in the day. I'll get some more photos so I can email them too you so you can see what I'm experiencing.

kjac081
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey, I got mine last week and did not have any real issues with the install. Im sure you saw my thread. I just got back from visiting the guys at Vararam and they are great! Very eager to help us out and solve even the most minor issues. Here is another pic I just took. This shows how your intake should hug the radiator. What I found worked best, was after getting the intake coupled to the throttle body, I pushed gently on the intake to sort of lock it in place on the radiator, then tighten. This made the fit even tighter, not that i had any concern prior. I also solved my issue regarding the engine cover not fitting over the PCV tube, and will post those pictures later in my thread

99-LS1-SS
03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
My only concern so far is listed in the picture below. I used kjac081's image to illustrate my concern. I can take a picture of mine when I get home.
http://www.usamls.net/brandon/images/intake_diagram.jpg

wreckwriter
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Doesn't look like it's touching in the pic? Get some tool handle dip, its like thick rubber paint. That would pad it.

99-LS1-SS
03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
That isn't my car I just used the picture as an example.

kjac081
03-25-2009, 01:22 PM
IMHO, there is no way for that tab to jam into the intake, if that is what you were getting at. everything is firmly clamped to the throttle body, so unless the engine somehow moves forward, its not an issue

r33pwrd
03-25-2009, 01:38 PM
cut it off!

Ktlplxm
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I've found one of the things that was an issue at first that I did not see in the instructions (but I was missing one page), is in regards to the electrical connector on the passenger side of the radiator that jams against a metal tube near the fuse/relay box. Without disconnecting and relocating this connector it is impossible to lean the radiator back on the passenger side. Once that is relocated the tab jutting into the inlet is no longer a concern. The radiator "play" is just more than I expected even with the MAF fully seated into the TB connector and pressed down on the radiator so that the 2 weather stripping pieces are touching. I am also surprised by the amount of open area near the inlet duct at the top of the condensor. Although I'm sure the "ram air" effect is still present, I'm surprised by the openness surrounding the ductwork

fiveoh
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I've found one of the things that was an issue at first that I did not see in the instructions (but I was missing one page), is in regards to the electrical connector on the passenger side of the radiator that jams against a metal tube near the fuse/relay box. Without disconnecting and relocating this connector it is impossible to lean the radiator back on the passenger side. Once that is relocated the tab jutting into the inlet is no longer a concern. The radiator "play" is just more than I expected even with the MAF fully seated into the TB connector and pressed down on the radiator so that the 2 weather stripping pieces are touching. I am also surprised by the amount of open area near the inlet duct at the top of the condensor. Although I'm sure the "ram air" effect is still present, I'm surprised by the openness surrounding the ductwork

So you have yours installed and working now? Can you feel a difference?

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 05:01 AM
I am reluctant to say because I do not want anyone to take it the wrong way... but no I have not. However, I have had neither the time nor the weather conditions to really go out and drive the car hard. I plan on making a trip back to the shop tomorrow and seeing if adjusting the tune for more airflow actually helps or not. But you have to keep in mind, even if it adds 5rwhp, that shouldn't be felt in the seat of the pants.

r33pwrd
03-26-2009, 06:18 AM
I think with ANY OTR you will not see a huge difference without a tune!!

GRRRR8
03-26-2009, 06:25 AM
cut it off!

Agreed! With the variations on these cars that tab is worthless, so if it becomes an issue, get rid of it!

fiveoh
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I think with ANY OTR you will not see a huge difference without a tune!!

I was under the impression the OTR leaned out the car a little bit and since they are real rich from the factory wouldnt this produce more power?

r33pwrd
03-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I was under the impression the OTR leaned out the car a little bit and since they are real rich from the factory wouldnt this produce more power?

may be but the MAF has now moved... Im sure one of the tuners on here could explain it MUCH better than me...

GeorgeInNePa
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I am reluctant to say because I do not want anyone to take it the wrong way... but no I have not. However, I have had neither the time nor the weather conditions to really go out and drive the car hard. I plan on making a trip back to the shop tomorrow and seeing if adjusting the tune for more airflow actually helps or not. But you have to keep in mind, even if it adds 5rwhp, that shouldn't be felt in the seat of the pants.

Even if it made a 15hp difference, with your combo you probably wouldn't notice it.

;)

Eric_GT
03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
So, so far...it sounds as if the Vararam is not producing anything more than the other intakes. ?????
I know I had high expectations, as have many. I guess I was hoping for a big, "Man she takes off with a huge gulp of air!"

I want to hear more about the Vararam. As I have stated before, I feel the Volant has a better appearance but want to squeak out the most hp for the $$$.
So, with some fitment issues, and a radiator at best that still moves if only slightly...a lot to take in.

G8GXP4now
03-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Couldn't Brandon's issue be that he installed his on a GXP and not a GT?

r33pwrd
03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
So, so far...it sounds as if the Vararam is not producing anything more than the other intakes. ?????
I know I had high expectations, as have many. I guess I was hoping for a big, "Man she takes off with a huge gulp of air!"

I want to hear more about the Vararam. As I have stated before, I feel the Volant has a better appearance but want to squeak out the most hp for the $$$.
So, with some fitment issues, and a radiator at best that still moves if only slightly...a lot to take in.

and like said many times the OTR style like the vararam and New Era need to me in motion to be fully affective so no one as had the time in under a week to get the vararam... tune it... take it to the track... and than switch to another intake to compare to... tune.. and run it at the track all in the same day

Chewy
03-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd wait for track times...

The Commodore
03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I'll be putting mine on tonight. I'll let you guys know how it feels.

fiveoh
03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll be putting mine on tonight. I'll let you guys know how it feels.

:woohoo:

Eric_GT
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
and like said many times the OTR style like the vararam and New Era need to me in motion to be fully affective so no one as had the time in under a week to get the vararam... tune it... take it to the track... and than switch to another intake to compare to... tune.. and run it at the track all in the same day

Unfortunately, this form of testing will provide little to no value. Launch, track conditions, etc will provide different results.

Dyno testing is the best way to see what results are produced. Yet, as you have stated it is really difficult to get real numbers out of a ram air system.

I was just hoping for a Holy Shit this thing is amazing thread. Most of us have been waiting for 4+ months now to hear how this intake is.

SLA
03-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, this form of testing will provide little to no value. Launch, track conditions, etc will provide different results.

Dyno testing is the best way to see what results are produced. Yet, as you have stated it is really difficult to get real numbers out of a ram air system.

I was just hoping for a Holy Shit this thing is amazing thread. Most of us have been waiting for 4+ months now to hear how this intake is.

As r33pwrd stated, the testing would be done the same day so the track conditions obviously would be the same. The difference in launch shouldn't matter as you would compare trap speed.

ddcook08
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM
As r33pwrd stated, the testing would be done the same day so the track conditions obviously would be the same. The difference in launch shouldn't matter as you would compare trap speed.

The launch should be near identical, I mean, it's an automatic. It's all about consistency with the driver.

Eric_GT
03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
It's all about consistency with the driver.

Exactly. Will there be a large enough of a difference between this intake though and the others?
Extremely curious.

GeorgeInNePa
03-26-2009, 11:42 AM

That's your HP.

ddcook08
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
:charlie3:

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
There would be no need to really retune after the initial one for the ram air. the supossed decreased flow should be compensated for by the maf reading being lower, right?

GRRRR8
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
If your original tune was with the MAF in the stock location, it MUST have a tune due to the MAF being relocated.

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
no I'm saying if someone is wanting to compare with a vararam tuned vehicle, and they switch back to another, it shouldn't affect it greatly. The lack of airflow will be seen.. Otherwise no onewill ever be able to give a 100% guaranteed test. The short amount of time necessary to retune 100% and changing parts will allow track conditions to still be altered enough for someone to dispute it

GRRRR8
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh, I see what your saying. Yes unless it was a cool day with no temp increase, there is a variable, but if it was within a degree or 2 and both tunes were maximized for the air kits, I would think a conclusion of some sort should be able to be made.

99-LS1-SS
03-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh, I see what your saying. Yes unless it was a cool day with no temp increase, there is a variable, but if it was within a degree or 2 and both tunes were maximized for the air kits, I would think a conclusion of some sort should be able to be made.

Like red is slower than silver? :nah:

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Like red is slower than silver? :nah:

Careful haha, you aren't that far away from me!! We can test the Silver>Red-Theory!!

GRRRR8
03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Careful haha, you aren't that far away from me!! We can test the Silver>Red-Theory!!

Get him!! The result will be the same........RED blur disappears! :)

99-LS1-SS
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM

LOL! You dont count! You have a LS7 shade of red! Charlie on the other hand....

The Commodore
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
You guys can fight all night over who has the fastest color....but at the end of the day, the blue will look the best pulling away.

Eric_GT
03-27-2009, 04:27 AM
You guys can fight all night over who has the fastest color....but at the end of the day, the blue will look the best pulling away.

hahahahah

r33pwrd
03-27-2009, 06:49 AM

:theman:

Eric_GT
03-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, no more 'thinking about it'. Just got my p.m. lol

Shipping next Wednesday! :D

Ktlplxm
03-27-2009, 03:23 PM

There are blue ones that can pull away from people?

Ktlplxm
03-27-2009, 03:24 PM
LOL! You dont count! You have a LS7 shade of red! Charlie on the other hand....

I object!!!! It doesn't say LS7 anywhere on my car!! haha

beast
03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I installed my Vararam today and all I have to say is that my Gray ghost moves like a fart in the wind now.

khaneric
03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
So i just finished the install on mine and I think i might have some issues as well... i'll take some pictures tomorrow, but my rubber bushings on the Vararam are very squished, especially on the passenger side. Everything seems ok, just doesn't look like everyone else. The back rubber bushing is not flush to the radiator either.

jbradG8GT
04-01-2009, 02:11 AM
So i just finished the install on mine and I think i might have some issues as well... i'll take some pictures tomorrow, but my rubber bushings on the Vararam are very squished, especially on the passenger side. Everything seems ok, just doesn't look like everyone else. The back rubber bushing is not flush to the radiator either.

Call VaraRam