PDA

View Full Version : Non-AFM valley cover

DarkPhoenix
03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I have disabled AFM via EFILive already and want to clean up the engine bay and get rid of some of the tubes for the pcv. Can i swap in a valley cover from an LS2, it will definately fit, and have the lifters still work? Or will they get stuck in de-activated mode, leaving me with a 4 cylinder. I have the part numbers and it will be an easy swap, I just need to know if it will work

GeorgeInNePa
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty sure you would be cutting off the oil flow to the lifters, leaving you in 4cyl mode.

GRRRR8
03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
All or none.

Crazy Paul
03-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you would be cutting off the oil flow to the lifters, leaving you in 4cyl mode.

Nope.

"For V-8 operation, the pin is fully expanded by the spring so the two pieces act as one and the lifter acts like a regular lifter. When we want to disable the valve operation, we deliver high-pressure oil to a groove in the lifter that leads to the outside end of the pin, forcing the pin to collapse the spring. Now the two parts of the lifter are free to move relative to one another and as the cam lobe pushes on the follower the inner portion of the lifter pushes against another spring at the top of the lifter and does not transfer force to the pushrod."

To the OP.... it's a halfassed job just replacing the Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly with an LS2 style valley plate, and for the intention of just tidying up hoses, not a great idea IMO.

As per Charles on this....do the full job or not at all.

Mike@NewEra
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
What he said.

GeorgeInNePa
03-24-2009, 03:33 AM
It pays to read the fine print, I guess.

;)

I had that backwards.

DarkPhoenix
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I was trying to avoid pulling the heads with only 2k on the clock. This car is my dd so I cant have it down for any length of time. Right now I dont have the time for a major project, like pulling the heads or installing a cam. Ultimately I would like to go with a magnacharger when I have time. I just thought that this would be a good appearance mod for under the hood. I hate how there are all of the pcv lines all over the engine.

Crazy Paul
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I hate how there are all of the pcv lines all over the engine.

There's a Fresh Air supply tube into the passenger side valve cover.....that wouldn't change with your proposed mod.

The only other PCV hose comes out of the rear drivers side valve cover and goes into the passenger side intake manifold neck. Your proposed mod would required a new U shaped hose from the new valley plate up to the intake manifold.

So you'd tidy up 1 hose.

DarkPhoenix
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I was going to have the evap go to the driver's side of the intake. Cut the tube and re-wire the evap solonoid to sit behind the power steering. I was then going to cap the fresh air on the passenger side valve cover and install a breather filter on the rear of the drivers side head.
The more I talk about it the more of a hassle it seems for no performance gain. I was thinking this, along with the 2 piece holden engine covers that you offer would make for one nice looking engine.

Crazy Paul
03-24-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1694&highlight=breather
Read from post #9 onwards so you understand what adding a breather does.

DarkPhoenix
03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Very good point, I hadn't thought about that.
Thanks for the info!