PDA

View Full Version : Quietest axle-backs

conipc
03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Next to the stock units, what's the quietest axle back system? Pypes, Kooks, Magnaflow, or ______?

Ktlplxm
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Magnaflow

breakinparts
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
If you want quiet, just stick with stock and put the tail pipes of your choice on them?

davefr
03-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Magnaflow

But the feedback is that Magnaflows have the drone problem.

conipc
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
"tail pipes" meaning tips, or removing last mufflers?

jbradsh1
03-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Magnaflow

Actually the GXP mufflers are probably quietest except for stock, aren't they?

Naptown99
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Pypes are definitely NOT the quietest...

EcoBrick Bob
03-23-2009, 06:20 PM
If you turn the AFM/DOD off with a tune, Magnaflows have little if any drone.

Think the best solution to absolutely no drone with AFM, is to get a recording of the exhaust sound you like best and play it on your ipod while you drive!

Paniller
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Pypes drone quite a bit as well. From what I gather, any will if it's on the louder side.

That being said, I just went Pypes due to price. With the remaining money, I'm doing an H-pipe on Weds to add some character.

As for the drone...yeah, I have a gallon of two of sound proofing for its ass.
Pypes + H-pipe + eDead = $250 + $100 + $60 = $410ish
Other brands = $500ish

PantherGTBlack
03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
If you turn the AFM/DOD off with a tune, Magnaflows have little if any drone.

Think the best solution to absolutely no drone with AFM, is to get a recording of the exhaust sound you like best and play it on your ipod while you drive!

I turned off AFM with my cortex and have hardly any drone with my magnaflows. Mine are just a custom axle-back set. Might do an X or H pipe in the next month or two.

EcoBrick Bob
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I turned off AFM with my cortex and have hardly any drone with my magnaflows. Mine are just a custom axle-back set. Might do an X or H pipe in the next month or two.

I have S.F. custom Magnaflow axlebacks plus his H-pipe on White 08'. H-pipe replaces resonator so definitely makes car louder. 09' has Magnaflow catsback street system which is quieter. Both have VMS tunes with AFM/DOD de-activated. With radio off, both cars have rpm points where exhaust is more noticeable, but nothing like the drone you get with stock tune and AFM/DOD on/off low speed vibration/drone that almost drives you crazy when it continually goes in and out.

Ktlplxm
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
But the feedback is that Magnaflows have the drone problem.

Drone is the problem on all of them. Actually I shoudn't say that. Drone is a problem to me on all of them, but I like the quietest sound you can get... hell I even hate the sound of headers.

99-LS1-SS
03-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Actually the GXP mufflers are probably quietest except for stock, aren't they?

I can tell you first hand that the GXP mufflers too quiet. They are pretty free flowing. I'm still actively searching for a set of stock GT mufflers to try to quiet my car down some.

Ktlplxm
03-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I can tell you first hand that the GXP mufflers too quiet. They are pretty free flowing. I'm still actively searching for a set of stock GT mufflers to try to quiet my car down some.

Then you need to loan me yours so I can see how much potential power they rob on my car. If they are quiet, I'm in

davefr
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Drone is the problem on all of them. Actually I shoudn't say that. Drone is a problem to me on all of them, but I like the quietest sound you can get... hell I even hate the sound of headers.

What I'm after is that wonderful V-8 burble sound at start up and idle. From that point on the sound should be fairly quiet but still remind you it's a V-8. Once you hit WOT it can come alive again.

That drone that makes your head explode is totally unacceptable IMHO.

Will either Corsa Cat backs or MF axle backs deliver this?

-Ray-
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM

I have an H pipe. It is welded to my old exhaust though.

99-LS1-SS
03-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Then you need to loan me yours so I can see how much potential power they rob on my car. If they are quiet, I'm in

I meant to type that the GXP mufflers were not quiet. That's why I'm hunting a set of GT mufflers.

breakinparts
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM
"tail pipes" meaning tips, or removing last mufflers?

Correct, sorry I didn't clarify.

Really, for my car to have full exhaust, it is near silent at cruise. Kooks Gen II might be a good choice for an axleback.

matthewo
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
slp proflow? they seem to be pretty quite from what i have heard

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
What I'm after is that wonderful V-8 burble sound at start up and idle. From that point on the sound should be fairly quiet but still remind you it's a V-8. Once you hit WOT it can come alive again.

That drone that makes your head explode is totally unacceptable IMHO.

Will either Corsa Cat backs or MF axle backs deliver this?

The Corsa will gauranteed, Magnaflow isn't too bad

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
I meant to type that the GXP mufflers were not quiet. That's why I'm hunting a set of GT mufflers.

But they are potentially quieter than mine

GXPaycheck
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I have S.F. custom Magnaflow axlebacks plus his H-pipe on White 08'. H-pipe replaces resonator so definitely makes car louder. 09' has Magnaflow catsback street system which is quieter. Both have VMS tunes with AFM/DOD de-activated. With radio off, both cars have rpm points where exhaust is more noticeable, but nothing like the drone you get with stock tune and AFM/DOD on/off low speed vibration/drone that almost drives you crazy when it continually goes in and out.

Ditto. AFM drone is noticeable on both setups, although Street is quieter. AFM off is best way to go. I haven't noticed the 1800 rmp drone at all with either.

Devilish34
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM

I'll meet you have way and we can swap...hell I'll even bring the 15mm wrench and ramps :p

MichaelG8
05-10-2009, 06:08 PM
So would anyone agree with this being the best setup fro those wanting no drone but an exhaust that actually makes the V8 under the hood audible?:

* Magnaflow axle-backs and some "Dynomat" in the trunk.

I may be doing this......:secret:

jmh325
05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
So would anyone agree with this being the best setup fro those wanting no drone but an exhaust that actually makes the V8 under the hood audible?:

* Magnaflow axle-backs and some "Dynomat" in the trunk.

I may be doing this......:secret:

just finished mine this w/e...trunk floor, under rear seat.. frt/back of rear seat support, above /below pkg tray, used a total of 50 sqft of butyl mat

i currently have a vararam and axle back MF, reduces cabin noise by 50%, still has a slight but annoying AFM drone, looking to cure that with a VMS tune due to arrive this week :woohoo: