PDA

View Full Version : Rusted manifold but only on one cylinder?

NYG8GT
03-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I noted this today while doing my HID's. Seems kind of odd to me, anyone have an idea what might cause this? I checked the left bank and all 4 cylinders are the same color, this is the only one to have rusting like this. Is this something I should take to the dealer before the warranty runs out? And no, headers are not an option lol. Thanks guys.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/rboddy/0322091221.jpg

Blackrider
03-22-2009, 01:23 PM
They're un coated cast Iron, of course they're going to rust, mine are also rusting unevenly, Its normal.

r33pwrd
03-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Lots more heat in that area = rust. you can have the mnaifolds coated if it bothers you that much. but wast of Money IMO.

BigRob
03-22-2009, 02:27 PM
i had the exact same question! lol that looks like a pic of my engine bay! i figured that maybe some water gets in around that area causing some of the rust. i was trippin when i saw it tho

Mike@NewEra
03-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I saw the same thing on my g8 when I had stock exhaust manifolds.
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.75 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

NYG8GT
03-22-2009, 03:47 PM
They're un coated cast Iron, of course they're going to rust, mine are also rusting unevenly, Its normal.
I know theyre uncoated cast iron, its not the rust Im questioning, its the different shade of rust I was concerned with. That one cylinder is orange and the rest are darker and evenly shaded. I was just wondering if maybe that cylinder could be running hotter or colder than the other 7, which *might* indicate some sort of problem.

Lots more heat in that area = rust. you can have the mnaifolds coated if it bothers you that much. but wast of Money IMO.
Having more heat in that area makes sense, but the other side isnt like that one. I definitely wouldnt bother with having them coated though. Id just get some shorties at that point ;)

i had the exact same question! lol that looks like a pic of my engine bay! i figured that maybe some water gets in around that area causing some of the rust. i was trippin when i saw it tho
I was also thinking water, thats a good probability. However I would think the other side would have the same thing.

I saw the same thing on my g8 when I had stock exhaust manifolds.

Mike since youre familiar with tuning these, have you noticed anything special on this cylinder (is it 7 or 8 on the driver side?) that might indicate it runs hotter or colder than the other 7?

Juniorss
03-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Hahah I just noticed this the other day too. I guess its normal then

BSmith
03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Cylinder 7, I believe, is known to run lean on these motors. And that would be #7. It's probably just a coincidence though.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Must be that fine Chinese ore :(

BluYa76
04-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Alright, I figured it out, kudos to me!!! Seriously, it's do to water dropping down on that particular part of the manifold when it rains and the car is sitting. If you let yours sit without driving it, and then open the hood, you'll notice that there is water dropping down on it for some reason, and only in that area.