PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper seems to be darker than rest of car

UGotSmkd
03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I did a search because I know it has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. I have been looking real hard at my rear bumper and it seems to me that it is off a shade or 2 of white. Was there somebody that could look up VIN #'s to see if it has been repainted? If it is off, what can I do to fix it?

99-LS1-SS
03-22-2009, 12:19 PM
This is very common. My bumper is a slightly different color too. It's because the bumpers and sometimes the mirrors are painted at a different time and sometimes a different location. My brother owns a body shop and deals with this regularly.

MANOFSTEEL69
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
The car isn't painted all at the same time, so you're not going to get it to match.

Master8ter
03-22-2009, 12:24 PM
That's not the issue. It's that bumpers have an additive which gives the paint a flexible property, and this additive can cause discoloration in the paint. Depending on the chemical makup of the paint, this can be subtle - as in your case - or drastic. If you want to see what drastic looks like, toyota's gold color used on camry's and other sedan's from circa 1994 to about 2006, all have front and rear bumpers that look silver, and not gold.

NYG8GT
03-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I've noticed the same thing in certain lighting. From what I understand, plastic and metal always look different when painted, especially with metallic colors. Probably has to do with the flex additive as Master8ter said.

UGotSmkd
03-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I've noticed the same thing in certain lighting. From what I understand, plastic and metal always look different when painted, especially with metallic colors. Probably has to do with the flex additive as Master8ter said.

Yeah, I didn't think of that. I only noticed because the lighting in my garage doesn't quite shine that bright on my bumper, thus the look of discoloration.

BigRob
03-22-2009, 02:25 PM
same thing here, i hate it honestly. i just dont even look at it anymore

NYG8GT
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I just looked at my car a little while ago during sunset, and this time the bumper actually looked LIGHTER than the rest of the car, go figure lol.

r33pwrd
03-22-2009, 04:19 PM
That's not the issue. It's that bumpers have an additive which gives the paint a flexible property, and this additive can cause discoloration in the paint.

this is a poor excuse... almost every car on the road uses a flex agent and most DO NOT have the color issue I have.

UGotSmkd
03-22-2009, 04:39 PM
this is a poor excuse... almost every car on the road uses a flex agent and most DO NOT have the color issue I have.

I think it really might be because the bumper is plastic and the rest of the car is metal. IDK about the flex agent causing it though.

MichaelG8
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I think it really might be because the bumper is plastic and the rest of the car is metal. IDK about the flex agent causing it though.

i would say a combo. of both. i just noticed the difference in color on saturday.

Orange Crush
03-25-2009, 04:04 AM
I was involved in a minor rear end accident and had my bumper repaired and I swore the body shop used a different color on my bumper. After reading this thread I feel a bit better.....

bigtreepu
03-25-2009, 05:04 AM
I was involved in a minor rear end accident and had my bumper repaired and I swore the body shop used a different color on my bumper. After reading this thread I feel a bit better.....

I was in a minor front end collision in my wife's trailblazer. In no way shape or form is the paint the same color on the front as it is in the back. Should I take it back and make them fix it right? We just got it back on Saturday.

~Matt