PDA

View Full Version : Underdrive pulley hard to install?

liquidred1
03-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Just wondering if this is something a novice could do on his own. I have the powerbond 25% underdrive pulley. I also have the new belt and bolt needed for it. I just need a puller. I see this pulley also has markings for timing on it, do i need to do anytthing with that?

djchubbs
03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
no it is pretty simple to do just remove the belts which sometimes can be the hardest part, remove the pulley bolt and install the puller make sure you dont pull on the belt mounting surface. The crank shaft is keyed so the pulley can only go on one position. Make sure you use correct torque specs and when you tighten the bolt try and use the fly wheel or a pry bar to keep the engine from turning over. Hope this helps

GeorgeInNePa
03-21-2009, 09:38 AM
no it is pretty simple to do just remove the belts which sometimes can be the hardest part, remove the pulley bolt and install the puller make sure you dont pull on the belt mounting surface. The crank shaft is keyed so the pulley can only go on one position. Make sure you use correct torque specs and when you tighten the bolt try and use the fly wheel or a pry bar to keep the engine from turning over. Hope this helps

The stock crankshaft is NOT keyed.

OP, use a three jaw puller to remove the stock balancer/pulley. The timing marks mean nothing to you right now.

liquidred1
03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
The stock crankshaft is NOT keyed.

OP, use a three jaw puller to remove the stock balancer/pulley. The timing marks mean nothing to you right now.

So i can just put the new pulley on and torque the bolt down to specs? What is the torque of the bolt supposed to be?

GeorgeInNePa
03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
So i can just put the new pulley on and torque the bolt down to specs? What is the torque of the bolt supposed to be?

Stock TTY style or ARP bolt?

liquidred1
03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
arp bolt

GeorgeInNePa
03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
230 or 240 ft-lbs, I can't remember which. Let me search...

ETA:

230 seems to be the number.

liquidred1
03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
230 or 240 ft-lbs, I can't remember which. Let me search...

ETA:

230 seems to be the number.

alrighty then, thanx buddy:)

todds87ss
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a couple of tips I'll share after doing several.
1. Ensure that the puller that you are using is not pushing directly on the threads of the crank. You will ruin the threads and have to retap them prior to the install. I used a short socket between the puller and crank to prevent damage.
2. to install the new pulley, get a longer bolt (3/4 inch longer) with washers and use it to fully seat the pulley. Then take the long bolt out and torque the new one on.
3. I recommend Loc-tite. I always use red for these applications. There have been many instances of these non-keyway press fit parts coming off. I have found mine loose (on a previous ls1) on more than 1 occasion. Torque it, and loc-tite it.
Good luck.