PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator Pedal Got Stuck Tonight!

bowtiefan
03-20-2009, 06:27 PM
While merging onto the freeway this evening, I put the pedal to the floor. To my dismay, the pedal would not disengage when I took my foot off it. I pumped the pedal a few times to try to unjam it, but it kept accelerating. I put the car into neutral and within about 10 seconds, the accelerator freed-up. This happend several more times on the highway while accelerating. When I got home and the car was off, I pressed the accelerator with my hand a few times to try to free things up. I drove it again on the highway and that seemed to free up whatever was causing the sticking as it didn't happen again.

I did a search and could not find anyone else having this problem. I'm going to drive it a while longer before calling the dealer, but I'm hesitant now to have my wife drive the car.

Has anyone else experienced something like this before or know what could have caused this? Think this was an isolted incident? By the way, this happened at 997 miles, I was looking forward to seeing the car turn to 1,000 without any glitches! LOL

GRRRR8
03-20-2009, 06:29 PM
There is no cable so it has an issue with the pedal position sensors and NEEDS to be checked ASAP!

confused2much
03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
That's pretty crazy. At least you were able to keep your composure and think well enough to put it into neutral. I can see some people panicking in that situation.

99-LS1-SS
03-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Check the carpet and make sure it isn't catching the pedal some how. That happened on my 04 Cobra at the drag strip.

bowtiefan
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks! I will check the mats in the daylight. I put winter rubber mats on top of the carpeted ones, so maybe something got stuck. I'll double check that first! If that's not the problem, I'll have the dealer check the pedal position sensors asap.

R.Penguin
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
While merging onto the freeway this evening, I put the pedal to the floor. To my dismay, the pedal would not disengage when I took my foot off it. I pumped the pedal a few times to try to unjam it, but it kept accelerating. I put the car into neutral and within about 10 seconds, the accelerator freed-up. This happend several more times on the highway while accelerating. When I got home and the car was off, I pressed the accelerator with my hand a few times to try to free things up. I drove it again on the highway and that seemed to free up whatever was causing the sticking as it didn't happen again.

I did a search and could not find anyone else having this problem. I'm going to drive it a while longer before calling the dealer, but I'm hesitant now to have my wife drive the car.

Has anyone else experienced something like this before or know what could have caused this? Think this was an isolted incident? By the way, this happened at 997 miles, I was looking forward to seeing the car turn to 1,000 without any glitches! LOL

Pontiac = Driving Excitement! :rofl:

Xyro TR1
03-21-2009, 02:14 AM
This happened on my friends car when he first got it. I gave it a WOT and the pedal got stuck under the mat. Luckily, a mash of the brakes brought it to a stop, since it was so underpowered.

Evil SVT
03-21-2009, 03:01 AM
There is a recall on my cobra for that issue, the pedal "sometimes" gets caught with the carpet. It happened to me once while going down the track 140mph+, turning off the car, slamming my brakes and pulling the e-brake saying some prayers helped me.

Try getting the pedal stuck with the carpet while in the driveway with the car off, if that doesn't look like the problem, I would seriously have that checked.

99-LS1-SS
03-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Try getting the pedal stuck with the carpet while in the driveway with the car off, if that doesn't look like the problem, I would seriously have that checked.

Yes, do this! I assumed that this was a no brainer but to be safe, do this.

bowtiefan
03-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Well, I just went outside to assess the situation. The culprit of the sticking pedal was my rubber floor mats! The bottom of the accelerator pedal was catching in a rib on the mat when I depressed it. I kinda feel dumb now, but glad that's all that it turned out to be. I'll have to find a way to keep these mats from sliding. Thanks for everyone's help!

99-LS1-SS
03-21-2009, 05:44 AM
I would cut a notch in the floor mat if I was you. Safety over appearance!

avintegrator
03-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Keep the mats in mind if you get pulled over for speeding! Shut the car down and coast to a stop and tell the nice officer what happened. Make sure to push the mats forward with one foot before he gets to the window and try and look flustered.
Not that I would ever try such a stunt;)
BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

GTPprix
03-21-2009, 08:53 AM
This is Pontiacs new break-in program. All new G8's will go WOT at unexpected times and places. This will occur randomly until the engine is broken in or the car totalled.

Pontiac = Driving Excitement! :rofl:

Bwahhahahah now THAT would be funny :D

GeorgeInNePa
03-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Factory floor matts and carpet are cheap.

The whole car? Not so much...

jbradsh1
03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm going to drive it a while longer before calling the dealer, but I'm hesitant now to have my wife drive the car.

LOL

Just make sure your life insurance payments are up to date, just kidding, take it to the dealer, like yesterday!

R.Penguin
03-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Bwahhahahah now THAT would be funny :D
I like your sense of humor Chris.

Even if it is a bit warped! :p

:oops:

MRM
03-23-2009, 06:12 AM
I had that happen in my Trans Am GTA about 12 years ago that I used to have. The throttle bracket had a piece that angled out a bit and it got caught behind the clamp on the air intake. It did this on a very winding road. It was scarey. I finally had to knock it into neutral and shut the car off. I moved the clamp out of the way and it never got stuck again.

JoeSyko
03-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I'll have to find a way to keep these mats from sliding.

My floor mats "snap" into place...did some of our cars not come with that option? Or are the mats still moving even after being snapped into place?

PantherGTBlack
03-23-2009, 07:57 AM
My floor mats "snap" into place...did some of our cars not come with that option? Or are the mats still moving even after being snapped into place?

He has rubber winter mats over the stock carpeted ones.

PantherGTBlack
03-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Well, I just went outside to assess the situation. The culprit of the sticking pedal was my rubber floor mats! The bottom of the accelerator pedal was catching in a rib on the mat when I depressed it. I kinda feel dumb now, but glad that's all that it turned out to be. I'll have to find a way to keep these mats from sliding. Thanks for everyone's help!

I had this happen to me a few times when I first got my license, I was like...WTF???!!!!!! Damn rubber floor mat slid over enough for the edge of my pedal to get stuck on them.

MRM
03-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Don't use rubber floor mats for that reason.

hayabusa160
04-01-2009, 05:40 PM
thats why they dont allow you to have floor mats in the car when you auto x.

Got 8?
04-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Had this happen while half asleep going in at 4:00 in the morning. Was passing an older Suburban in the wife's TBSS. Same culprit...the pedal got stuck on the rubber floor mat on top of the factory carpet mats. I stomped down on the pedal about 4 times in quick succession and it popped loose...

400+ HP and 4.10 gears stuck balls to the wall at over 100mph and climbing can sure wake you up in the morning...LOL

alan12vargas
05-02-2009, 05:38 PM

yeah i got da fuckin shit scared out of me doddamit fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was meging to an interstate and i step on the gas and da car went aight.but when i got my foot of the gas it keept goin fast and faster and i didnt have anywhere to pull over so stepped on the brake till i found somewhere but the brakes kept smokin and i had to turn da car off and when i step all the way it happens over and over,,,by the way i have a grand am 2003 .

RxApple
05-02-2009, 05:43 PM
yeah i got da fuckin shit scared out of me doddamit fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was meging to an interstate and i step on the gas and da car went aight.but when i got my foot of the gas it keept goin fast and faster and i didnt have anywhere to pull over so stepped on the brake till i found somewhere but the brakes kept smokin and i had to turn da car off and when i step all the way it happens over and over,,,by the way i have a grand am 2003 .

I have no idea what you just tried to say...

PerfectD3
05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I have no idea what you just tried to say...

LOL I was thinking the same thing

TomPierce
05-03-2009, 03:56 AM
I use Binder Clips (from any office supply store) to fasten the rubber floor mat to the original mat - since the original is secured to the floor, neither of them can move.

gagecalman
05-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Good idea.

Panzer Leader
06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
NOTHING LIKE RAMMING SPEED Had a similar problem in 1975 with a brand new Dodge Charger SE with fine Corithian Leather. Cruise Control stuck open coming off the interstate in Petersburg VA. Combination of hard braking, shifting into neutral and a lot of AWW SHITS before coming to a stop. Another reason why it was my first and only Chrysler piece of horse shit. Too bad we did not sell them to China.